[Official] Germany Revamp

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - Back on Track/New Update Pg. 1&8

Postby pepperonibread on Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:06 pm

iancanton wrote:amazingly, it appears that the long thin territories in norddeutschland are not too tight for the names to fit! nothing wrong with the bridges. good work on those and the colours too, although it does look odd that kiel and peninsular denmark are now an island. should we change the look of the canal between kiel and lübeck to make it much thinner and slightly different from the river, with a legend to say that rivers and the kiel canal are impassable (similar to the legend on the soviet union map)?

by the way, it's baden-württemberg, not baden-württemburg. can we also have mainz instead of pfalz, since every other mainland territory on the map is a city, whereas pfalz is a region?

ian. :)

Yeah, I was surprised that all those territories fit too. I pushed the eastern border of norddeutschland over a few pixels to help it, but nothing major.
All your suggestions sound good, this weekend is basically free for me so I'll be working on everything mentioned.
Corporal pepperonibread

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) Map Contribution (3)

Postby ZeakCytho on Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:20 pm

You might want to consider redoing your sig...it doesn't do the graphical quality of this map justice!
Captain ZeakCytho

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby pepperonibread on Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:25 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:You might want to consider redoing your sig...it doesn't do the graphical quality of this map justice!

Yeah :) My sig is based on my first version, which is in the first post. I'll see what I can do with it after working on this update.
Corporal pepperonibread

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby mibi on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:31 pm

my only issue is I though the continent names were part of the outlying map or something. I figured it out quickly, but its still seems off on an otherwise lovely revamp.
Captain mibi

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Postby gimil on Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:06 pm

Pep im assuming this is the large map your currently working on?
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby pepperonibread on Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:22 pm

gimil wrote:Pep im assuming this is the large map your currently working on?

Yep.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby MeDeFe on Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:21 am

There are mountains north of Münster? I'll have to go check, I always thought this place was almost as flat as the Netherlands.
saxitoxin wrote:Your position is more complex than the federal tax code. As soon as I think I understand it, I find another index of cross-references, exceptions and amendments I have to apply.
Timminz wrote:Yo mama is so classless, she could be a Marxist utopia.
Major MeDeFe

Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.
Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) General Achievement (3) General Contribution (7)

Postby pepperonibread on Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:39 pm

MeDeFe wrote:There are mountains north of Münster? I'll have to go check, I always thought this place was almost as flat as the Netherlands.

Definitely not the alps, but I think this is good enough knowing we need to keep the map's gameplay the same.

And an update should come sometime this weekend guys.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby pepperonibread on Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:36 pm

Alright guys, new update:

Changes:
-Most people didn't like the flag, so I replaced it with the german arms and motto.
-I kept the mini-map, but the continent names are now inside it instead of around the rest of the map. I think this is easier to understand, and a few people didn't like the previous arrangement anyway.
-The mountains are flattened a bit, to make them less pointy and at odd angles.
-On the right, I added a small legend showing the two kinds of impassables, rivers and mountains. A bit obvious, but someone suggested it and I think it fits the space nicely.
-Replaced the Pfalz territory with Mainz.
-I stretched the title slightly because there's more room now.
-The yellow army numbers have been replaced with all different colors, like cairns suggested.

To do:
-I'm still toying with the coat of arms, so comments on this would be good.
-Edbeard suggested making the continent colors' order match that of the german flag, similar to the mexico map (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=42232&st=0&sk=t&sd=a). I didn't get around to doing this, but expect something on it next update.
-Comments?
Last edited by pepperonibread on Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Corporal pepperonibread

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - New Update July 3 Pgs. 1&9

Postby edbeard on Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:00 pm

all the changes are good

The only thing I was looking forward to seeing was the continent colour change though
Major edbeard

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - New Update July 3 Pgs. 1&9 [Gp]

Postby lanyards on Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:12 pm

The motto is a little hard to read. I think I like it better with just the symbol without the motto overtop of it. The rest of the map is :shock: delicious.

--lanyards
Sergeant 1st Class lanyards

Medals: 104
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (16) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (2)

Postby pepperonibread on Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:39 pm

lanyards wrote:The motto is a little hard to read. I think I like it better with just the symbol without the motto overtop of it. The rest of the map is :shock: delicious.

--lanyards

Thanks lanyards :) I'll try and work with this.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby ZeakCytho on Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:52 pm

I think the whole crest needs work. It just doesn't have the same elegant feel that the rest of the map has.

Also, considering the significant changes for the better you're making, maybe make your signature the same size as Hoff's?
Captain ZeakCytho

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby pepperonibread on Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:58 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:I think the whole crest needs work. It just doesn't have the same elegant feel that the rest of the map has.

Also, considering the significant changes for the better you're making, maybe make your signature the same size as Hoff's?

I'd have to agree to an extent, I'm still trying to get it to "fit" with the rest of the map.
As for my sig, that's ok, I think I graphically like it how it is now. Maybe a bit bigger tho :D
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:01 pm

I've always endorsed small, out of the way signatures. :)

Over all it is looking good. Consider adding another mountain near Munster and Kassel, so it doesn't appear that Munster and Gott. have a route. (Maybe even slightly nudge the mountain on the left end, so it is more flush against the playable area border, if that makes sense.)

Perhaps consider adding a line under "Impassables."

I'm not sure if it is just me, but in the Baden and Sachsen continents (and perhaps even Nord and Bayern too)...the background image seems more difficult to see when compared to Preu and Rhein continents.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby pepperonibread on Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:08 pm

Thanks Andy, sounds good.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby bob3603 on Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:47 am

Graphics look good and are much improved over the original (actually I like your "older" new version better than your "newer" new version, but both look good). If you are trying to keep the gameplay the same though there should be a connection between Leipzig and Magdeburg (A very important area in gameplay).
Colonel bob3603

Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (8)

Postby pepperonibread on Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:01 pm

bob3603 wrote:Graphics look good and are much improved over the original (actually I like your "older" new version better than your "newer" new version, but both look good). If you are trying to keep the gameplay the same though there should be a connection between Leipzig and Magdeburg (A very important area in gameplay).

Whoops, added a few too many mountains there. Nice catch :)
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby pepperonibread on Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:30 am

New update, got ed's color changes in this time:

Large:

Large w/ Army #'s:

Changes:
-Rearranged which continents have which colors so as to resemble the German flag: black at the top, red in the middle, and yellow at the bottom.
-Added a line under the word "Impassables".
-Edited borders/mountains so Leipzig connects to Magdeburg (this preserves the gameplay of the original map). This also gave a bit more room for the Leipzig army number.
-Put a few effects on the coat of arms and made the motto above it a bit more readable. I'm liking this a lot better now.

To-do:
-I'm not yet sure how much I like the new colors, though maybe I'm just not used to them yet. Comments on this would be appreciated, if there's no consensus I may put up a poll.
-Anything else?
Last edited by pepperonibread on Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Corporal pepperonibread

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - New Update 7/9 Pg. 10 [Gp]

Postby bob3603 on Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:30 pm

I like the colors better when you had them intermixed, I think it looks much better.
Colonel bob3603

Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (8)

Postby edbeard on Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:28 pm

I'd prefer the darker red on the left side so they all match up (or all the dark on the right side. don't matter)
Major edbeard

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Postby yeti_c on Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:39 pm

OOC - what does the motto mean?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:42 pm

The colours are really good; a nice homage to the flag which I'm sure will nevertheless be lost on most people ;-)

Your mountains are gorgeous... so nice that you could do with a couple more:
  • Add one to the left of the Freiburg/Karlsruhe border, or shift the left-most one up a few pixels
  • Add a small moutnain to the left of the Munster/Osnabruck range
  • Add another to the right of the Dresden/Berlin range
That should help to make it absolutely obvious that those regions don't border ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:22 pm

I always liked the original germany map, but this one is fantastic. This really blew me away when I saw it.

I tried to find something to comment about, but being unaware of German style/geography. I have nothing to nitpick. And even if I did know about germany, there is probably nothing I could find wrong with this map.
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1)

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:41 am

I like the new continent color arrangement, but agree with Ed that putting all the bolder colors on one side may look better. On the other hand, it could make the map feel quite imbalanced - give it a try, and if it looks bad we'll tell you :)
Captain ZeakCytho

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas