Rail Australia [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby cairnswk on Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:48 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:I dont like the way the pink looks now. (Actually only TNC and ASP)

OK.. I'll adjust that to the colour of Darwin
Private cairnswk

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby whitestazn88 on Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:49 pm

are those rings that float around australia ports?
Sergeant 1st Class whitestazn88

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (1)

Postby cairnswk on Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:52 pm

DiM wrote:v3 is better. easier to read except for the blue text on the water.

anyway. i still think the chances of an opponent starting with a big bonus are pretty big. don't know the exact chance but in 2 or 3 p games i think somebody will get bonuses right from the start.

is there anything really wrong with that given the spread of terts.

and speaking of bonuses, the bonus for long distance passenger services is a nice addition but it has a big problem of being hard to spot. for example by the time i read the whole indian pacific route and identify the stations on the map i think i'll miss my turn.

i luv u when u exaggerate...u do it so well LOL

perhaps marking each bonus with a coloured dot and then adding that dot to the stations?

I'm not sure a coloured dot would be helpful to the rest of the colour schemata,,,i don't want this ot end in mayhem/chaos whatever Hehehehe!
However, a simple box with I in it might be appropriate on the left over the station for the Indian-Pacific. I'll see what i can dooooooo - didgeridoo, doo, dooooooooooooooooooo
Private cairnswk

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:02 pm

cairnswk wrote:
DiM wrote:v3 is better. easier to read except for the blue text on the water.

anyway. i still think the chances of an opponent starting with a big bonus are pretty big. don't know the exact chance but in 2 or 3 p games i think somebody will get bonuses right from the start.

is there anything really wrong with that given the spread of terts.

it depends. as i said i don't know the exact chances to get a some ports and resources in 2-3 player games but surely i wouldn't want a guy going first with 6 extra armies. i would be at a great disadvantage.

cairnswk wrote:
and speaking of bonuses, the bonus for long distance passenger services is a nice addition but it has a big problem of being hard to spot. for example by the time i read the whole indian pacific route and identify the stations on the map i think i'll miss my turn.

i luv u when u exaggerate...u do it so well LOL

:P

cairnswk wrote:
perhaps marking each bonus with a coloured dot and then adding that dot to the stations?

I'm not sure a coloured dot would be helpful to the rest of the colour schemata,,,i don't want this ot end in mayhem/chaos whatever Hehehehe!
However, a simple box with I in it might be appropriate on the left over the station for the Indian-Pacific. I'll see what i can dooooooo - didgeridoo, doo, dooooooooooooooooooo

a box a dot i don't care. as long as it's some sort of identifier so that people don't have to look at the map and then at the text and then back at the map and back at the text and so on.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby Gozar on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:49 pm

I fully support this cairnswk creation...

...but I do not like the colours. :?
Lieutenant Gozar

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (9) General Contribution (1)

Postby cairnswk on Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:24 pm

whitestazn88 wrote:are those rings that float around australia ports?

no, whitestazn88, please go back and read the first page.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:25 pm

Gozar wrote:I fully support this cairnswk creation...

:cry: :cry: More info please Gozar.
Private cairnswk

Postby Gozar on Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:01 pm

cairnswk wrote:
Gozar wrote:I fully support this cairnswk creation...

:cry: :cry: More info please Gozar.

Turn that frown upside-down! The colours will not ruin this map.

I personally do not enjoy the purple colour of the continent. Sorry, I have no suggestions to make it better. Maybe make the orange image in the center take up the whole thing?

My main concern is the blue text on the water.

Keep railroading! :)
Lieutenant Gozar

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (9) General Contribution (1)

Postby onbekende on Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:03 am

cairnswk wrote:
onbekende wrote:this r again win
Thanks onbekende...i trust you'll be available for the bonuses?
sure, why not he :D
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Sergeant onbekende

Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (2)

Postby onbekende on Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:09 am

Bonusses + comments:

