Haiti [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Unit_2 on Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:09 am

Move the names: Baie de Henne into the territory and move the army circle down, move the army circle for bainet over to the way left and move the name into the territory and mone the army circle for Cotes de Fer down a bit and put the name in the territory.

Other then that it looks good.


-U2
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class Unit_2
 
Posts: 2003
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:59 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby whitestazn88 on Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:35 am

match the legend colors with the ones on the map or vice versa
Sergeant 1st Class whitestazn88
 
Posts: 3127
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:59 pm
Location: behind you
Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (1)

Postby edbeard on Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:54 am

one thing I've been thinking about is adjusting the continents a bit

Image

those are the districts. One idea I had early on was to make the north a true north combining 7,5,6

If I did that, I'd also combine Fort-Liberte with Brouillard. Then, with the extra territory, I'd chop up Gonaives and make that area less linear with both territories touching Port-de-Paix.

In the south, I'd match up the Ouest territory more with how it is in real life. Those south three territories plus Leogane would be another continent.



In short the continents would essentially be

1. Districts 7, 5, 6

2. District 1

3. District 2

4. District 8

5. Districts 3, 4, 10

6. District 9
User avatar
Major edbeard
 
Posts: 2501
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:41 am
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Postby CatfishJohnson on Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:40 am

sounds good either way to me i disagree with the mili guy or whatever. not every map has to have random shit exploding after the round is over i like strightforwardness, but i love the idea either way u decide to exacute it
User avatar
Cook CatfishJohnson
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:47 pm
Location: Michigan
Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Re: Haiti v3 pg2

Postby edbeard on Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:50 pm

Image


v2
v1

What you need to know:

1. 28 territories
2. 6 continents

Changes in this update
1. alternate version of continents
2. territories changed in a couple places to make this more feasible.
3. legend changed to reflect changes and order switched to more normal north-south order.

To Do:

1. Gameplay / Bonus Discussion
2. switch places of sud and sud-est in the legend
User avatar
Major edbeard
 
Posts: 2501
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:41 am
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Re: Haiti v3 pg2

Postby edbeard on Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:26 pm

also, regarding the legend colours, I don't see the problem. We want the legend to be a little bit prettier than the map. The dull colours don't work there but they look nice on the map itself. There's no way people are going to be confused about which colour matches what.
User avatar
Major edbeard
 
Posts: 2501
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:41 am
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Re:

Postby mibi on Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:14 pm

edbeard wrote:
mibi wrote:
It's based on looking like a map you'd see in a textbook.


um... boring!

I disagree




Where is the life an energy here? There seems no REASON for this map to exist. It's like you threw a dart at a globe and hacked out a map for a school project. Map from a textbook? Where is the fun in that? Actually, its not a map from a textbook, as any textbook that covered Haiti would have a little more relevance to it that this map. What you have here ebeard is a map that you would see in an atlas, and that sir, is the definition of boring.

Haiti has a rich history and incredibly vibrant culture, Carnival anyone? What you have done here is reduced a complex and passionate nation into Fisher Price level study of colors, shapes, and numbers.

Seriously, is there a reason why you chose Haiti? You probably should have chose a territory deserving of your bland palate like North Dakota or Micronesia.
User avatar
Captain mibi
 
Posts: 3360
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:19 pm
Location: The Great State of Vermont
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Re: Haiti v3 pg2

Postby edbeard on Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:06 pm

I chose it because I thought it would make for a good game of risk. The main reason for maps is to play risk on them, obviously.

There's no big reason ANY map needs to be made. Do we need a Portugal map? Do we need a San Francisco map? We don't need any of them. We're making them first and foremost to have a good unique game.

Period maps are good. Oaktown's Berlin being the most prominent in my mind. I don't want to make a period map.

We don't want every map to be 'bland' but a few more simple maps are not going to hurt anyone. There is a standard CC wants for maps and I think the direction of this map does and will fit those standards.

I've seen plenty of people asking for geographical maps around the forum and I'm making one.

thanks for your comments mibi.
User avatar
Major edbeard
 
Posts: 2501
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:41 am
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Re: Haiti v3 pg2

Postby mibi on Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:06 pm

edbeard wrote:I chose it because I thought it would make for a good game of risk. The main reason for maps is to play risk on them, obviously.

There's no big reason ANY map needs to be made. Do we need a Portugal map? Do we need a San Francisco map? We don't need any of them. We're making them first and foremost to have a good unique game.

Period maps are good. Oaktown's Berlin being the most prominent in my mind. I don't want to make a period map.

We don't want every map to be 'bland' but a few more simple maps are not going to hurt anyone. There is a standard CC wants for maps and I think the direction of this map does and will fit those standards.

I've seen plenty of people asking for geographical maps around the forum and I'm making one.

thanks for your comments mibi.


I dunno ed, sounds like a cop-out for a lack luster performance. This map may fit the minimum specs for development but it isn't striving to be anything more than what it is, an atlas scrap thats been Riskafied. It doesn't have to be a period map to have indigenous flavor to it. I predict this map will be just like Iberia, just sliding through the foundry with no one making any big fuss because no one is really all that interested because all you are bringing to the table here is just some random playable geography and nothing more. This map has no passion and no life, which unfortunately is not required to quench.

And that is all I will say about it.
User avatar
Captain mibi
 
Posts: 3360
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:19 pm
Location: The Great State of Vermont
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Re: Haiti v3 pg2

Postby gimil on Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:09 pm

Im going to [Adv. Idea] this one. Some more dicsussion is needed before we move you out to the main foundry.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: Haiti v3 pg2

Postby edbeard on Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:21 pm

see I like the Iberia map. we've just got different opinions obviously.

I'm not saying, "Oh. I'm totally done with everything and it's perfect." Just because it's simple doesn't mean things can be improved and details added.

I don't see what's wrong with 'random playable geography' either. These are the maps I like the most. They definitely provide unique gameplay.

I've also made a relatively small territory map of which CC doesn't have many.
User avatar
Major edbeard
 
Posts: 2501
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:41 am
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Re: Haiti v3 pg2

Postby Riazor on Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:35 am

edbeard wrote:I chose it because I thought it would make for a good game of risk. The main reason for maps is to play risk on them, obviously.


This is very true and i cannot do anything else than agree with it. Of course, the nicer it looks, the more fun it is to play on. But if i want to play a simple map, on a different risk board, this might just be exactly what i want.

My personal preferences are maps around the size of classic with no real gimmicks. That actually means classic in any other shape :wink:

Keep up the good work =D>
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant Riazor
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:57 am
Location: On the scoreboard
Medals: 32
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (7)

Re: Haiti v3 pg2

Postby CatfishJohnson on Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:52 am

150% agree with the lizard up dare
User avatar
Cook CatfishJohnson
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:47 pm
Location: Michigan
Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Re: Haiti v3 pg2

Postby graulenst on Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:26 pm

I really like this map. The one thing that bothers me as i look at it is how flat the ocean is. The land having texture and the ocean not having any bothers me.

Great idea and i look forward to seeing this map develop.
User avatar
Private graulenst
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:53 am
Location: Salem, MA
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (3)

Re: Haiti v3 pg2

Postby gimil on Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:12 pm

For the ocean issues, could you make the sea darker at bit to represent differnt depth. Might give it that extra umph that it needs.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: random21 and 1 guest

Login