Conquer Club

Europa [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Europa [Quenched]

Postby oaktown on Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:03 pm

i think the dots on the sea paths still need to stand out more - perhaps a light glow around them? The paths around Scotland/Ireland are still quite dim.
Captain oaktown

Postby saaimen on Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:10 pm

saaimen wrote:maybe add a slight white glow around every dot?

oaktown wrote:perhaps a light glow around them?

Hey!!!
You stole my idea ;)
ImageImage
Winner of "As Easy As 1, 2, 3! - Africa I", "Championship Series: British Isles",
"1v1 Battle to Rule Doodle Earth 2", "Connect 4 (Restarted)" and "Blind Fold Buddy - BeNeLux"
Sergeant 1st Class saaimen

Postby jyor0385 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:54 pm

MrBenn wrote:Crete and Cyprus do border. I expect this is down to user error...

Look, I was only trying to help. The map's in beta so that suggests that there may be bugs to work out. If I find that it wasn't user error I'll take a screen shot in my next turn. Otherwise your assumption that I'm a chump is correct. ;)
Private jyor0385

Postby MrBenn on Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:03 am

OK, here's another minor update - I have removed the superfluous label for Italy, and added a slight glow to the ocean routes. For some reason, the Northern Ireland-Scotland route is more blurry on the Large map, so I have have made the ocean in the background a fraction lighter there to see if that helps....

Click image to enlarge.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby samuelc812 on Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:05 am

Thats better =D>
Captain samuelc812

Postby jyor0385 on Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:31 pm

jyor0385 wrote:

Look, I was only trying to help. The map's in beta so that suggests that there may be bugs to work out. If I find that it wasn't user error I'll take a screen shot in my next turn. Otherwise your assumption that I'm a chump is correct. ;)

You were right - I am a chump. Though I could almost swear that in my first turn I was in attack mode and the engine wouldn't allow it, in this last turn it in fact did. Loser error I guess.
Private jyor0385

Postby saaimen on Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:58 pm

jyor0385 wrote:
jyor0385 wrote:

You were right - I am a chump. Though I could almost swear that in my first turn I was in attack mode and the engine wouldn't allow it, in this last turn it in fact did. Loser error I guess.

=D> Hats off to the honest chump! ;)
ImageImage
Winner of "As Easy As 1, 2, 3! - Africa I", "Championship Series: British Isles",
"1v1 Battle to Rule Doodle Earth 2", "Connect 4 (Restarted)" and "Blind Fold Buddy - BeNeLux"

Postby saaimen on Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:17 pm

One more thing I noticed when peering over the map in a doubles game:
"med islands" is never written in full, nor is any sea named. Shouldn't the term "Mediterranean" be used somewhere, for our non-European friends?
ImageImage

Postby jyor0385 on Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:59 pm

saaimen wrote: =D> Hats off to the honest chump! ;)

Keepin it real, yo
#-o
Private jyor0385

URGENT - Affecting gameplay - not getting Transcontinental b

Postby Mustapha Mond on Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:51 pm

See Game 3521810, rounds 9, 10 & 11.

I controlled:
- Armenia
- Azerbaijan
- Georgia
- Russia
- Turkey

and didn't get my bonus.

Needless to say, that kind of kills my strategy, plus the fact that I'm owed 12 armies.
Private 1st Class Mustapha Mond

Postby MrBenn on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:32 am

saaimen wrote:The transcontinental bonus is brown in the legend. And KGD is... brown! I don't get why people don't get that #-o

Hopefully the updated image (above) will make that clearer...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby StarofTroy on Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:46 am

This is my new favorite map! Well, it's tied with World 2.1. I love it! I've always gotten my transcontinental bonus. I think people aren't seeing that satellite country. This map is a lot of fun to play on fog too, especially because of that, and the med islands. Great job.
Cook StarofTroy

Postby StarofTroy on Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:48 am

lol i think that's how I was winning actually. Now with that new updated map everyone else will see what I'm doing!
Cook StarofTroy

Postby Shatners Bassoon on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:00 pm

don't know if this has been highlighted yet,but you don't seem to be receiving your bonus armies for holding Transcontinental.

see DAZMFC's position in Game 3510697
31-29
Major Shatners Bassoon

Postby Shatners Bassoon on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:02 pm

Shatners Bassoon wrote:don't know if this has been highlighted yet,but you don't seem to be receiving your bonus armies for holding Transcontinental.

see DAZMFC's position in Game 3510697

lol,just read the above post.....see that you have to hold KGD #-o
31-29
Major Shatners Bassoon

Postby sublimeoneus on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:04 pm

So transcontinental/motherland is +4 and +1?
Cadet sublimeoneus

Postby saaimen on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:30 pm

No... Motherland bonus is +1 for Russia and KGD. But when you have Transcontinental, both countries (and the 1 bonus) are included in the continent. So +1 for Russia and KGD, or +4 for all of the Transcontinental (brown) regions.

EDIT: I was wrong here. Ignore the above.
Last edited by saaimen on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Postby MrBenn on Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:06 am

sublimeoneus wrote:So transcontinental/motherland is +4 and +1?

Actually, sublimeoneus is right here - the whole of transcontinental will give +5
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby MrBenn on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:49 am

PM sent to lackattack with the update images:
MrBenn wrote:Image
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby e_i_pi on Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:14 am

I just played my first game on this map, got brilliant dice and won... thanks for including the dice hack Benn, great work ;)

One area I misinterpreted was Sicily->Sardinia->Balearics. I thought there was a route from Sicily straight to Balearics. I know now that it isn't, but that's the only misinterpretation I found on the map, everything else was straight forward and easy to understand.

Oh, Croatia to Montenegro is a funny one, but I'm aware of the borders in that stretch of the woods, and it's easy to see on the big map anyhow.
Captain e_i_pi

Postby saaimen on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:51 am

MrBenn wrote:
sublimeoneus wrote:So transcontinental/motherland is +4 and +1?

Actually, sublimeoneus is right here - the whole of transcontinental will give +5

I'm sorry about that, I got it wrong. In fact I didn't know myself, even though I've had that bonus in our doubles game. I hadn't checked the log very well, I thought I got 4 for it anyway. My bad.
BUT even though I know it's my mistake, maybe the line of text about the Transcontinental bonus could be clearer. Now it says 'includes KGD', and that's why I assumed it also included the specific Russia-KGD bonus... Also, the "motherland; +1" is standing there completely apart of other continents. Others might also think the brown continent overrules this small bonus.
Or am I way off, and should I just shut up :D?
e_i_pi wrote:One area I misinterpreted was Sicily->Sardinia->Balearics. I thought there was a route from Sicily straight to Balearics. I know now that it isn't, but that's the only misinterpretation I found on the map, everything else was straight forward and easy to understand.

I did see that Sicily-Balearics is impossible, but somehow I thought Sardinia bordered Monaco :s... When I look again, I can't blame it on the map, but somehow it seemed logical at first.
How about letting all the seapaths arrive at completely different spots? Faroe&Norway->Iceland could be more separated (Faroe seapath to the southern tip of Iceland?), as could Sicily&Balearics->Sardinia (more sideways), Sardinia&Monaco->Corsica (Sardinia->Corsica around the East of Corsica?), and Crete&Turkey->Cyprus (Crete->Cyprus around southern tip of Cyprus?)...
These are mere suggestions to make those a bit clearer, of course. If there's not a lot of problems in beta play, maybe it's not worth the effort :)
ImageImage

Postby yeti_c on Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:27 am

Of all the sea route - I really think the only one that is misleading is the sicily -> Balearics...

All the other ones it's quite obvious that the track goes in and out - but with that one - it looks like it might flow past.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Thezzaruz on Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:36 am

MrBenn wrote:-Text explaining the Kaliningrad (KGD) is part of the transcontinental region has been added to the bottom corner
-An additional label for Italy has been added

IMO both of these are unneccesary and look poor. Good work on the sea routes though.
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

Postby e_i_pi on Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:50 am

yeti_c wrote:Of all the sea route - I really think the only one that is misleading is the sicily -> Balearics...

All the other ones it's quite obvious that the track goes in and out - but with that one - it looks like it might flow past.

C.

Yeah this is exactly what got me yeti. There are maps with 3-way borders, like um... Nubia, I think it is with the Well of Rameses. I guess there's others too not that I can think of them off the top of my head.

I think just shifting where one of the sea routes ends will make it clear
Captain e_i_pi

Postby MrBenn on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:04 am

I've updated the Balearics-Sardinia route - a refresh will load the updated images ^^
Lieutenant MrBenn

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas