Conquer Club

Europa [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Europa (New Europe) [I, Gp] >>p1/45 New Update<<

Postby oaktown on Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:26 am

Poll results:

Which title do you prefer? (see p1/44 for options)
A: 7, 23%
B: 8, 26%
C: 5, 16%
D: 1, 3%
E: 6, 20%
F: 1, 3%
G: 2, 6%
Captain oaktown

Postby MrBenn on Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:37 am

edbeard wrote:so transcontinental is a really +5 total and does not include an override right?

ZeakCytho wrote:If you hold kgd and Russia you get +1. If you hold those two plus Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Turkey, you get another +3, for a total of +4, right?

edbeard is right on this...

The whole of Transcontinental is worth +5, but 1 of that is the motherland bonus...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:02 am

Ben will you be using that Latin quote in the title since option B was selected?
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby The Viking on Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:52 am

How about a similar bonus for Denmark + Faroe Islands + Greenland?
Corporal 1st Class The Viking

Postby yeti_c on Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:56 am

The Viking wrote:How about a similar bonus for Denmark + Faroe Islands + Greenland?

I suspect that we may be overegging the pudding if we add too many random bonuses in?!

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby max is gr8 on Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:59 am

I believe the Pharaoh islands and Greenland are vassals of Denmark, I believe that is what he is referring to
ā€¹max is gr8ā€ŗ so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
ā€¹New_rulesā€ŗ Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby The Viking on Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:59 am

Yeah you're probably right.
Corporal 1st Class The Viking

Postby max is gr8 on Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:03 am

How am I probably right it's your idea. I'm either right or wrong
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby yeti_c on Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:05 am

max is gr8 wrote:How am I probably right it's your idea. I'm either right or wrong

I assume he was replying to me!!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby max is gr8 on Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:07 am

lol, maybe. But I think yeti is right anyway. Motherland works because it adds an extra border and you have to go through a few territories to get to it.
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby MrBenn on Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:23 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:Ben will you be using that Latin quote in the title since option B was selected?

I'm going to work on something for the title... I thought the voting was too close to warrant just plumping with B - especially as there were several favourable commnets about the latin phrase. Expect something to pop up during the week.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby MrBenn on Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:28 pm

The Viking wrote:How about a similar bonus for Denmark + Faroe Islands + Greenland?

I totally understand the motive for suggesting this, but am going to pass on it.

The 'Motherland' bonus is there to accomodate the Russian exclave of Kaliningrad, and to make it a vaguely attractive target at the beginning of the game. Scandinavia doesn't need this, as it is a contiguos (sp?) region.
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby edbeard on Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:14 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:Ben will you be using that Latin quote in the title since option B was selected?

I hope he doesn't blindly use B on a vote where it had 8 votes and other options had 7, 6, and 5 votes.
Last edited by edbeard on Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby yeti_c on Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:28 pm

MrBenn wrote:contiguos (sp?)

Contiguous.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby yeti_c on Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:28 pm

edbeard wrote:

I hope he doesn't blindly use B on a vote where it had 8 votes and other options had 7, 6, and votes.

Completely agree on this point.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby MarVal on Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:09 pm

Question:
yeti_c wrote:
edbeard wrote:

I hope he doesn't blindly use B on a vote where it had 8 votes and other options had 7, 6, and votes.

Completely agree on this point.

C.

Answer:
MrBenn wrote:I'm going to work on something for the title... I thought the voting was too close to warrant just plumping with B - especially as there were several favourable commnets about the latin phrase. Expect something to pop up during the week.

;)

Grtz
MarVal
Image highest score: 2157 (Major) / Verd ori'shya beskar'gam
ImageImage
Corporal MarVal

europe map

Postby $t0kA on Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:10 am

i think it is very well done i would love to play it and it is just so realistic as it has about every country in there.the colours are well done and it is very clear...dont listen to these guys...
Major $t0kA

Re: Europa (New Europe) [I] >UPDATE & TITLE POLL p1/44<

Postby MrBenn on Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:03 pm

MrBenn wrote:Update!

• I've removed the +1 from the minimap (for the motherland bonus) which helps avoid confusion. I experimneted with putting an asterisk/other symbol there, but this didn't help clarity.
  • I've also made the 'motherland' text less fuzzy.
  • The territory labels for San Marino (sm) and Vatican City (vc) have been shifted so that they don't look like smo/vco
  • The title is temporarily absent - I've asked that the poll be removed, and I'll have a look at trying something based upon the outcome of that!

I'm still working on the title...
....anything else anybody wants to pick up??
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Ogrecrusher on Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:40 pm

I think the rivers should look like rivers not fjords, if you see what I mean.
Right now they just look like long narrow inlets.
Colonel Ogrecrusher

Postby iancanton on Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:21 am

does the sea look a bit darker near scandinavia and lighter in the south? can u make it lighter near scandinavia to contrast with the blue of the latter?

the army shadows are suitably subtle. even on the small version, they do not take over the map. are blue armies clearly distinguishable from scandinavian blue?

can u use internationally-recognised abbreviations for country names instead of made-up ones? below are links to both 2-letter and 3-letter iso codes. the 2-letter codes are in wider everyday use because of the internet, although the united nations uses the 3-letter codes.

http://www.iso.org/iso/country_codes/is ... ements.htm
http://www.un.org/Depts/Cartographic/en ... eoname.pdf

the one that most needs to change is liechtenstein, since lt is the official 2-letter iso code for lithuania, which is also on the map (lt is, for example, used as the lithuanian internet top-level domain code, while li is liechtenstein's equivalent).

http://www.liechtenstein.li/en/fl-staat-gemeinden-vaduz

five other abbreviations on our map are used by different territories as their official iso codes and these are given below.

bh: bahrain
mo: macao
sl: sierra leone
vc: saint vincent & the grenadines
mac: macao

connect the peloponnese peninsula to mainland greece by drawing in the isthmus of corinth on the eastern side, to the right of the army count. at the moment, the peloponnese looks too much like a med island.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/maps/europe/greece/

qwert wrote:I think that Malta,Crete and ciprus must be a part of mediteranean,and Grecce part of Balkan.

if we renamed the balkan states continent as north balkans, then do u think everyone would be satisfied?

transcontinental has 6 territories, of which 3 are border territories. i think +5 (+4 and +1 motherland) is too high: classic africa also has 6 territories, of which 3 are border territories, and is only +3, without the benefit of a sub-bonus as a stepping-stone.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby JNutZ on Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:38 am

erm...just for your information Slovenia isn't balkan state it belongs to Central Europe...that's what they thaught us in school ;-)
Cadet JNutZ

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:16 pm

JNutZ wrote:erm...just for your information Slovenia isn't balkan state it belongs to Central Europe...that's what they thaught us in school ;-)

Bloody hell...the brainwashing begins at an early age in Slovenia apparently! :lol:
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby MrBenn on Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:50 pm

Thanks for reminding me about that Ian - I know you've mentioned it before :oops:

I've got a couple of new titles, but can't get online at home to upload them :evil: Hopefully t'internet will be up again soon :?
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby MrBenn on Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:11 am

Otto von Bismark wrote:If there is ever another war in Europe, it will come out of some damned silly thing in the Balkans.

iancanton wrote:
qwert wrote:I think that Malta,Crete and ciprus must be a part of mediteranean,and Grecce part of Balkan.
if we renamed the balkan states continent as north balkans, then do u think everyone would be satisfied?

Ruben Cassar wrote:
JNutZ wrote:erm...just for your information Slovenia isn't balkan state it belongs to Central Europe...that's what they thaught us in school ;-)

Bloody hell...the brainwashing begins at an early age in Slovenia apparently! :lol:
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby ZeakCytho on Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:29 am

MrBenn wrote:
Otto von Bismark wrote:If there is ever another war in Europe, it will come out of some damned silly thing in the Balkans.

iancanton wrote:

Ruben Cassar wrote:

Though Bismark was proved correct with the onset of WWI, the quote is quite applicable :)

I'm all in favor of keeping the continents as they are now and not screwing with it any more. Because there's no way to get it 100% accurate or please everybody. So can we stop talking about the continent layout (that's probably been the focus of 60% of this thread so far) and move on to something like graphics? :roll:

That being said, I have no new suggestions... :?
Captain ZeakCytho

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas