Europa [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Europa [Quenched]

Postby InsomniaRed on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:11 pm

Hmm I really don't think dropping the Baltics bonus is such a big deal, but since you blocked the others it may be a good idea, if you think it's worth it. If you need another neutral, I'd add it to Estonia. And if you want to move one instead of add another, then move Switzerland to Estonia. Also, if you are going to move the kgd neutral, I'd say move it to Georgia, not Russia. I just don't think Russia would be a good place for a neutral, but I don't know too much about maps. That's just an observation.

Great map MrBenn ;)
      I will always love you Nick, Forever.
      I will always love you Nick, Forever.
Major InsomniaRed

Medals: 60
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (4)
Clan Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (8) General Contribution (7)

Postby edbeard on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:41 pm

I think you've got something like 150 more games than either Haiti or Charleston has and I don't really see people with valid complaints about this (or maybe I've just missed them). sounds like you might be fixing something that doesn't need it.
Major edbeard

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Possible bug??

Postby delahoc on Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:44 am

This is my first game using the Europa map. I (red) have 6 armies in San Marino, and blue has 1 in Vatican City. According to the map I should be able to attack him, but San Marino does not appear in the attack drop down list. Is this a bug? If it is because San Marino is not supposed to be able to attack Vatican City, then that should somehow be indicated more clearly in the map.
----------------------------
Craig Delahoy
---------------------------
Sergeant 1st Class delahoc

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)

Re: Possible bug??

Postby MrBenn on Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:03 am

delahoc wrote:This is my first game using the Europa map. I (red) have 6 armies in San Marino, and blue has 1 in Vatican City. According to the map I should be able to attack him, but San Marino does not appear in the attack drop down list. Is this a bug? If it is because San Marino is not supposed to be able to attack Vatican City, then that should somehow be indicated more clearly in the map.
MrBenn wrote:It's also worth pointing out that San Marino (SMR) and Vatican City (VAT) can only attack/be attacked by Italy.
Aussierager wrote:I need to ask if the above is correct about SMR and VAT only being able to be attacked from ITALY?
saaimen wrote:It's correct. The mapmaker himself wrote it. Don't doubt it.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Re: Possible bug??

Postby delahoc on Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:09 am

MrBenn wrote:
delahoc wrote:This is my first game using the Europa map. I (red) have 6 armies in San Marino, and blue has 1 in Vatican City. According to the map I should be able to attack him, but San Marino does not appear in the attack drop down list. Is this a bug? If it is because San Marino is not supposed to be able to attack Vatican City, then that should somehow be indicated more clearly in the map.
MrBenn wrote:It's also worth pointing out that San Marino (SMR) and Vatican City (VAT) can only attack/be attacked by Italy.
Aussierager wrote:I need to ask if the above is correct about SMR and VAT only being able to be attacked from ITALY?
saaimen wrote:It's correct. The mapmaker himself wrote it. Don't doubt it.

Thanks for that. It's not very clear from the map.
----------------------------
Craig Delahoy
---------------------------
Sergeant 1st Class delahoc

Standard Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)

New Europe map

Postby Mark TPM on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:29 am

Why can't I attack from San Marino to a neighboring territory? This really stinks!
Mark
Major Mark TPM

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Re: New Europe map

Postby MrBenn on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:47 am

San Marino (and Vatican City) are entirely surrounded by Italy, and you can attack Italy from either of them - and vice versa.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby saaimen on Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:08 am

Wow Benn... You've got a lotta patience.
I just don't understand why all these people come here asking the same stupid question. It IS clear from the map, if you simply look at it you see there are no 'neighbouring territories' because SMR and VAT are nested inside Italy. And the funny thing is, it's not even your crazy idea... It's like that in real life too.
So hang in there, replying to people who don't look out well enough... ](*,)
ImageImage
Winner of "As Easy As 1, 2, 3! - Africa I", "Championship Series: British Isles",
"1v1 Battle to Rule Doodle Earth 2", "Connect 4 (Restarted)" and "Blind Fold Buddy - BeNeLux"
Sergeant 1st Class saaimen

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (5)

Postby saaimen on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:32 pm

Hey! I just noticed one more thing :) (But maybe it's been discussed before... Just ignore me then :-# )
Shouldn't 'mkd' for Macedonia be 'mcd' ?
ImageImage
Winner of "As Easy As 1, 2, 3! - Africa I", "Championship Series: British Isles",
"1v1 Battle to Rule Doodle Earth 2", "Connect 4 (Restarted)" and "Blind Fold Buddy - BeNeLux"

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby MrBenn on Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:36 pm

The ISO country code for Macedonia is MKD ;-)
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Postby saaimen on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:22 pm

MrBenn wrote:The ISO country code for Macedonia is MKD ;-)

Nice. I didn't even know something like that existed :P

Edit: Whoever came up with that, I still think it's weird...
ImageImage

Postby jiminski on Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:00 am

This is a really excellent map MrB!

I have not discovered any weakness in gameplay (from my single game ;) ) but i can see that there is great flexibility for different and varied strategies!

nice work mate!
Major jiminski

Medals: 29
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (2)

Postby mpxy on Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:09 am

The map looks so nice, however there are some mistakes in the map... The eastern borders of Turkey, with Armenia and Georgia is wrong. The correct way that they look can be seen in http://geology.com/world/europe-map.gif It would be nice to fix that, to have a better and more realistic map.
Major mpxy

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby MrBenn on Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:17 am

mpxy wrote:The map looks so nice, however there are some mistakes in the map... The eastern borders of Turkey, with Armenia and Georgia is wrong. The correct way that they look can be seen in http://geology.com/world/europe-map.gif It would be nice to fix that, to have a better and more realistic map.

I think you're actually referring to the Turkish border with Azerbaijan...

The Azerbaijani exclave was in an early version, but was joined to the rest of Azerbain to avoid confusion with the 'secret territory' (viewtopic.php?f=64&t=38304&p=1148358&hilit=+azerbaijan#p1148358)
Turkey does border all three of the Causacus territories ;-)
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Postby Balsiefen on Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:12 am

So nice to see this map go through, sorry I didn't comment on it more ;)

However, it might be nice to have the sea routes a little more visible, several (such as faroe-scotland) are pretty hard to see.
Sergeant 1st Class Balsiefen

Location: The Ford of the Aldar in the East of the Kingdom of Lindissi
Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1)

Postby MrBenn on Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:22 am

Balsiefen wrote:So nice to see this map go through, sorry I didn't comment on it more ;)

However, it might be nice to have the sea routes a little more visible, several (such as faroe-scotland) are pretty hard to see.

OK, I'll have a look at adjusting the sea paths... you're not the first person to mention it ;-)
While I'm at it, does anybody have any suggestions for how to make Italy slightly clearer?
I'm tempted to add a line of text explaining that KGD is required for the transcontinental bonus too...

I'll see if I get any spare time to look at it this evening...
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Postby saaimen on Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:54 am

I think the Faroe Isles sea path will be clearer if you put it around the West of the islands. Make it start more from the northern tip of Scotland. That way it doesn't get too close to the Denmark - Faroe Isles sea path.
Also, an idea to make the paths clearer: maybe add a slight white glow around every dot? That brings them out of the ocean a bit ;) Just like the region names.
To me, Italy is pretty clear. As is the Transcontinental bonus... They're all brown, right? Concerning KGD, I'd make the ";" of the Motherland explanation into a ":".
ImageImage

Postby reelkmcn on Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:53 am

Game #3523893, I was not awarded my transcontinental bonus of +4. Someone may want to take a look at that.
Sergeant 1st Class reelkmcn

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby cena-rules on Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:25 pm

reelkmcn wrote:Game #3523893, I was not awarded my transcontinental bonus of +4. Someone may want to take a look at that.

I was going to post the same thing
19:41:22 ‹jakewilliams› I was a pedo
Lieutenant cena-rules

Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Postby cena-rules on Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:26 pm

aaaaaaaaaah you need to hold kgd as well
19:41:22 ‹jakewilliams› I was a pedo
Lieutenant cena-rules

Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Postby saaimen on Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:03 am

C'mon guys...
The transcontinental bonus is brown in the legend. And KGD is... brown! I don't get why people don't get that #-o
ImageImage

Postby MrBenn on Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:47 pm

OK, I've made a few adjustments, although I'm feeling a bit ambivalent about some of them... Any and all feedback on these potential adjustments is welcome ;-)

-The sea route between Scotland and Faroe Islands has been made more visible
    -Text explaining the Kaliningrad (KGD) is part of the transcontinental region has been added to the bottom corner
    -An additional label for Italy has been added
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Postby InkL0sed on Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:52 pm

I hate the extra label for Italy. It bothers me.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Postby Balsiefen on Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:56 pm

InkL0sed wrote:I hate the extra label for Italy. It bothers me.

I agree actually, all else looks fine (sea routes especially improved) but if people cant tell whats italy and what isn't they deserve what they get ;)
Sergeant 1st Class Balsiefen

Location: The Ford of the Aldar in the East of the Kingdom of Lindissi
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1)

Postby MrBenn on Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:08 pm

The extra label for Italy is the thing that bugs me too...
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas