Arctic Map [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby millej11 on Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:17 am

It will ber interesting to see what some of the strong holds are. I'm sure no one will be able to hold the ice cap for much longer than as a rout of transportation.
Private millej11

Postby oaktown on Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:16 am

the map looks clean and playable, but other than that why would anyone decide "hey, it'd be fun to play a game in which I take over the arctic circle."

If you could plunge the entire map into darkness for half of the turns, then you'd have something. :)
Captain oaktown

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (12)
General Contribution (5)

Postby gavin_sidhu on Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:17 am

Water isnt very good as andy said.

Think the bonus for Scandnavia is fine, 4 countries and 2 borders is a bonus of 4.

I think you should rename Asian Russia just Asia, as thats what it is. I think you could amalgamate some of your territories in Asian Russia. Madagan should be a part of another territory. Maybe you could make a territory of Hokkaido or Japan in the top left hand corner to get away from all the russian territories (something like half the territories you have are russian).
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby Bad Speler on Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:50 pm

I have changed the ocean, added Hokkaido, merged Madagan with East Sakha, and added army shadows. I have posted two versions, one with a small ice cap, the other with a large ice cap, please tell me which one you like better. The only playability difference is that in the big ice cap version, the North Pole borders Komi.

Small ice cap version:

Big ice cap version:

Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler

Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (4)
Map Contribution (2)

Postby Marvaddin on Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:37 pm

Bad Speler wrote:The only playability difference is that in the big ice cap version, the North Pole borders Komi.

And Yamalia. Anyway, I think we can use the small cao and remove some of those routes.
Major Marvaddin

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Map Contribution (3)

Postby Bad Speler on Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:47 pm

Hmm...missed Yamalia. Anyways, it seems that i can only remove Russian ice to East Sakha route and the North Pole to Elsemere Island Route so i dont hinder movability around the map to much.

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (4)
Map Contribution (2)

Postby DublinDoogey on Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:18 pm

i prefer the big ice cap, it looks more realistic
Cadet DublinDoogey

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)
Map Contribution (1)

Postby Bad Speler on Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:21 pm

and now we have a conflict. I guess i'll run a poll on it and see what people think. Just one question...is there a way to change the poll i have on now or do i have to make another topic to do this?

Map Contribution (2)

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:41 pm

PM a mod (aka me), with the changes you would like made.

As for the small or large...I agree with Dublin, the large looks much more realistic. But if you made the small...less circular...and more...'ice capish'? it might feel real. :)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby gavin_sidhu on Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:09 pm

Link Hokkaido with Kamchatka. big ice cap is much better. Your going to have a north symbol in the centre pointing every way right?
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby Bad Speler on Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:18 pm

gavin_sidhu wrote:Link Hokkaido with Kamchatka. big ice cap is much better. Your going to have a north symbol in the centre pointing every way right?

I'll link them in the next update, and i will have a north symbol eventually...once i can find a good one.

Map Contribution (2)

Postby reverend_kyle on Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:08 am

I like the large ice cap for aformentioned reasons.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby KEYOGI on Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:20 am

Sorry if it's been mentioned, but I feel the N. Islands bonus needs to be increased to 4. I'm not even sure if that is enough, 5 countries with 5 borders!?

I really like the map though, looks great.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Medals: 3
Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby Marvaddin on Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:28 am

4 borders. But, in fact, it would be easily corrected to 3 if we use the small ice cap :wink:
Major Marvaddin

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Map Contribution (3)

Postby reverend_kyle on Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:31 am

Marvaddin wrote:4 borders. But, in fact, it would be easily corrected to 3 if we use the small ice cap :wink:

Then he NEEDS to make it look like an Ice cap.. and get rid of the straight lines on it too.. they loook bloody awful.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas