Conquer Club

[Official] Germany Revamp

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP- Update/Possible Colors P.12[I,Gp]

Postby edbeard on Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:26 am

b!
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby cairnswk on Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:20 am

B for me. Looking good. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby sam_levi_11 on Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:20 am

b is the most balanced
Sergeant 1st Class sam_levi_11

Postby pepperonibread on Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:20 am

And B wins by a landslide. New update:

Large:

Large w/ Army #'s:

Changes:
-Tweaked color scheme so all saturated colors are on one side of the map, to better balance out the image. Adjusted the minimap accordingly.
-Shifted some mountains to make clear that Karlsruhe and Freiburg do not border.

To-do:
-Comments?
Corporal pepperonibread

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP 8/13 Update Pgs. 1&13 [I, Gp]

Postby whitestazn88 on Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:34 am

his looks great
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby Incandenza on Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:01 am

Looking damn good, pep. But (and you knew there was a "but" coming...), there's one thing that kinda bugs me.

Forgive me if this has already been hashed over, but it seems like there's a more elegant way of dealing with the elongation of koblenz. Just seems like an impassable between mainz and trier would be a better, more visually appealing solution. As it stands, the terit looks kinda weird, and koblenz isn't exactly the sort of burgeoning metropolis that on its own would warrant such an acreage.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - DRAFT of New Borders Pg. 5

Postby pepperonibread on Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:57 pm

Incandenza wrote:Looking damn good, pep. But (and you knew there was a "but" coming...), there's one thing that kinda bugs me.

Forgive me if this has already been hashed over, but it seems like there's a more elegant way of dealing with the elongation of koblenz. Just seems like an impassable between mainz and trier would be a better, more visually appealing solution. As it stands, the terit looks kinda weird, and koblenz isn't exactly the sort of burgeoning metropolis that on its own would warrant such an acreage.

Well, here's the other option:

This is a draft from when there was still a lot of border tweaking to be done. Koblenz (Siegen on this map) was separated from the edge of the country by the Rhine, and Trier and Mainz (Pfalz on this map) are separated from each other by the Moselle River. The reason for using the configuration I have now is simply because I didn't want six or seven bridges spanning the continent. Now, I could just use the Moselle River and leave the Rhine out of it, but it ends slightly below the "Thuringen" on the minimap. So, the river would have no mouth, which is bad for two reasons: first, because it wouldn't look good with my style of rivers, that slowly slim down, and second, because people usually like rivers to be as realistic as possible.
So there's my argument. A few interesting looking territories isn't too bad I think anyway. Any suggestions to fix this though are of course appreciated :)
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby Incandenza on Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:06 pm

You're right to not want a bunch of bridges, and I see your point about how the Moselle wouldn't look great...

I dunno, I don't imagine there's a handy set of hills/mountains in the area.

It's not a huge deal, I guess. I can appreciate the fact that you've clearly done your due diligence.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby ZeakCytho on Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:53 pm

Have I mentioned that I'm unable to play the Germany map as it is now after seeing the amazing graphics on this revamp? Hurry up and quench!

As for the "problem" with Klobenz, adding a semi-fictional mountain range is out of the question? It seems to me that most of the mountains you have are already somewhat fictionalized, as there are no high alpine peaks in the north of Germany, or, at least as far as I, an American, know of. I think most of the Germans on the site would probably prefer more realistic territory divisions than geographic elements?
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby pepperonibread on Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:11 pm

So I did a bit more research, and lo and behold, look what I found:

The Hunsrück mountains. Not the highest mountains in Germany, but neither are those bordering Munster. So I think this basically solves the problem. I'll rearrange the territ. borders for the next update.
Wow, I hate doing these mountains. Only for you guys ;)
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby cairnswk on Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:07 am

As I think I've asked before.....if you're going to re-arrange something....why can't the Rhine be included in this map to make it more accurate. I think it is sacrilege to leave the Rhine out of a map of Germany, especially when it divides those territories.
Private cairnswk

Postby pepperonibread on Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:59 am

cairnswk wrote:As I think I've asked before.....if you're going to re-arrange something....why can't the Rhine be included in this map to make it more accurate. I think it is sacrilege to leave the Rhine out of a map of Germany, especially when it divides those territories.

Well, like I said a few posts ago, adding the Rhine really doesn't block anything and just necessitates a bunch of bridges. It's only real function would be to give a mouth to the Moselle River, which would actually be an impassable. Seeing how this would just clutter up the map, I think we have a good solution in the Hunsrück Mts I mentioned above.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby RjBeals on Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:09 pm

Pep.... congratulations!
This map looks fantastic. You've created a completely unique feeling map, that's easy on the eyes and feels German. My only comment is the faint image in the background of the map. I can barely see what it is (in fact I really cant). Is there a reason for it (I haven't went back to read all the pages). Also - I personally think your minimap would look better without the territory borders on it. Just keep the main bonus region borders.
Private RjBeals

Postby pepperonibread on Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:49 pm

RjBeals wrote:Pep.... congratulations!
This map looks fantastic. You've created a completely unique feeling map, that's easy on the eyes and feels German. My only comment is the faint image in the background of the map. I can barely see what it is (in fact I really cant). Is there a reason for it (I haven't went back to read all the pages). Also - I personally think your minimap would look better without the territory borders on it. Just keep the main bonus region borders.

You mean an image on the actual map, not the whole image? That would be the coats of arms for each continent (think Great Lakes). People seem to be split on this, some love them, others think they look like crap. Taking the middle road I guess doesn't work too well either, as you can't even tell what they are. So I'm thinking this may have to come to a vote, with my own judgment if it's too close.
A can-do on the minimap suggestion. Thanks for the praise RJ, it means a bunch coming from you.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby Arachnophobia on Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:33 am

hiho again, got one lil proposal:
Change Emden to Bremerhaven. That way you got an explanation why Bremen is landlocked (which is actually a port city from back in the Hanse days, seatrade was very important for the development of the city) and the territory of Emden streches so far east and north when its actually on the most western side of germany...

apart from that, the rivers and mountains are all not really realistic so I doubt we have a dire need to change a few of them when we dont change all. Im all for adding the mountain range between Trier and Mainz. That would actually be one of the most realistic impassables on the map :P

Also im all for the coat of arms, although you could make them a tad more visible (esspecially for Norddeutschland and Sachsen-Thüringen, these are neary invisible). You could leave them out on the minimap though
Lieutenant Arachnophobia

Postby pepperonibread on Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:05 pm

Arachnophobia wrote:hiho again, got one lil proposal:
Change Emden to Bremerhaven. That way you got an explanation why Bremen is landlocked (which is actually a port city from back in the Hanse days, seatrade was very important for the development of the city) and the territory of Emden streches so far east and north when its actually on the most western side of germany...

apart from that, the rivers and mountains are all not really realistic so I doubt we have a dire need to change a few of them when we dont change all. Im all for adding the mountain range between Trier and Mainz. That would actually be one of the most realistic impassables on the map :P

Also im all for the coat of arms, although you could make them a tad more visible (esspecially for Norddeutschland and Sachsen-Thüringen, these are neary invisible). You could leave them out on the minimap though

Everything sounds fine to me. Thanks arachnophobia :)
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby cairnswk on Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:06 pm

Any update on this one coming pepperonibread?
Private cairnswk

Postby pepperonibread on Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:09 pm

Not to worry cairns. Just finished my last summer essay, so I should be able to get an update in between now and school starting :)
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby cairnswk on Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:12 pm

pepperonibread wrote:Not to worry cairns. Just finished my last summer essay, so I should be able to get an update in between now and school starting :)
Thanks mate. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby yeti_c on Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:40 am

NOOooooooooo Pep - I hope you've not abandoned this - it's so close (if not ready)?!

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby pepperonibread on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:01 pm

No - just massive heaps of schoolwork. If I can wade through a lot this week though, I might get a chance to update Saturday or Sunday.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby pepperonibread on Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:10 pm

Good night everyone ;)
Corporal pepperonibread

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP 10/7 Update Pg. 14 [I, Gp]

Postby ZeakCytho on Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:14 pm

Quench.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby laci_mae on Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:36 am

It's beautiful (and done)!

L
Corporal 1st Class laci_mae

Postby yeti_c on Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:44 am

Agreed - this bad boy is worthy of a stamp.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas