Oasis [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby InkL0sed on Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:05 pm

Are you still working on this?
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Postby wcaclimbing on Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:26 pm

InkL0sed wrote:Are you still working on this?

yep, just going a bit slow.
I don't have much time to do this on weekdays because of school, and I have been gone all morning today.

Its not really the drawing part thats taking a long time, its getting the oases and borders correct for the desert. Everything needs to be fair so you can have an equal chance at reaching the grand oasis, and thats whats taking time.

I'll be working on it again later tonight. There will probably be an update by tomorrow night.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (2)

Postby InkL0sed on Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:06 pm

Great, I was starting to get a little worried by the inactivity.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Postby wcaclimbing on Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:10 pm

V2.0!

Stuff done:
made borders
made oases

Stuff to do:
clean up borders
add details to each oasis
add names
move a few borders
fix green colors on oases

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (2)

Postby wcaclimbing on Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:11 pm

Notes:

98 territories in the desert.
17 on the left fertile area.
21 on the right fertile area.
136 territories total.

20 small oases.
the closer paths to the Grand Oasis will have more neutrals blocking the way, so it doesn't depend so much on starting position.

These are subject to change:
The desert will be mostly 1s and 2s, with some 3s and 4s scattered around the center oasis.
Each part of the grand oasis will have 7 (or 8 ) armies on it.
Each small oasis will have a 4 on it.

General Contribution (2)

Postby gimil on Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:19 pm

fantastic!

I would like to see the borders alot less intrusive so that the landscape really sticks out.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby sfhbballnut on Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:18 am

great work, seems like you've got a pretty good handle on what needs to be done
Corporal sfhbballnut

Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby Sir. Ricco on Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:03 pm

Keep up the good work man. One question, where will everybody spawn?
Captain Sir. Ricco

Medals: 53
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (31)

Postby bryguy on Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:05 pm

i know i know!! at the.... oh shoot i forgot, oh well

looks great man!
Corporal bryguy

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby gimil on Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:51 pm

Sir. Ricco wrote:Keep up the good work man. One question, where will everybody spawn?

I believe that everyone spawns at the fertile land.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby wcaclimbing on Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:36 pm

gimil wrote:fantastic!

I would like to see the borders alot less intrusive so that the landscape really sticks out.

I can do that.

Sir. Ricco wrote:Keep up the good work man. One question, where will everybody spawn?

Everyone will start randomly on the large green areas (fertile land) on each side of the map.
The desert and all of the oases will start neutral.
You have to cross through the neutrals to take the Grand Oasis and win.

General Contribution (2)

Postby gimil on Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:19 pm

Ive took a personal intrest in this map now :)

wc would you be so kind as to share you PSD file with me? For a purly educational point of view on my part :)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby DiM on Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:38 pm

i agree with gimil about te borders. make them blend and let the beautiful graphics do the talking.

btw, are you using a graphic tablet with a pen, or just a simple mouse?
it seems like a pen to me
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby bryguy on Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:38 pm

gimil wrote:Ive took a personal intrest in this map now :)

wc would you be so kind as to share you PSD file with me? For a purly educational point of view on my part :)

same here!!! :D
Corporal bryguy

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)

Postby wcaclimbing on Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:18 pm

I wrote:I can probably send it to a few people once its done. I don't want to put it out there for the entire world to have, but i could send it to a few people. (or, i could make a tutorial, explaining everything that is done. it would be just as easy. i could share that tutorial with everyone.)

Actually, I would prefer to make the tutorial.
The PSD file is pretty much a mess (about 15 layers, everything is split up a lot), you probably wouldn't learn very much from it without a bunch of "what does ____ layer do?"
I was planning on making a tutorial for it anyway, and it would be able to explain everything really clearly.
Last edited by wcaclimbing on Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

General Contribution (2)

Postby DiM on Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:28 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:
DiM wrote:btw, are you using a graphic tablet with a pen, or just a simple mouse?

Im using wacom tablet (one of the small versions). It helps a lot.
makes it pretty easy to draw in all the details and borders.

it shows. looks great.

about the borders. not sure if it will work but how about not drawing them at all? instead just make them embossed in the ground??

i wanted to do that on AoR but it doesn't work well with heavy textures. but you have light nice ones so it might fit well
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby whitestazn88 on Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:49 pm

looking good buddy. keep up the great work, and i think that the desert isnt like bright enough, but its just an opinion
Sergeant 1st Class whitestazn88

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (1)

Postby pepperonibread on Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:56 pm

DiM wrote:
wcaclimbing wrote:
DiM wrote:btw, are you using a graphic tablet with a pen, or just a simple mouse?

it shows. looks great.

about the borders. not sure if it will work but how about not drawing them at all? instead just make them embossed in the ground??

i wanted to do that on AoR but it doesn't work well with heavy textures. but you have light nice ones so it might fit well

Chiseled bevel & emboss with 0% fill opacity?!?
I'm such a nerd :lol:
Corporal 1st Class pepperonibread

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) Map Contribution (3)

Postby gimil on Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:04 pm

pepperonibread wrote:
DiM wrote:
wcaclimbing wrote:

it shows. looks great.

I would go with:

-white boarders
-Bevel & Emboss
-and set the layer mode to multiply.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby bryguy on Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:32 pm

gimil wrote:
pepperonibread wrote:
DiM wrote:
wcaclimbing wrote:

it shows. looks great.

I would go with:

-white boarders
-Bevel & Emboss
-and set the layer mode to multiply.

thats probably what i would do, but with gray boarders
Corporal bryguy

Postby pepperonibread on Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:43 pm

bryguy wrote:thats probably what i would do, but with gray boarders

With gray borders, you'd get a dark overlay kinda thing over the border... tho maybe that's what you want. The thing I like about the using the fill opacity is that it's easy to adjust how dark you want the borders.
Besides, I'm layer-mode-phobic.

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby InkL0sed on Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:44 pm

Wait... what's layer mode? Does that exist in Photoshop 7.0?

I want that tutorial!
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby bryguy on Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:45 pm

pepperonibread wrote:
bryguy wrote:thats probably what i would do, but with gray boarders

With gray borders, you'd get a dark overlay kinda thing over the border... tho maybe that's what you want. The thing I like about the using the fill opacity is that it's easy to adjust how dark you want the borders.
Besides, I'm layer-mode-phobic.

well actually if it were my Empire Builder map i would probably do white, but otherwise grey :)
Corporal bryguy

Postby pepperonibread on Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:55 pm

InkL0sed wrote:Wait... what's layer mode? Does that exist in Photoshop 7.0?

I want that tutorial!

I'm pretty sure it's on PS 7. I remember it being on 6.0.
These are layer modes:

Postby InkL0sed on Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:14 pm

pepperonibread wrote:
InkL0sed wrote:Wait... what's layer mode? Does that exist in Photoshop 7.0?

I want that tutorial!

I'm pretty sure it's on PS 7. I remember it being on 6.0.
These are layer modes:

Oh ok, gotcha.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas