Conquer Club

Prohibition Chicago [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby edbeard on Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:15 pm

well for the northside gang, there are four leaders. if I hold any three of them I get a +2

there are six leaders in the prohibition gang so I hold any four of them to get a +3

You'd need to take those into account when you're calculating the bonus for holding the entire region though.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby cairnswk on Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:20 pm

edbeard wrote:well for the northside gang, there are four leaders. if I hold any three of them I get a +2

there are six leaders in the prohibition gang so I hold any four of them to get a +3

You'd need to take those into account when you're calculating the bonus for holding the entire region though.

OK...i understand.
I will consider this, although i alreadfy thought there were enough bonuses with the other situations re the giggle jiuce trucks etc.

and another thing i just thought of....if you only had 3 out of 4 as a bonus, would that amount to disployhalty in the gangs, therefore a bonus would be a whack on the head rather than encourage to gather more associates.

Just a though???!!!
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:24 am

Version 3.

Changes:
1. Lots of colour changes.
2. Some Streets get pavements (not finished yet)
3. Attack lines (dots) given docking bays.
4. Change of fonts on text
5. Bugsy Siegel added to Ch. Outfit East.

Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:05 am

Version 4....

Changes:
1. Finshed pavements
2. Finished connections between terts and docks
3. Added "suggested" bonuses - up for discussion.

Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:44 pm

Feedback??
Private cairnswk

Postby Coleman on Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:46 pm

Probably not here, lets discuss bonuses in Main Foundry.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby cairnswk on Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:03 pm

Coleman wrote:Probably not here, lets discuss bonuses in Main Foundry.

Thanks Coleman :)

Private cairnswk

Postby Incandenza on Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:48 am

It's a little weird that abstract concepts/events like lie detector and St. Valentine's Day Massacre are lumped in with what appear to be continent bonuses...

Otherwise, this map tremendously interests me. Not to put to fine a point on it, but I think that open-ended maps like these are better than directed-play maps like gazala... but that's just my 0.02$.

cairns, you are an impressive human being. On the off chance I ever find myself in northeast australia, I'll buy ya a Foster's. :D
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby Coleman on Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:49 am

One thing I'd like to point out from playing American Civil War is that continents that are not contiguous (have all territories bordering without other stuff in-between) are incredibly awkward feeling.

I'm not saying they are bad, they just take more getting used to then you might expect.

Saying that, I am not sure how the gangster attacking all gangsters aspect of this map would change or diminish that awkwardness, but it's worth mentioning I think.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby cairnswk on Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:14 am

Incandenza wrote:It's a little weird that abstract concepts/events like lie detector and St. Valentine's Day Massacre are lumped in with what appear to be continent bonuses...

I put the Lie Detector in to beef up the continent.
SVDM was added because it was one of the most sensational of its time...Ref Wiki:
November 10, 1924 - North Side Gang leader Dion "Deanie" O'Banion is killed when three unidentified men enter his flower shop and shoot him several times. This begins a five year gang war between the North Side Gang, under Hymie Weiss, against Al Capone's Chicago Outfit that would end with the St. Valentine's Day Massacre in 1929.

"I chink sey both fit very well." *puffing his big fat Havana*

Otherwise, this map tremendously interests me. Not to put to fine a point on it, but I think that open-ended maps like these are better than directed-play maps like gazala... but that's just my 0.02$.

Gazala needs to have it's place in history, just like this one.
"I can honestly say fellas, I would get bored shitless if I had to make deez all d'same" * puff puff*

cairns, you are an impressive human being. On the off chance I ever find myself in northeast australia, I'll buy ya a Foster's. :D

"I'lls be holding ya to that one 'Chadenza', pleased tu do bizness wich ya"
Private cairnswk

Postby Incandenza on Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:21 am

Nyah, see, if you don't make this map better, you'll be sleepin with the fishes, see? :lol:
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby cairnswk on Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:21 am

Coleman wrote:One thing I'd like to point out from playing American Civil War is that continents that are not contiguous (have all territories bordering without other stuff in-between) are incredibly awkward feeling.

"U know Mr Coleman, dat seems to be my maps all over, deys all like dat!"

I'm not saying they are bad, they just take more getting used to then you might expect.

"I chuld hope not, I might jus have to get the Fellas to come after you"

Saying that, I am not sure how the gangster attacking all gangsters aspect of this map would change or diminish that awkwardness, but it's worth mentioning I think.

"Mmmm....I'd be careful how you go mentioning tings in deez parts, the Fellas might still get upset if dey knew u was dishing on dem. But then I'm not gonna stop you from having some Free Speech...afterall.....

This is America!"
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:24 am

Incandenza wrote:Nyah, see, if you don't make this map better, you'll be sleepin with the fishes, see? :lol:

That'll be a joke...some people's already got me sleeping with the fishes...with a chunk of cement weighing me down.... :lol:
Private cairnswk

Postby Herakilla on Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:23 am

ims shoot down those planes so you can get some boat and i dont give a rip if they were on the map you got it from!
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby casper on Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:01 pm

My hometown! Nice. Just a few suggestions. The parks look too aqua. Can you make them greener? :) And the Canadian planes. I see them on the 1931 map you are basing this on, but the planes could never land on the lakeshore like you have them. There was no airport on the lakeshore until Meigs Field opened in 1948 (and later demolished by Mayor Daley in 2003).

Here are some more resources....

http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/su/maps/c ... 26-T5.html
http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory. ... /1768.html
Major casper

Postby cairnswk on Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:23 pm

casper wrote:My hometown! Nice. Just a few suggestions. The parks look too aqua. Can you make them greener? :) And the Canadian planes. I see them on the 1931 map you are basing this on, but the planes could never land on the lakeshore like you have them. There was no airport on the lakeshore until Meigs Field opened in 1948 (and later demolished by Mayor Daley in 2003).

Here are some more resources....

http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/su/maps/c ... 26-T5.html
http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory. ... /1768.html

Thanks Casper....appreciate those links, i had already seen them. :)

I think those Canadian planes might have been planes that dropped the cargo with floats in the Lake, and the cargo was later fished out. so i will add some boats there to make the more logical.

I would be interested to hear more from you re the placement of some of these terts...as you can appreciate i don't know the area myself and am only working from maps, so i hope this is at least roughly in place with appropriate terts. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby casper on Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:25 pm

Also the 1931 map is not really geographically accurate at all. Little Italy and Little Sicily are not even close. Little Italy should be where "Mossie" Enright is. And Little Sicily where Deanie O'Bannion is.

Check it out on this map from http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/su/maps/c ... 26-T5.html

Little Italy is the circled area to the south and is actually still around.

But maybe geographic correctness doesn't even matter...so I dunno. Just pointing it out. If you need any help or advice just let me know.

Look forward to playing this. :)
Major casper

Postby Tieryn on Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:17 am

Question:

Is Mickey Cohen coloured wrong or Grouped wrong in the bonuses?
Sergeant 1st Class Tieryn

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:17 am

Tieryn wrote:Question:

Is Mickey Cohen coloured wrong or Grouped wrong in the bonuses?

thanks for dropping in Tieryn.....no just included in the wrong section of bonuses that i changed the other day....thatnks for theat pickup, which i will attention in the next build.
Private cairnswk

Postby Fireside Poet on Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:40 am

Dillinger? The Biograph? :)

Avalon Hill came out with a game long ago called Gangsters... here is some info if you want a few more ideas about look and feel:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1471
Click this logo for more information on joining!
Major Fireside Poet

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:34 am

Fireside Poet wrote:Dillinger? The Biograph? :)

Avalon Hill came out with a game long ago called Gangsters... here is some info if you want a few more ideas about look and feel:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1471

Thanks Fireside Poet...i had a quick look at this board, it is very monopoly-like almost and seems a good game, however i am reluctant to "pinch" ideas from other game boards because of copyright.
I am sure there is something I can come up with that will makes this a somewhat different game. :)

Private cairnswk

Postby Blitzaholic on Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:40 pm

yes, for sure
General Blitzaholic

Postby Herakilla on Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:14 pm

im setting up a flak gun and shooting those planes down

and you need the purple gang! they stole shipments from other gangs!
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby Coleman on Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:14 pm

The text is terrible cairnswk, my eyes threw a fit. I don't know what you effect you were going for but if it was blurry and illegible, you did it.

I'm fine with the text on the spaces (Although the l in Gus Alex is goofy and a few other letters like that) but the legend text is intolerable. And you couldn't even center those continent bonus numbers for us?

It's time to show this one some love. The other maps you have look better right now.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby oaktown on Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:46 am

Hmm... my big concern is that right now nothing about this map says Chicago. Chicago in the early 20th Century was the city of the first great skyscrapers, but by making everything out of little horizontal boxes you've made the city very small and flat. This is the home of Frank Lloyd Wright, Van Der Rohe, and Burham's White City. Where is the grandeur of the gold coast, the Wrigley Building, and the magnificent mile?

Specific visual concerns: The Little Italy font is kinda clumsy; there should be something else that is easier to read and cleaner looking. The legend text is bad - very pixelated - and there is too much mixing of font styles... is this Art Deco Chicago, or Art Nouveau Paris? The planes look like they're made of balsa wood. And why is the river not the same color as the lake?
Captain oaktown

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas