Madagascar [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Madagascar - New Map

Postby t-o-m on Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:32 pm

i know what you mean by the bevel - for some reason it chages all of the layers and not just that one i have selected (when adding a bevel or something)
anyway ive got an updated version here:
Click image to enlarge.

i will tone down the layer effects next time i edit it,
-
sorry i havnt really addressed your points - im in a rush,
-
things to-do (in breif)
fix colours
kayer effects tone down
many more...(in a rush)
Colonel t-o-m

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Madagascar - Version 2-Pages 1 & 2

Postby TaCktiX on Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:04 pm

Make the entire continent bigger, your names are way too long for the territories right now, and you have space.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (6)

Re: Madagascar - Version 2-Pages 1 & 2

Postby t-o-m on Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:08 pm

ok ill enlarge it on my next update, the names are really long lol
Atsimo-Atsinanana
i was using 4.5pt, and on some much larger names/smaller terits 4pt,
but yea ill make it bigger -
do you think it needs more rotating?
Colonel t-o-m

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Madagascar UPDATED TODAY- Version 2-Pages 1 & 2

Postby t-o-m on Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:44 pm

Update: Version 2.5

ive enlarged the whole cont (thanks tack) and it looks better now,
updated the legend, havnt altered the text but i will on the next update.
well here it is
Version 2.5:
Click image to enlarge.
Colonel t-o-m

Re: Madagascar UPDATED JUST NOW- Version 2.5-Pages 1 & 2

Postby ZeakCytho on Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:59 pm

I don't like the exclamation point at the end of the title. I also don't like how the title is vertical. Furthermore, you have a lot of empty space at the bottom right. So here's a solution that fixes a bunch of things: move the legend as a separate box into the bottom right corner and make the title horizontal in the top left. If this leaves you with too much blank room in the top left, put a compass rose or something there.

Now, I'm not crazy about the pattern on the back of the title/legend, but if you don't have anything else, then I guess it could stay.

For the legend, you didn't leave yourself any room to give the bonus number. If you use my idea of moving it to the bottom right, you could stack all six provinces vertically and have the bonus next to it, rather than have two columns of three. This might require shrinking the font a bit. Also, since all of the continents are "_______ province", you could title the Legend "Provinces" and then just list the first part ("Antaananarivo, Fianarantsoa, etc.)

Fonts: some of your territory names have different sized fonts. If you can't fit the larger size into certain territories, then make them all small. It's very distracting to have different sizes when they mean the same thing. In addition to that, I think the font you have for territory names right now is very bland. Is there anything more interesting that is still legible that you could use? San-serif is definitely the way to go for this map, though.

Nice work so far :)
Captain ZeakCytho

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby t-o-m on Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:24 pm

yea the legend was done at last minute,
the reason why there is an empty space on the bottom left and no bonus numbers was because i was considering putting a mini-map there, but i dont think it will work for this kind of map (dont know why)
the title - sure it can change,
as i said ive not put much time into the terit text - havnt chenged it since the previous version, but that will definitely change - ill also try san-serif
ZeakCytho wrote:Now, I'm not crazy about the pattern on the back of the title/legend, but if you don't have anything else, then I guess it could stay.

hmm - i picked that in a couple a mins, 'coz at the time i was thinking of a sort of animal theme, but i dont think ill go for that now,
there are highlands in madagascar running vertically down on the right, where the conts. boarder - do you think i should add that as an impassable?
and i like your idea of the "Provinces" - thats a good'en :D
lol - when i next have the PS up (otehr than 1.30AM in the morning) i will edit it :D
thanks for your suggestions,
Colonel t-o-m

Postby Unit_2 on Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:00 pm

T-o-m, mayeb ask either Gimil or Cairswk(or if you want to do it your self) to add some forest and make it more "Madagascar" themed.
Private 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby t-o-m on Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:19 am

Unit_2 wrote:T-o-m, mayeb ask either Gimil or Cairswk(or if you want to do it your self) to add some forest and make it more "Madagascar" themed.

yea ive been trying to put a theme in and add other things like that in, but i dont know how to do it -
and why only cairns or gimil?
and does anyone have a good way of doing mountains?
Colonel t-o-m

Re: Madagascar Version 3

Postby t-o-m on Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:53 am

Here Version 3:
Click image to enlarge.

ive done that province thing Z and it looks good i think, maybe theres a lil bit too much bevel on the "Madagascar" title??
ive added army circles, re-done the terit names - although its not san-serif (for some reason i dont have it on my photoshop!) but ive picked another font instead, i think the font sizes fit in fairly well, not too much 'squishyness', i havnt put the bonuses in, whered you think i should add them?
mini-map or...?
Tack i also made the entire country bigger - looks better thanks :)
Colonel t-o-m

Re: Madagascar Version3 Pages 1&2

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:00 am

I meant a sans-serif font, not necessarily the standard MS Sans-Serif. Sans-Serif fonts are ones without sticks and bars (serifs) at the corners/edges of letters. Compare Arial (sans-serif) to Times New Roman (serif) and you'll see what I mean. Serifs make the font look much more formal.

I like this font you've chosen, but the territory names look a bit blurry. Is the opacity on that layer turned down a bit? If not, I'm not sure what's causing the blurriness.

The font for the word "Provinces" should be changed to something less rigid.

I would reduce the bevel on the title.

The top left corner of the map (below the title and your signature) looks a bit sparse. I'm thinking you should add something like a compass rose (remember to rotate it the same amount that you rotated your image). This could be done in a Madagascaran (is that a word?) style. Or maybe scratch the compass rose and just put in a Madagascar-like image?

Still need to work on the impassables.

For bonuses, I think you can move each province name up a few pixels on its color splash and put the bonus right under it, on the color splash. You could also move the splashes a bit farther apart; you've got unused room near the bottom of the legend box.
Captain ZeakCytho

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Re: Madagascar Version3 Pages 1&2

Postby t-o-m on Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:32 pm

thanks Z,
here the updated version
-
Version 3.4:
Click image to enlarge.

ive added the compass rose - i made it lol - i changed the title font of "Provinces", i moved the colours corospondance on the legend, and some other things, cant really remember what else - but i think i did most of what you suggested Z,
soon i will add mountains and trees/forests
EDIT:
oh yea i altered the glow on the terit names in an atempt to make it less blurey, i changed the type or glow it was, i cant remember exactly but i changed it to precise and turned the ocpacity up a lil bit
Colonel t-o-m

Re: Madagascar -UPDATE- Version3.4 Pages 1&2

Postby lord voldemort on Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:56 pm

gameplay wise you need some un-passables or something
that and it needs something else gameplay wise to appeal to me
its just a peice of land. small and stuff
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Medals: 66
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (13) Tournament Contribution (8) General Contribution (3)

Postby t-o-m on Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:00 pm

yea immpassables are in the works, i am hoping to include some of their culture and trees and stuff aswel - when i get round to it :)
Colonel t-o-m

Postby jako on Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:26 pm

nice going so far t-o-m. i would replace the compass with a Madagascar pic. a title compass just looks out of place considering the entire country is not at the correct angle anyways.

u mentioned where u were suppose to put the cont bonuses, for now dont worry about that as u still have to figure out impassables which will radically alter bonus and gameplay anyways, so why bother right now.

no comment from me, graphics-wise, dont really know any of that stuff, but have u thought about adding some gameplay features that will make the map not so linear. right now, if ur placed mostly to the south, there is no way for u to attack the north other than to go through the entire continent. so while ur thinking about impassables, try coming up with sea routes or ports that will connect the south to the north to enhance gameplay and not make it so dull. :D

keep up the great work, man.

Time to retire this much loved sig of mine with a new clan.
Lieutenant jako

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)

Postby t-o-m on Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:57 pm

cheers jako,
the immpassables are going to be along the right hand side-ish; here:
Description of where they will be:h
theres mountains along the right hand side of madagascar one terit in from the right, thats where they'll be
-
im just waiting to get some mountains help
-
the compass - dont really mind about that, although madagascar has been rotated like that
Colonel t-o-m

Re: Madagascar -UPDATE- Version4 Pages 1&2 IMMPASSABLES ADDED

Postby t-o-m on Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:17 am

ok heres version 4,
Click image to enlarge.

i added immpassables - mountains and forests (its the first time ive made 'em so go easy ;) lol)
i also added a lil bit of bevel to the compass rose - so hopefully it looks more realistic,
-
what do people think?
any comments on what bonuses you think there should be?
Colonel t-o-m

Re: Madagascar -UPDATE- Version4 Pages 1&3 IMMPASSABLES ADDED

Postby cena-rules on Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:22 am

The mountains look like simple lines but the forests are ok.
19:41:22 ‹jakewilliams› I was a pedo
Lieutenant cena-rules

Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Postby t-o-m on Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:32 am

thanks, yea the mountains need work - as i said never done em before lol
thanks
Colonel t-o-m

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:21 am

Hi Tom.

The yellow looks a bit too bright in my opinion. Maybe you could tone it down a bit? Even the army shadows are a bit lost on that background.

I also don't like the background of the title text and edges of the biscuit like thing! Hehe it reminds me of the Plasmon biscuits they give to little kids and babies. :)

Keep up the good work.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Postby t-o-m on Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:34 am

Ruben Cassar wrote:Hi Tom.

hi :D
Ruben Cassar wrote:The yellow looks a bit too bright in my opinion. Maybe you could tone it down a bit?

thats what i was thinking when i first did that - but then no1 commented on it so i kinda forgot about that
Ruben Cassar wrote:Even the army shadows are a bit lost on that background.

yea i saw that, that will change
Ruben Cassar wrote:I also don't like the background of the title text and edges of the biscuit like thing! Hehe it reminds me of the Plasmon biscuits they give to little kids and babies. :)

lmao - no i dont know what you mean by that - funny story though,
i think i will try somethings different with the title and things
Ruben Cassar wrote:Keep up the good work.

cheers,
-
d'you think i should make the yellow darkers, or just take some of the colour out of the yellow?
Colonel t-o-m

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:42 am

Tom this is a Plasmon biscuit. :)

About the yellow colour region why not try adding some opacity to it or applying a filter to see how it looks?
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Postby TaCktiX on Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:52 am

Gameplay-wise, the yellow and green continents are very open. Is there any chance of adding some impassables to their left sides? I noticed the use of trees in certain areas, so I suppose there's a game preserve in that area to help you out. ;)
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (6)

Postby jiminski on Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:54 pm

Nice map.. needs more Lemurs!
Major jiminski

Medals: 29
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (2)

Postby ZeakCytho on Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:30 pm

I think both the mountain and jungle impassables need major work.

The compass rose really pops out - I'd make it much less opaque so it blends into the ocean. Also, the N, E, and S letters are not properly rotated or aligned with the actual direction. W seems fine.

I think the ocean could use more work too. It's very flat right now. I'd make it darker and, if possible, create a sense of depth to it.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby t-o-m on Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:33 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:Tom this is a Plasmon biscuit. :)

lmao
Ruben Cassar wrote:About the yellow colour region why not try adding some opacity to it or applying a filter to see how it looks?

ill try that
TaCktiX wrote:Gameplay-wise, the yellow and green continents are very open.

yea i aggree
TaCktiX wrote:Is there any chance of adding some impassables to their left sides?

sure thing :)
TaCktiX wrote:I noticed the use of trees in certain areas, so I suppose there's a game preserve in that area to help you out. ;)

its not really game reserve, its more of acctaul forest/tree areas - but the same principle lol
jiminski wrote:Nice map.. needs more Lemurs!

lol, i might try that ;) just for youu lol
ZeakCytho wrote:I think both the mountain and jungle impassables need major work.

mountains yea sure, jungle i didnt think was so bad is it? i can always make another one but i didnt think that the jungle one was that much of a problem???
ZeakCytho wrote:The compass rose really pops out - I'd make it much less opaque so it blends into the ocean.

ok, maybe i could try sort of fading it into the ocean by trying a colour/gradiant overlay at a very low ocpacity? what ya think of that?
ZeakCytho wrote:Also, the N, E, and S letters are not properly rotated or aligned with the actual direction. W seems fine.

mmm - ill get onto that,
the "W" seems fine coz its italic i think :)
ZeakCytho wrote:I think the ocean could use more work too. It's very flat right now. I'd make it darker and, if possible, create a sense of depth to it.

darker yes,
do you think that a pattern would do it? with a lil bit more depth in it? would that help or make it look stupid?
---
ill try and include all of these in my next update - hopefully soon :)
thanks very much for all of your suggestions :D
Colonel t-o-m

Next

Return to The Atlas