Arctic Map [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Marvaddin on Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:57 pm

I like the idea, but I would like to see an image with a better resolution, please. And maybe we can choose another name to these NA Ice, Russia Ice...
Major Marvaddin

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Map Contribution (3)

Postby stevegriffiths23 on Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:42 am

There are a lot of connecting lines - makes it looks a bit messy - are they all necessary?
Major stevegriffiths23

Postby Bad Speler on Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:22 am

Marvaddin wrote:I like the idea, but I would like to see an image with a better resolution, please. And maybe we can choose another name to these NA Ice, Russia Ice...

I'm still working on the better resolution. i cant think of any better names then NA ice and Russia ice (mostly because thats what it is). I'm open to suggestions on the names.

stevegriffiths23 wrote:There are a lot of connecting lines - makes it looks a bit messy - are they all necessary?

Taking a second look, you're right. I will try to eliminate the lines that aren't necessary in my next map update.
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler

Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (4)
Map Contribution (2)

Postby reverend_kyle on Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:05 am

Bad Speler wrote:Well, there has been a suggestion about an Antarctica map, but it's basically been rejected due to the fact that it would be hard to seperate it into countries.
Here's the link to the antarctica map suggestion if you're interested

I started on one in there.. unfortunately I cant make pretty maps
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby Bad Speler on Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:42 am

I only read the first couple of posts.

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (4)
Map Contribution (2)

Postby happysadfun on Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:56 am

wait: a bonus of five with four borders and 6 countries? shouldn't it be lower for north america? and if the aleutians could stand out a tad more that would be cool.
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Rope. Tree. Hillary. Some assembly required.
Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby Bad Speler on Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:41 am

happysadfun wrote:wait: a bonus of five with four borders and 6 countries? shouldn't it be lower for north america? and if the aleutians could stand out a tad more that would be cool.

I think you mis-counted North America has 3 borders and 7 countries (unless I mis-counted). It might still be worth a 4. I did try to make the aleutian islands stand out more, but im not sure if I suceeded, you be the judge. Anyways, here's the latest version of the map.

(Click to enlarge)
Edit: this is no longer the current version. Keep scrolling down.
Last edited by Bad Speler on Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Map Contribution (2)

Postby happysadfun on Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:29 pm

Bad Speler wrote:
happysadfun wrote:wait: a bonus of five with four borders and 6 countries? shouldn't it be lower for north america? and if the aleutians could stand out a tad more that would be cool.

I think you mis-counted North America has 3 borders and 7 countries (unless I mis-counted). It might still be worth a 4. I did try to make the aleutian islands stand out more, but im not sure if I suceeded, you be the judge. Anyways, here's the latest version of the map.

(Click to enlarge)

I did. It's actually 5 borders, 7 countries. Keep it at 5 (I didnt count the aleutians the 1st time.)
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby Bad Speler on Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:03 pm

I think at this point I should get to work on the graphics

Map Contribution (2)

Arctic map

Postby Bad Speler on Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:11 am

I've worked on the graphics, let me know what you think.
Note: It is currently a bmp image. I will change it to a jpeg/gif/png image later. I am only working with a bitmap image, because that's what I'm most familiar with.
Edit: I finally figured out how to make the image appear larger.

Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)

Map Contribution (2)

Postby Bad Speler on Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:47 pm

Can I get anyone to comment on the newer version of this map?

Map Contribution (2)

Postby DublinDoogey on Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:49 pm

I don't know if it's been talked about, but the font's horribly difficult to read.
Cadet DublinDoogey

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)
Map Contribution (1)

Postby Bad Speler on Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:50 pm

Ok, I'll change it. Thanks for commenting.

Map Contribution (2)

Postby happysadfun on Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:13 pm

it's almost as bad as mine :) which in my eyes is ok. but the textures are a little bit... ehh *moves side of hand in seesaw-like fashion* and it's tough determining which queen elizabeth islands are part of which country. and btw, murmansk is considered scandinavia by most people.

Cadet happysadfun

Postby Bad Speler on Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:22 pm

Ok, I'll change those

Map Contribution (2)

Postby BD Juzza on Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:50 pm

I like it but yeah there right change the font, besides that it looks good
Cadet BD Juzza

Postby gavin_sidhu on Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:32 am

Wow, this edit looks soo much better than the last edit.
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby reverend_kyle on Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:57 am

looks icky biggitize it.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)

Postby Marvaddin on Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:45 am

Really, the font is terrible. Also, I believe the texture could be more soft.
The borders, some are thinner than others, and they are blocky.
Terrible route lines.
You could change the colour scheme, near continents have alike colours. Those Aleutian islands are an example. Europe and N. Islands too. Anyway, the colours at the legend are pretty different from those on the map.
The green continent is very difficult to understand, I cant see the territories properly. Maybe you can merge some islands.
There is a gray island connected to Jaymyr, whats that?
And sincerely, why a so small map?? Even to the small version, it could be bigger.

I have little time now, but I can help with bonuses later.
Major Marvaddin

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Map Contribution (3)

Postby Bad Speler on Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:16 pm

Marvaddin wrote:Really, the font is terrible. Also, I believe the texture could be more soft.
The borders, some are thinner than others, and they are blocky.
Terrible route lines.
You could change the colour scheme, near continents have alike colours. Those Aleutian islands are an example. Europe and N. Islands too. Anyway, the colours at the legend are pretty different from those on the map.
The green continent is very difficult to understand, I cant see the territories properly. Maybe you can merge some islands.
There is a gray island connected to Jaymyr, whats that?
And sincerely, why a so small map?? Even to the small version, it could be bigger.

As with the map size, it is 600 pixels wide (the max), and 350 pixels in height (again following the guidelines). As with the font, it seems to be a concensus that its horrible, so I will change it. I will try to find a better texture, and colours. The reason that some of the colours on the legend is a bit different from those on the actual continent, is because those colours are hard to see on the blue background. The island attached to Taymyr is part of Nenets, I'll try to make that clearer.

happysadfun wrote: and btw, murmansk is considered scandinavia by most people.

I checked on Wikipedia, it does not say anything about murmansk being scandinavian. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavia If you check near the bottom of the page, where it says "The Nordic Countries vs. Scandinavia," it lists the scandinavian areas. Apparently Iceland and Greenland are a part of scandinavia. Greenland, I know, is traditionally known as North American. I am stuck as to what to do with it, follow tradition, and keep it at it's current continent, or change it to Scandinavia.

It looks like I have work to do.

Map Contribution (2)

Postby spiesr on Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:04 pm

I think that the colors should be very light being an arctic map.
Captain spiesr
Suggestions Moderator
Suggestions Moderator

Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (6) General Contribution (3)

Postby Bad Speler on Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:09 pm

It makes sense. I'll try implementing the lightest colours I can.

Map Contribution (2)

Postby reverend_kyle on Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:31 pm

thats what I tried to do with my antarctica map.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Arctic map

Postby Bad Speler on Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:59 pm

Here is an update.

Here are the changes I made:
  1. I got rid of B.C. (it was too small), and added Nenets Island.
  2. Added Iceland to Scandinavia.
  3. Changed all Bonuses accordingly
  4. Change font finally...
  5. Changed texture.
  6. Changed colours, so that bordering continents have similar colours.

It looks a bit crowded, I might shrink the font size.

P.S. Rev Kyle, you can borrow the colours on my map for your Antarctica map.

Map Contribution (2)

Postby gavin_sidhu on Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:17 am

...the texture in this edit is horendous. The font aint that much better. U should have added BC to the NW Territories because right now N America is very very linear. i also think N America is worth too much, 4 men for a 5 country continent with 2 borders? Africa in the classic has 6 countries, 3 borders and only 3 reinforcements.
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Next

Return to The Atlas