Conquer Club

Egypt: Upper [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: EGYPT UPPER V4 - Comments needed please.

Postby wcaclimbing on Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:25 pm

edbeard wrote:
wcaclimbing wrote:You might want to clarify gameplay a bit, along the part where the two maps stack up. maybe at the bottom of the left map, you put a "connects to _____" text that helps explain how the gameplay works.

how is it not clear?

he says they stack up. and he says what territory borders what. I don't think you can get more clear than that.

:roll:
I completely missed that part of the map....
never mind. forget my first comment on that. but keep my graphics comment.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby cairnswk on Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:36 am

wcaclimbing wrote:could you put a bit of a shadow behind the map key and pillars?
So it looks like they are in front of the map. right now everything just kinda runs together.

This I can do! ;)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby gimil on Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:45 am

[Adv. Idea]
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby bryguy on Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:37 am

bryguy wrote:ok finally made it over to comment

1) As has been said, the guys on the outside look crappy
2) U cant see the full name of Ab: -bedju on the right side of the map
3) Is this the same type of water your using in lower egypt? if not, could u changet it to the same type?
4) u say that the dows enable passing, but as far as i can tell they are really only for passing at 5 points
5) I like how the arrows r straight curves, but then the arrows between maten and dw-f: per-nemty are not so that throws it off
6) Under bonuses u have mentioned curve like the others, could u either do as i suggested or modify the bonuses arrow to match the said arrow?
7) i noticed that the heiroglyphs are exactly alike on both pillars, maybe make them different?
8) Hopefully more later

*cough cough*
Corporal bryguy

Postby cairnswk on Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:01 am

bryguy wrote:

3) Is this the same type of water your using in lower egypt? if not, could u changet it to the same type?
4) u say that the dows enable passing, but as far as i can tell they are really only for passing at 5 points
5) I like how the arrows r straight curves, but then the arrows between maten and dw-f: per-nemty are not so that throws it off
6) Under bonuses u have mentioned curve like the others, could u either do as i suggested or modify the bonuses arrow to match the said arrow?
7) i noticed that the heiroglyphs are exactly alike on both pillars, maybe make them different?
8) Hopefully more later

*cough cough*

don't worry...haven't forgotten you....i was going to update the map with your suggestions and reply at the same time....but since you "coughed" i think i'll hold off a little longer ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby bryguy on Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:53 am

cairnswk wrote:
bryguy wrote:

8) Hopefully more later

*cough cough*

don't worry...haven't forgotten you....i was going to update the map with your suggestions and reply at the same time....but since you "coughed" i think i'll hold off a little longer ;)

:cry:

eh i need to add more to it anyways soon
Corporal bryguy

Postby Keredrex on Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:10 am

I think thoose columns in the middle could be a bit thinner to make the bonus explanation larger....
The font in the bonus area is Nice but hard to read...
Maybe on the top place the title all the way on the left side and for the two explanations about the dows...Place them on 2 lines to the right of the title...since they refer to each other...
Sergeant 1st Class Keredrex

Postby bryguy on Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:54 am

Keredrex wrote:I think thoose columns in the middle could be a bit thinner to make the bonus explanation larger....
The font in the bonus area is Nice but hard to read...
Maybe on the top place the title all the way on the left side and for the two explanations about the dows...Place them on 2 lines to the right of the title...since they refer to each other...

shoot now i need to find something else to comment on....

edit:

1) What use are the stars for? i suggest either making a bonus for territories with stars or removing them
2) I keep reading the title instead of Upper Egypt as Uppcr Ccypt
3) Could u try using different textures for the different regions?
4) Question, since this is the small, for the large are u gonna have it as 2 sections, 1 for the map/territories and 1 for the bonuses?
5) Is there a region for the : between some words?
6) On that note, is there a reason for some words like Ten:Iunyt to not have a space between the : and Iunyt?
7) Does there have to be a - between Atef and Khent for Atef-Khent? same for Ta-Khentit: Abu
8) Could u move the boat between Ta Khentit: Abu and Ta-Khentit: Nebet over slightly so that its touching Ta-Khentit Nebet more?
9) The symbols on the polls between the territory sections and the bonus section suddenly have slight black lines on them that really annoy me....
Corporal bryguy

Postby Keredrex on Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:37 am

Also You Should be able to get Cleaner, Sharper Images For Those Statues...
Or Draw them In the Same Style As The Map Itself.

Try Making That Map In the center less Clutered... Maybe take away the color or the names and just leave the Bonus value

Postby cairnswk on Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:08 pm

Well...thanks for everyone's comments.
Basically, i am re-doing the entire Egypt series and will even start the Nubian map this weekend, so that I can obtain consistency across all these three maps.
All your comments since this last V4 will be taken into account. Thanks.
Private cairnswk

Postby TaCktiX on Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:34 pm

Looking at Lower Egypt I notice that the Nile looks more realistic than it does in Upper Egypt. Also due to colors and texture, Lower Egypt seems to have more depth than Upper Egypt. Any chance of adding some more bevel and texturing to this map so it's graphically consistent with Lower Egypt?
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Re: EGYPT UPPER V5 - Style added!!!!

Postby cairnswk on Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:26 pm

TaCktiX wrote:Looking at Lower Egypt I notice that the Nile looks more realistic than it does in Upper Egypt. Also due to colors and texture, Lower Egypt seems to have more depth than Upper Egypt. Any chance of adding some more bevel and texturing to this map so it's graphically consistent with Lower Egypt?

I am re-doing all the maps so they are consistent....this Version 5 should be more pleasing to all :)

Changes:
1. Statues are done with appropriate shadows
2. shoadows and lotus fluting pattern given to coluns
3. Fonts changed to be consistent with the Valley of the Kings map
3. Capital Cities no longer exist on map as they are not necessary

bryguy wrote:Maybe on the top place the title all the way on the left side and for the two explanations about the dows...Place them on 2 lines to the right of the title...since they refer to each other...

Mmmmm...still looking into that.

edit:

1) What use are the stars for? i suggest either making a bonus for territories with stars or removing them
2) I keep reading the title instead of Upper Egypt as Uppcr Ccypt

3) Could u try using different textures for the different regions?

no, i would prefer to keep texture consistent across the maps

4) Question, since this is the small, for the large are u gonna have it as 2 sections, 1 for the map/territories and 1 for the bonuses?

2 sections yes.

5) Is there a region for the : between some words?
6) On that note, is there a reason for some words like Ten:Iunyt to not have a space between the : and Iunyt?
7) Does there have to be a - between Atef and Khent for Atef-Khent? same for Ta-Khentit: Abu

Where there is a hyphenated word, that is the natural spelling for that region.
Where there is a : colonised addtion the region comes first : then the city of that region.
This is done so that some regions can have some gameplay across them otherwise this map would be very linear in style being a set of regions stacked upon on another.

8) Could u move the boat between Ta Khentit: Abu and Ta-Khentit: Nebet over slightly so that its touching Ta-Khentit Nebet more?

Done

9) The symbols on the polls between the territory sections and the bonus section suddenly have slight black lines on them that really annoy me.

Fixed.

Keredrex wrote:I think thoose columns in the middle could be a bit thinner to make the bonus explanation larger....

Mmmm...I think this would lose its appeal if those lotus columns were made thinner.

Version 5

Private cairnswk

Re: EGYPT UPPER V5 (P5) - Style added!!!!

Postby t-o-m on Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:57 pm

youve got very bold colours (or more bold/less dim) on the left, but dimmer colours on the right...ment to be that way?
the mini-map in the middle seems to be thinner than the acctaul map - could that cause confusion amongst some users?
or just the thick ones :)
lol
good update, like this map :) =D>
Major t-o-m

Postby TaCktiX on Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:02 pm

Very nice update, and right after I compiled statistics on this map. Punk.

Comments:
- Some text, particularly Wn:Khmun, Herui:Gebtu, Wast: Inerty, and Behde: Edfu have some bad clipping issues that could be resolved by moving th text and the army circle around.
- The Colon in territory names is near-unreadable with the new font, suggest a different separator
- The How Maps Join/borders sections are a little faint, suggest making them as dark as the Dow notes.
- The middle red region of the bonuses seems exaggerated compared to its accompanying continent on the full-scale map.

Postby cairnswk on Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:11 pm

t-o-m wrote:youve got very bold colours (or more bold/less dim) on the left, but dimmer colours on the right...ment to be that way?

I did have different colours previously as you know, and these were for challenging for the colour-blind, but this lot of new colours are cool for them.
the mini-map in the middle seems to be thinner than the acctaul map - could that cause confusion amongst some users?
or just the thick ones :)
lol

t-o-m...i would say that if someone can't identify the bonuses from the thinner map, then they really are thick.
yes it is thinner deliberately because all it has to show is bonuses but un4tunately also has to get squashed into that small space.
good update, like this map :) =D>
TY :)
Private cairnswk

Re: EGYPT UPPER V6 (P5) - Large and Small

Postby cairnswk on Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:42 pm

TaCktiX wrote:Very nice update, and right after I compiled statistics on this map. Punk.

Comments:
- Some text, particularly Wn:Khmun, Herui:Gebtu, Wast: Inerty, and Behde: Edfu have some bad clipping issues that could be resolved by moving th text and the army circle around.

Fixed that with some moving around and artistic license on the river.

- The Colon in territory names is near-unreadable with the new font, suggest a different separator

That is now an underscore.

- The How Maps Join/borders sections are a little faint, suggest making them as dark as the Dow notes.

Gave those a glow same as the tert text

- The middle red region of the bonuses seems exaggerated compared to its accompanying continent on the full-scale map.

Nothing i can do there, as part of that tert in the main map is hidden behind the column, but believe me it is there.

Version 6. Small and Large.
1. Gave the texts a small i px glow for ease of reading.

Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Re: EGYPT UPPER V6 (P5) - Style added w/ Large!!!

Postby TaCktiX on Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:26 pm

The text about map joining is still faint, now even more so. I would say just up the font size by a decimal point or two and re-center, right now it gets washed out by the stroke.

Postby Keredrex on Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:53 am

NICE... Looking Good... Just a thought, with the colors (which are great) being as bold and crisp as they are... you could probably just use a colored box to represent each territory in the bonus legend.
then you could put the continent name and bonus value. And have more space for your info or whatever you want.

Though the 2nd map is great. you really don't need it

Postby cairnswk on Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:11 am

Keredrex wrote:NICE... Looking Good... Just a thought, with the colors (which are great) being as bold and crisp as they are... you could probably just use a colored box to represent each territory in the bonus legend.
then you could put the continent name and bonus value. And have more space for your info or whatever you want.

Though the 2nd map is great. you really don't need it

Thanks Keredrex....are you saying you don't want the mini-map.
Lower Egypt has a mini-map and i was trying to keep the same style going since they are essentially a sequence of three maps.
In discussion, the continents names have become superflous with mini-maps, and there was no real justification for having continent names called after the major greek cities, so they have been dissed in favo-ur of just having a mini-map and bonuses.
Private cairnswk

Postby bryguy on Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:48 am

I have a question, why dont u for the large have it 800px high and put the two halfs of the map on top of/below of each other?
Corporal bryguy

Postby t-o-m on Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:52 am

i like the colours and the sandy texture, but is there ment to be too much glow on one of the terit names, hold on i will just get the name...
EDIT:
Ta Kheniti Abu - or something like that i forgot exactly, its near the bottom right, on the right half but on the left of that half (if you know what i mean :) )
EDIT 2:
why do some of the terit names have a --dash-- in them and some an __underscore__?
is it ment to be like that or am i seeing things?
Major t-o-m

Postby cairnswk on Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:36 pm

bryguy wrote:I have a question, why dont u for the large have it 800px high and put the two halfs of the map on top of/below of each other?

a. because i don't want to
b. it probably still wouldn't fit and be a large version and would be inconsistent with the small version then.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:37 pm

t-o-m wrote:i like the colours and the sandy texture, but is there ment to be too much glow on one of the terit names, hold on i will just get the name...
EDIT:
Ta Kheniti Abu - or something like that i forgot exactly, its near the bottom right, on the right half but on the left of that half (if you know what i mean :) )]/quote]
Thanks for that pipckup. i'll amend in next version.
EDIT 2:
why do some of the terit names have a --dash-- in them and some an __underscore__?
is it ment to be like that or am i seeing things?

please read the thread from the top of this page.
Private cairnswk

Postby gimil on Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:33 pm

One point, can you include size dimensions of your images in the first post? I think oaktowns wanting people to start doing this nd we may add it to the handbook :)

Thats buddy.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Re: EGYPT UPPER V7

Postby cairnswk on Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:25 pm

gimil wrote:Image

One point, can you include size dimensions of your images in the first post? I think oaktowns wanting people to start doing this nd we may add it to the handbook :)

Thats buddy.

Thanks Gimil...will do! althought throughout development my maps tend to change size sometimes, so beware.

Below is V7....bringing the tert fonts in line with the lower egypt and other egypt maps.

Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas