[Official] Classic TOUCH-UP [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [Official] Classic TOUCH-UP [Quenched]

Postby RjBeals on Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:49 pm

So people would really leave the site cause the white army circles are too bright? Thats a little ridiculous. Have you seen the other risk sites? They blow in comparison.
Private RjBeals

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
General Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Postby T7 on Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:59 pm

Sure they would, if there was a viable alternative.

There isn't a viable alternative. But this map... this is where those things start.

Lets work forward...

- Make this map so a large proportion of CC isn't in uproar about it, or...

- Give people an option of old or new classic.
Highest score: 2039 24/6/11 (1910 16/2/10, 1903 6/1/09)
Major T7

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby lewdog on Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:47 pm

First of all, what is the foundry? I go to this site to play risk not foundry or forum the forge. The new map sucks. maybe I will get use to it, but as of now I think it is worse and it's all because of those stupid circles. The circles are very distracting every time I look at it I just think that sucks. I really hate looking at it because it's not a map anymore it's just circles.
Lieutenant lewdog

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)

Postby firstholliday on Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:59 pm

Nowbody knows where to look and nobody cares. there are threads in callouts, announchements , gen discussion and map foundry. Nobody gives %^&*** they are here to play games. and it is here now 24 hours, combined in all threads arround a 1000 people have complaint.

my english may suck. but you people are dumb. i can learn how to suck. but once dumb allways.......
7 firstholliday 3589 (58%) General 128-2 Netherlands
Colonel firstholliday

Medals: 35
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Polymorphic Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (7)

Postby equalpants on Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:03 pm

It seems to me that the biggest problem with the circles is their high contrast with the rest of the map. The Classic map is really dark; there are plenty of maps where the entire map is about the same brightness as these circles (Middle East, Scotland), and I don't find them hard to read. Maybe the overall brightness of the map could be increased, while darkening the circles slightly? This might keep the troop numbers readable, by increasing their contrast with the map, while also making the circles stand out less.
Major equalpants

Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby T7 on Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:17 pm

Why try to unscramble an egg?

The old map was fine. It was dark, mysterious, classic, well known and loved.
Highest score: 2039 24/6/11 (1910 16/2/10, 1903 6/1/09)
Major T7

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby Ray Rider on Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:20 pm

T7 wrote:Lots of people don't check the map foundry. Lots of people come here JUST TO PLAY RISK.

SO... the problems...

IMPORTANT...

1. The white dots are far too bright, they shouldn't really exist at all - or if they do, they should be unnoticable (rather than glaringly obvious).

I agree--my biggest peeve is those white circles. I say make a map exactly like the real classic risk map, and have this new one as a "Revised Classic" or something. But bring back the real classic!! Please? I mean, it's not serious enough that I'd quit CC, but it is an annoyance.
Highest score: 2221
Major Ray Rider

Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby firstholliday on Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:21 pm

no use at all. jiminski posted this thread in the spanking monki's forum. i had to use the link to come here...

people don't look for it jobs...... they wanna fight kamchatka in the right corner pocket!!!
7 firstholliday 3589 (58%) General 128-2 Netherlands
Colonel firstholliday

Medals: 35
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Polymorphic Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (7)

Postby InkL0sed on Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:26 pm

Instead of complaining about how the Foundry works, why don't you guys just, you know... make it better? Maybe with a little more participation? That would be helpful. :roll:
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Postby MajorRT on Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:31 pm

I think it will be up to Lack to fix (or veto) this ; it looks like certain mapmakers are set that the new map is better but the vast majority disagrees and are going blind from the brightness..........................Pres. Bush is unpopular by the same approval rating and we can't do much , but maybe someone here will listen...............
Last edited by MajorRT on Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Colonel MajorRT

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby comic boy on Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:56 pm

The continents are too dense and glitzy and the circles are far too loud, either make the map far more pastel or better still just go back to the old version. If there really was a problem for a minority then why not design a similar map for them and leave the majority with the map they love. Such a simple solution so no doubt it will be ignored in what seems to me a war of wills rather than a desire to please the community as a whole.
Im a TOFU miSfit
Brigadier comic boy

Medals: 28
Conqueror Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2)
Terminator Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10)

Postby Kaplowitz on Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:59 pm

if this map was the original one, and they switched it to the old one, people would be just as mad. People are just not used to it, or are just opposed to change. Its obviously better.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Postby Ditocoaf on Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:00 pm

InkL0sed wrote:Instead of complaining about how the Foundry works, why don't you guys just, you know... make it better? Maybe with a little more participation? That would be helpful. :roll:

Ditocoaf wrote:Begin scene:
The mapmaking community feels neglected and ignored as the larger part of the community refrains from visiting the foundry and reading the threads. Like an ignored child, they decide to lash out, do something that will cause us to sit up and take notice! That'll teach the community to not visit the foundry! If we don't like what they're doing, then we should be here all the time, scanning each of the threads. Finally, the mapmaking sub-community will have the attention they crave!
Private 1st Class Ditocoaf

Medals: 2
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby cmckinney on Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:01 pm

Why don't they just have the option to choose the old one if you prefer it? That doesn't seem to hard to do...
Marvel Heroes Clan
Private cmckinney

Medals: 1
Standard Achievement (1)

Postby Kaplowitz on Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:03 pm

Begin scene:
The mapmaking community feels neglected and ignored as the larger part of the community refrains from visiting the foundry and reading the threads. Like an ignored child, they decide to lash out, do something that will cause us to sit up and take notice! That'll teach the community to not visit the foundry! If we don't like what they're doing, then we should be here all the time, scanning each of the threads. Finally, the mapmaking sub-community will have the attention they crave!

thats ridiculous! There is no attention crave. It was obviously announced that the map was being adjusted. If you wanted to come in and help out, then fine. The Map Foundry HONESTLY believes that this map is good, we dont care if you are "neglecting" us.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas