Prohibition Chicago [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby mibi on Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:53 pm

What about Bugsy Siegal?
Captain mibi

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Postby cairnswk on Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:04 pm

mibi wrote:What about Bugsy Siegal?

1. This era?
2. What outfit?
Private cairnswk

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby cairnswk on Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:05 pm

Version 2.

Changes:

1. Colour changes as requested
2. Beginnings of new connectors...note indentations in city blocks for the connections.
3. Altering of Capone Terts.

Private cairnswk

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby cairnswk on Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:11 pm

cairnswk wrote:

1. This era?
2. What outfit?

Wiki says he was only an associate....and made more of name for himself in California and Las Vegas, later in 1947?
Private cairnswk

Postby mibi on Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:17 pm

cairnswk wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

1. This era?
2. What outfit?

Wiki says he was only an associate....and made more of name for himself in California and Las Vegas, later in 1947?

Mickey Cohen was Bugsy's leutentant and back by the Chicago Outfit. Cohen took over after Bugsy was... wacked.
Captain mibi

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Postby cairnswk on Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:50 pm

mibi wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

1. This era?
2. What outfit?

Mickey Cohen was Bugsy's leutentant and back by the Chicago Outfit. Cohen took over after Bugsy was... wacked.

I am reluctant to put him in, because he had more of a Brooklyn connection. However, if you insist, who do we take out to replace him with.
I really don't think he had as big a role in Chicago as the other.
Can you point to your references to convince me, mibi.
Private cairnswk

Postby edbeard on Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:55 pm

Maybe instead of just the Chicago connection, you make it into the east chicago and west chicago connections.

Right now it is 20 territories. Who the hell is going to hold all of that?

10 and 10 makes sense to me.

10 happens to be the number of grey territories west and east of that road
Major edbeard

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Postby cairnswk on Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:58 pm

edbeard wrote:Maybe instead of just the Chicago connection, you make it into the east chicago and west chicago connections.

Right now it is 20 territories. Who the hell is going to hold all of that?

10 and 10 makes sense to me.

10 happens to be the number of grey territories west and east of that road

Yeah....that works for me edbeard....good suggestion!...providing there is no other objections to it.
Private cairnswk

Postby edbeard on Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:07 pm

oh. another thing I was thinking about....

what if you held the majority of Leaders for a certain gang and you get a bonus.

Maybe for the chicago mafia it would be quite small +1 since it's only two territories, but that could be something.

you'd need 3 for the purple, 4 for the pinkish etc...
Major edbeard

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Postby cairnswk on Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:10 pm

edbeard wrote:oh. another thing I was thinking about....

what if you held the majority of Leaders for a certain gang and you get a bonus.

Maybe for the chicago mafia it would be quite small +1 since it's only two territories, but that could be something.

you'd need 3 for the purple, 4 for the pinkish etc...

are you talking about say 2 out of 4 best of + 2 situation?
Private cairnswk

Postby edbeard on Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:15 pm

well for the northside gang, there are four leaders. if I hold any three of them I get a +2

there are six leaders in the prohibition gang so I hold any four of them to get a +3

You'd need to take those into account when you're calculating the bonus for holding the entire region though.
Major edbeard

Postby cairnswk on Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:20 pm

edbeard wrote:well for the northside gang, there are four leaders. if I hold any three of them I get a +2

there are six leaders in the prohibition gang so I hold any four of them to get a +3

You'd need to take those into account when you're calculating the bonus for holding the entire region though.

OK...i understand.
I will consider this, although i alreadfy thought there were enough bonuses with the other situations re the giggle jiuce trucks etc.

and another thing i just thought of....if you only had 3 out of 4 as a bonus, would that amount to disployhalty in the gangs, therefore a bonus would be a whack on the head rather than encourage to gather more associates.

Just a though???!!!
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:24 am

Version 3.

Changes:
1. Lots of colour changes.
2. Some Streets get pavements (not finished yet)
3. Attack lines (dots) given docking bays.
4. Change of fonts on text
5. Bugsy Siegel added to Ch. Outfit East.

Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:05 am

Version 4....

Changes:
1. Finshed pavements
2. Finished connections between terts and docks
3. Added "suggested" bonuses - up for discussion.

Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:44 pm

Feedback??
Private cairnswk

Postby Coleman on Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:46 pm

Probably not here, lets discuss bonuses in Main Foundry.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (6) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby cairnswk on Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:03 pm

Coleman wrote:Probably not here, lets discuss bonuses in Main Foundry.

Thanks Coleman :)

Private cairnswk

Postby Incandenza on Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:48 am

It's a little weird that abstract concepts/events like lie detector and St. Valentine's Day Massacre are lumped in with what appear to be continent bonuses...

Otherwise, this map tremendously interests me. Not to put to fine a point on it, but I think that open-ended maps like these are better than directed-play maps like gazala... but that's just my 0.02$.

cairns, you are an impressive human being. On the off chance I ever find myself in northeast australia, I'll buy ya a Foster's. :D
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (8)
General Contribution (4)

Postby Coleman on Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:49 am

One thing I'd like to point out from playing American Civil War is that continents that are not contiguous (have all territories bordering without other stuff in-between) are incredibly awkward feeling.

I'm not saying they are bad, they just take more getting used to then you might expect.

Saying that, I am not sure how the gangster attacking all gangsters aspect of this map would change or diminish that awkwardness, but it's worth mentioning I think.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (6) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby cairnswk on Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:14 am

Incandenza wrote:It's a little weird that abstract concepts/events like lie detector and St. Valentine's Day Massacre are lumped in with what appear to be continent bonuses...

I put the Lie Detector in to beef up the continent.
SVDM was added because it was one of the most sensational of its time...Ref Wiki:
November 10, 1924 - North Side Gang leader Dion "Deanie" O'Banion is killed when three unidentified men enter his flower shop and shoot him several times. This begins a five year gang war between the North Side Gang, under Hymie Weiss, against Al Capone's Chicago Outfit that would end with the St. Valentine's Day Massacre in 1929.

"I chink sey both fit very well." *puffing his big fat Havana*

Otherwise, this map tremendously interests me. Not to put to fine a point on it, but I think that open-ended maps like these are better than directed-play maps like gazala... but that's just my 0.02$.

Gazala needs to have it's place in history, just like this one.
"I can honestly say fellas, I would get bored shitless if I had to make deez all d'same" * puff puff*

cairns, you are an impressive human being. On the off chance I ever find myself in northeast australia, I'll buy ya a Foster's. :D

"I'lls be holding ya to that one 'Chadenza', pleased tu do bizness wich ya"
Private cairnswk

Postby Incandenza on Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:21 am

Nyah, see, if you don't make this map better, you'll be sleepin with the fishes, see? :lol:
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (8)
General Contribution (4)

Postby cairnswk on Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:21 am

Coleman wrote:One thing I'd like to point out from playing American Civil War is that continents that are not contiguous (have all territories bordering without other stuff in-between) are incredibly awkward feeling.

"U know Mr Coleman, dat seems to be my maps all over, deys all like dat!"

I'm not saying they are bad, they just take more getting used to then you might expect.

"I chuld hope not, I might jus have to get the Fellas to come after you"

Saying that, I am not sure how the gangster attacking all gangsters aspect of this map would change or diminish that awkwardness, but it's worth mentioning I think.

"Mmmm....I'd be careful how you go mentioning tings in deez parts, the Fellas might still get upset if dey knew u was dishing on dem. But then I'm not gonna stop you from having some Free Speech...afterall.....

This is America!"
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:24 am

Incandenza wrote:Nyah, see, if you don't make this map better, you'll be sleepin with the fishes, see? :lol:

That'll be a joke...some people's already got me sleeping with the fishes...with a chunk of cement weighing me down.... :lol:
Private cairnswk

Postby Herakilla on Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:23 am

ims shoot down those planes so you can get some boat and i dont give a rip if they were on the map you got it from!
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby casper on Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:01 pm

My hometown! Nice. Just a few suggestions. The parks look too aqua. Can you make them greener? :) And the Canadian planes. I see them on the 1931 map you are basing this on, but the planes could never land on the lakeshore like you have them. There was no airport on the lakeshore until Meigs Field opened in 1948 (and later demolished by Mayor Daley in 2003).

Here are some more resources....

http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/su/maps/c ... 26-T5.html
http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory. ... /1768.html
Colonel casper

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1)
Tournament Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (7) Map Contribution (1)

Next

Return to The Atlas