Conquer Club

Europa [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby mibi on Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:23 pm

u dun need no armeh circles.
Captain mibi

Postby d.gishman on Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:32 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:I would rename the Asian Borders to Caucasus. Makes more sense to me.

Agreed.
Sergeant 1st Class d.gishman

Postby Unit_2 on Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:33 pm

I don't like that green around the Germany area, it hurts my eyes if i look at it for a bit, can you make it either darker or a differnt color.
Corporal Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby MrBenn on Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:53 am

Ruben Cassar wrote:I would rename the Asian Borders to Caucasus. Makes more sense to me.

Another thing I don't like is the continent grouping. Why aren't Crete and Cyprus part of the Mediterranean Islands? Cause that is just what they are.
Perhaps the continent grouping should be changed a bit. Also note that Crete is part of Greece and the Balearic Islands are part of Spain, Corsica is part of France and Sicily and Sardinia are part of Italy so I don't think it makes sense breaking them up in the continent grouping since they are essentially the same country.

On a personal note I must thank you for including Malta. Since it's such a small country most people omit it from these kind of maps and I am just glad you decided to put it in there. ;)

The Meditteranean Islands weren't on my original draft (except Malta/Cyprus which are countries in their own right), but were added in to help gameplay.

Initially I wanted to keep 100% geographical accuracy, but am being swayed by aesthetic/gameplay considerations...

With that in mind, my open question (to which any serious answers will be considered) is: How would you group the territories into continents?
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: New Europe [Not-a-REVAMP] ++++Territory Groupings Poll++

Postby MrBenn on Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:00 am

MrBenn wrote:Image
Last edited by MrBenn on Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby gimil on Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:15 am

jnd94 wrote:No offense to you, but I don't think it needs a revamp. First off (again, no offense) but i think that this one isn't as good as the first. There isn't Africa or Middle East, but yet there is Georgia and Armenia.....I like how the bonuses are divided up better, but the first map seems less squeezed, and better looking.

"New Europe [Not-a-REVAMP]"
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby madsanders on Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:26 am

Make a continent with Greece, Turkey, Crete and Cyprus, called The Aegean ( a bit of a stretch considering Cyprus, I know); add Italy to the med. Islands and call that The Med. (possibly losing VC and SM), add Russia to Caucasus.

That' show I would do it, i think.
Corporal 1st Class madsanders

Postby MrBenn on Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:45 am

madsanders wrote:Make a continent with Greece, Turkey, Crete and Cyprus, called The Aegean ( a bit of a stretch considering Cyprus, I know); add Italy to the med. Islands and call that The Med. (possibly losing VC and SM), add Russia to Caucasus.

That' show I would do it, i think.

Hmmmm.... I like that idea.... let's see what other people think....
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby rebelman on Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:56 am

Heimdall wrote:I think The Balkans countries are too small.

Those people should merge into one country and call it Yugoslavia or something.

:lol: :shock:
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby MrBenn on Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:33 am

rebelman wrote:

I said I'd consider serious suggestions...
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby rebelman on Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:34 am

this is an excellent map - im loving it so far but could you please add the following for completeness

as you have already included all other states, statelets and major islands please add Gibraltar

Also as the Ural Mountains mark the division between the European and Asian parts of the Russian Federation these would be a nice addition

Your Turkey is wrong as only a small part of what you coloured is in Europe the rest is in Asia.

Could you please name the Caspian Sea and also move the Norwegian Sea slightly so as not to confuse with Barents Sea which also should be included. Also the sea of Azov should be named along with the Baltic Sea and the White Sea.

It might also be a nice feature to add in the arctic circle
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby rebelman on Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:35 am

MrBenn wrote:
rebelman wrote:

I said I'd consider serious suggestions...

agreed that's why my next post has serious suggestions in it :wink:
Private rebelman

Postby Lone.prophet on Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:54 am

it kinda bothers me that the land doesnt connect to the borders very well, sometimes it overlaps someimes it looks like there is a gap. could you fix that?
Captain Lone.prophet

Postby yeti_c on Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:04 am

I'd make SM & VC squares rather than circles...

That way it might stand out a bit better?

Definitely add Gibraltar...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Blitzaholic on Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:15 pm

can you add another continent?

or consider it?
General Blitzaholic

Postby gimil on Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:20 pm

Blitzaholic wrote:can you add another continent?

or consider it?

y?

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:31 pm

MrBenn wrote:

Another thing I don't like is the continent grouping. Why aren't Crete and Cyprus part of the Mediterranean Islands? Cause that is just what they are.
Perhaps the continent grouping should be changed a bit. Also note that Crete is part of Greece and the Balearic Islands are part of Spain, Corsica is part of France and Sicily and Sardinia are part of Italy so I don't think it makes sense breaking them up in the continent grouping since they are essentially the same country.

On a personal note I must thank you for including Malta. Since it's such a small country most people omit it from these kind of maps and I am just glad you decided to put it in there. ;)

The Meditteranean Islands weren't on my original draft (except Malta/Cyprus which are countries in their own right), but were added in to help gameplay.

Initially I wanted to keep 100% geographical accuracy, but am being swayed by aesthetic/gameplay considerations...

With that in mind, my open question (to which any serious answers will be considered) is: How would you group the territories into continents?

I have some ideas on how they could be grouped. I will write about it tomorrow as right now I'm off to bed and can't concentrate.

I just want to say that considering the horrible geographical/naming mistakes that have been made in the other Europe map this one should strive to be as accurate as possible.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby yeti_c on Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:34 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:I just want to say that considering the horrible geographical/naming mistakes that have been made in the other Europe map this one should strive to be as accurate as possible.

Concur...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby MrBenn on Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:16 am

or consider it?

I'm open to suggestions... what do you think would work? How might you try and group territories into a new 'continent'?
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby MrBenn on Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:17 am

or consider it?

I'm open to suggestions... what do you think would work? How might you try and group territories into a new 'continent'?
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby gimil on Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:06 am

Quick note Benny boy to say that yor work is excellent and you handle your maps development well. keep up the good work and when i return on the 16th this will be one of the 1st maps ill look at :D

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby rebelman on Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:31 am

rebelman wrote:this is an excellent map - im loving it so far but could you please add the following for completeness

as you have already included all other states, statelets and major islands please add Gibraltar

Also as the Ural Mountains mark the division between the European and Asian parts of the Russian Federation these would be a nice addition

Your Turkey is wrong as only a small part of what you coloured is in Europe the rest is in Asia.

Could you please name the Caspian Sea and also move the Norwegian Sea slightly so as not to confuse with Barents Sea which also should be included. Also the sea of Azov should be named along with the Baltic Sea and the White Sea.

my joke comment got an immediate response yet no comments on this serious post from the map maker :(
Private rebelman

Postby MrBenn on Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:04 am

rebelman wrote:
rebelman wrote:this is an excellent map - im loving it so far but could you please add the following for completeness

my joke comment got an immediate response yet no comments on this serious post from the map maker :(

Apologies for the oversight... Here's my delayed response:

In my inital draft I only included territories that were countries, but added the Med Islands to help gameplay in the South. I see no reason not to include Gibraltar now, so will look at adding it.

The sea names were added to see what it would look like. I'm still not convinced that I like them, but will add the ones you've mentioned (where there is adequate space).

I know that I have included all of Turkey, and not just European Turkey. Initially I wanted to just have the Eurepean bit next to Greece, but decided to include all of Turkey to avoid confusion, and to help link the Asian Borders.

I don't think I want to include the arctic circle... I have played around with some of the Norweigan Islands in an unpublished draft, and there isn't enough room for them. Combined with the fact I've moved Iceland [gasp] to make more space in general, I think this would add to the 'congested'/'cramped' feel some people have mentioned. If there was more space, I think I'd do it, but there we go.
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby rebelman on Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:12 am

MrBenn wrote:
rebelman wrote:

Apologies for the oversight... Here's my delayed response:

In my inital draft I only included territories that were countries, but added the Med Islands to help gameplay in the South. I see no reason not to include Gibraltar now, so will look at adding it.

The sea names were added to see what it would look like. I'm still not convinced that I like them, but will add the ones you've mentioned (where there is adequate space).

I know that I have included all of Turkey, and not just European Turkey. Initially I wanted to just have the Eurepean bit next to Greece, but decided to include all of Turkey to avoid confusion, and to help link the Asian Borders.

I don't think I want to include the arctic circle... I have played around with some of the Norweigan Islands in an unpublished draft, and there isn't enough room for them. Combined with the fact I've moved Iceland [gasp] to make more space in general, I think this would add to the 'congested'/'cramped' feel some people have mentioned. If there was more space, I think I'd do it, but there we go.

thanks for your response above - everything else is spot on but as you have done so well making this map geographically accurate - i really think you need to reconsider your Turkey decision. It really does distort the accuracy of this map and I'm certain people would prefer an accurate European Turkey in keeping with the excellent geographic accuracy elsewhere on this map.
Private rebelman

Postby MrBenn on Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:19 am

rebelman wrote:thanks for your response above - everything else is spot on but as you have done so well making this map geographically accurate - i really think you need to reconsider your Turkey decision. It really does distort the accuracy of this map and I'm certain people would prefer an accurate European Turkey in keeping with the excellent geographic accuracy elsewhere on this map.

I will have another think about Turkey, but don't want to commit to anything yet. My most pressing concern at the moment is the grouping of territories into continents. I'm still hoping for more suggestions...
Lieutenant MrBenn

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas