Treasures of Galápagos [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby cairnswk on Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:07 am

Coleman wrote:Image

Whoohoo! Thanks Coleman

Corporal cairnswk

Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Postby cairnswk on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:58 pm

Version 5

This adds a realistic image of an underwater ledge behind the legend to give appearance of the whole map being underwater cells.

Good, bad, indifferent....and thoughts?

Corporal cairnswk

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:43 pm

Hm, well lets see...

I like the idea behind this map. It's unique...something I never expected to see.

The colors in this map are intense, as most of your maps are. I like it. Though it may be a little too bright and green in the top right corner.

The new legend background looks like it clashes with the brightness in the rest of the map. I also liked the seperation of the legend from the game board...with the new version it is difficult to determine that. I'm not sure I prefer the older legend, but it seemed closer to fitting I think.

For the most part I like the images you have on the map, except for perhaps the sailboat image. It seems a little out of place...at least those on the right side of the map (the ones that seem to have more white).

Lastly, in the text in the upper left hand corner, it may be more proper to say "...natural treasures as you can for naturalists to record." ...as the term botanist just refers to plants, while naturalist refers to both plants and animals. :)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby cairnswk on Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:13 am

AndyDufresne wrote:Hm, well lets see...

I like the idea behind this map. It's unique...something I never expected to see.
Wow, thanks Andy. :)

The colors in this map are intense, as most of your maps are. I like it. Though it may be a little too bright and green in the top right corner.

Yes still working on the top right corner to reduce the green....and find more appropriate tones for the underwater appearance.

The new legend background looks like it clashes with the brightness in the rest of the map. I also liked the seperation of the legend from the game board...with the new version it is difficult to determine that. I'm not sure I prefer the older legend, but it seemed closer to fitting I think.

Yes i think the background fits, but i will continue to develop this and see what happens with the legend, but i do like the idea of the rock ledge.

For the most part I like the images you have on the map, except for perhaps the sailboat image. It seems a little out of place...at least those on the right side of the map (the ones that seem to have more white).

Uh huh...will fix.

Lastly, in the text in the upper left hand corner, it may be more proper to say "...natural treasures as you can for naturalists to record." ...as the term botanist just refers to plants, while naturalist refers to both plants and animals. :)
--Andy

:oops:
Corporal cairnswk

Postby BENJIKAT IS DEAD on Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:22 am

Is the info in the first post correct about the current thinking about starting positions / neutrals?

I hope not, as it basically becomes AoM:might with the castles able to attack each other directly - most definitely not a good thing.
Colonel BENJIKAT IS DEAD

Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (5)
Clan Achievement (1)

Postby cairnswk on Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:21 am

BENJIKAT IS DEAD wrote:Is the info in the first post correct about the current thinking about starting positions / neutrals?

I hope not, as it basically becomes AoM:might with the castles able to attack each other directly - most definitely not a good thing.

well yes and no...not quite...because you have to get water before any bonuses...yes there will be neutrals between all the reefs.
Corporal cairnswk

Postby BENJIKAT IS DEAD on Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:06 am

cairnswk wrote:
BENJIKAT IS DEAD wrote:Is the info in the first post correct about the current thinking about starting positions / neutrals?

well yes and no...not quite...because you have to get water before any bonuses...yes there will be neutrals between all the reefs.

I've spotted the "starts diving" bit now - in the first post it still says that you start with the luggers...
Colonel BENJIKAT IS DEAD

Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (5)
Clan Achievement (1)

Postby yeti_c on Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:15 am

Hey Cairns,

Loving this map - and loving the idea of the treasures etc...

Here's a good website I found for others to research (I'm sure you've found it yourself)

http://www.galapagos.org/

With some piccies...

(:roll: Blue Footed Boobies)

(Penguins)

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby DiM on Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:16 am

the new legend is very nice. it naturally flows into the map, i like that.

what i don't like is the fact that some things are harder to see now. like the small text or some of the icons. but this is definitely in the right direction.

one more thing is the pink on the map. it used to be a very light pink but now it's too strong. if you could make it light again it would be sweet.

also could you please put the neutral values on the map so we can analyze the gameplay better?
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby FreeMan10 on Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:25 pm

Maybe move the penguin up in the legend so his feet line up with the bottom of the 'penguin' text. Since he's a vertical element and the others are more horizontal, he doesn't seem to be attached to any of the three quite properly.

Also, the Iguana & Tortoise get a bit lost in the dark background there.
Private FreeMan10

Medals: 3
Standard Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby cairnswk on Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:29 pm

Version 6.

Lots of changes:
1. several layers added to get rid of green in top right corner
2. legend nimals given glow to make stand out
3. botanist changed to naturalist
4. snorkel + water made + 4 in legend rather than lugger + water
5. terts given starting numbers, 10 on reefs, 5 on luggers and 2 neutrals for each other tert.
6. luggers fixed
7. legend more legible i think.

Corporal cairnswk

Postby MrBenn on Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:40 pm

Just have to make sure that people don't get naturalist and naturists confused! :lol:
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby cairnswk on Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:13 pm

MrBenn wrote:Just have to make sure that people don't get naturalist and naturists confused! :lol:
Hehehe!

I'ave also added some underwater life to the background...
Corporal cairnswk

Postby gimil on Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:20 pm

The new colors are excellent cairns :)

My only concern for the time being is that the legends text at the top right is difficult to read :(
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby cairnswk on Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:28 pm

gimil wrote:The new colors are excellent cairns :)

My only concern for the time being is that the legends text at the top right is difficult to read :(

Thanks Gimil....top left text i'll prob have the backglow.

What about the gameplay??? Any comments?
Corporal cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas