[Official] Germany Revamp

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - New Update 7/9 Pg. 10 [Gp]

Postby pepperonibread on Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:11 pm

iancanton wrote:the latest mix of colours is the most successful yet, with a nice equilibrium between top and bottom, left and right regarding saturated and paler territories.

the motto over the eagle is hard to read and i think it spoils the latter when put in that position.

kiel still looks like it's on an island with denmark rather than being part of the mainland. since the water between kiel and lübeck is a canal, how about making it look artificial? try drawing the canal straight (alternatively in two straight sections with a kink in the middle) and narrow with constant width, maybe with blue instead of black borders.

http://maps.nrcan.gc.ca/topo101/symbols_hydro_e.php

the ideal is to have kiel appear as part of the mainland, with the canal clearly impassable but not sticking out like a sore thumb.

ian. :)


I'd think making the canal straight might make it stick out more, as it would be different from all the other borders. I'll give it a try though. The rest of your comments sound good, I'll continue to experiment with that motto and coat of arms.

ZeakCytho wrote:
gimil wrote:Everything looks pretty sharp pep im impressed with your work (as usual). But I dont much like the mountains, there style is a little more Cartoon like that this map demands.


I don't really dislike the mountains as they are now, but I don't love them either. Experimenting with more styles could be good.


Ok, I'll try some filters and other stuff on them soon, I'd rather not change their basic look too much, but maybe I could tone down the cartoon aspect.

Sorry for the late response guys. I somehow managed to forget about my map yesterday... :D :roll:
Image
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class pepperonibread
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: The Former Confederacy
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) Map Contribution (3)

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - New Update July 3 Pgs. 1&9 [Gp]

Postby yeti_c on Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:34 pm

Click image to enlarge.
image


If you want to make Kiel look less than an island...

Then remove the river/canal from the lower connections - and just have it running down to the right and then fizzling out (as it does already)

C.
Image
Highest score : 2297
User avatar
Lieutenant yeti_c
 
Posts: 9670
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 am
Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - New Update July 3 Pgs. 1&9 [Gp]

Postby pepperonibread on Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:31 pm

yeti_c wrote:
Click image to enlarge.
image


If you want to make Kiel look less than an island...

Then remove the river/canal from the lower connections - and just have it running down to the right and then fizzling out (as it does already)

C.


Wow, odd nobody thought of this... the current arrangement was used I believe because the nearly vertical part is a canal, while the rest is a river. This solution works fine though, I don't think anyone would object to erasing that part as it doesn't actually block any attacks.
Thanks yeti.
Image
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class pepperonibread
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: The Former Confederacy
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) Map Contribution (3)

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - New Update 7/10 Pg. 10 [Gp]

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:21 pm

gimil wrote:Everything looks pretty sharp pep im impressed with your work (as usual). But I dont much like the mountains, there style is a little more Cartoon like that this map demands.

Gimil just seems to have a thing about mountains at the moment ;-)
Image
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
User avatar
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member
 
Posts: 7059
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:32 am
Location: Off Duty
Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - New Update 7/10 Pg. 10 [Gp]

Postby hulmey on Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:15 am

Why has the game play been changed for this map?? I thought revamps werent allowed to change gameplay :?
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
User avatar
Lieutenant hulmey
 
Posts: 3739
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:33 am
Location: Las Vegas
Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - New Update 7/10 Pg. 10 [Gp]

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:27 am

hulmey wrote:Why has the game play been changed for this map?? I thought revamps werent allowed to change gameplay :?

It hasn't been.
User avatar
Captain ZeakCytho
 
Posts: 1251
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:36 pm
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - New Update 7/10 Pg. 10 [Gp]

Postby pepperonibread on Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:47 am

ZeakCytho wrote:
hulmey wrote:Why has the game play been changed for this map?? I thought revamps werent allowed to change gameplay :?

It hasn't been.


Zeak's right, it hasn't been. The names and shapes of territories may have changed, but the underlying gameplay remains the same. Take the continent Preussen for example (Prussia in the old map). The territory Magdeburg (in the new map) borders two territories in the continent below it, one in the continent to its left, and two in its own continent. This arrangement directly corresponds to the territory Potsdam (in the old map). For other examples, look at Gottingen in the new map and Hemeln in the old map, or Wurzburg in the new map and Bamberg in the old map. Each territory in the new map directly corresponds to one other territory in the old map. One exception is in the Baden-Wurttemberg continent on the new map, I forgot to add a few mountains on the border between Ulm and Karlsruhe, which are necessary to keep the gameplay the same. This will be fixed in the next update.
Image
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class pepperonibread
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: The Former Confederacy
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) Map Contribution (3)

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - New Update 7/10 Pg. 10 [Gp]

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:50 am

pepperonibread wrote:Zeak's right


\:D/

:mrgreen:

When do you think the next update will be ready?
User avatar
Captain ZeakCytho
 
Posts: 1251
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:36 pm
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - New Update 7/10 Pg. 10 [Gp]

Postby Androidz on Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:53 am

I Dont think the background fits the cartoon style your going for but i like the Revamp alot.
Image
User avatar
Private Androidz
 
Posts: 1047
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:03 am
Medals: 3
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - New Update 7/10 Pg. 10 [Gp]

Postby pepperonibread on Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:10 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:
pepperonibread wrote:Zeak's right


\:D/

:mrgreen:

When do you think the next update will be ready?


:D This weekend should be basically free, I'll see if I can get something up in a day or two.
Image
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class pepperonibread
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: The Former Confederacy
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) Map Contribution (3)

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - New Update 7/10 Pg. 10 [Gp]

Postby pepperonibread on Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:19 pm

Androidz wrote:I Dont think the background fits the cartoon style your going for but i like the Revamp alot.


Cartoon style? First gimil calls my mountains cartooney, now it's the whole map! j/k, but could you explain why the map is cartooney, or better yet, what I could do to make the background fit better?
Glad you like the revamp :)
Image
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class pepperonibread
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: The Former Confederacy
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) Map Contribution (3)

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - New Update 7/10 Pg. 10 [Gp]

Postby Androidz on Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:22 pm

pepperonibread wrote:
Androidz wrote:I Dont think the background fits the cartoon style your going for but i like the Revamp alot.


Cartoon style? First gimil calls my mountains cartooney, now it's the whole map! j/k, but could you explain why the map is cartooney, or better yet, what I could do to make the background fit better?
Glad you like the revamp :)


Well a interfering with dark and light colours will sharpen this backround. a bit more lightblue sea, and a darker Land background. Well fitt perfect to the cool and healthy cartoonish lands of germany:D and i agrea to gimli that the montains is a bit diffrent type of cartoony:D
Image
User avatar
Private Androidz
 
Posts: 1047
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:03 am
Medals: 3
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - New Update 7/10 Pg. 10 [Gp]

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:26 pm

Hmm...cartoonyness...I guess I see it. Not really, though. The map is bright and bold, which is a good thing. Lightening the sea is not something I would do, simply because I think doing so would make it seem more cartoony, not less. If anything, I would darken the sea, but really not by much. And I wouldn't darken the land, either, because I think it would make the whole map feel too dark if you did so.

On an unrelated note, it seems to me that the coast of the unplayable land around the Netherlands is not quite realistic. Could you make it follow the shape it actually does more closely?
User avatar
Captain ZeakCytho
 
Posts: 1251
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:36 pm
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - New Update 7/10 Pg. 10 [Gp]

Postby Androidz on Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:28 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:Hmm...cartoonyness...I guess I see it. Not really, though. The map is bright and bold, which is a good thing. Lightening the sea is not something I would do, simply because I think doing so would make it seem more cartoony, not less. If anything, I would darken the sea, but really not by much. And I wouldn't darken the land, either, because I think it would make the whole map feel too dark if you did so.

On an unrelated note, it seems to me that the coast of the unplayable land around the Netherlands is not quite realistic. Could you make it follow the shape it actually does more closely?


Hmm what about him makeing us a few maps with diffrent backrounds to vote for?? i feel its something missing in the background..i dont know what
Image
User avatar
Private Androidz
 
Posts: 1047
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:03 am
Medals: 3
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - New Update 7/10 Pg. 10 [Gp]

Postby pepperonibread on Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:29 pm

Androidz wrote:
pepperonibread wrote:
Androidz wrote:I Dont think the background fits the cartoon style your going for but i like the Revamp alot.


Cartoon style? First gimil calls my mountains cartooney, now it's the whole map! j/k, but could you explain why the map is cartooney, or better yet, what I could do to make the background fit better?
Glad you like the revamp :)


Well a interfering with dark and light colours will sharpen this backround. a bit more lightblue sea, and a darker Land background. Well fitt perfect to the cool and healthy cartoonish lands of germany:D and i agrea to gimli that the montains is a bit diffrent type of cartoony:D


Ok, I'll see what I can do with this, I think someone said a long time ago that the background stood out to much, so I'll just have to be careful to not up the contrast too much.
Image
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class pepperonibread
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: The Former Confederacy
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) Map Contribution (3)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Login