Oasis [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby sfhbballnut on Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:28 pm

the whole fixed starting position thing is getting old, the Age of Realms Trilogy, Feudal Wars etc, this is a fresh idea that I'd prefer not to see fall to conformity

*edit* no offense to those maps they're great I play them a lot*
Corporal sfhbballnut

Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby gimil on Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:15 am

sfhbballnut wrote:the whole fixed starting position thing is getting old, the Age of Realms Trilogy, Feudal Wars etc, this is a fresh idea that I'd prefer not to see fall to conformity

*edit* no offense to those maps they're great I play them a lot*

These ideas are jsut a new phase on map making which are popular with the players, eventually thou something new will come along once the conquest idea era is over.

Just a thought wcaclimbing but to get a good conquest map you must put much more thought that a clasic map into it :) balancing the game play or each starting point should be your main objective after you have your layout.

As for the idea, I love it :) THe desert decay idea is excellent and different. To me its a mix of dustbowl and feudal :)
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby a-person1192 on Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:31 am

maybe a little blue for water near the Oasis would be good visually and could act as an impassable
If I was lying wouldn't my pants be on fire?
Cook a-person1192

Postby edbeard on Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:35 am

Maybe this is me over thinking but 24 or 25 territories to start seems like a good number. And, this is quite possible with the current setup you have. I believe there are 19 fertile territories at the moment.

25 allows 3 starting places for 7,8 players, 4 for 6 players, 5 for 5 players etc..

It's good to see an objective map going. My current map is objective oriented and my next one will be objective only winning.
Major edbeard

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Postby snapdoodle on Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:59 am

More fantasy.

(if you want I have no idea but i think an ali baba and the forty thieves map would be awesome, not sure if that's what you're going for?)

Cause then you could add like magic carpets and djinns and a flaming scareb of death.

But great start overall.
Captain snapdoodle

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1)

Postby bryguy on Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:24 am

i like the ali baba and the forty thieves thing that snap suggested 8)

and also, doesnt an oasis need water????
Corporal bryguy

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Erdem559 on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:12 am

I think the Decay should double or triple
Corporal 1st Class Erdem559

Medals: 1
Standard Achievement (1)

Postby InkL0sed on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:41 am

bryguy wrote:i like the ali baba and the forty thieves thing that snap suggested 8)

and also, doesnt an oasis need water????

They get fed by underground rivers.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Postby benny profane on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:59 am

i'm not into the fixed starting points.
doesn't seem to have anything to do with the idea...
in AoM it makes sense, but on this map it would feel like a gimmick.
Lieutenant benny profane

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1)

Postby wcaclimbing on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:50 am

whitestazn88 wrote:its a pretty sweet idea, but i think that maybe there should be more neutrals as you get closer to the center, because yeah, its just sand, but it gets harder and harder to walk in it as you get more dehydrated etc.

That is an amazing idea.

edbeard wrote:Maybe this is me over thinking but 24 or 25 territories to start seems like a good number. And, this is quite possible with the current setup you have. I believe there are 19 fertile territories at the moment.

from what my new version is looking like at the moment, i'm thinking it will be just about 30 countries in the fertile land.

players.......starting terrs.

that seems to be pretty good. its similar to 25, just a few extras added in for some numbers.

edit: so... after working on the image some more, I don't think there will be 25 countries in Fertile, or even 30. it will probably be closer to 35 or 40. not that big of a deal, but its still quite a bit more than 25.
snapdoodle wrote:(if you want I have no idea but i think an ali baba and the forty thieves map would be awesome, not sure if that's what you're going for?)

Cause then you could add like magic carpets and djinns and a flaming scareb of death.

no.

Erdem559 wrote:I think the Decay should double or triple

how would that work? change it from 1 to 3? have it increase each round (which isnt possible).
If the decay was set at 3 for the desert territories, you wouldn't be able to go anywhere cause all of your armies would be eaten by the decay every turn. anything you deploy would be gone next turn.

everyone wrote:oases need water

yes. I know oases can have water. some of them will have water.

--- I might be posting a sneak-peak of the next update whenever I get around to it. its looking pretty cool.
Last edited by wcaclimbing on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (2)

Postby sfhbballnut on Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:56 pm

benny profane wrote:i'm not into the fixed starting points.
doesn't seem to have anything to do with the idea...
in AoM it makes sense, but on this map it would feel like a gimmick.
Corporal sfhbballnut

Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby skanska on Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:23 pm

i like it... but more territories :)
Private skanska

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby TaCktiX on Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:34 pm

I love the idea for the map, I would certainly want to play on it. I agree with your own later idea to increase the number of fertile territories, allowing for an opponent to build up a base of operations before charging forward. Because of the decay, not allowing people to have a decent starting amount of territory just wouldn't be fair and would leave too much up to luck.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (6)

Postby wcaclimbing on Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:24 pm

Like I promised, here is a small example of the graphics of my next update.

notes:
---that is taken from what will become the large version. small will be shrunk a bit.
---The Fertile land will have a bunch of houses and villages and manmade stuff, along with some water and plants and nature effects. the desert will be mostly empty. The Oases will be about the same as the fertile land, except there won't be any manmade structures. just nature.
---thats the bottom right corner of the map.
---I haven't drawn in most of the borders yet.
---that image isn't finished. i need to do some touchups in a few places (fix the yellow roofs, make the rocks more visible, etc.)

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (2)

Postby gimil on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:47 pm

wow, Ill be sure to keep a close eye on this, realistic landscaped are my favourite :)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby whitestazn88 on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:58 pm

thanks for the image update, looks sweet.

but what about the gameplay?
Sergeant 1st Class whitestazn88

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (1)

Postby gimil on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:07 pm

whitestazn88 wrote:thanks for the image update, looks sweet.

He mentioned it was jsut a graphical sample and that me was still worknig on the complete image . . .

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby wcaclimbing on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:18 pm

whitestazn88 wrote:thanks for the image update, looks sweet.

gameplays all in the desert. The Fertile land doesn't matter very much, its just the starting place for your race to the Grand Oasis.

I'm getting all of the fertile land out of the way now, because its pretty easy and not that big of a deal where the countries go. If any of the borders do need to be changed, it will be very easy to do. I can just re-draw them wherever (which is why there aren't any names on the map yet. Names will be added once the terrain is finished, because I won't know where to put them until the villages and plants and water are all painted in.)

Oh, and about the number of countries:
I finished drawing in the borders for the fertile area on the right side of the map. It is about equal in size to the fertile area on the image in my first post, but instead of the 10 countries there in the first draft, there are now 21.

The countries will be packed much tighter, but it will still work well and look good (see my preview on page 3. the size of the countries in that image is about the same as the rest of the map.) The benefit of small countries is that once I begin developing the desert, i will be able to put a ton of countries in there and really make it the scale I am imagining it to be. It wouldn't suprise me if there ends up being around 80 countries within the desert. Deserts are big and mostly empty. that is the feel I am going for. Lots of space to travel and move around, and lots of oases to help build up your bonuses.

General Contribution (2)

Postby InkL0sed on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:32 pm

That sounds great, it feels like you're reading my mind :D
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Postby militant on Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:38 am

The graphics are looking great, but i dont know if it is a good idea to have som many territories because there has been a lot of demand for small maps, and i know it is our map and you have a vision of what it should be like, but i think you should consider none of the less. But the graphica are looking awesome.
Guys I am intentionally lurking. Discuss; Play mafia, it is good.
Oderint Dum Metuant says: Don't confuse the easily confused!
Sergeant 1st Class militant

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (2)

Postby gimil on Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:21 pm

militant wrote:The graphics are looking great, but i dont know if it is a good idea to have som many territories because there has been a lot of demand for small maps, and i know it is our map and you have a vision of what it should be like, but i think you should consider none of the less. But the graphica are looking awesome.

Just because there is a demand for small maps doesnt mean the foundry have to provide . . .

Cartographers have maps for there enjoyment and to create something they want to paly on. If lack wants to plug the demand for certain types of maps he can gladly higher someone to do it :)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby wcaclimbing on Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:58 pm

ok guys, heres a bit more of the image.
Its my new signature banner.
The area in the picture is the entire right fertile land (but it is rotated 90 degrees so it can fit).

I will be adding a few more details in, but thats basically it.
If you turn your head to the side and try to ignore the huge Title i put on the picture, you can see what it will look like.
There still aren't any borders drawn in the desert yet, and one country (top left of the image) got completely cut off because i couldn't fit it all into the sig.

If you are wondering what the big dirty brown-ish circle in the middle is, just think of it as some kind of animal pen, with sheep or cows or something inside it.

General Contribution (2)

Postby InkL0sed on Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:53 pm

Looks great. I thought that brown circle was an army circle...
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby wcaclimbing on Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:58 pm

NEW IMAGE!
I labeled it V1.5 cause its not finished yet. V2 will be up in a few days.

Excuse all the extra writing I painted on. I didn't want any "why is ____ not colored?". Its not finished, except for the parts that the blue is pointing at. All of the right fertile land and the Key.

Please comment. I really have no idea if this is a good or bad map key....
and comment on the rest of the finished stuff, if you want to.

General Contribution (2)

Postby Incandenza on Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:20 pm

Nice looking map, wca. It's got that troy feel to it (and since troy is one of the maps I most wish has actually been quenched, that's a good thing).

I do have one issue at present: the font used in the title bar is weird, the 'h's are really oddly shaped and kinda look like 'a's. If you could look for an alternative or two, that would be awesome.

I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the map and the country breakdown.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (8)
General Contribution (4)

Next

Return to The Atlas