Conquer Club

Europa [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby iancanton on Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:33 pm

an excellent start. i have to admit that i don't like the current europe map much.

the grouping of countries is mostly logical, though i have one major change in mind: abolish the mediterranean continent by putting italy into western europe, greece into the balkans and crete and cyprus into the mediterranean islands.

the addition of greece to the balkans will possibly make it marginally easier to hold.

kaliningrad obviously goes with turkey/russia and i assume it's grey by accident. it ought to be either a territory of its own or a part of russia.

it can be argued that moldova belongs in the green continent because it's in the cis with ukraine and belarus.

why isn't asian borders called caucasus?

norweigan sea ought to be norwegian sea.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby oaktown on Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:59 pm

Hey MrBenn, nice work so far. I recognize that your attention has been on grouping the bonus regions, and i haven't read the entire thread, but I just wanted to let you know that this map is on my radar. I'll be watching the progress of the smaller territories and border clarity particularly closely. Also the placement of territory titles - the northern half of Euro Russia could be read as Estonia by the geographically challenged! :wink:

What's the little secret territory in Armenia?

And I think Liechtenstein needs a "t".
Captain oaktown

Postby Ruben Cassar on Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:47 am

I think there are a bit too many states to properly divide Europe in regions, but personally I feel that this is the most accurate grouping although it might not be the best gameplay wise.

Latin Europe: Portugal, Spain, Andorra, Balearic Islands, France, Monaco, Corsica, Italy, San Marino, Vatican City, Sardinia, Sicily, Malta

Central Europe: Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, Austria, Slovenia

Balkan States: Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Albania, Serbia, Macedonia, Bulgaria, Greece, Crete, European Turkey

Eastern Europe: Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Moldavia, Ukraine, Belarus, Russia

Caucasus: Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan

Neutral Territory: Cyprus

All other grouping are fine.

Note: The Asian part of Turkey should be removed from the map just like Russia's Asian part was removed.

P.S. - Norwegian Sea is spelt incorrectly.

I still don't see how such a big map will be playable on the small version though.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:59 am

Thanks for the suggestion Ruben. I'm waiting to see if there are any more suggestions, and then I'll have a look through and see which bits I like, etc.

I haven't ignored your alternative name for the Asian Borders... I want to get the territory groupings right first, as that's harder to do.
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: New Europe [Not-a-REVAMP] ++++Territory Groupings Poll++

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:00 am

MrBenn wrote:
MrBenn wrote:Image

Just posting the current image to keep it on the last page.
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Lone.prophet on Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:17 am

about the continents germany/france england and the benelux is mostly named western europe. not central, central is schweiz austria tjechie
Captain Lone.prophet

Postby rebelman on Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:19 am

still looking excellent and i know the focus is on continents but please don't forget:

as everywhere to the east of Istanbul should really be in Asia.
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby yeti_c on Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:36 am

rebelman wrote:still looking excellent and i know the focus is on continents but please don't forget:

as everywhere to the east of Istanbul should really be in Asia.

Whilst land mass wise I agree - but the shape of Turkey is more accurate as the whole of turkey...

Unless you put like a pale divider and change the opacity on "asian turkey" - which might look OK - it would look naff.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Warsteiner on Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:04 am

I like this map a lot! :)
Warsteiner

Conqueror Achieved!

General Warsteiner

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:57 am

I've been thinking that Eastern Europe/Balkan States are quite difficult to hold, and have been contemplating putting in some impassable borders...

I've found this sketch of the river Danube, and am contemplating using that as an impassable:
edit: originally the link to this picture was to a website somewhere, which was replaced with something NSFW. Apologies if this caused any distress - this map is now hosted safely.

The impassable bits would be between Austria/Czech Rep; Austria/Slovakia; Serbia/Hungary; Serbi/Romania; Bulgaria/Romania. Hungary would become a 'bridge' over the river, and I'd have to move Romania & Moldova into Eastern Europe. Somebody suggested putting Greece into the Balkans (for playability reasons), and that seems to make a bit of sense.

The ocean route from Romaina-Georgia could go to Bulgaria-Georgia, and I could add an ocean route from Crete-Malta, and put Crete/Cyprus into the Meditteranean Islands.

I could put Italy (and San Marino + Vatican) into Central Europe, and posisbly splinter BeNeLux into a continent of its own.

I'm not able to update my image right now, but here is the latest one for reference: Image
Last edited by MrBenn on Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:32 pm

MrBenn wrote:I could put Italy (and San Marino + Vatican) into Central Europe, and posisbly splinter BeNeLux into a continent of its own.

Italy into Central Europe? :shock:

No Italy is the essence of Southern Europe...I think that the first country that comes into everyone's mind when you say Southern Europe is Italy.

Regarding borders...you can (should! :p) use natural borders like lakes and mountains. Northern Italy is surrounded by mountains for example which act as a natural barrier.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Qwert on Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:29 pm

Somebody suggested putting Greece into the Balkans (for playability reasons), and that seems to make a bit of sense.

:shock: i live in Balkan,and if you want to know what Country is a part of balkan
Croatia
Bosnia and Hercegovina
Serbia
FYR Macedonia
half of Slovenia
Romania
Bulgaria
Albania
European Turkey
and ofcourse Grecce
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:09 pm

Big Update Number 7

Changes:
-Removed Army Circles
-Moved Territory names, and added some sea names
-Added slight glow to names
-Added River Danube as impassable between Central/East/Balkans, and moved Romania/Moldova to Eastern Europe
-Merged Meditteranean Islands into the Med Continent
-Changed the colouring on European Turkey
-Adjusted the sea route from Georgia
-Changed the continent blending options.
-Added Kaliningrad(Russia) territory name and colour (brown)
-Redrew Azerbaijan border to include the exclave South of Armenia

To Do:
-Amend the Legend
-(includes changing continent names)
-Contemplate adding impassable mountains from Italy to Central Europe
-Decide on continent groupings
-Decide bonus structure
-
-
-and lots of other things that I can't think of at the moment, that I'm sure people will remind me about!
Last edited by MrBenn on Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:11 pm

I've copied my to do list to the 2nd post, and will try and keep that updated along with the 1st.
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby yeti_c on Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:31 pm

Reckon you should put the river Danube through Hungary but put a bridge across it - preferably where Buda and Pest is.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby edbeard on Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:37 pm

I think you should change European Turkey back to all brown.

It's part of that bonus region so why wouldn't it be the same colour?

The small bit of brown you left looks orange. Just leave it ALL brown so there's no confusion.

I'll wait for your legend changes to talk about gameplay.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:43 pm

iancanton wrote:why isn't asian borders called caucasus?

norweigan sea ought to be norwegian sea.

The renaming is on the to do list, and the typo has been fixed.

oaktown wrote:...Also the placement of territory titles - the northern half of Euro Russia could be read as Estonia by the geographically challenged! :wink:

What's the little secret territory in Armenia?

And I think Liechtenstein needs a "t".

Check, check, check! :wink:

Ruben Cassar wrote:I think there are a bit too many states to properly divide Europe in regions, but personally I feel that this is the most accurate grouping although it might not be the best gameplay wise.... {List}

Note: The Asian part of Turkey should be removed from the map just like Russia's Asian part was removed.

P.S. - Norwegian Sea is spelt incorrectly.

I still don't see how such a big map will be playable on the small version though.

I've moved Romania and Moldova into Eastern Europe, partly at your suggestion, and partly with the addition of the River Danube.

I know that the small map is potentially an issue, but I'm not overly worried by it at the moment...

rebelman wrote: i know the focus is on continents but please don't forget: {picture of a giant turkey}

What do you think of the change? It looks like Turkey no longer attacks Armenia, which is fine - I've moved the Georgia ocean route instead, but I'm still not convinced by this change.

Ruben Cassar wrote:Regarding borders...you can (should! :p) use natural borders like lakes and mountains. Northern Italy is surrounded by mountains for example which act as a natural barrier.

The idea of a mountain border between Italy/Switzerland/Austria is growing on me; but I tried to draw some mountains there and they looked awful - they looked messy and very UN-mountain-like. I'll keep trying things there though.

qwert wrote:

Somebody suggested putting Greece into the Balkans (for playability reasons), and that seems to make a bit of sense.

i live in Balkan,and if you want to know what Country is a part of balkan

I still think that the continent groupings need a bit of refinement... I'm happier with the ones I've got now gameplaywise, but still think they can be improved.

Thanks for the feedback people! :D
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:05 pm

yeti_c wrote:Reckon you should put the river Danube through Hungary but put a bridge across it - preferably where Buda and Pest is.

C.

I tried to have the river going through Hungary and it looked rubbish, but I didn't think about a bridge. I'll look at this again.
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby yeti_c on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:08 pm

MrBenn wrote:
yeti_c wrote:Reckon you should put the river Danube through Hungary but put a bridge across it - preferably where Buda and Pest is.

C.

I tried to have the river going through Hungary and it looked rubbish, but I didn't think about a bridge. I'll look at this again.

Cool. I just think it looks a bit funny chopped in two there!?

Also - I'd remake Turkey all brown... and put a sea link to Cyprus from Turkey - As it's half turkish at the moment - there's obviously a link!?

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:09 pm

edbeard wrote:I think you should change European Turkey back to all brown.

It's part of that bonus region so why wouldn't it be the same colour?

The small bit of brown you left looks orange. Just leave it ALL brown so there's no confusion.

I'll wait for your legend changes to talk about gameplay.

I'm still not happy with Turkey. I think I'll put it to a poll when the current one ends.

By legend changes, I'm assuming you mean all the tentative +3 +4 etc... I just picked out numbers at random :oops: originally, and will probably do the same again (initially).
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:11 pm

yeti_c wrote:
MrBenn wrote:

C.

Also - I'd remake Turkey all brown... and put a sea link to Cyprus from Turkey - As it's half turkish at the moment - there's obviously a link!?

C.

Ha ha... I just took out the Cyprus/Turkey route, as I thought the grey Turkey bit looked unplayable.
As I just said, I think I'll put the Turkey issue to a poll...
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby yeti_c on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:13 pm

MrBenn wrote:
yeti_c wrote:
MrBenn wrote:

C.

C.

Ha ha... I just took out the Cyprus/Turkey route, as I thought the grey Turkey bit looked unplayable.
As I just said, I think I'll put the Turkey issue to a poll...

Soz - missed it... but like I say - it make sense...

I was trying to think of more impassables...

I guess you could use rivers like the rhine?

The Alps are good... I'm sure there must be something equally blocking in Russia too!!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:14 pm

MrBenn wrote:Big Update Number 7Image

Just keeping the latest version on the last page...
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby edbeard on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:23 pm

It's your map so do it as you wish, but you don't need a poll for something like this.

That area is either supposed to connect to armenia or it's not.

If it is, the whole area needs to be the same colour. Nowhere else on the map is done in this way. People are also going to mistake that colour for orange.

If it's not suppose to connect, then just draw a border and let the grey area in between serve as an impassable.

It just doesn't make sense to have this ONE part of the map be entirely different than everywhere else.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:34 pm

Thanks for the feedback edbeard.

I'm not convinced by the way Turkey is right now either - but I'll leave it for the weekend to get some more feedback.

On a slightly different subject, the Pale Salmon continent is going to be renamed Caucasus (Armenia/Georgia/Azerbaijan). i need a name for Russia/Kaliningrad/Turkey... I'll probably leave that bit as Asian Borders, but what about Russkey :shock: ?
Lieutenant MrBenn

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas