Age of Realms: Magic [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby lord voldemort on Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:35 pm

oh thats annoying...it caught me off...luckiley im in pretty commanding lead..
thanks dim.
great map!
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Medals: 66
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (13) Tournament Contribution (8) General Contribution (3)

Postby DiM on Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:57 pm

lord voldemort wrote:oh thats annoying...it caught me off...luckiley im in pretty commanding lead..
thanks dim.
great map!

no problem. next time read the legend :lol:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby The1exile on Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:58 pm

DiM wrote:so eon connects only to ikalu and vesk.

And thus, Mua + resource + Ghyr + resource + dock triangle = killer bonuses.
Lieutenant The1exile

Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby wicked on Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:29 am

I'm putting this here since it's the most recent one, but it applies to the first one too. I see the Objective now (had to get Yeti to explain objectives...lol) is to "Unite the Realms" on these maps, as an alternate way of winning. I don't believe this makes it clear enough that uniting the realms = win the game. I know space it tight on the maps, but is there anyway to add that unite the realms= win the game instruction to these maps? It's not clear to those of us who don't live here in the foundry, which is 95% of the site. Thanks for considering.
Major wicked

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby yeti_c on Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:47 am

wicked wrote:I'm putting this here since it's the most recent one, but it applies to the first one too. I see the Objective now (had to get Yeti to explain objectives...lol) is to "Unite the Realms" on these maps, as an alternate way of winning. I don't believe this makes it clear enough that uniting the realms = win the game. I know space it tight on the maps, but is there anyway to add that unite the realms= win the game instruction to these maps? It's not clear to those of us who don't live here in the foundry, which is 95% of the site. Thanks for considering.

I think this is a failing of the site rather than the Map really...

The site should have better instructions regarding the Objectives.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby wicked on Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:09 am

I agree somewhat, but think it's a failing of both. I can assure you that the vast majority of the people on this site do not read instructions, so while we should also put something in the instructions, it does need to be on the maps as well IMO.
Major wicked

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)

Postby rebelman on Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:17 am

wicked wrote:I agree somewhat, but think it's a failing of both. I can assure you that the vast majority of the people on this site do not read instructions, so while we should also put something in the instructions, it does need to be on the maps as well IMO.

i believe this is due to be included in the instructions (it was mentioned on another thread) as for making this clear on the map - it was even more vague on age of realms befor I and some others pushed DiM to go as far as he did. good luck convincing him to further expand. :wink:
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby DiM on Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:20 pm

first of all the site needs better explanations of all gimmicks used on maps.
writing long legends to explain what bombardments and one way attacks are is really nasty especially when space is so tight.

second i think it's up to the map maker to do the map as he likes. i want my objectives to be a bit vague and yet very clear to those that know where to look.

even now i'm not totally happy with the amount of info i had to put on the map. i wish it was more vague.

and btw if anybody is curious about the clues on the map he has 3 options:
1. figure the clues and do the objective to win the game
2. go to the forums and ask what are the clues about
3. do nothing

btw wiked. if you didn't enjoy that bit of clue i guess you'll hate the riddler. just do a search for it in the map ideas if you're curious
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)

Postby wicked on Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:27 pm

Explanations of gimmicks are exactly what's needed. And the most appropriate place is on the map. People will not go very far to search for an answer. But I do understand the lack of space on the map.

I know there's Map Info pages in the works, could it be something that is included there (if it's not already)? I think that would be sufficient.

Edit: OK I see it there on the map info pages. Looks good.

I will check out that riddler. thanks.
Major wicked

Postby Coleman on Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:33 pm

wicked wrote:I agree somewhat, but think it's a failing of both. I can assure you that the vast majority of the people on this site do not read instructions, so while we should also put something in the instructions, it does need to be on the maps as well IMO.
We have something in the works that we hope lack is willing to implement that will place the more complex maps in their own section (complete with a tooltip players are forced to at least glimpse if they attempt to join such a map) explaining that the map is way beyond average risk and may require some extra study on their part to fully understand.

This combined with the info pages when we are ready with them should be more then enough to handle a lot of these problems.

Of course we probably need to wait until the UI hire is ready.

Anyways like they say, you can only lead a horse to water, you can't make them drink but we're sure going to try...

PS... I didn't know we had a draft of the riddler. :?
Last edited by Coleman on Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (6) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby DiM on Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:34 pm

wicked wrote:Explanations of gimmicks are exactly what's needed. And the most appropriate place is on the map. People will not go very far to search for an answer. But I do understand the lack of space on the map.

I know there's Map Info pages in the works, could it be something that is included there (if it's not already)? I think that would be sufficient.

to include all the explanations on the map it would mean some maps would simply double in size because of all the text.

look at magic. it has the decay feature. i called it frostbyte and pointed on the map that the frostbyte terits lose 1 army per turn.
but there's much more than that. it has to be said that neutrals aren't affected by frostbyte, it has to be said it applies when you press bgin turn, if also has to be said that it continues to kill 1 troop each turn until you have just 1 left. it doesn't turn to neutral.

but all this info is impossible to put on any map.

imagine having 1 way, decay, bombardments, starting neutrals, autodeploy, and a few other tweaks plus a weird non classic bonus system (ie merchants map).
that map would simply be impossible to make because of the pages over pages of explanations.

the best solution is to somehow mark terits as having bombardments or say in the legend X bombards Y and that's all. people will go to the instructions or go to the map info page and read everything they need.
Major DiM

Postby wicked on Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:52 pm

Ahh yes, maps that need a manual, and have instructions bigger than maps. :lol: I always stay away from those. All the instructions is a good thing though, as it lets me know not to bother at first glance. :wink:

BTW, I see your point and am thinking the map info pages is the way to go for all that info.
Major wicked

Postby mibi on Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:07 am

has anyone won by objective? And not when you already dominated the map.
Captain mibi

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Postby Lone.prophet on Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:28 am

i won some times by objective while i wasnt winning :) in armies
Captain Lone.prophet

Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Map Contribution (1)

Postby DiM on Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:00 am

mibi wrote:has anyone won by objective? And not when you already dominated the map.

it's been done many times but from what i've seen only on fog. it's pretty hard to do it when there's no fog but it is possible in the right conditions.

for example it's chained fortifications and people have their armies split and you have a big army. go for sanctuary and they won't be able to stop you cause you have a bigger army there (despite having an overall lower army count and lower bonus)
Major DiM

Postby mibi on Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:48 am

DiM wrote:
mibi wrote:has anyone won by objective? And not when you already dominated the map.

it's been done many times but from what i've seen only on fog. it's pretty hard to do it when there's no fog but it is possible in the right conditions.

for example it's chained fortifications and people have their armies split and you have a big army. go for sanctuary and they won't be able to stop you cause you have a bigger army there (despite having an overall lower army count and lower bonus)

yeah I like that idea...although the -10 really scares people off tho
Captain mibi

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Postby DiM on Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:52 am

mibi wrote:
DiM wrote:

yeah I like that idea...although the -10 really scares people off tho

the -10 only kicks in when you begin your turn. so let's say you leave 10 troops in url, they will be a very effective defence until you begin your turn. then those 10 will die but it won't really matter if you already hold the sanctuary. :D
Major DiM

Postby wcaclimbing on Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:30 am

when will the 3rd in the trilogy be released to the map foundry?
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (2)

Postby DiM on Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:34 am

wcaclimbing wrote:when will the 3rd in the trilogy be released to the map foundry?

when i get the graphic skills needed for what i have in mind and when some xml issues are solved.
Major DiM

Postby jwithington on Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:09 pm

this map is the best thing in conquer club since dice.

esp with fog or war! thanks for a great great addition that made the game new again.
Corporal 1st Class jwithington

Standard Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1)

Postby DiM on Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:18 pm

jwithington wrote:this map is the best thing in conquer club since dice.

esp with fog or war! thanks for a great great addition that made the game new again.

you're welcome mate. :D
Major DiM

Postby Qwert on Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:00 pm

why Sancuary have 75 neutral army? :?
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Medals: 77
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (6)
Training Achievement (2) Map Contribution (8) Tournament Contribution (22) General Contribution (4)

Postby Sir. Ricco on Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:48 pm

Cuase if you take it and hold it for 1 round you win the game.
Captain Sir. Ricco

Medals: 53
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (31)

Postby Qwert on Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:41 pm

its a litle bad idea?
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Medals: 77
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (6)
Training Achievement (2) Map Contribution (8) Tournament Contribution (22) General Contribution (4)

Postby The1exile on Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:43 pm

Why do you think so? I don't. Might consider reducing it to about 50 to allow it to be taken earlier, but that might make it too easy for many player games.
Lieutenant The1exile

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas