Conquer Club

Europa [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby demon7896 on Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:26 pm

if this isn't a revamp, then what'll happen to the other europe map?
MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON MY ENEMIES...
CAUSE I SURE AS HELL WON'T!
Private demon7896

Postby Coleman on Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:27 pm

demon7896 wrote:if this isn't a revamp, then what'll happen to the other europe map?
It will still be there as a bad Europe map, because people like it for some reason.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Night Strike on Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:55 am

Coleman wrote:
demon7896 wrote:if this isn't a revamp, then what'll happen to the other europe map?
It will still be there as a bad Europe map, because people like it for some reason.

I don't see this as a bad thing. What I see is the old Europe map as a site classic for up to 6 players with this one being the more "modern" version for up to 8 players. Keep up the good work.

(And I'm one who likes the current Europe.)
Major Night Strike

Postby oaktown on Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:10 am

before you go too much further you may want to show us what the small map is going to look like. You've got a lot of very small territories which could be a problem.

And can you please post map sizes on the first post? Otherwise I'll have to have yet another chat with Coleman about requiring this of maps when they leave Map Ideas. :)
Captain oaktown

Postby MrBenn on Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:36 am

Oooh... I've been moved (it took me a while to work out where my thread had gone!).

What info do I need to add to the first post? Territory counts etc, and map pixel sizes?? I wasn't expecting to be moved just yet, but will add more detail shortly...

Thanks for the comments RJBeals, Edbeard and Oaktown. I will take your points on board. Before I work out a 'to do' list, I would like to post an update with a new legend idea I had this morning: Hopefully it looks vaguely 'atlassy'

Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Skittles! on Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:39 am

Your legend, with the sides, it looks a bit 'sharp', or whatever the pros call it. Just a bit jaggy.
KraphtOne wrote:when you sign up a new account one of the check boxes should be "do you want to foe colton24 (it is highly recommended) "
Private Skittles!

Postby MrBenn on Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:44 am

I think that's because there's a 1 pixel black border round the map inset... I could make it bigger, or lose it... something for my 'to do' list when I get round to making one!
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Skittles! on Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:46 am

Shouldn't that little black dead land between Poland and Lithuania be brown because it's part of Russia.. Or I thought it was.
KraphtOne wrote:when you sign up a new account one of the check boxes should be "do you want to foe colton24 (it is highly recommended) "
Private Skittles!

Postby MrBenn on Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:01 am

Yes, that small bit is Russian - it has the town of Kaliningrad in it.
I was going to make it brown (same as Russia), but thought this would confuse too many people, and opted to grey it out like Africa/Asia. I'm not opposed to making it brown though - what do people think?

While talking about 'stranded' bits of countires, Azerbaijan includes the bit of land to the South of Armenia... I've been waiting for somebody to notice it!
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Skittles! on Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:09 am

Heh, didn't really even look much in that area, but I would of known it was Azerbaijan anyway.

I think it should be Russia because it'll have the same colour is European Russia so eh, it doesn't really bother me.
Private Skittles!

Postby gimil on Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:53 am

Someone mentioned about the concern of 3 digits overlapping terr names etc.

I took the liberty of looking over the map to fine which ones would cause those problems:

Latvia
Estonia (possible)
Slovakia
SI
Armenia (Possible)
Moldova
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby RjBeals on Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:17 am

MrBenn wrote:... to post an update with a new legend idea I had this morning: Hopefully it looks vaguely 'atlassy'

Yes this legend does look better than the last one.

And speaking of 3-digits, that kind of bothers me, as it kind of limits the maps features. I bet a lot of the maps in play right now would have 3-digits overlapping territory names. I don't think it should make/break a map - just maybe bring it up as a concern, but still let the map pass if it's not able to be fixed.
Private RjBeals

Postby gimil on Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:35 am

RjBeals wrote:
MrBenn wrote:... to post an update with a new legend idea I had this morning: Hopefully it looks vaguely 'atlassy'

Yes this legend does look better than the last one.

And speaking of 3-digits, that kind of bothers me, as it kind of limits the maps features. I bet a lot of the maps in play right now would have 3-digits overlapping territory names. I don't think it should make/break a map - just maybe bring it up as a concern, but still let the map pass if it's not able to be fixed.

its become a cause for of a concern due to the introduction of the color blind setting which adds that extra digit. So i feel it is a concern that should be addressed in all maps.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby RjBeals on Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:44 am

All the more reason to allow bigger maps.
Private RjBeals

Postby gimil on Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:47 am

RjBeals wrote:All the more reason to allow bigger maps.

If you had been keeping up with discussion youll have known that the size guideline is going to be revised. There looking into changing the user interface before making any realy desision.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby yeti_c on Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:27 pm

I'm loving this map...

The only thing I think might be a concern is the Faroe Islands...

Perhaps make it slightly bigger so you can tell it's purple and not pink...

Actually after more thought - the other thing is that it's hard to see what borders some of the smaller territories...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby MrBenn on Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:01 pm

Thanks, as always, for the feedback... I've got a small update to give:
-I've made the Faroe Islands a smidgen bigger so that the purple shows up better.
-The borders around Monaco have been tidied/cleaned to make that a bit clearer
-I have redone a few borders in the Balkans (Bosnia/Montenegro/Albania) to help clarify what connects to what
-Some names/circles have been moved to help avoid 3-digit-overlapping
-The opacity on the army circles has been reduced, and I've added a dark tinge to help them show up on pale areas

I have also done a brief small map
-I've taken off the army circles for now, as I can't be bothered to do them tonight (and I'm contemplating seeing what the map looks like without them)
-I've added a note in the corner...
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Coleman on Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:04 pm

The new army circles are ace. Like them a whole bunch. Good work.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby gimil on Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:06 pm

The baltics and central europe continent colors concern he as being a little to similar

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby MrBenn on Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:11 pm

One's yellow, the other's green. I muted the yellow before changing the army circles - should I change it back to how it was on p4, or do you think it was still a problem there?
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Coleman on Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:13 pm

I think with the new army circles it should be fine bright like it was. Although it's hard to say without seeing it.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby gimil on Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:16 pm

MrBenn wrote:One's yellow, the other's green. I muted the yellow before changing the army circles - should I change it back to how it was on p4, or do you think it was still a problem there?

there generally to similar in color.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby lanyards on Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:33 pm

Some of the continents have darkened edges and some don't. I think these continents should have their edges darkened to keep the consistency:
Central Europe
Baltics
Western Europe
Mediterranean Islands
Asian Borders

If you can, try to make the Andorra territory more visable, and think about where the army count would go for that. Same for Monaco.

The Slovakia territory naming is kinda hard to read. I suggest making a slight glow on all the territory names.

The continent color for Central Europe is a little bit too bright.

In Asian Borders, there are four territories, but only three names.

Try centering the Ukraine naming.

In the Mediterranean continent, the following have no borders with each other:
Italy
SM
VC

Basically, alot of the territory names are hard to tell which territory they belong to. I like the map and looks pretty fun. :) Mabye you could think up a new title for the map, to not cause confusion with Thegrimsleeper's Europe map. Good work. :D

--lanyards
WANT AN ADVANTAGE WHILE WORKING TOWARDS MEDALS?
https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=529&t=226714
Major lanyards

Postby jako on Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:18 pm

this map looks absolutely great and much better than the current europe map. but the small is a bit of a problem right now.

the names on the large in the more tight areas are hard to tell which names go to which countries.
Lieutenant jako

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:48 pm

I would rename the Asian Borders to Caucasus. Makes more sense to me.

Another thing I don't like is the continent grouping. Why aren't Crete and Cyprus part of the Mediterranean Islands? Cause that is just what they are.
Perhaps the continent grouping should be changed a bit. Also note that Crete is part of Greece and the Balearic Islands are part of Spain, Corsica is part of France and Sicily and Sardinia are part of Italy so I don't think it makes sense breaking them up in the continent grouping since they are essentially the same country.

On a personal note I must thank you for including Malta. Since it's such a small country most people omit it from these kind of maps and I am just glad you decided to put it in there. ;)
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas