[Official] British Isles REVAMP [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Territories switched on new British Isles map (BUG)

Postby MrBenn on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:34 pm

The problem was caused by a slight change in the territory order in the XML. A corrected version of the XML has been submitted to lackattack, and will be uploaded as soon as he gets it.

Thanks for your patience,

MrBenn ;-)
Image
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
User avatar
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member
 
Posts: 7050
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:32 am
Location: Off Duty
Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Re: Territories switched on new British Isles map (BUG)

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:16 pm

MrBenn wrote:This is probably due to a change in the order the territories are listed in the new XML...

Also, when u attack oxon on the new map, where u select which place u want to attack, it has oxfordshire instead of oxon, and this probably happened to other places as well
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER
 
Posts: 1088
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:09 pm
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Territories switched on new British Isles map (BUG)

Postby the.killing.44 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:19 pm

LED ZEPPELINER wrote:
MrBenn wrote:This is probably due to a change in the order the territories are listed in the new XML...

Also, when u attack oxon on the new map, where u select which place u want to attack, it has oxfordshire instead of oxon, and this probably happened to other places as well

Look at the key … Oxon = Oxfordshire

.44
User avatar
Major the.killing.44
 
Posts: 4737
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:43 pm
Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes
Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (4)

Re: Territories switched on new British Isles map (BUG)

Postby MrBenn on Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:40 pm

This is a discussion that can take place in the map thread in the Final Forge...

[tannoy for a global moderator...]
Image
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
User avatar
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member
 
Posts: 7050
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:32 am
Location: Off Duty
Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Re: [Official] British Isles REVAMP [Quenched]

Postby mrblitz on Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:41 pm

I went from really liking this map, to not wanting to play it. The colors are all washed out. There is little contrast between the lettering and the background. The entire thing is 'whitish.'

The old one was great.
Sergeant 1st Class mrblitz
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:27 pm
Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Map descriptions for map info. project [moderated]

Postby pinkflaminko on Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:50 pm

why is the british isles map changed? it was perfect, just for the sake of improving? it looks better but there was nothing wrong, i will miss the old british isles
User avatar
Cadet pinkflaminko
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:35 pm
Location: Why do you need to know? Mind your own business!
Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: [Official] British Isles REVAMP [Quenched]

Postby Ryall55 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:57 pm

Havent played on the revamped map, but I love the way it looks :)
Highest Score: 3073 - Brig - 7th in UK - 69th Overall
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Ryall55
 
Posts: 1026
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:16 pm
Location: Buckinghamshire
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (4) Tournament Contribution (2)

Re: Territories switched on new British Isles map (BUG)

Postby ahunda on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:12 pm

It´s fixed now, and all armies are back to where they are supposed to be.

Thanks. :)
Field Marshal ahunda
 
Posts: 411
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:52 am
Medals: 28
Conqueror Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2)
Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (6)

Re: Territories switched on new British Isles map (BUG)

Postby The Fuzzy Pengui on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:19 pm

Moving per MrBenn's request :)
Gilligan wrote:I'M SO GOOD AT THIS GAME
My stepmom locked the bathroom door
So I opened the lock with my shoelace
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class The Fuzzy Pengui
 
Posts: 2337
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:52 pm
Location: Ohio
Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (5)

Re: [Official] British Isles REVAMP [Quenched]

Postby soundman on Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:05 pm

mrblitz wrote:I went from really liking this map, to not wanting to play it. The colors are all washed out. There is little contrast between the lettering and the background. The entire thing is 'whitish.'

The old one was great.

I agree that it is too pale, but it's not bad when you get the armies on it. :) It's also easier to tell where the territory borders are than on the old one.
User avatar
Lieutenant soundman
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:36 pm
Location: Washington
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (13) Tournament Contribution (1)

Re: [Official] British Isles REVAMP [Quenched]

Postby stringybeany on Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:48 am

Very nice job!

In case no one has yet mentioned (very long thread), "oxon" is still listed as "oxfordshire" in the xml.
Image
Weak kill shots in esc = Loser
Mind your troop count and look ahead!
User avatar
Major stringybeany
 
Posts: 506
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 10:28 am
Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (1)

Re: [Official] British Isles REVAMP [Quenched]

Postby gimil on Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:35 am

stringybeany wrote:Very nice job!

In case no one has yet mentioned (very long thread), "oxon" is still listed as "oxfordshire" in the xml.


Thats the intention :)
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: [Official] British Isles REVAMP [Quenched]

Postby niMic on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:01 am

Honestly, I preferred the old British Isles.
User avatar
Colonel niMic
 
Posts: 816
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:02 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (17)

Re: [Official] British Isles REVAMP [Quenched]

Postby _big_easy_ on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:44 pm

Why Revamp a map that had nothing wrong with it?

Jesus, guys, you don't have to constantly fool with EVERYTHING.

And you wonder why you're losing members....
Major _big_easy_
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:02 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA
Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1)

Re: [Official] British Isles REVAMP [Quenched]

Postby RjBeals on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:46 pm

_big_easy_ wrote:Why Revamp a map that had nothing wrong with it?

Jesus, guys, you don't have to constantly fool with EVERYTHING.

And you wonder why you're losing members....


I think overall more users like the revamp over the original. There's the nostalgia thing to get over, but the old one got many many complaints on how hard it was to tell borders.
Image
User avatar
Private RjBeals
 
Posts: 2506
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:17 pm
Location: South Carolina, USA
Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
General Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Re: [Official] British Isles REVAMP [Quenched]

Postby _big_easy_ on Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:09 pm

RjBeals wrote:
_big_easy_ wrote:Why Revamp a map that had nothing wrong with it?

Jesus, guys, you don't have to constantly fool with EVERYTHING.

And you wonder why you're losing members....


I think overall more users like the revamp over the original.


I think the Man in the Moon will come down and sing me a song if I just dance harder for him. But that doesn't make it so.
Only British Isles game I'm in right now is a 6 player game, and 4 of us have already commented on not liking the change.
The other two haven't chatted since the change took place. That's a 66.666% disapproval rating so far.

There's the nostalgia thing to get over, but the old one got many many complaints on how hard it was to tell borders.


There's already an easy fix to that, clicking "Larger Map".....
Major _big_easy_
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:02 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA
Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1)

Re: [Official] British Isles REVAMP [Quenched]

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:13 pm

honestly, when i first started playing the revamp i was like "AWESOME" but then there were the bugs and i didn't like it but now i really like it
sailorseal wrote:My big boy banana was out the whole time :D
AndyDufresne wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Many Happy Bananas to everyone, lets party...with Bananas.
--Andy
Forever linked at the hip's-banana! (That sounds strange, don't quote me.)
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER
 
Posts: 1088
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:09 pm
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: [Official] British Isles REVAMP [Quenched]

Postby the.killing.44 on Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:49 pm

LED ZEPPELINER wrote:honestly, when i first started playing the revamp i was like "AWESOME" but then there were the bugs and i didn't like it but now i really like it

You have to read the key…bottom left corner.

.44
User avatar
Major the.killing.44
 
Posts: 4737
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:43 pm
Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes
Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (4)

Re: [Official] British Isles REVAMP [Quenched]

Postby lgoasklucyl on Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:35 am

Not that it matters all that much- but I would just like to phone my two cents in and say that I love how the map looks now. British Isles was the first map I learned after Classic and it therefore remains in my top three maps of all time. Though I didn't have a problem with the other version, I love the new version in every way. Not until I saw this work of art did I realize how outdated and messy the original truly was.

Thanks for making one of my favorite maps even better :)
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class lgoasklucyl
 
Posts: 526
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:49 pm
Location: Somewhere in the 20th century.
Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (6)
Clan Achievement (7) Training Achievement (3) Map Contribution (1)

Re: [Official] British Isles REVAMP [Quenched]

Postby gimil on Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:24 pm

lgoasklucyl wrote:Not that it matters all that much- but I would just like to phone my two cents in and say that I love how the map looks now. British Isles was the first map I learned after Classic and it therefore remains in my top three maps of all time. Though I didn't have a problem with the other version, I love the new version in every way. Not until I saw this work of art did I realize how outdated and messy the original truly was.

Thanks for making one of my favorite maps even better :)


And comments like this make this all the worth while. Thanks lgoasklucyl!
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: [Official] British Isles REVAMP [Quenched]

Postby rtgs on Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:27 pm

The new British isles map is not good for me.

The colors are worse than the ORIGINAL British isles (too pale for my taste),
The names are changed and harder to remember,
The boundaries of the territories are more fragmented,...

Maybe everything is more correct and more technically better, but ...

... I URGE YOU TO RETURN THE ORIGINAL MAP
User avatar
Captain rtgs
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: best position 356 (score 2231 / 63% wins)
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: [Official] British Isles REVAMP [Quenched]

Postby saaimen on Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:40 am

rtgs wrote:The new British isles map is not good for me.

The colors are worse than the ORIGINAL British isles (too pale for my taste),
The names are changed and harder to remember,
The boundaries of the territories are more fragmented,...

Maybe everything is more correct and more technically better, but ...

... I URGE YOU TO RETURN THE ORIGINAL MAP

I hate it when people post things like this. They shouldn't. Maybe this topic can be closed?
The revamp is really, really good, gimil. Thank you, well done.
ImageImage
Winner of "As Easy As 1, 2, 3! - Africa I", "Championship Series: British Isles",
"1v1 Battle to Rule Doodle Earth 2", "Connect 4 (Restarted)" and "Blind Fold Buddy - BeNeLux"
Sergeant 1st Class saaimen
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:04 pm
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (5)

Re: [Official] British Isles REVAMP [Quenched]

Postby _big_easy_ on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:20 am

saaimen wrote:
rtgs wrote:The new British isles map is not good for me.

The colors are worse than the ORIGINAL British isles (too pale for my taste),
The names are changed and harder to remember,
The boundaries of the territories are more fragmented,...

Maybe everything is more correct and more technically better, but ...

... I URGE YOU TO RETURN THE ORIGINAL MAP

I hate it when people post things like this. They shouldn't. Maybe this topic can be closed?
The revamp is really, really good, gimil. Thank you, well done.


Yeah, how dare someone have an opinion that differs from yours. What arrogance!
Major _big_easy_
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:02 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA
Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1)

Re: [Official] British Isles REVAMP [Quenched]

Postby danfrank on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:24 am

_big_easy_ wrote:
saaimen wrote:
rtgs wrote:The new British isles map is not good for me.

The colors are worse than the ORIGINAL British isles (too pale for my taste),
The names are changed and harder to remember,
The boundaries of the territories are more fragmented,...

Maybe everything is more correct and more technically better, but ...

... I URGE YOU TO RETURN THE ORIGINAL MAP

I hate it when people post things like this. They shouldn't. Maybe this topic can be closed?
The revamp is really, really good, gimil. Thank you, well done.


Yeah, how dare someone have an opinion that differs from yours. What arrogance!




I have to agree.. They have ruined the british isle map and next there going to destroy the germany map..
Image
Sergeant danfrank
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:19 am
Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (1)

Re: [Official] British Isles REVAMP [Quenched]

Postby saaimen on Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:11 am

_big_easy_ wrote:Yeah, how dare someone have an opinion that differs from yours. What arrogance!

It's got nothing to do with arrogance. It's all about respect.
gimil has been on this revamp for over a year. The topic has been here for the whole time aswell. And the map wasn't quenched before all discussions were cleared up. If he hates this map so bad, first of all he should have come here to comment on the drafts. And now that it's quenched he's too late and pissed about it. That's not the way to go.
I don't mind people having a different opinion. But you could come here and say
Perfect CC'er wrote:gimil, I know you've been working hard on this map, and I respect your work. But in fact, I liked the old map better.
That's a whole other thing than
rtgs wrote:... I URGE YOU TO RETURN THE ORIGINAL MAP
ImageImage
Winner of "As Easy As 1, 2, 3! - Africa I", "Championship Series: British Isles",
"1v1 Battle to Rule Doodle Earth 2", "Connect 4 (Restarted)" and "Blind Fold Buddy - BeNeLux"
Sergeant 1st Class saaimen
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:04 pm
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (5)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Egomadsen, Garraty

Login