Treasures of Galápagos [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Kaplowitz on Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:35 am

I like it a lot, but im having trouble finding all of the symbols. Could you make them stand out a little more?
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Postby I GOT SERVED on Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:57 pm

Minor typo, you have the accent over the wrong A. The accent is over the second A, not the third.

As edbeard said, some of the borders are somewhat unclear.

Is there any way that you could make the turtles stand out a bit more? They aren't very noticable on certain islands.

A question about gameplay: Do the Luggers connect to all reefs? Or do they all connect to each other?

Highest score: 2512
Highest rank: 424
Major I GOT SERVED

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3)

Postby Lone.prophet on Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:33 pm

i like the idea though i think the graphics needs to be more clear
Captain Lone.prophet

Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Map Contribution (1)

Postby yeti_c on Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:41 pm

Another Cairns map - another masterpiece - and another stroke of genius for originality...

(BTW - I voted yes in the poll!!!)

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby Coleman on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:45 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:I like it a lot, but im having trouble finding all of the symbols. Could you make them stand out a little more?
Maybe if you gave them all a thin outline that had a sharp contrast to the background.
Sergeant Coleman

Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (6) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby onbekende on Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:16 pm

I had to found out from your sig that this was here

I should come to here more often :D
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Sergeant 1st Class onbekende

Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (2)

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:34 am

onbekende wrote:I had to found out from your sig that this was here

I should come to here more often :D

hidden treasure eh? :wink:
Private cairnswk

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby Coleman on Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:26 am

When will we be seeing another version? I'm excited for this one.
Sergeant Coleman

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (6) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:10 pm

Coleman wrote:When will we be seeing another version? I'm excited for this one.
Probably this weekend Coleman, I have changed the tortoises and am wokring on the borders between the terts along with the reefs.
Private cairnswk

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby cairnswk on Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:40 pm

Version 3

Small changes on this one:
1. redefined the borders a little more
2. moved some terts around for better definition and gameplay.
3. changed the graphic for the tortoises
4. Changed legend around

Last edited by cairnswk on Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Postby gimil on Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:48 pm

I have a bad feeling about how this will playout with the color blind community. There very little contrats across the map.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby edbeard on Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:01 pm

I'm not sure you really solved the major problems you had.

The divisions between borders are still hazy to me.

I still think players are going to be eliminated quite quickly. First turn Reef 3 takes over G1 and Lugger Pintmar. Reef 2 knows that either I can place my armies on the reef and hope not to get killed or I can attack and try to stop him. If you don't take over the Lugger then you're probably dead. On the second turn. But, just sitting there waiting is not a smart strategy either.

Sorry I don't really have any advice for you. I really just don't know how you can make this map work.
Major edbeard

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Postby cairnswk on Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:03 pm

gimil wrote:I have a bad feeling about how this will playout with the color blind community. There very little contrats across the map.

As oaktown pointed out on the Rail Europe map, as long as those terts are all idientified adequately, there is no problem from what i can gather. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:07 pm

edbeard wrote:I'm not sure you really solved the major problems you had.

The divisions between borders are still hazy to me.

I still think players are going to be eliminated quite quickly. First turn Reef 3 takes over G1 and Lugger Pintmar. Reef 2 knows that either I can place my armies on the reef and hope not to get killed or I can attack and try to stop him. If you don't take over the Lugger then you're probably dead. On the second turn. But, just sitting there waiting is not a smart strategy either.

Sorry I don't really have any advice for you. I really just don't know how you can make this map work.

Probably :) need to give reef 2 another link the opposite way to lugger isiago.
Private cairnswk

Postby Coleman on Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:07 pm

edbeard wrote:Sorry I don't really have any advice for you. I really just don't know how you can make this map work.
We can change the starting value of assigned territories now. Enough neutrals between things and the right start value and nobody is going to die before they move.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby cairnswk on Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:18 pm

Coleman wrote:
edbeard wrote:Sorry I don't really have any advice for you. I really just don't know how you can make this map work.
We can change the starting value of assigned territories now. Enough neutrals between things and the right start value and nobody is going to die before they move.

Mmmm I wasn't planning on having too many large neutral terts, certainly nothing over 3.

I've added that extra tert to give Reef 2 starter an extra out in this version 3...please F5.

Private cairnswk

Postby edbeard on Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:28 pm

well you still have reefs that are really close together

5 and 6

7 and 8

Those could probably kill each other on their first go. Do we want to have a ton of neutrals in between to stop this from happening? Well, that 'solves the problem' but is that any fun? Does it make for a good map?

All of the Luggers connect right? So, any of the reefs that are within 2 territories of the Luggers are in danger as well. Not just the reef2 to reef3 example I used before.

I just can't imagine how this map can work at the moment. Unless you wanted to put a ton of neutrals everywhere. But, I don't think this is fun and I don't think this is what you envisioned.
Major edbeard

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Postby Coleman on Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:33 pm

3 neutrals and people starting with 10 armies on their territory combats this pretty well doesn't it? 15 has to eat through 13 to kill someone spread over two territories.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby cairnswk on Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:35 pm

edbeard wrote:well you still have reefs that are really close together

5 and 6

7 and 8

Those could probably kill each other on their first go. Do we want to have a ton of neutrals in between to stop this from happening? Well, that 'solves the problem' but is that any fun? Does it make for a good map?

All of the Luggers connect right? So, any of the reefs that are within 2 territories of the Luggers are in danger as well. Not just the reef2 to reef3 example I used before.

I just can't imagine how this map can work at the moment. Unless you wanted to put a ton of neutrals everywhere. But, I don't think this is fun and I don't think this is what you envisioned.
\

No i wanted fast games for this map, that's why they are close together.
Private cairnswk

Postby edbeard on Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:46 pm

I realize that but we can't have players being eliminated on the first or second round can we?

Right now I think this would happen quite a bit.
Major edbeard

Postby cairnswk on Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:58 pm

edbeard wrote:I realize that but we can't have players being eliminated on the first or second round can we?

Right now I think this would happen quite a bit.

Mmmm...i don't know edbeard. I have done this analysis of reef to reef by closest route....

Reef 1 - 2 to nearest lugger, 5 to reef 2.
Reef 2 - 3 to reef 4, 3 to Reef 3
Reef 3 - 3 to Reef 4, 4 to Reef 2
Reef 4 - 4 to Reef 3, 3 to Reef 2, 3 to Reef 7, 3 to Reef 6.
Reef 5 - 3 to Reef 6, 4 to Reef 4
Reef 6 - 3 to Reef 5, 5 to Reef 7
Reef 7 - 4 to reef 4, 3 to Reef 8
Reef 8, 3 to Reef 7

I think there is a good even spread there, with some routes taking via bonuses, armies are not going to disappear in the first or second round unless someone gets very bad dice and wastes all their armies in one go, and that can happen at any time as you know. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby edbeard on Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:06 pm

yes but there's also the Luggers. Those within 2 territories of the luggers are also in danger.

Many of the reefs start within 2 of a lugger. Like I reasoned in my example above, people are going to be eliminated because of going after that lugger.

Furthermore, I start with 3 on my lugger. 3 + 3 (for standard territory bonus)+3 (for my reef). I think 9 armies can do away with 3 territories quite easily. Four territories isn't out of the question either.

It just seems like it'll be a map where luck is more involved than strategy. But, I think we both know my position by now so I'll let other people do some discussing.
Major edbeard

Postby cairnswk on Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:18 pm

edbeard wrote:yes but there's also the Luggers. Those within 2 territories of the luggers are also in danger.

Many of the reefs start within 2 of a lugger. Like I reasoned in my example above, people are going to be eliminated because of going after that lugger.

Furthermore, I start with 3 on my lugger. 3 + 3 (for standard territory bonus)+3 (for my reef). I think 9 armies can do away with 3 territories quite easily. Four territories isn't out of the question either.

It just seems like it'll be a map where luck is more involved than strategy. But, I think we both know my position by now so I'll let other people do some discussing.

ok.....i AM hearing you...but I agree let's see what some others have to say. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:25 pm

This maps needs some gameplay discussion on the ability to have a 2 player game end quickly.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:22 pm

Does anyone want to give me heads up on this question?

Statement: I want to work this so that each player loses an army per round until they have secured a water source.
When they have secured the water source (of which there will be 8) the bonus of the dive start position and the water will be enough to compensate for that lose (should because of the xml, it has to continue occuring for the duration of the game)

Question. is this possible with the xml.
Private cairnswk

Next

Return to The Atlas