Conquer Club

Age of Realms: Mayhem [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:51 pm

gimil wrote:Sorry but for the most part im disapointed with this so far.

To much neow glowing going on. Has a much to futurisitic feel to it.

Im happy with the humans and ice golems feel but everything else is just bleh. Sorry DiM, but i think some more though is going to have to go into some of the landscape.

PM me when your ready to talk :P

what neon man? i see no neon.

you say it's futuristic and kaplowitz says he's disappointed it's not futuristic.

as for the more thought, trust me i gave it a lot of thought and this is the way i want to go. true some may like it some may not. i can live with that. middle east revamp is hated for the lack of colour and at the same time it is loved for the same reason.

i think this is the exact same case here. i'm not a pastel guy. i'm more of an "in your face" colours type
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby wcaclimbing on Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:53 pm

Put up a poll then, if you feel so confident. Lets see how many people actually like the graphics on this one.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:54 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:
DiM wrote:
Kaplowitz wrote:DiM, im disappointed. The graphics look ugly, and hurt my eyes. Its hard to tell whats going one. I dont like the textures and colors.

I like the idea though! Im sure it will look great when its done! :P

(and i was hoping for AoR:Modern....)

no modern.

as for the colours, what hard to tell? they are pretty distinct.

its not that its hard to tell what is what, its just that everything clashes with everything else. I strongly suggest changing the textures, making them a bit more natural. If you do that, itll look much better, and fit with the nature/environment theme of the other two maps.

they are natural at their roots but after pumping some steroids to emphasise them they got this way. as for fitting with the others, sorry but i don't want that. as i said things are exaggerated to suggest the mayhem and the proportions of the battle
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:55 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:The text. Especially near the Xi castle. It just looks rushed or something

edit: agree with wcaclimbing

what do you mean rushed?
it's the same text style as the other places. just the colour is different.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:58 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:Put up a poll then, if you feel so confident. Lets see how many people actually like the graphics on this one.

polls are useless, especially in the foundry.

as i said before, i exaggerated things to create a certain feeling, to create the mayhem, to emphasise the proportions of the battle. imagine a pastel looking calm and peaceful land. does that make you wage war and clash your armies against the enemy? now look at the map i presented. don't the textures and colours give you an agitated feeling don't they make your heart pump faster?
Major DiM

Postby cairnswk on Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:59 pm

DiM wrote:
Kaplowitz wrote:DiM, im disappointed. The graphics look ugly, and hurt my eyes. Its hard to tell whats going one. I dont like the textures and colors.

no modern.

told you it was too chaotic!!
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby wcaclimbing on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:00 pm

This new version is kinda depressing, I'm sure many people want this to be more similar than the first 2. Throw out the extra water territories, make the colors more gentle, Bring this all together so it feels like one map instead of a bunch of different ones. The first 2 were very popular maps, this new one throws in so much new stuff that it is more like a whole new map than a sequel.

Take the Lord of the Rings Trilogy for example. This is like having the first two movies as they are now, everyone likes them, but then for the third movie they replace all of the main characters and get a new plot, completely removing the feel that the first two had.

Postby wcaclimbing on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:02 pm

DiM wrote:imagine a pastel looking calm and peaceful land. does that make you wage war and clash your armies against the enemy? now look at the map i presented. don't the textures and colours give you an agitated feeling don't they make your heart pump faster?

I think a more pastel landscape would look much better.

And for the "agitated feeling", yes, i have that, but it is because i hate how it looks. Its not making me want to wage war, its making me want to avoid this map like the plague.

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:03 pm

Dont get me wrong DiM, i love the way the map looks. I just think it could be toned done a bit.
also, Maybe compare your creatures with other fantasy type games/books/movies. ice golem/rock golem dont seem to creative imo. Maybe keep one and change one to something else.

This took a minute of research, and i already found a bunch of potential creatures!

http://www.mythcreatures.co.uk/beasts/sent.asp

"Sentient Creatures
Sentient creatures are intelligent aware creatures such as Elves, Orcs and Gnomes."

* Black Orc
* Centaur
* Drow
* Dryads
* Dwarves
* Fairies
* Gnomes
* Goblins
* High Elves
* Hobgoblins
* Merfolk
* Nymph
* Orcs
* Ratmen
* Satyr/Faun
* Troglodytes
* Wood Elves
(click for info)

I look forward to seeing the next update, honestly.
btw: i like the sanctuary ones, they sound dangerous! :twisted:
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:03 pm

cairnswk wrote:
DiM wrote:

no modern.

chaotic is good.
Major DiM

Postby wcaclimbing on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:06 pm

DiM wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
DiM wrote:

no modern.

chaotic is good.

Cookies are good, also, but too many make you sick. Same thing with chaos. A bit can be good, but overdo it and you get a headache.

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:07 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:
DiM wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
DiM wrote:

no modern.

chaotic is good.

Cookies are good, also, but too many make you sick. Same thing with chaos. A bit can be good, but overdo it and you get a headache.

Im pretty sure i can prove you wrong with that :twisted:

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:07 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:This new version is kinda depressing, I'm sure many people want this to be more similar than the first 2. Throw out the extra water territories, make the colors more gentle, Bring this all together so it feels like one map instead of a bunch of different ones. The first 2 were very popular maps, this new one throws in so much new stuff that it is more like a whole new map than a sequel.

Take the Lord of the Rings Trilogy for example. This is like having the first two movies as they are now, everyone likes them, but then for the third movie they replace all of the main characters and get a new plot, completely removing the feel that the first two had.

well except for the graphic style and a few extra terits the map layout is unchanged. as for the many new things i don't think they are as many as you think. we have the castle bonus the resources (runes) bonus, the village bonus we still have decay (like in magic)
and basically the only new things as far as gameplay goes are the continent bonuses and the blood water terits. nothing else.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:08 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:
DiM wrote:imagine a pastel looking calm and peaceful land. does that make you wage war and clash your armies against the enemy? now look at the map i presented. don't the textures and colours give you an agitated feeling don't they make your heart pump faster?

I think a more pastel landscape would look much better.

And for the "agitated feeling", yes, i have that, but it is because i hate how it looks. Its not making me want to wage war, its making me want to avoid this map like the plague.

well i don't think it would look better. it wouldn't be representative for what i want to create. washed up colours don't suit my needs for this map.
Major DiM

Postby gimil on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:09 pm

DiM wrote:

Im happy with the humans and ice golems feel but everything else is just bleh. Sorry DiM, but i think some more though is going to have to go into some of the landscape.

you say it's futuristic and kaplowitz says he's disappointed it's not 1futuristic.

as for the more thought, trust me i gave it a lot of thought and this is the way i want to go. true some may like it some may not. i can live with that. middle east revamp is hated for the lack of colour and at the same time it is loved for the same reason.

i think this is the exact same case here. i'm not a pastel guy. i'm more of an "in your face" colours type

i still think it should have a medieval fell to it in the end. Im kind of grown on the orc territory now but thats as far as ill go.

Alot of the borders give me the impression of having a neo glow.

For this map:
    1.Elfs I think elegent grassland again, more saturated than human.
    2.Rock Golems i think mountains rather than some quick and easy rock surface tutorial that can be found on the net.
    3.Dwarfs i think mining, which i dont et with the orange/green thing going on

I could go on but i thik you get the idea.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby wcaclimbing on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:10 pm

Good luck trying to convince everyone that this actually looks good. I have said everything I want to say, and I'll be back after the first update.

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:10 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:Dont get me wrong DiM, i love the way the map looks. I just think it could be toned done a bit.
also, Maybe compare your creatures with other fantasy type games/books/movies. ice golem/rock golem dont seem to creative imo. Maybe keep one and change one to something else.

This took a minute of research, and i already found a bunch of potential creatures!

"Sentient Creatures
Sentient creatures are intelligent aware creatures such as Elves, Orcs and Gnomes."

* Black Orc
* Centaur
* Drow
* Dryads
* Dwarves
* Fairies
* Gnomes
* Goblins
* High Elves
* Hobgoblins
* Merfolk
* Nymph
* Orcs
* Ratmen
* Satyr/Faun
* Troglodytes
* Wood Elves
(click for info)

i was really stomped when it came to the ice creatures. that's why i used ice golems :P
i can change them with ease if somebody tells me what i can put there. those listed above don't fit with the ice landscape.
Major DiM

Postby gimil on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:14 pm

DiM wrote:
Kaplowitz wrote:Dont get me wrong DiM, i love the way the map looks. I just think it could be toned done a bit.

"Sentient Creatures

* Black Orc
* Centaur
* Drow
* Dryads
* Dwarves
* Fairies
* Gnomes
* Goblins
* High Elves
* Hobgoblins
* Merfolk
* Nymph
* Orcs
* Ratmen
* Satyr/Faun
* Troglodytes
* Wood Elves
(click for info)

i was really stomped when it came to the ice creatures. that's why i used ice golems :P
i can change them with ease if somebody tells me what i can put there. those listed above don't fit with the ice landscape.

Change rock golems to Centaur, and give them a forest to live in.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:15 pm

gimil wrote:
DiM wrote:

you say it's futuristic and kaplowitz says he's disappointed it's not 1futuristic.

i still think it should have a medieval fell to it in the end. Im kind of grown on the orc territory now but thats as far as ill go.

For this map:
    2.Rock Golems i think mountains rather than some quick and easy rock surface tutorial that can be found on the net.

1- when i think of elves, i think of thick forests.

Postby gimil on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:16 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:
gimil wrote:
DiM wrote:

For this map:

Wood elf . . .

Im thinking high elfs :P

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:17 pm

gimil wrote:i still think it should have a medieval fell to it in the end. Im kind of grown on the orc territory now but thats as far as ill go.

For this map:

medieval feel was on the first map. been there done that. i don't want a copy of age of might. although that would have been the easiest path.

the borders.. hmm they had a glow in all of the chapters so far. why is it wrong now?

1. dark elves = dark magical forest
2. that's not rock surface those are in fact rock wastelands.
3. that was actually supposed to be something with fire dragons. not finding a fire dragon type creature i went with evil dwarfs. can change them to fire something.... wait magical thought. i just remembered the heroes of might and magic game. dwarves are out pit fiends are in. they fit better.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:18 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:Good luck trying to convince everyone that this actually looks good. I have said everything I want to say, and I'll be back after the first update.

i'll be waiting but i'm afraid you'll still be disappointed. the style stays.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:19 pm

gimil wrote:Change rock golems to Centaur, and give them a forest to live in.

nope forest is for the elves next door.
Major DiM

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:19 pm

DiM wrote:

"Sentient Creatures

* Black Orc
* Centaur
* Drow
* Dryads
* Dwarves
* Fairies
* Gnomes
* Goblins
* High Elves
* Hobgoblins
* Merfolk
* Nymph
* Orcs
* Ratmen
* Satyr/Faun
* Troglodytes
* Wood Elves
(click for info)

Ice Elementals

Ice Elementals are swift and powerful creatures, they appear as humanoids made of solid ice. They attack with a chill attack that drains the life out of the target. They also can attack with spears of ice that it can fire at its target. Ice elementals are weak against fire attacks as they melt away into a pool of water.

Got it from the website above ^^^

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:21 pm

gimil wrote:
Kaplowitz wrote:
gimil wrote:1.Elfs I think elegent grassland again, more saturated than human.

Wood elf . . .

Im thinking high elfs :P

and i am thinking dark elves. you know, the evil brothers of the normal orlando bloom type elves.
Major DiM

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas