Conquer Club

Prohibition Chicago [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Incandenza on Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:03 am

The Outfit West is brutal.... the white text on light pink background is not a good combo.

Much of what else I had to say was said already (mostly by the remarkably prescient oaktown).
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:20 am

Coleman wrote:The text is terrible cairnswk, my eyes threw a fit. I don't know what you effect you were going for but if it was blurry and illegible, you did it.

I'm fine with the text on the spaces (Although the l in Gus Alex is goofy and a few other letters like that) but the legend text is intolerable. And you couldn't even center those continent bonus numbers for us?

It's time to show this one some love. The other maps you have look better right now.

Yes...thank-you Coleman for that resounding thrashing...i wonder what sort of pills you are on today....ones with barbs in them???

I can very well see that the text is not the best and i haven't done anything about it yet because i have been quite busy with family and new year and christmas.

Could you show me some love too, rather than throwing it all gimil's way.... :lol:
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:28 am

oaktown wrote:Hmm... my big concern is that right now nothing about this map says Chicago. Chicago in the early 20th Century was the city of the first great skyscrapers, but by making everything out of little horizontal boxes you've made the city very small and flat. This is the home of Frank Lloyd Wright, Van Der Rohe, and Burham's White City. Where is the grandeur of the gold coast, the Wrigley Building, and the magnificent mile?

Specific visual concerns: The Little Italy font is kinda clumsy; there should be something else that is easier to read and cleaner looking. The legend text is bad - very pixelated - and there is too much mixing of font styles... is this Art Deco Chicago, or Art Nouveau Paris? The planes look like they're made of balsa wood. And why is the river not the same color as the lake?

Yes....you too oaktown must have taken some nasty pills over xmas....i am very well aware that this can get a razzle from everyone but does it deserve after all it is only V4

But i am not trying to re-create Chicago in 3D living skyscaper colour. This is a version of classic risk style with some simple play, that everyone is asking for, so i have no intentions of making it into some fancy piece of artwork, although the art-deco style will be more my thing when i get it worked out.

I think you guys are simply barking up this tree the wrong way when i haven't had the time to make any real decent attemtps at it. so give it a break and have some patience....If the ideas when they come are liked it will get there. :twisted: but when i am ready to work on it. Right now i have some other things happneing in my life that i have to catch up on after spending so much time in the foundry in the last 9 months.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:30 am

Incandenza wrote:The Outfit West is brutal.... the white text on light pink background is not a good combo.

Much of what else I had to say was said already (mostly by the remarkably prescient oaktown).

Gees, three of you on pills...what is happening....thanks Incadenza for that input... i will tkae it into account when i git around to doing this map again.
Private cairnswk

Postby gimil on Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:16 am

cairnswk wrote:Could you show me some love too, rather than throwing it all gimil's way.... :lol:

I took a minute to realised what you ment :lol:

I was going to post a big piece of feedback for you, but ill hold off till the current concerns are met (mainly colemans thrashing :lol:) I dnt want to bring up any issues that you may be planning to work on :)
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby onbekende on Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:55 am

need bonus calc?
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:21 am

gimil wrote:
cairnswk wrote:Could you show me some love too, rather than throwing it all gimil's way.... :lol:

I took a minute to realised what you ment :lol:

I was going to post a big piece of feedback for you, but ill hold off till the current concerns are met (mainly colemans thrashing :lol:) I dnt want to bring up any issues that you may be planning to work on :)

yeh, thanks Gimil...i'm not in a very good receptive mood after getting this thrashing from three people who usualy are quite objective and patient.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:22 am

onbekende wrote:need bonus calc?

kind of you to offer.,..if that's what u are offering onbekende. :wink: at least there is someone out there who hasn't taken nasty pills today.
Private cairnswk

Postby oaktown on Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:36 am

sorry carinswk - I went on a posted binge last night (commented on ten maps in 30 minutes - woo hoo!) and I probably wasn't as tactful as i could have been. Anyway, please consider my suggestions as friendly amendments to what I think is a fun idea for a map.

As you carry on the work on this map, I hope that you will keep in mind my comments about the map looking somewhat horizontal for a city which has long prided itself in being very vertical. I think that if you continue with an eye on the architectural and engineering history of Chicago, this map will be successful in the same way that the rail maps are visually.
Captain oaktown

Postby Coleman on Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:38 am

The reason I'm being cruel is because I know you can take it and you are an excellent map maker. It's just right now this is well below what I typically expect to see this far in, which is frustrating because this is my favorite map of yours that you have going right now. (Not counting what is in Final Forge) I am just hoping for a visual update soon, and hoping you know where the big problems are, which it seems you do.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby onbekende on Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:33 pm

lets hope I saw this right

Northside Gang: 7 terr, 6 def/att, 4 cont => Bonus of 6 (6 seems fine, noting that "Speakeasy" isn't attackable from another country)
Chicago Mafia Leaders: 7 terr, 4 def/att, 3 cont => Bonus of 5 (a more then fine bonus knowing only 4 terr need defence to keep this cnt)
Prohibition Gang: 8 terr, 8 def/att, 5 cont => Bonus of 8 (I prefer 8 over 7)
Racketters: 3 terr, 3 def/att, 3 cont => Bonus of 3 (more then enough, only 3 terr)
Ch. Outfit East: 10 terr, 8 def/att, 5 cont => Bonus of 9 (give it a 9, 8 is thou on the table!)
Ch. Outfit West: 10 terr, 8 def/att, 5 cont => Bonus of 9 (give it a 9, 8 is thou on the table!)
Canadians: 3 terr, 3 def/att, 2 cont => Bonus of 3 (note the 2 def needed to keep this cont)
All Giggle uice Trucks: 12 terr, 12 def/att, 8 cont => Bonus of 12 (6 is half!!!, way to low, if you get this bonus, you control most of map anyway, 10!)
All Utilities: 8 terr, 7 def/att, 7 cont => Bonus of 8 (as said, perhaps 7 to as "City Hall" can't be attacked from other terr except the cont terr itself)

thats it for now :D
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:40 pm

oaktown wrote:As you carry on the work on this map, I hope that you will keep in mind my comments about the map looking somewhat horizontal for a city which has long prided itself in being very vertical.

oaktown, just how does one achieve the impression of height on a flat overview map apart from doing a isometric or 3D map, which i do not want to do to. I want to keep this simple. This map is not about Chiacgo's tall buildings or that pride, it is about bloody racketteering and gangsters who shot it out in the streets. So forgive if i am at a loss as to your most bizzare request.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:47 pm

Coleman wrote:The reason I'm being cruel is because I know you can take it and you are an excellent map maker. It's just right now this is well below what I typically expect to see this far in, which is frustrating because this is my favorite map of yours that you have going right now. (Not counting what is in Final Forge) I am just hoping for a visual update soon, and hoping you know where the big problems are, which it seems you do.

No, the reason you are being cruel is because you can. There is no need for it...whether or not i can take which sometimes i can't...requests can be put in a politer manner...and having now done some 6 or 7 maps one would think that I would know what issues a map has to be concerned with Coleman...after you viewed this map in new ideas and moved in here, you come back with these issues in a manner that i beleive was quite intolerable, and there is no need for it...so forgive me if you are not my biggest fan at present.

I think that U simply you had the shits with something and i copped the brunt of it, because you felt like being nasty. I am not impressed.
Private cairnswk

Postby Coleman on Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:04 pm

Sorry you feel the way but I too find this exchange intolerable because this isn't a quality I expected this long after being out of Map Ideas and it's hard to control the rage associated with that annoyance in this case because I know you can do better.

Don't worry to much about it, it's likely you won't have to deal with me again until you have xml.

... The text is still completely illegible for me and where I can read it oddly spaced in several areas.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:12 pm

Coleman wrote:Sorry you feel the way but I too find this exchange intolerable because this isn't a quality I expected this long after being out of Map Ideas and it's hard to control the rage associated with that annoyance in this case because I know you can do better.

Don't worry to much about it, it's likely you won't have to deal with me again until you have xml.

Yes well, i think you should lower your expectations, because mapmakers can only ahcieve what they can, not what you want them to on your timeline. this is my map, my timeline coleman, there are no time contraints in here so come down off your high horse.

As for you staying away, there is no need for that, just a little humility would help in your messages. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Coleman on Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:16 pm

There'll be need and reason for it soon enough...

I'll be gentler from now on, and push comments back when your timeline is bothering me. I just like acting like my old self every once in a while and not being the mod, I sometimes forget that perception of me means I should be more reasonable.

... Can't you at least do something about the legend text real fast? Make it a different font or make it less blurry somehow?
Sergeant Coleman

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:24 pm

Coleman wrote:There'll be need and reason for it soon enough...

I'll be gentler from now on, and push comments back when your timeline is bothering me.

... Can't you at least do something about the legend text real fast? Make it a different font or make it less blurry somehow?

I will try to do something on this map this weekend, and thank you. It is a much more pleasant experience when people are nice to each other without too much syrup or all the nasty bits, don't you think. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby onbekende on Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:27 pm

/me puts plate with 2 cookies between cairnswk and Coleman

each eat 1, shake hands and be nice!
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:32 pm

onbekende wrote:/me puts plate with 2 cookies between cairnswk and Coleman

each eat 1, shake hands and be nice!

Thankyou onbekende...are they choc cookies? :wink:
Private cairnswk

Postby onbekende on Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:56 pm

belgian finest chocolate cookies :D
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby Incandenza on Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:01 pm

cairnswk wrote:
Incandenza wrote:The Outfit West is brutal.... the white text on light pink background is not a good combo.

Gees, three of you on pills...what is happening....thanks Incadenza for that input... i will tkae it into account when i git around to doing this map again.

C'mon, you know I respect you. I apologize if that came off badly, or if I was piling on...

And now I want some cookies. :lol:
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:15 pm

onbekende wrote:belgian finest chocolate cookies :D

Mmmm, i had some fine Belgian Chocolate for Xmas...yummy
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:16 pm

Incandenza wrote:
C'mon, you know I respect you. I apologize if that came off badly, or if I was piling on...

And now I want some cookies. :lol:

Of course i know, but three lots of pills in a row...that a bit hard to swallow, 'specially when the first one choked me up...literally. :roll: :wink: Cookies...of course...i love to share.
Private cairnswk

Postby onbekende on Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:40 pm

/me puts a bog box on the plate

seems cairnswk will need it :D

also, my bonus calcs?
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:57 pm

onbekende wrote:/me puts a bog box on the plate

seems cairnswk will need it :D

also, my bonus calcs?

yes thanks onbekende....i know the bonus calcs are there...i am reworking the map....pls have patience :)
Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas