Arctic Map [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby BD Juzza on Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:50 pm

I like it but yeah there right change the font, besides that it looks good
User avatar
Cadet BD Juzza
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:37 pm
Location: Australia, Brisbane

Postby gavin_sidhu on Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:32 am

Wow, this edit looks soo much better than the last edit.
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
User avatar
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu
 
Posts: 1428
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 6:16 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Postby reverend_kyle on Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:57 am

looks icky biggitize it.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
User avatar
Sergeant reverend_kyle
 
Posts: 9268
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:08 pm
Location: 1000 post club
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby Marvaddin on Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:45 am

Really, the font is terrible. Also, I believe the texture could be more soft.
The borders, some are thinner than others, and they are blocky.
Terrible route lines.
You could change the colour scheme, near continents have alike colours. Those Aleutian islands are an example. Europe and N. Islands too. Anyway, the colours at the legend are pretty different from those on the map.
The green continent is very difficult to understand, I cant see the territories properly. Maybe you can merge some islands.
There is a gray island connected to Jaymyr, whats that?
And sincerely, why a so small map?? Even to the small version, it could be bigger.

I have little time now, but I can help with bonuses later.
Image
User avatar
Major Marvaddin
 
Posts: 2545
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:06 pm
Location: Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Map Contribution (3)

Postby Bad Speler on Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:16 pm

Marvaddin wrote:Really, the font is terrible. Also, I believe the texture could be more soft.
The borders, some are thinner than others, and they are blocky.
Terrible route lines.
You could change the colour scheme, near continents have alike colours. Those Aleutian islands are an example. Europe and N. Islands too. Anyway, the colours at the legend are pretty different from those on the map.
The green continent is very difficult to understand, I cant see the territories properly. Maybe you can merge some islands.
There is a gray island connected to Jaymyr, whats that?
And sincerely, why a so small map?? Even to the small version, it could be bigger.

As with the map size, it is 600 pixels wide (the max), and 350 pixels in height (again following the guidelines). As with the font, it seems to be a concensus that its horrible, so I will change it. I will try to find a better texture, and colours. The reason that some of the colours on the legend is a bit different from those on the actual continent, is because those colours are hard to see on the blue background. The island attached to Taymyr is part of Nenets, I'll try to make that clearer.

happysadfun wrote: and btw, murmansk is considered scandinavia by most people.

I checked on Wikipedia, it does not say anything about murmansk being scandinavian. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavia If you check near the bottom of the page, where it says "The Nordic Countries vs. Scandinavia," it lists the scandinavian areas. Apparently Iceland and Greenland are a part of scandinavia. Greenland, I know, is traditionally known as North American. I am stuck as to what to do with it, follow tradition, and keep it at it's current continent, or change it to Scandinavia.

It looks like I have work to do.
Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:16 pm
Location: Ottawa
Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (4)
Map Contribution (2)

Postby spiesr on Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:04 pm

I think that the colors should be very light being an arctic map.
User avatar
Captain spiesr
Suggestions Moderator
Suggestions Moderator
 
Posts: 2794
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 10:52 am
Location: South Dakota
Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (5) General Contribution (2)

Postby Bad Speler on Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:09 pm

It makes sense. I'll try implementing the lightest colours I can.
Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:16 pm
Location: Ottawa
Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (4)
Map Contribution (2)

Postby reverend_kyle on Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:31 pm

thats what I tried to do with my antarctica map.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
User avatar
Sergeant reverend_kyle
 
Posts: 9268
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:08 pm
Location: 1000 post club
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Arctic map

Postby Bad Speler on Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:59 pm

Here is an update.

Image

Here are the changes I made:
  1. I got rid of B.C. (it was too small), and added Nenets Island.
  2. Added Iceland to Scandinavia.
  3. Changed all Bonuses accordingly
  4. Change font finally...
  5. Changed texture.
  6. Changed colours, so that bordering continents have similar colours.


It looks a bit crowded, I might shrink the font size.

P.S. Rev Kyle, you can borrow the colours on my map for your Antarctica map.
Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:16 pm
Location: Ottawa
Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (4)
Map Contribution (2)

Postby gavin_sidhu on Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:17 am

...the texture in this edit is horendous. The font aint that much better. U should have added BC to the NW Territories because right now N America is very very linear. i also think N America is worth too much, 4 men for a 5 country continent with 2 borders? Africa in the classic has 6 countries, 3 borders and only 3 reinforcements.
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
User avatar
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu
 
Posts: 1428
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 6:16 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Arctic map

Postby reverend_kyle on Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:00 am

Bad Speler wrote:Here is an update.

Image

Here are the changes I made:
  1. I got rid of B.C. (it was too small), and added Nenets Island.
  2. Added Iceland to Scandinavia.
  3. Changed all Bonuses accordingly
  4. Change font finally...
  5. Changed texture.
  6. Changed colours, so that bordering continents have similar colours.

It looks a bit crowded, I might shrink the font size.

P.S. Rev Kyle, you can borrow the colours on my map for your Antarctica map.


I like the mostly blue thing i have going on..


oh, and I suggest you re draw somethings.. the non to scale ness of great britain.. scandinavia and stuff is driving me nuts.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
User avatar
Sergeant reverend_kyle
 
Posts: 9268
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:08 pm
Location: 1000 post club
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby Bad Speler on Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:09 am

gavin_sidhu wrote:...the texture in this edit is horendous. The font aint that much better. U should have added BC to the NW Territories because right now N America is very very linear. i also think N America is worth too much, 4 men for a 5 country continent with 2 borders? Africa in the classic has 6 countries, 3 borders and only 3 reinforcements.

You missed the Aleutian Islands. With it, its 6 countries and 3 borders. I'll change the texture and font yet again.
reverend kyle wrote:oh, and I suggest you re draw somethings.. the non to scale ness of great britain.. scandinavia and stuff is driving me nuts.

I basically traced it off a map, it should be up to scale.
Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:16 pm
Location: Ottawa
Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (4)
Map Contribution (2)

Postby reverend_kyle on Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:04 am

It could be the angle that you're doing it from but it doesnt look like a very detailed trace.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
User avatar
Sergeant reverend_kyle
 
Posts: 9268
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:08 pm
Location: 1000 post club
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby D.IsleRealBrown on Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:16 am

The entire map is squashed, the Polar Cap looks like shit, and there are no mountains in the Arctic?

How about some icebergs at least?
ImageImageImage
User avatar
Lieutenant D.IsleRealBrown
 
Posts: 668
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:48 pm
Location: Abroad
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby Bad Speler on Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:24 am

When you say no mountains, do you mean uncrossable borders or texture (cant find a better word).
Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:16 pm
Location: Ottawa
Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (4)
Map Contribution (2)

Postby D.IsleRealBrown on Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:36 am

Both.
ImageImageImage
User avatar
Lieutenant D.IsleRealBrown
 
Posts: 668
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:48 pm
Location: Abroad
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby D.IsleRealBrown on Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:50 am

Here's some inspiration.

Image Image

Image

Image


Image

Image

Image
ImageImageImage
User avatar
Lieutenant D.IsleRealBrown
 
Posts: 668
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:48 pm
Location: Abroad
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby Bad Speler on Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:50 am

I get the idea.
Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:16 pm
Location: Ottawa
Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (4)
Map Contribution (2)

Postby Marvaddin on Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:55 am

Friend, you can use a bigger size, we have no maps here with that size, only classic (where names can be under armies, because everyone knows it). Anyway, I use 800x600 resolution, and I need scroll even with classic map, so there is no problem about this.

The font is now readable, but a simple and sad one. Of course, you can find a more beautiful one, and maybe having a bigger size, and changing borders colours from black to gray (for example) can help you.

The texture is even more heavy, maybe you can try something soft.

You still can think about positioning routes and names better. For example, there are routes in strange places, like Chutkotka to Alaska and Victoria to Nunavut. Using a better colour they will be visible, so no need to strange locations. See Madagan name... terrible, Moscow too. The bigger size will help a lot.

And exchange pink and one green continent would be good. The idea is, neighbour continents shouldnt have alike colours.
Image
User avatar
Major Marvaddin
 
Posts: 2545
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:06 pm
Location: Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Map Contribution (3)

Postby Bad Speler on Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:44 am

Marvaddin wrote:Friend, you can use a bigger size, we have no maps here with that size, only classic (where names can be under armies, because everyone knows it). Anyway, I use 800x600 resolution, and I need scroll even with classic map, so there is no problem about this.

The font is now readable, but a simple and sad one. Of course, you can find a more beautiful one, and maybe having a bigger size, and changing borders colours from black to gray (for example) can help you.

The texture is even more heavy, maybe you can try something soft.

You still can think about positioning routes and names better. For example, there are routes in strange places, like Chutkotka to Alaska and Victoria to Nunavut. Using a better colour they will be visible, so no need to strange locations. See Madagan name... terrible, Moscow too. The bigger size will help a lot.

And exchange pink and one green continent would be good. The idea is, neighbour continents shouldnt have alike colours.


600 pixels is the absolute max for small maps. I could expand it up and down, but I dont understand how it could help, without being able to expand left and right. Also now I have one person who is saying bordering continents should be similar in colour, and one person saying they shouldnt. I'll stick with the same colours for now, and might change it later.
Edit: And by the way, the classic map is smaller than mine. So is Asia and Space.
Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:16 pm
Location: Ottawa
Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (4)
Map Contribution (2)

Postby D.IsleRealBrown on Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:38 am

Bad Speler wrote: And by the way, the classic map is smaller than mine. So is Asia and Space.


I'm not sure about that, I think it needs to be at least 200 pixels taller.
ImageImageImage
User avatar
Lieutenant D.IsleRealBrown
 
Posts: 668
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:48 pm
Location: Abroad
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby Bad Speler on Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:07 pm

Alright, Alright I'll make it larger. It seems to be a concensus. And classic map is smaleer, its 325 pixel tall.
Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:16 pm
Location: Ottawa
Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (4)
Map Contribution (2)

Postby gavin_sidhu on Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:09 am

Bad Speler wrote:
gavin_sidhu wrote:...the texture in this edit is horendous. The font aint that much better. U should have added BC to the NW Territories because right now N America is very very linear. i also think N America is worth too much, 4 men for a 5 country continent with 2 borders? Africa in the classic has 6 countries, 3 borders and only 3 reinforcements.

You missed the Aleutian Islands. With it, its 6 countries and 3 borders. I'll change the texture and font yet again.


Sry, ur right, i did miss it. I still think you should have added BC to NW Territories.

Since everyone is going on about the size, why dont you make the map square? Or will that just look real bad?
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
User avatar
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu
 
Posts: 1428
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 6:16 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Postby Bad Speler on Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:43 pm

I have decided to stop being lazy, and get back to work on this map. I have switched drawing programs, and made it bigger as by requests from about 4 months ago. This is why it now looks competely different. Also i have changed the polar ice cap to be something like the seas in the Alexander's Empire map to get rid of the bunches of lines, which stevegriffiths said made the map look messy (i now see how long it has been since ive worked on this map). I will get rid of that black cross in the middle, i just forgot to remove it after using it to mark the north pole.

Image
Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:16 pm
Location: Ottawa
Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (4)
Map Contribution (2)

Postby joeyjordison on Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:08 pm

i like the map. only thing i can see is that in the long term and especially in 3 player games there is a possibility someone could hold purple and green cont together with only 3 borders to defend. just thought i should point this out as i naturally play the game out in my head wen looking at a map. just me bein pocky really. i like it
User avatar
Major joeyjordison
 
Posts: 1170
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:10 am
Medals: 2
Tournament Contribution (2)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Login