Conquer Club

Age of Realms: Mayhem [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:17 pm

gimil wrote:i still think it should have a medieval fell to it in the end. Im kind of grown on the orc territory now but thats as far as ill go.

Alot of the borders give me the impression of having a neo glow.

For this map:
    1.Elfs I think elegent grassland again, more saturated than human.
    2.Rock Golems i think mountains rather than some quick and easy rock surface tutorial that can be found on the net.
    3.Dwarfs i think mining, which i dont et with the orange/green thing going on

I could go on but i thik you get the idea.

medieval feel was on the first map. been there done that. i don't want a copy of age of might. although that would have been the easiest path.

the borders.. hmm they had a glow in all of the chapters so far. why is it wrong now?

1. dark elves = dark magical forest
2. that's not rock surface those are in fact rock wastelands.
3. that was actually supposed to be something with fire dragons. not finding a fire dragon type creature i went with evil dwarfs. can change them to fire something.... wait magical thought. i just remembered the heroes of might and magic game. dwarves are out pit fiends are in. they fit better.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:18 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:Good luck trying to convince everyone that this actually looks good. I have said everything I want to say, and I'll be back after the first update.

i'll be waiting but i'm afraid you'll still be disappointed. the style stays.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:19 pm

gimil wrote:Change rock golems to Centaur, and give them a forest to live in.

nope forest is for the elves next door.
Major DiM

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:19 pm

DiM wrote:
Kaplowitz wrote:Dont get me wrong DiM, i love the way the map looks. I just think it could be toned done a bit.
also, Maybe compare your creatures with other fantasy type games/books/movies. ice golem/rock golem dont seem to creative imo. Maybe keep one and change one to something else.

This took a minute of research, and i already found a bunch of potential creatures!

http://www.mythcreatures.co.uk/beasts/sent.asp

"Sentient Creatures
Sentient creatures are intelligent aware creatures such as Elves, Orcs and Gnomes."

* Black Orc
* Centaur
* Drow
* Dryads
* Dwarves
* Fairies
* Gnomes
* Goblins
* High Elves
* Hobgoblins
* Merfolk
* Nymph
* Orcs
* Ratmen
* Satyr/Faun
* Troglodytes
* Wood Elves
(click for info)

I look forward to seeing the next update, honestly.
btw: i like the sanctuary ones, they sound dangerous! :twisted:

i was really stomped when it came to the ice creatures. that's why i used ice golems :P
i can change them with ease if somebody tells me what i can put there. those listed above don't fit with the ice landscape.

Ice Elementals

Ice Elementals are swift and powerful creatures, they appear as humanoids made of solid ice. They attack with a chill attack that drains the life out of the target. They also can attack with spears of ice that it can fire at its target. Ice elementals are weak against fire attacks as they melt away into a pool of water.

Got it from the website above ^^^
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:21 pm

gimil wrote:
Kaplowitz wrote:
gimil wrote:1.Elfs I think elegent grassland again, more saturated than human.

1- when i think of elves, i think of thick forests.

Wood elf . . .

Im thinking high elfs :P

and i am thinking dark elves. you know, the evil brothers of the normal orlando bloom type elves.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:22 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:
Ice Elementals

cool. ice elementals it is. thanks.

so i'll change dwarfs with pit fiends and ice golems with ice elementals.
Major DiM

Postby Sir. Ricco on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:28 pm

humm... I am a huge fan of Age of Magic, but this one doesn't seem to flow right. Also, who ever starts with Aoria I think will have a big advatage.
Captain Sir. Ricco

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:28 pm

DiM wrote:
gimil wrote:
Kaplowitz wrote:

Wood elf . . .

and i am thinking dark elves. you know, the evil brothers of the normal orlando bloom type elves.

High Elves
Elves are a tall, slim and regal built race. They are seen as a noble race, and tend to be beautiful or handsome in appearance. Elves are a paled skinned race. Elves are strong and agile in comparison with humans and are often seen as more intelligent and wiser. Elves have a longer life span than humans do. Elves build refined weapons that are seen as master craftsmanship by other races. They use Swords, bows and lances mainly they don't like using crossbows or gunpowder weapons.

Drows / Dark Elves

The Dark Elves or Drows are the same as there high elf cousins a tall noble looking race with pale skin and are slender but unlike High Elves which are masters of light magic's, dark elves practice dark sorcery, and have become very adept at it. Dark Elves live in great cities made of dark stone. Dark Elves are constantly at war with their High Elf kin. They use masterly crafted weapons but they carry repeating crossbows, which seem to be unique to them. Dark Elf females that follow the path of sorcery are called Witch Elves and are a warrior sisterhood. Dark Elves always seem to where dark colours such as blacks, deep purples and dark blues.

Wood Elves

Wood Elves are similar to High Elves and Drow they are a slender noble race with pale skin and often pointed ears. Wood elves live deep with the forests and are guardians of the natural world. Wood elves work with the forest they try not to damage the forest like other races do. Wood elves are extremely agile, there main method of attack is the bow, but they will use hand-to-hand fighting. Wood elves like to use stealth as there are fewer of them compared to the High Elves and Dark Elves. Wood Elves prefer not to wear armour this allows them to move more rapidly through forests though they tend to wear fabrics in greens and browns to match in with there surroundings, this helps them to move around unnoticed.

Im guessing Orlando was a wood elf. :?

imo: dark elf fits best.
Last edited by Kaplowitz on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby hulmey on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:30 pm

Already 2 maps that look the same as this one. Its getting a little boring :?

No comment lol
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:30 pm

Sir. Ricco wrote:humm... I am a huge fan of Age of Magic, but this one doesn't seem to flow right. Also, who ever starts with Aoria I think will have a big advatage.

why? remember the neutral values of each terit will balance the gameplay. so yeah aoria will have a power rune next to it but that power rune will have a bigger neutral army on it.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:31 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:
DiM wrote:
gimil wrote:
Kaplowitz wrote:

Wood elf . . .

High Elves
Elves are a tall, slim and regal built race. They are seen as a noble race, and tend to be beautiful or handsome in appearance. Elves are a paled skinned race. Elves are strong and agile in comparison with humans and are often seen as more intelligent and wiser. Elves have a longer life span than humans do. Elves build refined weapons that are seen as master craftsmanship by other races. They use Swords, bows and lances mainly they don't like using crossbows or gunpowder weapons.

Drows / Dark Elves

The Dark Elves or Drows are the same as there high elf cousins a tall noble looking race with pale skin and are slender but unlike High Elves which are masters of light magic's, dark elves practice dark sorcery, and have become very adept at it. Dark Elves live in great cities made of dark stone. Dark Elves are constantly at war with their High Elf kin. They use masterly crafted weapons but they carry repeating crossbows, which seem to be unique to them. Dark Elf females that follow the path of sorcery are called Witch Elves and are a warrior sisterhood. Dark Elves always seem to where dark colours such as blacks, deep purples and dark blues.

Wood Elves

Wood Elves are similar to High Elves and Drow they are a slender noble race with pale skin and often pointed ears. Wood elves live deep with the forests and are guardians of the natural world. Wood elves work with the forest they try not to damage the forest like other races do. Wood elves are extremely agile, there main method of attack is the bow, but they will use hand-to-hand fighting. Wood elves like to use stealth as there are fewer of them compared to the High Elves and Dark Elves. Wood Elves prefer not to wear armour this allows them to move more rapidly through forests though they tend to wear fabrics in greens and browns to match in with there surroundings, this helps them to move around unnoticed.

Im guessing Orlando was a wood elf. :?

imo: dark elf fits best.

woohoo i win :P
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:32 pm

hulmey wrote:Already 2 maps that look the same as this one. Its getting a little boring :?

No comment lol

people keep complaining the map doesn't look the same and you come and say it looks the same :lol: :lol: :lol:
Major DiM

Postby Sir. Ricco on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:34 pm

DiM wrote:
Sir. Ricco wrote:humm... I am a huge fan of Age of Magic, but this one doesn't seem to flow right. Also, who ever starts with Aoria I think will have a big advatage.

why? remember the neutral values of each terit will balance the gameplay. so yeah aoria will have a power rune next to it but that power rune will have a bigger neutral army on it.

Yea, thats true. In the last one, I felt like Figye was a little off balance. :wink:
Check my games played list. The last ones are almost all Age of Magic. :D
Captain Sir. Ricco

Postby Sir. Ricco on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:35 pm

DiM wrote:
hulmey wrote:Already 2 maps that look the same as this one. Its getting a little boring :?

No comment lol

people keep complaining the map doesn't look the same and you come and say it looks the same :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like how its the same. Its still a popurlar map. :D
Captain Sir. Ricco

Postby Lone.prophet on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:35 pm

he says it has exactly the same shape so its the same not the visual appearence which now IMO is anywhere where it should be
Captain Lone.prophet

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:36 pm

Sir. Ricco wrote:
DiM wrote:

Yea, thats true. In the last one, I felt like Figye was a little off balance. :wink:
Check my games played list. The last ones are almost all Age of Magic. :D

you mean it was advantaged or disadvantaged?
Major DiM

Postby Sir. Ricco on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:37 pm

disadvantaged
Captain Sir. Ricco

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:39 pm

Sir. Ricco wrote:disadvantaged

really? i won many times from fygie. it's main advantage is the openness. it has so many alternatives to expand. it is the only one that has visibility to both entrances to the sanctuary, it has ports on 2 oceans and can reach the third easily via the ice cap. very open.
Major DiM

Postby gimil on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:40 pm

Neo glow = Bright/strong glow. Half of your boarders look like some fluresent light bulb that you would see outside some brothel in a red light district or night club.

***Deleted Image***
Last edited by gimil on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:43 pm

gimil wrote:Neo glow = Bright/strong glow. Half of your boarders look like some fluresent light bulb that you would see outside some brothel in a red light district or night club.

***Deleted Image***

woo. peep show. :lol:

ok i guess i could make the borders less neon-like.
i assume you're talking about borun sanctuary and xi borders.
Major DiM

Postby gimil on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:48 pm

DiM wrote:
gimil wrote:Neo glow = Bright/strong glow. Half of your boarders look like some fluresent light bulb that you would see outside some brothel in a red light district or night club.

***delete iamge***

Exactly, finally progrees:P

I also dont like all the different colors for some of the terr names. Its playing a part in making the map over caotic.

I like the terr names for:

1.Aeoria
    2.Mua
    3.Ghyr

The rest however i dont like

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:53 pm

gimil wrote:
DiM wrote:

***delete iamge***

Exactly, finally progrees:P

I also dont like all the different colors for some of the terr names. Its playing a part in making the map over caotic.

I like the terr names for:

1.Aeoria
    2.Mua
    3.Ghyr

The rest however i dont like

hey i never said i'm not willing to change things.

so aoria mua and ghyr are good.

sanctuary stays. i want the red. those are evil lyches surrounded by blood waters.

however dark elves rock golems and pit fiends can be changed. i'll see how.
Major DiM

Postby gimil on Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Ill await an update before further bitching commences :)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Shanba on Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:14 pm

A random newbie's two cents:

The Elven lands' dark green jars with the neon yellow for the borders which also jars with the blue for the glows of the runes. Similarly, with the rock golems, you have this grey, stonelike texture with these weird fluorescent green lines running across it. Things get lost among this swirling medley of bright glowing things - the runes of both are easy to miss, the river is missable, even the villages and castles are missable.

The dwarves, also, are quite strange. The random orange dashes don't look much like anything, the different shades of green seem to float on top of each other (as does the orange) for no real reason, and, tbh, I don't associate green and orange with dwarves.

The purple, black and white is OK for the sanctuary, but the purple across the ocean is fairly ugly and not really very smooth. Maybe sort of evil tendrils instead? I'm not sure what the sanctuary is meant to look like either, maybe make it more bonelike? The borders too?

These continents also clash with the other three: the human lands, the orcs and the ice golems: these are more sedate, more relaxed, with less going on. The random green specklings on the orcs don't look quite right, but the ice is very pretty and the green specks work well there as well as on the human continent. The water is also very nice, as are the little boats - it occurs to me, though, that if you're going for a chaotic battle feel, maybe some of the boats should be attacking each other? Maybe distinct styles for each species' boat? Actually, that stands for many of the buildings, too: you could make each species look distinct by making their buildings more unique, giving them more of a "dwarf" feel, or an "orc" feel.

Other than that, I'm sure it's awesome :D
Private Shanba

Postby gimil on Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:17 pm

Shanba wrote:A random newbie's two cents:

The Elven lands' dark green jars with the neon yellow for the borders which also jars with the blue for the glows of the runes. Similarly, with the rock golems, you have this grey, stonelike texture with these weird fluorescent green lines running across it. Things get lost among this swirling medley of bright glowing things - the runes of both are easy to miss, the river is missable, even the villages and castles are missable.

The dwarves, also, are quite strange. The random orange dashes don't look much like anything, the different shades of green seem to float on top of each other (as does the orange) for no real reason, and, tbh, I don't associate green and orange with dwarves.

The purple, black and white is OK for the sanctuary, but the purple across the ocean is fairly ugly and not really very smooth. Maybe sort of evil tendrils instead? I'm not sure what the sanctuary is meant to look like either, maybe make it more bonelike? The borders too?

These continents also clash with the other three: the human lands, the orcs and the ice golems: these are more sedate, more relaxed, with less going on. The random green specklings on the orcs don't look quite right, but the ice is very pretty and the green specks work well there as well as on the human continent. The water is also very nice, as are the little boats - it occurs to me, though, that if you're going for a chaotic battle feel, maybe some of the boats should be attacking each other? Maybe distinct styles for each species' boat? Actually, that stands for many of the buildings, too: you could make each species look distinct by making their buildings more unique, giving them more of a "dwarf" feel, or an "orc" feel.

Other than that, I'm sure it's awesome :D

You my dear friend are welcome back to the foundry at any time with comments like this :)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas