[Official] Germany Revamp

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby pepperonibread on Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:54 am

Silvanus wrote:
pepperonibread wrote:Since it's a revamp, I'm not allowed to actually change how many territories the continents have or how they border other continents (no gameplay changes).


Hmm, so it's not possible to fix the chaos. I don't see a possibility to get a reasonable map based on the current one. Too much areas are cut by the borders and others are united wich don't belong to each other.
Maybe it would be the best to create a new map.

A compromise might be if you drop the unlucky names of the regions completely and use terms like "West" or "Southeast" in the USA map.


It looks like the bolded is what I'll be doing. Except for Bavaria. If I'm correct, that is an accurate German state.
So, more than anything, it seems like this is going to be a mainly graphical update.
Sorry for the late response :)
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class pepperonibread
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: The Former Confederacy
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) Map Contribution (3)

Postby gimil on Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:35 am

Since this is a revamp:

ImageImage

Pep you still have a few things missing thou. For example the page number of the latest update in the title and the information required in the first post :)

Information Requirements on the first post of a maps thread
1. The number of territories currently on the map.
2. The number of continents. (If this makes sense for your map)
3. Descriptions of any unique features or areas.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby JerryB on Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:10 am

mistake:

it should be Bamberg not Bamburg
User avatar
Captain JerryB
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:40 am
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) General Achievement (2)

Postby Silvanus on Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:12 am

pepperonibread wrote:
A compromise might be if you drop the unlucky names of the regions completely and use terms like "West" or "Southeast" in the USA map.

It looks like the bolded is what I'll be doing. Except for Bavaria. If I'm correct, that is an accurate German state.
So, more than anything, it seems like this is going to be a mainly graphical update.
Sorry for the late response :)



ok, much better like this :)
two things remain:
- we have to find another name for the yellow territory whis is named "Würzburg" right now, because Würzburg is a city in bavaria.
- and also: the German name is Bayern, not Bavaria.

cheers,
Slvanus
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Silvanus
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:15 am
Location: München - Germany
Medals: 54
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (9)

Postby pepperonibread on Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:09 pm

gimil wrote:Pep you still have a few things missing thou...

Thanks gimil. Fixed it.

JerryB wrote:mistake:
it should be Bamberg not Bamburg

Good catch :) It'll be in the next update.

Silvanus wrote:ok, much better like this
two things remain:
- we have to find another name for the yellow territory whis is named "Würzburg" right now, because Würzburg is a city in bavaria.
- and also: the German name is Bayern, not Bavaria.

cheers,
Silvanus

Thanks, this stuff will be fixed as well.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class pepperonibread
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: The Former Confederacy
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) Map Contribution (3)

Postby oaktown on Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:43 pm

my least favorite aspect of this revamp is seeing the words tilted in any which way that they will fit. Can I suggest making the overall image size bigger, and zooming in a bit more on the playable area? You've got a lot of pixels to play with.
Image
User avatar
Captain oaktown
 
Posts: 4552
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:24 pm
Location: majorcommand
Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (12)
General Contribution (5)

Postby pepperonibread on Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:45 am

oaktown wrote:my least favorite aspect of this revamp is seeing the words tilted in any which way that they will fit. Can I suggest making the overall image size bigger, and zooming in a bit more on the playable area? You've got a lot of pixels to play with.


Alright... I'll see what I can do when I adjust the width.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class pepperonibread
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: The Former Confederacy
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) Map Contribution (3)

Postby Seulessliathan on Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:48 am

i totally agree with Silvanus ..... please change the "continents"
User avatar
Brigadier Seulessliathan
 
Posts: 814
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:52 am
Medals: 54
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (12) Challenge Achievement (1)

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - Images pg. 1

Postby iancanton on Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:09 am

this map is looking nice. i like the colours, with the emblems incorporated into the continent backgrounds.

Silvanus wrote:two things remain:
- we have to find another name for the yellow territory whis is named "Würzburg" right now, because Würzburg is a city in bavaria.
- and also: the German name is Bayern, not Bavaria.


we can align the continents completely with the länder boundaries by renaming some more territories. this lets us avoid using artificial directional names for the continents.

rename hanover as braunschweig (west germany continent becomes niedersachsen or maybe niedersachsen-anhalt - does this last name make sense to our german players?).
make kassel bigger and braunschweig smaller, then rename kassel as hannover.
rename würzburg as kassel (hessen continent becomes rheinhessen - this, suggested by daydream, is a well-known wine-producing region).
rheinland continent becomes baden-württemberg.
rename bamburg as würzburg (bavaria continent becomes bayern).
rename erfurt as jena.
make kassel (the old würzburg) bigger and fulda smaller, then rename fulda as erfurt (east germany continent becomes sachsen-thüringen).
rename prussia as preussen (suggested by daydream), unless we can think of a better name for this continent.

after renaming as above, will borders for unchanged gameplay be maintained if we use the correct political boundaries for the six continents (niedersachsen-anhalt, rheinhessen, baden-württemberg, bayern, sachsen-thüringen and preussen), based on the map below? i know that we can't use the actual political boundaries for each individual territory.

Silvanus wrote:http://www.acu.edu/academics/cas/fl/german/bundeslaender/bundeslaender.htm


can u erase the part of the river that forms the border between dresden and both berlin and potsdam and replace it with mountains, since the river doesn't go that way (see below)?

add the oder river along the eastern edges of neubrandenburg and most of berlin, then veer it south-east into poland to join up with the existing river. add the neisse river along the eastern edges of dresden and berlin to flow into the oder river. below is a link to the preussens gloria website, which has a map of these two rivers, that together form the border between germany and poland.

http://www.nccg.org/preussen/preussen8.html

ian. :)
User avatar
Brigadier iancanton
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant
 
Posts: 1702
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:40 am
Location: europe
Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (7) General Contribution (13)

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - Images pg. 1

Postby guinniboy on Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:10 am

i like the revamp most of the time i dont play this map because it lacks color, it somehow seems more interesting!
User avatar
Major guinniboy
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:31 pm
Location: under your bed : )
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1)

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - Images pg. 1

Postby pepperonibread on Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:43 pm

iancanton wrote:we can align the continents completely with the länder boundaries by renaming some more territories. this lets us avoid using artificial directional names for the continents.

rename hanover as braunschweig (west germany continent becomes niedersachsen or maybe niedersachsen-anhalt - does this last name make sense to our german players?).
make kassel bigger and braunschweig smaller, then rename kassel as hannover.
rename würzburg as kassel (hessen continent becomes rheinhessen - this, suggested by daydream, is a well-known wine-producing region).
rheinland continent becomes baden-württemberg.
rename bamburg as würzburg (bavaria continent becomes bayern).
rename erfurt as jena.
make kassel (the old würzburg) bigger and fulda smaller, then rename fulda as erfurt (east germany continent becomes sachsen-thüringen).
rename prussia as preussen (suggested by daydream), unless we can think of a better name for this continent.

after renaming as above, will borders for unchanged gameplay be maintained if we use the correct political boundaries for the six continents (niedersachsen-anhalt, rheinhessen, baden-württemberg, bayern, sachsen-thüringen and preussen), based on the map below? i know that we can't use the actual political boundaries for each individual territory.

Silvanus wrote:http://www.acu.edu/academics/cas/fl/german/bundeslaender/bundeslaender.htm


ian. :)


Okay. So, you're suggesting continents like this, right: Quick Draft
Just wanted to clarify.
Like you said, the problem isn't going to be the continent (state) borders, but the individual territories. So I'll get a draft of territories within these new state boundaries hopefully soon, and allow everybody some time to give suggestions on it. I should be able to use the territory names you suggested, but I'll see how it pans out.
Thanks for the suggestions :) Everything else you posted I agreed with.
Image
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class pepperonibread
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: The Former Confederacy
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) Map Contribution (3)

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - Images pg. 1

Postby iancanton on Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:24 pm

pepperonibread wrote:Okay. So, you're suggesting continents like this, right: Quick Draft


that's exactly right!

ian. :)
User avatar
Brigadier iancanton
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant
 
Posts: 1702
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:40 am
Location: europe
Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (7) General Contribution (13)

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - Images pg. 1

Postby Lone.prophet on Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:09 am

i think that holland or niederlande should be a bit more its real shape
Image
Captain Lone.prophet
 
Posts: 1467
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:37 pm
Location: Your basement Muahaha
Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Map Contribution (1)

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - Images pg. 1

Postby Skittles! on Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:00 am

Lone.prophet wrote:i think that holland or niederlande should be a bit more its real shape

I think that this is a Germany Revamp, not the shape of Netherlands topic.

Looking good Pep! Keep it going. Way better than the original, in my thoughts.
KraphtOne wrote:when you sign up a new account one of the check boxes should be "do you want to foe colton24 (it is highly recommended) "
User avatar
Corporal Skittles!
 
Posts: 14563
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:18 am
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - Images pg. 1

Postby mibi on Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:05 am

this map looks great and is a real improvement but I would like to see the black/red/gold reintroduced. The current Germany map sucks in terms of graphics but with such bold and present colors it was undeniably German. Aside from the type, there isn't a whole lot German about it.
User avatar
Captain mibi
 
Posts: 3360
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:19 pm
Location: The Great State of Vermont
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - Images pg. 1

Postby pepperonibread on Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:02 am

mibi wrote:this map looks great and is a real improvement but I would like to see the black/red/gold reintroduced. The current Germany map sucks in terms of graphics but with such bold and present colors it was undeniably German. Aside from the type, there isn't a whole lot German about it.


Alright, sounds good. Because of the width change and the major border changes, basically this whole map is going to be redone. So I'll have a lot of time to add in some more german flavor.
Image
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class pepperonibread
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: The Former Confederacy
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) Map Contribution (3)

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - Images pg. 1

Postby pepperonibread on Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:43 pm

Alright guys, after doing some more research, here's the draft I came up with:

Image

Like it was suggested, the "continents" now all align with the state borders of Germany. But because the borders were changed so much (the shape of the borders only, no gameplay changes), I needed to change the names of some of the territories. This is what I'd like comments on (from Germans, if possible). I need as accurate names as possible. Once all this stuff is ironed out, I'll begin working on applying these changes to the "graphically enhanced" version.
Also, no umlauts yet, so don't mind that.
Last edited by pepperonibread on Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class pepperonibread
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: The Former Confederacy
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) Map Contribution (3)

Postby Unit_2 on Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:08 pm

With a revamp you can only make differnt graphic changes not gameplay.
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class Unit_2
 
Posts: 2003
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:59 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - Draft of New Borders Pg. 4

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:13 pm

It it plays the same way then its fine.
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz
 
Posts: 3088
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: Doin' it for da lulz.
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Re:

Postby pepperonibread on Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:21 pm

Unit_2 wrote:With a revamp you can only make differnt graphic changes not gameplay.


Kaplowitz wrote:It it plays the same way then its fine.


Sorry guys, guess I didn't explain well enough. The shape of the borders has changed, but the gameplay is all the same. Just like my first draft and the original map. I'll edit my previous post.
Image
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class pepperonibread
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: The Former Confederacy
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) Map Contribution (3)

Postby iancanton on Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:00 pm

i've had time to have a quick look at baden-württemberg and rheinhessen and i think the following four changes are logical:

replace purple munchen by stuttgart (there are two munchens just now!);
replace pforzheim (town) by karlsruhe (city);
replace kassel (city) by dortmund (one of germany's largest cities);
replace fulda (town) by kassel (city).

do our german members agree?

i also notice that the east german river (blue impassable) still needs to be replaced by mountains (brown impassable).

ian. :)
User avatar
Brigadier iancanton
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant
 
Posts: 1702
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:40 am
Location: europe
Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (7) General Contribution (13)

Re:

Postby pepperonibread on Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:57 pm

iancanton wrote:i've had time to have a quick look at baden-württemberg and rheinhessen and i think the following four changes are logical:

replace purple munchen by stuttgart (there are two munchens just now!);
replace pforzheim (town) by karlsruhe (city);
replace kassel (city) by dortmund (one of germany's largest cities);
replace fulda (town) by kassel (city).

do our german members agree?

i also notice that the east german river (blue impassable) still needs to be replaced by mountains (brown impassable).

ian. :)


Sounds good... I've no idea how that 2nd Munchen got there :)
Image
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class pepperonibread
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: The Former Confederacy
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) Map Contribution (3)

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - Draft of New Borders Pg. 4

Postby pepperonibread on Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:47 pm

Ok. I updated my earlier post with ian's suggestions. I'll post in the German forum and see if I can get some input from there.
Image
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class pepperonibread
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: The Former Confederacy
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) Map Contribution (3)

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - Draft of New Borders Pg. 4

Postby wicked on Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:08 pm

Are you kidding me??? The colors on that are horrid. Put down the crayons! Seriously, the coloring on the Germany map is great, I love it, don't f*ck it up with those absurd bright colors! Please no!

Also, the text looks horrible!! I don't even know where to start to suggest changes.

Ok, apparently there are two drafts? WTF? which one are you working on dude? It's impossible to comment!! Scrap whatever crap is on this page and go back to the other draft and let's comment on that, eh?
User avatar
Major wicked
 
Posts: 15794
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:23 pm
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - Draft of New Borders Pg. 4

Postby pepperonibread on Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:27 pm

wicked wrote:Are you kidding me??? The colors on that are horrid. Put down the crayons! Seriously, the coloring on the Germany map is great, I love it, don't f*ck it up with those absurd bright colors! Please no!

Also, the text looks horrible!! I don't even know where to start to suggest changes.

Ok, apparently there are two drafts? WTF? which one are you working on dude? It's impossible to comment!! Scrap whatever crap is on this page and go back to the other draft and let's comment on that, eh?


Sorry about the confusion. I mostly need comments on accuracy right now, as our German members aren't satisfied with my original map (http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w108 ... ny000L.jpg). Because of the major changes, I put up a draft with more accurate borders, as I want to get the borders/country names down before redoing the good graphics version.
I'll clarify this on the 1st post :)
Image
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class pepperonibread
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: The Former Confederacy
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) Map Contribution (3)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron
Login