NSWRail: 13 terr, 7 def/att, 6 cont => Bonus of 8 (7 is good, stays 7)
AusRail: 4 terr, 4 def/att, 6 cont => Bonus of 5 (this is a pickle, 2 is kinda low, 5 is definatly to high, guess a 3 is in order)
WARail: 15 terr, 6 def/att, 6 cont => Bonus of 8 (this is even a bigger pickle (I don't even like pickels :D) but a bonus of 4/5 is in place, offcourse this seems like a lands end, but the Prts are sufficient here to make it happen)
TasRail: 2 terr, 1 def/att, 1 cont => Bonus of 1 (good)
VicRail: 6 terr, 3 def/att, 3 cont => Bonus of 4 (3 is more then fine, I am even considering less, more later on that)
SARail: 9 terr, 5 def/att, 6 cont => Bonus of 6 (I say 4 even, thou 5 can happen too, depends on your view on what I will say later)
QRail: 15 terr, 7 def/att, 6 cont => Bonus of 9 (6 is fine me thinks)

now the biggest problem I see is Adelaine/ALB (dunno long name, think) because it gives you a bonus of 8 for only keeping those 2 as border! Dunno about a solution, but I know as hell I would take that if I play this map!
+ that part is easely expandable, via SARail that is

Another thing, nice port/mineral stuff, thou in QRail the top 2 look way to similar in color, make 1 orange or so?

thats it for now, I am not going into the extra bonusses unless I find the time and will to copy your map and draw those lines out in paint (hard to see them hé)
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder and CEO of JF
Sergeant onbekende

Standard Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (2)

Postby yeti_c on Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:11 am

Not sure I like the new gameplay with this one...

Prefer the "linear" continents.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby Unit_2 on Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:08 am

c'mon cairs... its looking good, but its alittle bright can you dim it alittle?
Private 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Tieryn on Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:25 am

Little note:

The Ghan down the bottom lists "FGA" not "KGA"
Sergeant 1st Class Tieryn

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby Tieryn on Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:28 am

Perhaps the overlander rail lines could be done in a different STYLE of rail way (with the colours changing on a state basis)

Eg, you could have double lines along one, a double line/crossed train track, a triple line, a thin line...

Would make it easier to identify where that rail line goes to the next one, without adding in splotchy dots everywhere.

It's very hard at the moment to work out the overlander route, at easy first glance.
Sergeant 1st Class Tieryn

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby gimil on Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:32 am

cairns can you update the title with the page of your map :)

Its a requirement on colemans list to move out of ideas, Which ill do if he isnt on later since i havent heard from him in a couple of days.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby cairnswk on Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:48 pm

gimil wrote:cairns can you update the title with the page of your map :)

Its a requirement on colemans list to move out of ideas, Which ill do if he isnt on later since i havent heard from him in a couple of days.

Version 3

Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:53 pm

Unit_2 wrote:c'mon cairs... its looking good, but its alittle bright can you dim it alittle?

which parts unit_2...cause i don't know if you are joshing me or not!
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:05 pm

yeti_c wrote:Not sure I like the new gameplay with this one...

Prefer the "linear" continents.

C.

C...common....think of this as welcome return to classic with some linear bonuses included for long distance passenger trains....and i think they are good incentives. :wink:
Private cairnswk

Postby onbekende on Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:06 pm

cairnswk wrote:
Unit_2 wrote:c'mon cairs... its looking good, but its alittle bright can you dim it alittle?

which parts unit_2...cause i don't know if you are joshing me or not!
think he means the circle, to be more presice, the border of the circle (in the middle, can't miss it)
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder and CEO of JF
Sergeant onbekende

Postby Unit_2 on Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:09 pm

here:

Private 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby cairnswk on Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:10 pm

Tieryn wrote:Perhaps the overlander rail lines could be done in a different STYLE of rail way (with the colours changing on a state basis)

Eg, you could have double lines along one, a double line/crossed train track, a triple line, a thin line...

Would make it easier to identify where that rail line goes to the next one, without adding in splotchy dots everywhere.

It's very hard at the moment to work out the overlander route, at easy first glance.

OK...thanks for that Tieryn...another idea is always good for the mix...i was having trouble with what to do with these long trains services.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:11 pm

Unit_2 wrote:here:

Oh that....yeh i can fix that for you...it's meant to represent the desert in the middle of australia, but i have toned it down in the next version.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:23 pm

Version 4.

Changes:
1. Red heart dulled.
2. code on ghan fixed.
3. onbekende suggestions for bonuses - some adjusted.
4. text on water lightened

Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:46 am

VErsion 5.

As a solution to the long distance rail journeys....would the below be suitable?

Private cairnswk

Postby Skittles! on Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:29 am

I am sad. No local train station for me. :cry: Too bad there's no room between Sydney and Newcastle, eh?

Looking good Cairns. This is going to be FUN!
KraphtOne wrote:when you sign up a new account one of the check boxes should be "do you want to foe colton24 (it is highly recommended) "
Corporal Skittles!

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Next

Return to The Atlas