Age of Realms: Mayhem [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby cairnswk on Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:59 pm

DiM wrote:
Kaplowitz wrote:DiM, im disappointed. The graphics look ugly, and hurt my eyes. Its hard to tell whats going one. I dont like the textures and colors.

I like the idea though! Im sure it will look great when its done! :P

(and i was hoping for AoR:Modern....)


no modern.

as for the colours, what hard to tell? they are pretty distinct.


told you it was too chaotic!!
User avatar
Corporal cairnswk
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Postby wcaclimbing on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:00 pm

This new version is kinda depressing, I'm sure many people want this to be more similar than the first 2. Throw out the extra water territories, make the colors more gentle, Bring this all together so it feels like one map instead of a bunch of different ones. The first 2 were very popular maps, this new one throws in so much new stuff that it is more like a whole new map than a sequel.


Take the Lord of the Rings Trilogy for example. This is like having the first two movies as they are now, everyone likes them, but then for the third movie they replace all of the main characters and get a new plot, completely removing the feel that the first two had.
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing
 
Posts: 5598
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 10:09 pm
Location: In your quantum box....Maybe.
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (2)

Postby wcaclimbing on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:02 pm

DiM wrote:imagine a pastel looking calm and peaceful land. does that make you wage war and clash your armies against the enemy? now look at the map i presented. don't the textures and colours give you an agitated feeling don't they make your heart pump faster?


I think a more pastel landscape would look much better.

And for the "agitated feeling", yes, i have that, but it is because i hate how it looks. Its not making me want to wage war, its making me want to avoid this map like the plague.
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing
 
Posts: 5598
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 10:09 pm
Location: In your quantum box....Maybe.
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (2)

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:03 pm

Dont get me wrong DiM, i love the way the map looks. I just think it could be toned done a bit.
also, Maybe compare your creatures with other fantasy type games/books/movies. ice golem/rock golem dont seem to creative imo. Maybe keep one and change one to something else.


This took a minute of research, and i already found a bunch of potential creatures!

http://www.mythcreatures.co.uk/beasts/sent.asp

"Sentient Creatures
Sentient creatures are intelligent aware creatures such as Elves, Orcs and Gnomes."

* Black Orc
* Centaur
* Drow
* Dryads
* Dwarves
* Fairies
* Gnomes
* Goblins
* High Elves
* Hobgoblins
* Merfolk
* Nymph
* Orcs
* Ratmen
* Satyr/Faun
* Troglodytes
* Wood Elves
(click for info)

I look forward to seeing the next update, honestly.
btw: i like the sanctuary ones, they sound dangerous! :twisted:
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz
 
Posts: 3088
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: Doin' it for da lulz.
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:03 pm

cairnswk wrote:
DiM wrote:
Kaplowitz wrote:DiM, im disappointed. The graphics look ugly, and hurt my eyes. Its hard to tell whats going one. I dont like the textures and colors.

I like the idea though! Im sure it will look great when its done! :P

(and i was hoping for AoR:Modern....)


no modern.

as for the colours, what hard to tell? they are pretty distinct.


told you it was too chaotic!!


chaotic is good.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Image
User avatar
Major DiM
 
Posts: 10390
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:20 pm
Location: making maps for scooby snacks
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby wcaclimbing on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:06 pm

DiM wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
DiM wrote:
Kaplowitz wrote:DiM, im disappointed. The graphics look ugly, and hurt my eyes. Its hard to tell whats going one. I dont like the textures and colors.

I like the idea though! Im sure it will look great when its done! :P

(and i was hoping for AoR:Modern....)


no modern.

as for the colours, what hard to tell? they are pretty distinct.


told you it was too chaotic!!


chaotic is good.

Cookies are good, also, but too many make you sick. Same thing with chaos. A bit can be good, but overdo it and you get a headache.
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing
 
Posts: 5598
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 10:09 pm
Location: In your quantum box....Maybe.
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (2)

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:07 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:
DiM wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
DiM wrote:
Kaplowitz wrote:DiM, im disappointed. The graphics look ugly, and hurt my eyes. Its hard to tell whats going one. I dont like the textures and colors.

I like the idea though! Im sure it will look great when its done! :P

(and i was hoping for AoR:Modern....)


no modern.

as for the colours, what hard to tell? they are pretty distinct.


told you it was too chaotic!!


chaotic is good.

Cookies are good, also, but too many make you sick. Same thing with chaos. A bit can be good, but overdo it and you get a headache.


Im pretty sure i can prove you wrong with that :twisted:
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz
 
Posts: 3088
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: Doin' it for da lulz.
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:07 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:This new version is kinda depressing, I'm sure many people want this to be more similar than the first 2. Throw out the extra water territories, make the colors more gentle, Bring this all together so it feels like one map instead of a bunch of different ones. The first 2 were very popular maps, this new one throws in so much new stuff that it is more like a whole new map than a sequel.


Take the Lord of the Rings Trilogy for example. This is like having the first two movies as they are now, everyone likes them, but then for the third movie they replace all of the main characters and get a new plot, completely removing the feel that the first two had.


well except for the graphic style and a few extra terits the map layout is unchanged. as for the many new things i don't think they are as many as you think. we have the castle bonus the resources (runes) bonus, the village bonus we still have decay (like in magic)
and basically the only new things as far as gameplay goes are the continent bonuses and the blood water terits. nothing else.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Image
User avatar
Major DiM
 
Posts: 10390
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:20 pm
Location: making maps for scooby snacks
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:08 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:
DiM wrote:imagine a pastel looking calm and peaceful land. does that make you wage war and clash your armies against the enemy? now look at the map i presented. don't the textures and colours give you an agitated feeling don't they make your heart pump faster?


I think a more pastel landscape would look much better.

And for the "agitated feeling", yes, i have that, but it is because i hate how it looks. Its not making me want to wage war, its making me want to avoid this map like the plague.


well i don't think it would look better. it wouldn't be representative for what i want to create. washed up colours don't suit my needs for this map.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Image
User avatar
Major DiM
 
Posts: 10390
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:20 pm
Location: making maps for scooby snacks
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby gimil on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:09 pm

DiM wrote:
gimil wrote:Sorry but for the most part im disapointed with this so far.

To much neow glowing going on. Has a much to futurisitic feel to it.

Im happy with the humans and ice golems feel but everything else is just bleh. Sorry DiM, but i think some more though is going to have to go into some of the landscape.

PM me when your ready to talk :P


what neon man? i see no neon.

you say it's futuristic and kaplowitz says he's disappointed it's not 1futuristic.

as for the more thought, trust me i gave it a lot of thought and this is the way i want to go. true some may like it some may not. i can live with that. middle east revamp is hated for the lack of colour and at the same time it is loved for the same reason.

i think this is the exact same case here. i'm not a pastel guy. i'm more of an "in your face" colours type


i still think it should have a medieval fell to it in the end. Im kind of grown on the orc territory now but thats as far as ill go.

Alot of the borders give me the impression of having a neo glow.

For this map:
    1.Elfs I think elegent grassland again, more saturated than human.
    2.Rock Golems i think mountains rather than some quick and easy rock surface tutorial that can be found on the net.
    3.Dwarfs i think mining, which i dont et with the orange/green thing going on


I could go on but i thik you get the idea.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby wcaclimbing on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:10 pm

Good luck trying to convince everyone that this actually looks good. I have said everything I want to say, and I'll be back after the first update.
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing
 
Posts: 5598
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 10:09 pm
Location: In your quantum box....Maybe.
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (2)

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:10 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:Dont get me wrong DiM, i love the way the map looks. I just think it could be toned done a bit.
also, Maybe compare your creatures with other fantasy type games/books/movies. ice golem/rock golem dont seem to creative imo. Maybe keep one and change one to something else.


This took a minute of research, and i already found a bunch of potential creatures!

http://www.mythcreatures.co.uk/beasts/sent.asp

"Sentient Creatures
Sentient creatures are intelligent aware creatures such as Elves, Orcs and Gnomes."

* Black Orc
* Centaur
* Drow
* Dryads
* Dwarves
* Fairies
* Gnomes
* Goblins
* High Elves
* Hobgoblins
* Merfolk
* Nymph
* Orcs
* Ratmen
* Satyr/Faun
* Troglodytes
* Wood Elves
(click for info)

I look forward to seeing the next update, honestly.
btw: i like the sanctuary ones, they sound dangerous! :twisted:

i was really stomped when it came to the ice creatures. that's why i used ice golems :P
i can change them with ease if somebody tells me what i can put there. those listed above don't fit with the ice landscape.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Image
User avatar
Major DiM
 
Posts: 10390
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:20 pm
Location: making maps for scooby snacks
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby gimil on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:14 pm

DiM wrote:
Kaplowitz wrote:Dont get me wrong DiM, i love the way the map looks. I just think it could be toned done a bit.
also, Maybe compare your creatures with other fantasy type games/books/movies. ice golem/rock golem dont seem to creative imo. Maybe keep one and change one to something else.


This took a minute of research, and i already found a bunch of potential creatures!

http://www.mythcreatures.co.uk/beasts/sent.asp

"Sentient Creatures
Sentient creatures are intelligent aware creatures such as Elves, Orcs and Gnomes."

* Black Orc
* Centaur
* Drow
* Dryads
* Dwarves
* Fairies
* Gnomes
* Goblins
* High Elves
* Hobgoblins
* Merfolk
* Nymph
* Orcs
* Ratmen
* Satyr/Faun
* Troglodytes
* Wood Elves
(click for info)

I look forward to seeing the next update, honestly.
btw: i like the sanctuary ones, they sound dangerous! :twisted:

i was really stomped when it came to the ice creatures. that's why i used ice golems :P
i can change them with ease if somebody tells me what i can put there. those listed above don't fit with the ice landscape.


Change rock golems to Centaur, and give them a forest to live in.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:15 pm

gimil wrote:
DiM wrote:
gimil wrote:Sorry but for the most part im disapointed with this so far.

To much neow glowing going on. Has a much to futurisitic feel to it.

Im happy with the humans and ice golems feel but everything else is just bleh. Sorry DiM, but i think some more though is going to have to go into some of the landscape.

PM me when your ready to talk :P


what neon man? i see no neon.

you say it's futuristic and kaplowitz says he's disappointed it's not 1futuristic.

as for the more thought, trust me i gave it a lot of thought and this is the way i want to go. true some may like it some may not. i can live with that. middle east revamp is hated for the lack of colour and at the same time it is loved for the same reason.

i think this is the exact same case here. i'm not a pastel guy. i'm more of an "in your face" colours type


i still think it should have a medieval fell to it in the end. Im kind of grown on the orc territory now but thats as far as ill go.

Alot of the borders give me the impression of having a neo glow.

For this map:
    1.Elfs I think elegent grassland again, more saturated than human.
    2.Rock Golems i think mountains rather than some quick and easy rock surface tutorial that can be found on the net.
    3.Dwarfs i think mining, which i dont et with the orange/green thing going on

I could go on but i thik you get the idea.


1- when i think of elves, i think of thick forests.
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz
 
Posts: 3088
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: Doin' it for da lulz.
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Postby gimil on Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:16 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:
gimil wrote:
DiM wrote:
gimil wrote:Sorry but for the most part im disapointed with this so far.

To much neow glowing going on. Has a much to futurisitic feel to it.

Im happy with the humans and ice golems feel but everything else is just bleh. Sorry DiM, but i think some more though is going to have to go into some of the landscape.

PM me when your ready to talk :P


what neon man? i see no neon.

you say it's futuristic and kaplowitz says he's disappointed it's not 1futuristic.

as for the more thought, trust me i gave it a lot of thought and this is the way i want to go. true some may like it some may not. i can live with that. middle east revamp is hated for the lack of colour and at the same time it is loved for the same reason.

i think this is the exact same case here. i'm not a pastel guy. i'm more of an "in your face" colours type


i still think it should have a medieval fell to it in the end. Im kind of grown on the orc territory now but thats as far as ill go.

Alot of the borders give me the impression of having a neo glow.

For this map:
    1.Elfs I think elegent grassland again, more saturated than human.
    2.Rock Golems i think mountains rather than some quick and easy rock surface tutorial that can be found on the net.
    3.Dwarfs i think mining, which i dont et with the orange/green thing going on

I could go on but i thik you get the idea.


1- when i think of elves, i think of thick forests.


Wood elf . . .

Im thinking high elfs :P
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Login