Conquer Club

Iceland [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby RjBeals on Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:32 pm

Update (See first post for details so I don't have to retype)
Private RjBeals

Postby RjBeals on Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:05 am

I see the southern region still has some missing borders where the old glacier was... will be fixed.
Private RjBeals

Postby benny profane on Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:54 am

this map is simply stunning.
i can't wait to play it!
fieryo is right about the circular form...
i would vote against a north/south route.
Lieutenant benny profane

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:56 am

This map is looking gorgeous RJ. Great work as always.

My only concern right now is the Eastern region. The colours used for Vopnafjordur and Egilsstadir are a bit too similar for me. I struggle to see where a continent ends and another one begins in that area.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Blitzaholic on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:09 am

wow, great job, like the detail, this is your 1st draft?

very nice 8)
General Blitzaholic

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:35 am

This already looks like it's going to be a good map!

1. I think that the circular play is fine; making North/South or East/West attack routes will make it a bit too complicated.

2. The first thing I noticed was the three pink bits that didn't seem to have borders. I know you've spotted it, but it just leapt at me.

3. I really like the texture in the background, although there may be others who find it a little distracting... not too sure what to suggest - perhaps altering the blend options somehow?

4. The snowy area on Dalvik (green) has a solid outline, which it doesn't on the yellow or pink areas. Can this blending be made to look slightly smoother?

5. I think you said you're still playing with colours. At the moment I think the green/cream are too similar.

6. I think the territory borders are a fraction too light, and could be darkened ever so slightly.

7. On the first draft there was something that looked like it could be a territory on the coast between Skeidarar[...] and Hofn. I didn't see the sea route there at first (because my eyes don't work properly :wink: ), but you could consider putting that in as an additional territory. I'm not recommending this by any means, but it might help give a 'complete' appearance to things.

These are just my initial thoughts - but I really like the look of this, and am looking forward to seeing it develop. As others said, it looks like more than an idea already!
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby rebelman on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:40 am

looks class so far, have you considered allowing all ports to attack each other.

Also as a huge chunk of the population lives in Reykjavík so arguably this deserves a capital bonus.

Some icelanic style images would be cool also (maybe)
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby madsanders on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:47 am

Looks great but I really miss the glaciers. maybe re-add them, but without the outline, like the small glacier in Dalvik?
Corporal 1st Class madsanders

Postby rebelman on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:49 am

by images im thinking glaziers, geezers, waterfalls, puffins, whales etc.
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby Sir. Ricco on Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:42 am

Wow i love this Map! Awsome grapics. =D>
Captain Sir. Ricco

Postby RjBeals on Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:59 am

Problem... Somehow I have 37 Territories and I need to take 1 away to have 36. Any suggestions?
Private RjBeals

Postby Coleman on Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:07 pm

I think you should merge Kirkjubaejarklaustur and Vik.

Keep in mind I know little about the region, I'm just looking at gameplay.

Edit: I believe the only thing you are missing to escape Ideas is 'tentative' bonus values. These don't have to be the final bonus values, just something to give people an idea of what they would be and how they would look placed on your map.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby MrBenn on Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:24 pm

Nice update.

Coleman wrote:I think you should merge Kirkjubaejarklaustur and Vik.

Either that or merge Hornstrandir and Drangsnes.

Oooh... You've done something to the Bifrost/Budardalur border... that needs to be put right...

Still liking it :D
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby RjBeals on Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:25 pm

Sorry guys - my sister is getting married tomorrow, so it's been crazy. I'll post an official update later, as I just wanted to figure out about getting rid of a territory. I was playing with bolding the bonus regions to differentiate the areas, and I did mess with some territory borders. I'll post more probably sunday, or maybe not till monday.
Private RjBeals

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:14 pm

RjBeals wrote:
Problem... Somehow I have 37 Territories and I need to take 1 away to have 36. Any suggestions?

Give a +1 bonus to Rejkjavik and make it a neutral territory at the start perhaps?
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby oaktown on Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:34 pm

I'm trying to revive the Maps In Development thread in GD... if you'd like to be included please post a description of your map!

http://conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
Captain oaktown

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:24 pm

I am loving this map. It might be one of the best looking maps we have. It is fantastic.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby Tense on Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:48 am

L o v e l y textures!(!!)

But on the current map the galaciers aren't named! Fix it, even though it doesn't matter for the gameplay I still believe in Conquer Club as a way of studying geography!

kerlingarfjoll lacks a capital letter. (might have been spotted before, havnt read the topic).

Also, I think you're not including Surtsey: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... Island.PNG
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surtsey

Since of it's extra ordinary apperaence, maybe it can bring some intressting gameplay.
Major Tense

Postby RjBeals on Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:50 pm

rebelman wrote:looks class so far, have you considered allowing all ports to attack each other.

Not until you mentioned it, and that may be okay, but I think I prefer the water routes rather than all ports attack all ports.

rebelman wrote:Also as a huge chunk of the population lives in Reykjavík so arguably this deserves a capital bonus.

No. I want a straight-forward, no gimmicks map.

rebelman wrote:Some Icelandic style images would be cool also (maybe)

I sort of think the map is already very busy looking with the texture background. I'm afraid that adding images will make it too confusing.

madsanders wrote:Looks great but I really miss the glaciers. maybe re-add them, but without the outline, like the small glacier in Dalvik?

I still plan on adding the glaciers. The large one in the south (Vatnajokull), I added as a kind of blotchy mountainous region. I want to add the others as well, in time.

Coleman wrote:I think you should merge Kirkjubaejarklaustur and Vik.

Agree / Done. 36 Territories now. Also added the rough legend. Not much too it right now. The bonus regions may need some tweeking. I was wondering if there is a formula I could plug into excel to calc them?

MrBenn wrote:Oooh... You've done something to the Bifrost/Budardalur border... that needs to be put right...

Fixed. thanks.

Tense wrote:kerlingarfjoll lacks a capital letter.
Fixed. thanks.
Private RjBeals

Postby Coleman on Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:10 pm

Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:22 pm

^^^ I think the Foundry Brands should be added to the top of the 1st post.

The amendments look good.

What are the names in the sea? I thought they were 'sea names', but Peninsula sounds more land-massy, and now I'm not so sure...
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby oaktown on Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:02 pm

I know that the bonsues are tentative, but you should re-check your calculations... I think you got southern wrong, as there are four borders.

Also, in working out your bonuses, common sense trumps the calculators. Ask yourself this if there is one region you would definitely try to go for before the other one, and what would happen in the game once somebody got that region. In this case, I would go for Reykyavik, because it gets the same bonus as almost every other region but requires controlling as many as three fewer territories. I can tale that region two rounds before anybody else gets a bonus, which sets me up nicely.
Captain oaktown

Postby RjBeals on Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:45 pm

oaktown wrote:I know that the bonsues are tentative, but you should re-check your calculations... I think you got southern wrong, as there are four borders.

Ahh - yes you're right. But you are also correct in that common sense should dictate bonuses. I tried to figure a formula to calculate them, but I think just looking and thinking would be more accurate. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

I'm working on adding the glaciers (with names), and a little more interesting land features. It's kind of learning as I go though. I've deleted & reverted many times already.

The entire week of Jan-21 is booked at work, as we have some corporate folks coming down, so updates may come slowly, but they will come.

Thanks for the post oaktown.
Private RjBeals

Postby bryguy on Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:01 am

wow! 9 quenchs!
Corporal bryguy

Postby Blitzaholic on Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:42 am

graphics look good
General Blitzaholic

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas