Egypt: Upper [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: EGYPT UPPER V2 - Part of Egypt Quadtych

Postby onbekende on Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:59 am

hi again Cairnswk!

I can agree with the bonusses, seeing as this will become a 1 vs. 1 fight rather quickly (left vs. right :D)

Some comments:
I guess Anubis owns the middle island part, thou Anubis then has 2 army shades!
Or name "Wast: Luxor" Thebes or rename the continent Luxor?

nothing more I can add, thou some better recognition is needed for people who can't follow the logic of north to south that the bonus legend is :D
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Sergeant 1st Class onbekende

Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (2)

Re: EGYPT UPPER V2 - Part of Egypt Quadtych

Postby cairnswk on Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:33 am

Version 3.

Changes:
1. I made the territory borders thicker.
2. there is notation in the legend on how the maps join.
I know it is difficult for some people to put one and one together, but please do try. ;)
3. changed the text to black font in order for better legibilty

Private cairnswk

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Re: EGYPT UPPER V3 - Part of Egypt Quadtych

Postby RjBeals on Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:47 am

cairnswk wrote:I know it is difficult for some people to put one and one together, but please do try.

I am trying. But you've confused me even more. See the connectors I've added to your map below. Is this right?

Private RjBeals

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
General Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Postby cairnswk on Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:33 pm

RjBeals wrote:
cairnswk wrote:I know it is difficult for some people to put one and one together, but please do try.

I am trying. But you've confused me even more. See the connectors I've added to your map below. Is this right?

yes but i wasn't refering 2 u specifically....i was refering to the general populous...sometimes i think some out there are pretty ?....well you know.

this is the only way I know how to do such an elongated map....without turning it on its side.
Private cairnswk

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby RjBeals on Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:54 pm

Ahh... When you said "Left map sits on top of Right map" that is what confused me. I was thinking that it was like a 2nd layer "on top of" the first layer, like a downstairs and upstairs.

This makes more sense to me now, and now I can see why the arrows are pointing to where they are... (Sorry it took me so long to get that).
Private RjBeals

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby t-o-m on Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:47 pm

lol

cairns - are you going to use the new "[bigIMG]" codes?
Colonel t-o-m

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby cairnswk on Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:32 pm

t-o-m wrote:lol

yes...but i don't know if that will allow us to use this facility in the map play area. I';ll check it out.

I think one only needs to use this on the large versions in Firefox.
I ruin both FF and IE, and it certainly doesn't work in IE7.
As for the map play situation, this facility does not apply there so there is no change to map size (for play) restrictions.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:01 pm

RjBeals wrote:This makes more sense to me now, and now I can see why the arrows are pointing to where they are... (Sorry it took me so long to get that).

Rj....no worries, sometimes some things just don't click straight away. If i had the option of doing the map any other way, i would, but as you can see it is a large long map.
Private cairnswk

Postby t-o-m on Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:19 pm

cairnswk wrote:

yes...but i don't know if that will allow us to use this facility in the map play area. I';ll check it out.

what is this map play area?
Colonel t-o-m

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby cairnswk on Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:44 pm

t-o-m wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

what is this map play area?

my reference to the map play area simply is the screen area when you have a map in play.
This is different from the forum than we are in now.
While the menu system is on the left side in both screens, the map play area has all those players gadgets on it....you know what i mean! The MY GAMES screen
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:45 pm

RjBeals wrote:Ahh... When you said "Left map sits on top of Right map" that is what confused me. I was thinking that it was like a 2nd layer "on top of" the first layer, like a downstairs and upstairs.

This makes more sense to me now, and now I can see why the arrows are pointing to where they are... (Sorry it took me so long to get that).

Would this image design work better for everyone?

Private cairnswk

Postby RjBeals on Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:18 pm

You don't need to shout! :o

Well.. It's hard to say. I prefer the previous version to this one, but only because I understand the attack routes now. If I (me personally) looked at this map for the first time, this version would clear up any confusion I had about the "on top of" verbiage. I take it though if you continued with the bonus structure between the columns, that you would remove the step area on the bottom. That really serves no purpose now.

But I wish others would chime in. I'm surprised you've had this map out a few days now and you have such little feedback. Maybe folks are confusing this with Lower Egypt? But that's life in the foundry.

I do like the graphics and overall style you have here. Fonts are fine. I know you said you will redo the statues on the sides. Sorry about the attack route confusion. Let's see what others have to say.
Private RjBeals

Postby cairnswk on Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:33 pm

RjBeals wrote:You don't need to shout! :o

Sorry I wasn't meaning to shout, just to make it obvious what i was asking...i thought shouting was in all caps ;)

Well.. It's hard to say. I prefer the previous version to this one, but only because I understand the attack routes now. If I (me personally) looked at this map for the first time, this version would clear up any confusion I had about the "on top of" verbiage. I take it though if you continued with the bonus structure between the columns, that you would remove the step area on the bottom. That really serves no purpose now.

yes the steps would be removed and statues moved up.

But I wish others would chime in. I'm surprised you've had this map out a few days now and you have such little feedback. Maybe folks are confusing this with Lower Egypt? But that's life in the foundry.

yes me too, even though both are in my signature and we aren't allowed to advertise in the GD forum anymore. :(

I do like the graphics and overall style you have here. Fonts are fine. I know you said you will redo the statues on the sides. Sorry about the attack route confusion. Let's see what others have to say.

wonderbar...thanks for that RJ....i was concerned that if a mapmaker like yourself was confused, then what would others be like!
Private cairnswk

Re: EGYPT UPPER V4 - Part of Egypt Quadtych

Postby cairnswk on Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:21 am

Version 4

Changes:
1. removed 2 steps.
2. Changed bonus legend title
3. tidied mini-map
4. changed left side attack routes from one to two.
5. changed bonuses

Private cairnswk

Postby t-o-m on Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:28 am

do the boats accross the river nile link terits?

sorry if this has been asked before
Colonel t-o-m

Postby cairnswk on Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:24 pm

t-o-m wrote:do the boats accross the river nile link terits?

sorry if this has been asked before

Sorry t-o-m, but doesn't the legend say Dows enable crossing of the Nile, therefore one might assume that if you cross the NIle at these points then Yes, it would links terits.

Current version 4
Private cairnswk

Postby t-o-m on Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:52 am

lol sorry cairns

this map is appealing to me more by the day, by next week i'll like it, me thinks
Colonel t-o-m

Postby cairnswk on Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:09 am

t-o-m wrote:lol sorry cairns

this map is appealing to me more by the day, by next week i'll like it, me thinks

Thanks t-o-m, but what's there to be sorry about....i think we are both heading in the right direction aren't we?
i'm improving the map and your growing to like it, that's gotta be positive. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby t-o-m on Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:35 am

cairnswk wrote:

Thanks t-o-m, but what's there to be sorry about....i think we are both heading in the right direction aren't we?

yupp

the maps lookin good, i acctually want to play it now lol

and i was saying sorry because i said something about the boats connecting the terits, but its in the legend/key
Colonel t-o-m

Postby cairnswk on Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:49 am

t-o-m wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

yupp

the maps lookin good, i acctually want to play it now lol

and i was saying sorry because i said something about the boats connecting the terits, but its in the legend/key

Oh! :) No worries.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:32 pm

More comments?
Private cairnswk

Re: EGYPT UPPER V4 - Comments - Voting closes soon

Postby TaCktiX on Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:36 pm

I like the bonus change so that it's between the two halves. It's still very readable and adds a little flavor to the pillars present, as if they're containing something.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (6)

Re: EGYPT UPPER V4 - Comments - Voting closes soon

Postby cairnswk on Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:23 pm

common peoples....i need support on this map to get it through as part of a quadtych for the egypt series.

even suggestions would be helpful support
Private cairnswk

Re: EGYPT UPPER V4 - Comments needed please.

Postby RjBeals on Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:48 pm

are you working on the statue graphics (both on the far right & left of the map)? They look pretty bad. You would be better off to draw your own.
Private RjBeals

Re: EGYPT UPPER V4 - Comments needed please.

Postby TaCktiX on Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:50 pm

RjBeals wrote:are you working on the statue graphics (both on the far right & left of the map)? They look pretty bad. You would be better off to draw your own.

I think I mentioned this earlier cairns, and you shrugged it off. :P
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (6)

Next

Return to The Atlas