Europa [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby gimil on Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:53 am

Someone mentioned about the concern of 3 digits overlapping terr names etc.

I took the liberty of looking over the map to fine which ones would cause those problems:

Latvia
Estonia (possible)
Slovakia
SI
Armenia (Possible)
Moldova
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby RjBeals on Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:17 am

MrBenn wrote:... to post an update with a new legend idea I had this morning: Hopefully it looks vaguely 'atlassy'

Yes this legend does look better than the last one.

And speaking of 3-digits, that kind of bothers me, as it kind of limits the maps features. I bet a lot of the maps in play right now would have 3-digits overlapping territory names. I don't think it should make/break a map - just maybe bring it up as a concern, but still let the map pass if it's not able to be fixed.
Private RjBeals

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
General Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Postby gimil on Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:35 am

RjBeals wrote:
MrBenn wrote:... to post an update with a new legend idea I had this morning: Hopefully it looks vaguely 'atlassy'

Yes this legend does look better than the last one.

And speaking of 3-digits, that kind of bothers me, as it kind of limits the maps features. I bet a lot of the maps in play right now would have 3-digits overlapping territory names. I don't think it should make/break a map - just maybe bring it up as a concern, but still let the map pass if it's not able to be fixed.

its become a cause for of a concern due to the introduction of the color blind setting which adds that extra digit. So i feel it is a concern that should be addressed in all maps.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby RjBeals on Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:44 am

All the more reason to allow bigger maps.
Private RjBeals

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
General Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Postby gimil on Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:47 am

RjBeals wrote:All the more reason to allow bigger maps.

If you had been keeping up with discussion youll have known that the size guideline is going to be revised. There looking into changing the user interface before making any realy desision.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby yeti_c on Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:27 pm

I'm loving this map...

The only thing I think might be a concern is the Faroe Islands...

Perhaps make it slightly bigger so you can tell it's purple and not pink...

Actually after more thought - the other thing is that it's hard to see what borders some of the smaller territories...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby MrBenn on Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:01 pm

Thanks, as always, for the feedback... I've got a small update to give:
-I've made the Faroe Islands a smidgen bigger so that the purple shows up better.
-The borders around Monaco have been tidied/cleaned to make that a bit clearer
-I have redone a few borders in the Balkans (Bosnia/Montenegro/Albania) to help clarify what connects to what
-Some names/circles have been moved to help avoid 3-digit-overlapping
-The opacity on the army circles has been reduced, and I've added a dark tinge to help them show up on pale areas

I have also done a brief small map
-I've taken off the army circles for now, as I can't be bothered to do them tonight (and I'm contemplating seeing what the map looks like without them)
-I've added a note in the corner...
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby Coleman on Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:04 pm

The new army circles are ace. Like them a whole bunch. Good work.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (6) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby gimil on Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:06 pm

The baltics and central europe continent colors concern he as being a little to similar

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby MrBenn on Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:11 pm

One's yellow, the other's green. I muted the yellow before changing the army circles - should I change it back to how it was on p4, or do you think it was still a problem there?
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby Coleman on Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:13 pm

I think with the new army circles it should be fine bright like it was. Although it's hard to say without seeing it.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (6) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby gimil on Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:16 pm

MrBenn wrote:One's yellow, the other's green. I muted the yellow before changing the army circles - should I change it back to how it was on p4, or do you think it was still a problem there?

there generally to similar in color.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby lanyards on Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:33 pm

Some of the continents have darkened edges and some don't. I think these continents should have their edges darkened to keep the consistency:
Central Europe
Baltics
Western Europe
Mediterranean Islands
Asian Borders

If you can, try to make the Andorra territory more visable, and think about where the army count would go for that. Same for Monaco.

The Slovakia territory naming is kinda hard to read. I suggest making a slight glow on all the territory names.

The continent color for Central Europe is a little bit too bright.

In Asian Borders, there are four territories, but only three names.

Try centering the Ukraine naming.

In the Mediterranean continent, the following have no borders with each other:
Italy
SM
VC

Basically, alot of the territory names are hard to tell which territory they belong to. I like the map and looks pretty fun. :) Mabye you could think up a new title for the map, to not cause confusion with Thegrimsleeper's Europe map. Good work. :D

--lanyards
Sergeant 1st Class lanyards

Medals: 103
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (16) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (2)

Postby jako on Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:18 pm

this map looks absolutely great and much better than the current europe map. but the small is a bit of a problem right now.

the names on the large in the more tight areas are hard to tell which names go to which countries.
Lieutenant jako

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:48 pm

I would rename the Asian Borders to Caucasus. Makes more sense to me.

Another thing I don't like is the continent grouping. Why aren't Crete and Cyprus part of the Mediterranean Islands? Cause that is just what they are.
Perhaps the continent grouping should be changed a bit. Also note that Crete is part of Greece and the Balearic Islands are part of Spain, Corsica is part of France and Sicily and Sardinia are part of Italy so I don't think it makes sense breaking them up in the continent grouping since they are essentially the same country.

On a personal note I must thank you for including Malta. Since it's such a small country most people omit it from these kind of maps and I am just glad you decided to put it in there. ;)
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Postby mibi on Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:23 pm

u dun need no armeh circles.
Captain mibi

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Postby d.gishman on Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:32 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:I would rename the Asian Borders to Caucasus. Makes more sense to me.

Agreed.
Sergeant 1st Class d.gishman

Medals: 3
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Postby Unit_2 on Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:33 pm

I don't like that green around the Germany area, it hurts my eyes if i look at it for a bit, can you make it either darker or a differnt color.
Private 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby MrBenn on Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:53 am

Ruben Cassar wrote:I would rename the Asian Borders to Caucasus. Makes more sense to me.

Another thing I don't like is the continent grouping. Why aren't Crete and Cyprus part of the Mediterranean Islands? Cause that is just what they are.
Perhaps the continent grouping should be changed a bit. Also note that Crete is part of Greece and the Balearic Islands are part of Spain, Corsica is part of France and Sicily and Sardinia are part of Italy so I don't think it makes sense breaking them up in the continent grouping since they are essentially the same country.

On a personal note I must thank you for including Malta. Since it's such a small country most people omit it from these kind of maps and I am just glad you decided to put it in there. ;)

The Meditteranean Islands weren't on my original draft (except Malta/Cyprus which are countries in their own right), but were added in to help gameplay.

Initially I wanted to keep 100% geographical accuracy, but am being swayed by aesthetic/gameplay considerations...

With that in mind, my open question (to which any serious answers will be considered) is: How would you group the territories into continents?
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Re: New Europe [Not-a-REVAMP] ++++Territory Groupings Poll++

Postby MrBenn on Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:00 am

MrBenn wrote:Image
Last edited by MrBenn on Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Postby gimil on Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:15 am

jnd94 wrote:No offense to you, but I don't think it needs a revamp. First off (again, no offense) but i think that this one isn't as good as the first. There isn't Africa or Middle East, but yet there is Georgia and Armenia.....I like how the bonuses are divided up better, but the first map seems less squeezed, and better looking.

"New Europe [Not-a-REVAMP]"

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby madsanders on Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:26 am

Make a continent with Greece, Turkey, Crete and Cyprus, called The Aegean ( a bit of a stretch considering Cyprus, I know); add Italy to the med. Islands and call that The Med. (possibly losing VC and SM), add Russia to Caucasus.

That' show I would do it, i think.
Sergeant 1st Class madsanders

Medals: 3
Standard Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby MrBenn on Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:45 am

madsanders wrote:Make a continent with Greece, Turkey, Crete and Cyprus, called The Aegean ( a bit of a stretch considering Cyprus, I know); add Italy to the med. Islands and call that The Med. (possibly losing VC and SM), add Russia to Caucasus.

That' show I would do it, i think.

Hmmmm.... I like that idea.... let's see what other people think....
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Postby rebelman on Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:56 am

Heimdall wrote:I think The Balkans countries are too small.

Those people should merge into one country and call it Yugoslavia or something.

:lol: :shock:
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby MrBenn on Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:33 am

rebelman wrote:
Heimdall wrote:I think The Balkans countries are too small.

Those people should merge into one country and call it Yugoslavia or something.

:lol: :shock:

I said I'd consider serious suggestions...
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas