Conquer Club

Oasis [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby bryguy on Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:18 am

Ditocoaf wrote:Considering that there's an XML script specifically for such a victory condition, I doubt that it could be considered plagiarizing. Although, if it is possible, when will the bidding start for ownership of the other functions?

it is possible, ever played AoM?? (not might, magic)

and i bid $1!!!
Corporal bryguy

Postby DiM on Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:41 am

plagiarizing :lol:

everybody is free to use whatever functions he wants. that's the whole point of the xml. when i make requests for xml functions to be introduced i don't make them for personal use. everybody can toy with them and come up with great maps. there's no copyright involved.
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Gustaf Wasa on Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:55 am

Hello! I like the idea. But perhaps Oasis of Forgiveness could instead be named Oasis of Mercy?
General Gustaf Wasa

Postby wcaclimbing on Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:08 pm

Gustaf Wasa wrote:Hello! I like the idea. But perhaps Oasis of Forgiveness could instead be named Oasis of Mercy?

wow.
does ANYONE actually read what I write?

wcaclimbing, in the very first post in this thread, wrote:Original image.

about the image:
-this is just an example image, it is not going to be the final one. The final will probably have a lot more countries (and it will look quite a bit better). its just to show what I had in mind. I can pack double the amount of countries in, or i could cut it all in half. it just depends on what works best. The black area up top will be where the map key/explanation is.

See the:
"this is just an example image, it is not going to be the final one."
written directly under the image?
Those names aren't the actual names. That image is an EXAMPLE.

wow...
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby edbeard on Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:15 pm

I'd encourage you to try out a few new fonts for the legend text. The title is fine, but the other areas are a bit difficult to read. When you go down to the small map, they will be that much harder to decipher. Something to consider at least.

Also, I have a question. What's with the 'concept map' in the title. Does this just mean it's not a standard map? I don't really see the need for it as half the maps out there could potentially put 'concept map' in the title.

I find it funny people talking about copying with this map when other people have had much more blatant copying and nobody mentioned it.

looking good wc, I think you'll be in the main foundry soon.

one other suggestion: sometimes it's better just to mention things kindly as often you'll be devoid of any comments whatsoever so you don't want to alienate anyone who might comment in the future.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby wcaclimbing on Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:35 pm

edbeard wrote:I'd encourage you to try out a few new fonts for the legend text. The title is fine, but the other areas are a bit difficult to read. When you go down to the small map, they will be that much harder to decipher. Something to consider at least.

Also, I have a question. What's with the 'concept map' in the title. Does this just mean it's not a standard map? I don't really see the need for it as half the maps out there could potentially put 'concept map' in the title.

I find it funny people talking about copying with this map when other people have had much more blatant copying and nobody mentioned it.

looking good wc, I think you'll be in the main foundry soon.

one other suggestion: sometimes it's better just to mention things kindly as often you'll be devoid of any comments whatsoever so you don't want to alienate anyone who might comment in the future.

I'll be looking into using a better font after the desert is finished.
I'll remove that. That was more for in the beginning of the thread when I wanted to see if the idea of the map would work out.
Yeah, I agree. I'll try to lighten up on some of the responses. Its just kinda annoying when someone says something that is written right there, like they didn't even read the page.

Postby edbeard on Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:42 pm

it's going to happen quite a bit so basically it's best to work on prevention. Sometimes making things like that bold or repeating the line a few times can help.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby DiM on Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:10 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:Its just kinda annoying when someone says something that is written right there, like they didn't even read the page.

this is nothing. wait till you hit final forge and somebody comes and asks what's the map about.

or when a guy comes after the map is quenched and says the font is bad even if you had 20 pages of debates tried over 30 fonts and had a poll on this matter where the majority decided. :lol:
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby wcaclimbing on Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:12 pm

DiM wrote:
wcaclimbing wrote:Its just kinda annoying when someone says something that is written right there, like they didn't even read the page.

this is nothing. wait till you hit final forge and somebody comes and asks what's the map about.

or when a guy comes after the map is quenched and says the font is bad even if you had 20 pages of debates tried over 30 fonts and had a poll on this matter where the majority decided. :lol:
:lol:
I guess I have it easy right now :roll:

Postby Hotdoggie on Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:13 pm

whitestazn88 wrote:lol, sorry to stray off topic, but if we can get trademarks and copyrights, i'd like to own the one for attacking 7v2 and ending up 2v2.

on a more serious note, it's most def not plagiarizing, because its a new and improved(questionable) way of playing risk!

Off topic once more...thats definately trademarked by you considering its not possible for 7v2 to finish 2v2.

On topic...Map looks great but tbh I actually prefer the idea of a huge bonus for holding those 3 areas.
PERSONAL BEST...
Score: 2802
Place: 120
Date: 16 / 2 / 2009
Lieutenant Hotdoggie

Postby laci_mae on Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:42 am

Gustaf Wasa wrote:Hello! I like the idea. But perhaps Oasis of Forgiveness could instead be named Oasis of Mercy?

Hi WC. This map is really shaping up nicely. I think Oasis of Mercy would be a cool name, plus Mercy is way shorter than Forgiveness. I'm adding this comment with the assurance that I have read the thread, and I do know that it was an example map.

Another suggestion I have is that you include some questions with the next update. The "What I've Done" and To-Do lists are helpful. If you could post some points for discussion also, your feedback might be a little more productive. For example, are you ready to start naming territories? Are you satisfied with the bonus structure? There's lots of us out here who'd like to help in a way that actually helps.

Happy Mapping,
Laci
Corporal 1st Class laci_mae

Postby wcaclimbing on Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:03 am

well, I've got some free time today, so I will probably have the image updated by tonight.

I will include some of those things (questions) that you suggested.

Postby vampir2124 on Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:23 pm

i like the concept. =)
Highest Score: Lieutenant - 1727 : 03/05/08

My First Tourney : now started. :) viewtopic.php?t=45863
Cook vampir2124

Postby wcaclimbing on Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:06 pm

ok guys.
I didn't get as much work done on this today as I would have liked, but I did a few things:

What I changed:
---I re-drew EVERY border on the entire map, and it looks much better now.
---The layer with the borders is now Overlay + layer opacity 50% (for all of you photoshop geeks). All of the borders are a bit lighter now.
---The new borders are much cleaner. see the first post and compare the two most recent images if you don't believe me.
---I changed the green color for the oases. I think it looks better now.

What I still have to do:
---Add details to each Oasis
---Give everything names
---Find a better font for the map key
---Whatever else you guys suggest
---Stuff that I forgot to write here, but still have to do

Discussion questions:
---Are the new borders good or bad? How could they improve?
---Do you like the +3 bonus for each oasis? Do you have a better idea?
---Army circles. Yes or no?

-------NOTE--------
While re-drawing the borders, a few of the borders changed, and a few extra territories were created in the process. its not a big deal, it just means more space to fight your opponents with. (if you want to see a big example of changing borders, compare the top area of the desert, just left of center on both images in the first post. Quite a few new areas were created.) This is mostly because of how I went about redrawing them. I would erase a big section, then re-draw them as best I could. So a few things changed, but overall I think it is an improvement.
-----------------------

Postby wcaclimbing on Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:26 pm

ok, just counted, and the territory count is up to 147.
previous image had 136, so I guess an extra 11 just showed up while I re-drew it. :roll: The mystery of mapmaking :roll:

There are still 20 small oases, 38 fertile areas, and 3 areas of the Grand Oasis. The only thing that changed is the number of territories in the desert (which is now 86 [not including the oases])

Postby edbeard on Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:34 pm

with the way you drew the desert now, it's going to be tough to look at the map for an extended period of time. Not a good feature for the map. This way might be more real and the other way before might've been more plain but it was better. Too bright I guess.

How are you going to name all these territories? We're at the point where we need to see this on the map.

You asked about army circles. Well, we need to see what the map looks like with army counts all over with no circles.

Edit: reposting image for the new page.

Lieutenant edbeard

Postby lanyards on Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:35 pm

How are all the territories going to be named?

--lanyards
WANT AN ADVANTAGE WHILE WORKING TOWARDS MEDALS?
https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=529&t=226714
Major lanyards

Postby wcaclimbing on Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:04 pm

lanyards wrote:How are all the territories going to be named?

--lanyards

Grand Oasis 1, 2, and 3
small oases = "oasis of ______" (I need suggestions for these. cause I need 20 names)

Everywhere else will be names that would make sense for the area. such as "farmhouse", "northland", 'battleground", "graveyard", "dunes", etc.

and then more generic names (similar to those on the AoR maps) for the places I can't think of names for.

Do you think that will work?

Postby whitestazn88 on Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:13 pm

i don't like the borders at all i just realized...

it doesn't seem so desert-y, but its more like... a cracked dry arid area of land.

if you could somehow just remove the borders so that everything was smooth, it would look amazing. either that or make the desert areas look more flowy with dunes and stuff
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby wcaclimbing on Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:15 pm

whitestazn88 wrote:i don't like the borders at all i just realized...

it doesn't seem so desert-y, but its more like... a cracked dry arid area of land.

if you could somehow just remove the borders so that everything was smooth, it would look amazing. either that or make the desert areas look more flowy with dunes and stuff

If I removed the borders, how would anyone know what connects to what?

I might be able to change the desert texture, though. It could at least be a bit more wavy or something. I'll see what I can do.

Postby wcaclimbing on Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:18 pm

edbeard wrote:with the way you drew the desert now, it's going to be tough to look at the map for an extended period of time. Not a good feature for the map. This way might be more real and the other way before might've been more plain but it was better. Too bright I guess.

Are you talking about the borders, color, texture, or layout of the desert? Which part is bothering you?

what way is "this way" in your post and what way is "the other way before"?

Postby edbeard on Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:11 am

whatever the difference is between your latest version (at the top of this page) and the previous one

maybe it was the just the colour of the borders which calmed everything before.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby sfhbballnut on Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:21 am

personaly I like the new softer borders, goes well with the look, and as far as naming, numbers are the only way to go in the desert, divide it into sections, north desert, south desert, plains of despair, whatever then number the territories off. that may require contrast in different sections. The overall image looks great, but you will probably have to sacrifice a bit of how good it looks to make it playable, obviously names and armies are gonna take away from the image (no i'm not saying o make it look bad, just that its not going to looks as good once its got all the playingstuff on it.) As to someones point about looking at it for exteneded periods of time, wait til names and armies get up, that'll break things up well enough

*edit* it also might be a good idea to drop a few of the exterior oasises so that there's more desert between the edges and the oasises
Last edited by sfhbballnut on Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby InkL0sed on Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:22 am

I think no army circles are probably the way to go.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby MrBenn on Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:45 am

I like the little paths to/from the villages... It's a nice touch.
Lieutenant MrBenn

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas