Conquer Club

Das Schloß [QUENCHED #2]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Das Schloß [BETA] V44 Adjustment?

Postby natty dread on Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:25 am

Here's my suggestion: only code the parachutes as starting positions, have the rest of the starting territories start as random drop.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby AAFitz on Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:22 am

natty_dread wrote:Here's my suggestion: only code the parachutes as starting positions, have the rest of the starting territories start as random drop.

well, thats a hell of a lot better thats for sure. even on two player one person can get one chutte and the other the rest, or similar in castle. If chutes were automatic, it would reduce the variability outside of them, and it wouldnt be too bad at all.

I will say its much more balanced, but to be honest, I have not dared use but one strategy yet, which seems to trump all others so far.

I dont understand the bonus on the right yet, so I havent had the balls to try it, though technically the math seems to suggest it should be equal
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:52 pm

natty_dread wrote:Here's my suggestion: only code the parachutes as starting positions, have the rest of the starting territories start as random drop.

Is this possible under the current starting positions tags?

One way to do it i guess would be to have 8 individual start positions for each of the paratroopers.
Then have 8 groups of 3 start positions for the rest.
In a two player game that would give each player 3 starts in each area (the remainder go to neutral i think), but they would always start in the same positions which is what i really wanted to avoid.
Any other suggestions?
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby MrBenn on Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:20 pm

The "position groups" are randomly - and evenly - distributed amongst all the players. If you mix up positions with different numbers of terrs, then in theoury 1 person could get the single terr groups, and the other could get all the multiple terr groups.

The best option would be to either find 8 groups of territories that are evenly distributed, or as natty suggested, split up the parachutes and leave the rest (ie the non-neutrals) to a totally random drop
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:07 pm

MrBenn wrote:The "position groups" are randomly - and evenly - distributed amongst all the players. If you mix up positions with different numbers of terrs, then in theoury 1 person could get the single terr groups, and the other could get all the multiple terr groups.

The best option would be to either find 8 groups of territories that are evenly distributed, or as natty suggested, split up the parachutes and leave the rest (ie the non-neutrals) to a totally random drop

So, below would be your solution to pslit up the parachutes and leave the rest to random drop. After the parachutes drop there are still 24 positions to be started on, which in a 2 player game would give each player possibility of dropping 8 terrs. With this there is real opportunity for a player to drop 5 terrs in either the castle or the airport to gain a start bonus. :?:

I think that to stop the possibility of the start bonus occuring, then i'd have to include the airport and castle in the start positions, since only including one would still leave open possibilty of dropping the bonus in the un-coded area in a 2 player game.

<!-- Start positions -->
<positions>
<position> <!-- Start player 1-->
<territory>Philby</territory>
</position>
<position> <!-- Start player 2-->
<territory>Jones</territory>
</position>
<position> <!-- Start player 3-->
<territory>Smith</territory>
</position>
<position> <!-- Start player 4-->
<territory>Neal</territory>
</position>
<position> <!-- Start player 5-->
<territory>Mills</territory>
</position>
<position> <!-- Start player 6-->
<territory>Timms</territory>
</position>
<position> <!-- Start player 7-->
<territory>Yves</territory>
</position>
<position> <!-- Start player 8-->
<territory>Casey</territory>
</position>
</positions>
<!-- End Start Positions -->
Private cairnswk

Postby MrBenn on Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:17 pm

cairnswk wrote:So, below would be your solution to pslit up the parachutes and leave the rest to random drop. After the parachutes drop there are still 24 positions to be started on, which in a 2 player game would give each player possibility of dropping 8 terrs. With this there is real opportunity for a player to drop 5 terrs in either the castle or the airport to gain a start bonus. :?:

The chance of any player dropping 5 specific terrs out of 24 in a 1v1 game is 0.26% (It's slightly more (.4%) in a 3p game). I haven't worked out the probability of dropping all 5 terrs in either area, but I'd imagine it'll be no worse than double that, which is still pretty unlikely.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:32 pm

MrBenn wrote:
cairnswk wrote:So, below would be your solution to pslit up the parachutes and leave the rest to random drop. After the parachutes drop there are still 24 positions to be started on, which in a 2 player game would give each player possibility of dropping 8 terrs. With this there is real opportunity for a player to drop 5 terrs in either the castle or the airport to gain a start bonus. :?:

The chance of any player dropping 5 specific terrs out of 24 in a 1v1 game is 0.26% (It's slightly more (.4%) in a 3p game). I haven't worked out the probability of dropping all 5 terrs in either area, but I'd imagine it'll be no worse than double that, which is still pretty unlikely.

OK, when i get home tonight, i'll post the updated xml to reflect your suggestion.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:26 am

Starting postiions will only be these below....the rest will be allocated as per the random drop.
<positions>
<position>
<territory>Philby</territory>
</position>
<position>
<territory>Jones</territory>
</position>
<position>
<territory>Smith</territory>
</position>
<position>
<territory>Neal</territory>
</position>
<position>
<territory>Mills</territory>
</position>
<position>
<territory>Timms</territory>
</position>
<position>
<territory>Yves</territory>
</position>
<position>
<territory>Casey</territory>
</position>
</positions>

This is the link for the adjusted xml for these starting positions.

http://h1.ripway.com/cairnswk/das_schloss_150610.xml
Private cairnswk

Postby DresdenSooner on Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:51 am

How long as the AA territ reverted back to 5 neutrals at the beginning of the next turn? I know the access point has always been like that, but I just lost a mountain of troops because the change was not obvious. Could we have a heads up somewhere when Beta maps are changed? Something on the news feed on the home page or a newsletter we could sign up for that let's us know not to move all our troops to a territ that used to be safe, but now it isn't. Just hoping to avoid losing another 55 troops.

DS
Highest Rank: Major May24,2010
Sergeant 1st Class DresdenSooner

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:12 pm

Sorry but see below.
Last edited by cairnswk on Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:13 pm

..... if you look at the "start a game" page, there's a bolded text that says:

Warning: Maps designated as "Beta" might have unbalanced gameplay and undergo changes mid-game. Play at your own risk!
Private cairnswk

Postby ender516 on Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:00 am

The best way to mitigate this problem is to follow the map thread here in the Foundry for any Beta map that you are playing. There is always a delay between the time a mapmaker posts updated files for changes and the time they go live.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby TheForgivenOne on Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:40 pm

Not entirely sure if this is coded this way, or if it has been noticed, and i'm extremely busy right now, so i can't look through the thread, but according to my Firefox, Hubschrauber B Can Assault Casey, and bombard the rest. Am i missing something? Or am i just really dumb? :oops: Because according to the legend, Hubschrauber B only bombards the Parachutes...
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:06 am

TheForgivenOne wrote:Not entirely sure if this is coded this way, or if it has been noticed, and i'm extremely busy right now, so i can't look through the thread, but according to my Firefox, Hubschrauber B Can Assault Casey, and bombard the rest. Am i missing something? Or am i just really dumb? :oops: Because according to the legend, Hubschrauber B only bombards the Parachutes...

Not you being dumb,. just me making mistakes :oops: :oops:
http://h1.ripway.com/cairnswk/das_schloss_170610.xml
This will be submitted and will fix that, and the starting positions for new games.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:13 pm

cairnswk wrote:
TheForgivenOne wrote:Not entirely sure if this is coded this way, or if it has been noticed, and i'm extremely busy right now, so i can't look through the thread, but according to my Firefox, Hubschrauber B Can Assault Casey, and bombard the rest. Am i missing something? Or am i just really dumb? :oops: Because according to the legend, Hubschrauber B only bombards the Parachutes...

Not you being dumb,. just me making mistakes :oops: :oops:
http://h1.ripway.com/cairnswk/das_schloss_170610.xml
This will be submitted and will fix that, and the starting positions for new games.

That has now been updated.
Private cairnswk

Postby GeneralJestix on Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:08 am

I was told that it is possible to attack Neil i think from Platz A without going through the hub. I have not been able to see if this is true but it needs to be looked at if it is not already known in this thread.
Lieutenant GeneralJestix

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:57 am

GeneralJestix wrote:I was told that it is possible to attack Neil i think from Platz A without going through the hub. I have not been able to see if this is true but it needs to be looked at if it is not already known in this thread.

That was fixed update before last.
Private cairnswk

Postby AAFitz on Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:37 am

is the only giving a few spots in the chuttes going to stay? Or as im hoping is this a bug?
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.

Postby natty dread on Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:50 am

AAFitz wrote:is the only giving a few spots in the chuttes going to stay? Or as im hoping is this a bug?

No it will be fixed by the new starting positions.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby AAFitz on Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:53 am

natty_dread wrote:
AAFitz wrote:is the only giving a few spots in the chuttes going to stay? Or as im hoping is this a bug?

No it will be fixed by the new starting positions.

good, right now, if you go first you win, probably 80% if i had to guess...probably higher. I hope it gets fixed quick...not that ill be playing it again till it does. granted, i win that much anyways, but at least its more than a coin toss when I do.

last two games were over on round one or two. biggest advantage for player one on a 2 player game on cc I think

I should mention of course that on freestyle it will be a mighty head to head, but no more interesting than aor1...and much less so, since there is absolutely no where else for the armies to be except in the access point.
Too much. I know.

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:26 pm

Fitz, these are now the only starting positions in the xml, which means in a 2 player game you might get three of these each and the other go to neutral. the rest of the terrs are dividied up amongst 3 players.
I hope this is what you are asking.
lackattack updated this on Wed.
Private cairnswk

Postby AAFitz on Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:02 pm

cairnswk wrote:

Fitz, these are now the only starting positions in the xml, which means in a 2 player game you might get three of these each and the other go to neutral. the rest of the terrs are dividied up amongst 3 players.
I hope this is what you are asking.
lackattack updated this on Wed.

So, you wont divide up the others spots on the map?

If this is true, the map is should just be deleted for 2 player game, as the first player advantage is utterly ridiculous. You almost cant win going second. It is the biggest advantage for going first on any CC map pretty much ever, because you pretty much automatically get an extra 8 armies on turn one, and the advantage of dropping first. The only possible way to win going second is a rather massive dice upset, or the other person simply suicides or something.

Will it stay like this forever?
Too much. I know.

Postby tokle on Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:46 am

It seems it is still possible to attack wache aus from fs4, contrary to the one-way arrow.
Major tokle

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:21 am

tokle wrote:It seems it is still possible to attack wache aus from fs4, contrary to the one-way arrow.

Yes, here is the fix.

http://h1.ripway.com/cairnswk/das_schloss_220610.xml
Private cairnswk

Postby Industrial Helix on Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:17 am

I hate to be a pain in the ass, but there's some pixelation on DS7 border.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas