CC City Mogul [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby DiM on Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:01 pm

yeti_c wrote:Indeed - and a blue print is a negative of the "white" print is it not?

With the white print being the one used in real terms - and the blue print being the archive from which to create multiple white prints?

Either way though - it's your choice...

C.

actually no. that process was introduced somewhere in middle of the last century.

but anyway you're right. it's my choice to do a blue print instead of a whiteprint because honestly whiteprints don't have feeling whereas blueprints do.
we should not be debating the use of a blue or white print but rather how to make the blueprint better.
as i said i have done several things to get that authenticity feeling. if anything else can be done without spoiling the image (*) i'm up for discussion and i will do it.

(*) i also wanted to include a tracing pen but it simply cluttered the image.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:18 pm

Perhaps i should qualify my "not being convinced" by saying that i find the total blue background simply garish....i was trying to be nice to you without offending. :wink:
Private cairnswk

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby DiM on Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:30 pm

cairnswk wrote:Perhaps i should qualify my "not being convinced" by saying that i find the total blue background simply garish....i was trying to be nice to you without offending. :wink:

would a white background with blue lines be better?
i doubt it as it would be too damn white and boring
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)

Postby Sir. Ricco on Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:26 pm

Doing a good job DiM. :D
Captain Sir. Ricco

Medals: 53
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (31)

Postby DiM on Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:31 pm

Sir. Ricco wrote:Doing a good job DiM. :D

thanks mate.
Major DiM

Postby InkL0sed on Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:48 pm

I think what really bothers me about this map is those little childish drawings of buildings and stuff. They don't fit in with the style of the rest of the map at all.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Postby DiM on Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:07 pm

InkL0sed wrote:I think what really bothers me about this map is those little childish drawings of buildings and stuff. They don't fit in with the style of the rest of the map at all.

so you say a more serious drawing would be better?

i can easily do that. in fact i found it more difficult creating those than it was to create something serious.

but they really do fit. or at least in my vision they do. imagine a few kids finding their dad's old blueprint of the city and drawing little houses and shops and then playing risk on that blueprint. they drew a few things and then they scotch taped some instructions on the blue print and started playing. at least that's what i had in mind.
Major DiM

Postby InkL0sed on Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:32 pm

I see what you mean, but it still just seems out of place. It works on Doodle Earth because that's the theme of the map, but this map isn't particularly about children. Also, if it really was a bunch of kids coming upon their dad's blueprint, would their drawings have a neon glow? Besides the fact that they don't look good, it all just seems kind of random.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Postby DiM on Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:33 pm

InkL0sed wrote:I see what you mean, but it still just seems out of place. It works on Doodle Earth because that's the theme of the map, but this map isn't particularly about children. Also, if it really was a bunch of kids coming upon their dad's blueprint, would their drawings have a neon glow? Besides the fact that they don't look good, it all just seems kind of random.

what seems random?
Major DiM

Postby InkL0sed on Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:36 pm

DiM wrote:
InkL0sed wrote:I see what you mean, but it still just seems out of place. It works on Doodle Earth because that's the theme of the map, but this map isn't particularly about children. Also, if it really was a bunch of kids coming upon their dad's blueprint, would their drawings have a neon glow? Besides the fact that they don't look good, it all just seems kind of random.

what seems random?

The drawings. There's nothing else to suggest on the map that it's a blueprint a bunch of kids decided to make into a risk board.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I feel.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby DiM on Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:41 pm

InkL0sed wrote:
DiM wrote:

what seems random?

The drawings. There's nothing else to suggest on the map that it's a blueprint a bunch of kids decided to make into a risk board.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I feel.

yea you're right. i know they're kids cause i'm thinking it but you're right. i'll see what i can do. i have a few ideas and i'll implement them when i get home.

maybe adding a few dice, perhaps some risk troops or something like that?

maybe a peanut butter covered fingerprint?
Major DiM

Postby InkL0sed on Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:43 pm

DiM wrote:maybe adding a few dice, perhaps some risk troops or something like that?

I like it :D
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby DiM on Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:46 pm

InkL0sed wrote:
DiM wrote:maybe adding a few dice, perhaps some risk troops or something like that?

I like it :D

will do after i get home and sleep.
if you have any suggestions to further enhance this feeling feel free to post them. however i'd like something subtle (like the fingerprint) cause i don't want to clutter the image.
Major DiM

Postby InkL0sed on Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:43 pm

Maybe if you made it so you could tell the whole thing is just a sheet of paper? Like making it so there's some kind of frame, and the edges of the map itself curling up like paper, or held down by a stone or something.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby DiM on Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:00 am

InkL0sed wrote:Maybe if you made it so you could tell the whole thing is just a sheet of paper? Like making it so there's some kind of frame, and the edges of the map itself curling up like paper, or held down by a stone or something.

can't you see it's paper? i mean it has 2 horizontal folds, it has a crease in the top right, it has various shadows to highlight the fact that the the map is a 3d paper. but i guess i can add some corner curling.

i'm gonna go eat and i'll be back in an hour or 2 and start the update.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:34 am

i just got home and did some quick changes.

v6
added hand print and figerprints
added some new coffee stains
and dice.

i'm not sure i can put the risk figurines on the map though. aren't they copyrighted? so i didn't add them.

i will be working on a curl but i'm not sure where to place it. bottom left and right is impossible cause the terits will curl, top right has a crease and sig. so only top left remains but that has the scotch tape there so i need a really small curl or something. i'll work on it.

Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:51 am

i managed to do the curl afterall. it's small but it looks good. :D

v7

curl

Major DiM

Postby InkL0sed on Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:59 am

Looking better, keep it up.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby edbeard on Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:35 pm

maybe I'm getting a bit ahead of myself, though honestly I don't see any problems with the map, but where are the army counts going to go.

In many places it is obvious, but in others I have questions.

For instance, W1 (to the left of the Mall), are you going to place it in between the W1 and the S ? Or, over the S itself? Do you think this will look good?

Also, I suppose for the arsonists: is it going on top of the image you have?; above it?; again, will this look good?

For all I know the counts might actually fit right under the W1 text.
Major edbeard

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Postby DiM on Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:39 pm

edbeard wrote:maybe I'm getting a bit ahead of myself, though honestly I don't see any problems with the map, but where are the army counts going to go.

In many places it is obvious, but in others I have questions.

For instance, W1 (to the left of the Mall), are you going to place it in between the W1 and the S ? Or, over the S itself? Do you think this will look good?

Also, I suppose for the arsonists: is it going on top of the image you have?; above it?; again, will this look good?

For all I know the counts might actually fit right under the W1 text.

thanks for the feedback ed.
here's what i posted a few pages back:

DiM wrote:testing army numbers

i hope that clears your concern. as for the arsonist that's the only place where the army number will overlay something because i will put it right in the window of the BAD shop. but that won't cause any readability probles.

anything else besides the numbers?
Major DiM

Postby edbeard on Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:50 pm

not really. well a couple things I guess.

observations:

1. everyone has 3 borders to hold their starting colour area except green and red

2. it's a bit hard to tell the colours of certain shops. Mostly when they're in a different colour block. The one in P8 is that blue? cyan? green? I'm pretty sure it is cyan, but I'm sure someone else will be confused.

well, can a colour-blind player play the map? maybe add a letter to the shop picture to help distinguish.
Major edbeard

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Postby mibi on Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:59 pm

I am a little bummed you are going the blueprints route with this. I was quote looking forward to a top down city map with all kinds of neat details. I think CC needs something like that and it would be unique as well. It seems to me that the blue print style is a bit of a cop out as far as graphics goes, especially considering the version you have currently shares more in common with doodle earth than anything you would see on a city planner's desk.

But if you continue with the blueprints maybe you can add a rule, compass, pencil and pen.
Captain mibi

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Postby DiM on Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:03 pm

edbeard wrote:not really. well a couple things I guess.

observations:

1. everyone has 3 borders to hold their starting colour area except green and red

2. it's a bit hard to tell the colours of certain shops. Mostly when they're in a different colour block. The one in P8 is that blue? cyan? green? I'm pretty sure it is cyan, but I'm sure someone else will be confused.

well, can a colour-blind player play the map? maybe add a letter to the shop picture to help distinguish.

there's no starting area. each player gets a home and then all terits excetpt shops subs and mall+manor get randomly distributed.
so each player will get a home plus several other terits all over town.

as for the colors i think i'll switch them to the new colors used by CC that should make everything clear.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:07 pm

mibi wrote:I am a little bummed you are going the blueprints route with this. I was quote looking forward to a top down city map with all kinds of neat details. I think CC needs something like that and it would be unique as well. It seems to me that the blue print style is a bit of a cop out as far as graphics goes, especially considering the version you have currently shares more in common with doodle earth than anything you would see on a city planner's desk.

But if you continue with the blueprints maybe you can add a rule, compass, pencil and pen.

glad you're right on the spot. this is a blueprint some kids found on their dad's desk. they took a pen and drew some shops made up some instructions and colored the terits, then started playing risk. also they kinda put their dirty hands all over the map but that's not a problem since dad had already spilled coffee.

so if you saw doodle earth there then i'm pleased. adding rulers and stuff will not enhance the "kids @ play" feeling and will clutter the map.
Major DiM

Postby mibi on Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:14 pm

DiM wrote:
mibi wrote:I am a little bummed you are going the blueprints route with this. I was quote looking forward to a top down city map with all kinds of neat details. I think CC needs something like that and it would be unique as well. It seems to me that the blue print style is a bit of a cop out as far as graphics goes, especially considering the version you have currently shares more in common with doodle earth than anything you would see on a city planner's desk.

glad you're right on the spot. this is a blueprint some kids found on their dad's desk. they took a pen and drew some shops made up some instructions and colored the terits, then started playing risk. also they kinda put their dirty hands all over the map but that's not a problem since dad had already spilled coffee.

so if you saw doodle earth there then i'm pleased. adding rulers and stuff will not enhance the "kids @ play" feeling and will clutter the map.

perhaps you need to accentuate the "kids @ play" aspect if thats what your going for because right now its ambiguously amateur. maybe a half eaten cookie or crayons or something.
Captain mibi

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas