Madagascar [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Madagascar -UPDATE- Version4 Pages 1&2 IMMPASSABLES ADDED

Postby t-o-m on Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:17 am

ok heres version 4,
Click image to enlarge.

i added immpassables - mountains and forests (its the first time ive made 'em so go easy ;) lol)
i also added a lil bit of bevel to the compass rose - so hopefully it looks more realistic,
-
what do people think?
any comments on what bonuses you think there should be?
Colonel t-o-m

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Madagascar -UPDATE- Version4 Pages 1&3 IMMPASSABLES ADDED

Postby cena-rules on Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:22 am

The mountains look like simple lines but the forests are ok.
19:41:22 ‹jakewilliams› I was a pedo
Lieutenant cena-rules

Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Postby t-o-m on Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:32 am

thanks, yea the mountains need work - as i said never done em before lol
thanks
Colonel t-o-m

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:21 am

Hi Tom.

The yellow looks a bit too bright in my opinion. Maybe you could tone it down a bit? Even the army shadows are a bit lost on that background.

I also don't like the background of the title text and edges of the biscuit like thing! Hehe it reminds me of the Plasmon biscuits they give to little kids and babies. :)

Keep up the good work.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Postby t-o-m on Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:34 am

Ruben Cassar wrote:Hi Tom.

hi :D
Ruben Cassar wrote:The yellow looks a bit too bright in my opinion. Maybe you could tone it down a bit?

thats what i was thinking when i first did that - but then no1 commented on it so i kinda forgot about that
Ruben Cassar wrote:Even the army shadows are a bit lost on that background.

yea i saw that, that will change
Ruben Cassar wrote:I also don't like the background of the title text and edges of the biscuit like thing! Hehe it reminds me of the Plasmon biscuits they give to little kids and babies. :)

lmao - no i dont know what you mean by that - funny story though,
i think i will try somethings different with the title and things
Ruben Cassar wrote:Keep up the good work.

cheers,
-
d'you think i should make the yellow darkers, or just take some of the colour out of the yellow?
Colonel t-o-m

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:42 am

Tom this is a Plasmon biscuit. :)

About the yellow colour region why not try adding some opacity to it or applying a filter to see how it looks?
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Postby TaCktiX on Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:52 am

Gameplay-wise, the yellow and green continents are very open. Is there any chance of adding some impassables to their left sides? I noticed the use of trees in certain areas, so I suppose there's a game preserve in that area to help you out. ;)
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (4)
General Contribution (6)

Postby jiminski on Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:54 pm

Nice map.. needs more Lemurs!
Colonel jiminski

Medals: 29
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (2)

Postby ZeakCytho on Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:30 pm

I think both the mountain and jungle impassables need major work.

The compass rose really pops out - I'd make it much less opaque so it blends into the ocean. Also, the N, E, and S letters are not properly rotated or aligned with the actual direction. W seems fine.

I think the ocean could use more work too. It's very flat right now. I'd make it darker and, if possible, create a sense of depth to it.
Captain ZeakCytho

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby t-o-m on Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:33 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:Tom this is a Plasmon biscuit. :)

lmao
Ruben Cassar wrote:About the yellow colour region why not try adding some opacity to it or applying a filter to see how it looks?

ill try that
TaCktiX wrote:Gameplay-wise, the yellow and green continents are very open.

yea i aggree
TaCktiX wrote:Is there any chance of adding some impassables to their left sides?

sure thing :)
TaCktiX wrote:I noticed the use of trees in certain areas, so I suppose there's a game preserve in that area to help you out. ;)

its not really game reserve, its more of acctaul forest/tree areas - but the same principle lol
jiminski wrote:Nice map.. needs more Lemurs!

lol, i might try that ;) just for youu lol
ZeakCytho wrote:I think both the mountain and jungle impassables need major work.

mountains yea sure, jungle i didnt think was so bad is it? i can always make another one but i didnt think that the jungle one was that much of a problem???
ZeakCytho wrote:The compass rose really pops out - I'd make it much less opaque so it blends into the ocean.

ok, maybe i could try sort of fading it into the ocean by trying a colour/gradiant overlay at a very low ocpacity? what ya think of that?
ZeakCytho wrote:Also, the N, E, and S letters are not properly rotated or aligned with the actual direction. W seems fine.

mmm - ill get onto that,
the "W" seems fine coz its italic i think :)
ZeakCytho wrote:I think the ocean could use more work too. It's very flat right now. I'd make it darker and, if possible, create a sense of depth to it.

darker yes,
do you think that a pattern would do it? with a lil bit more depth in it? would that help or make it look stupid?
---
ill try and include all of these in my next update - hopefully soon :)
thanks very much for all of your suggestions :D
Colonel t-o-m

Postby ZeakCytho on Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:38 pm

t-o-m wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:I think both the mountain and jungle impassables need major work.

mountains yea sure, jungle i didnt think was so bad is it? i can always make another one but i didnt think that the jungle one was that much of a problem???

I don't like the trees very much. They're just sticks with circles on them and don't seem to convey the spirit of the jungle of Madgascar at all. Also, they're not very pretty to look at.

t-o-m wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:The compass rose really pops out - I'd make it much less opaque so it blends into the ocean.

ok, maybe i could try sort of fading it into the ocean by trying a colour/gradiant overlay at a very low ocpacity? what ya think of that?

Just setting the compass to a lower opacity (maybe 50%?) should solve the problem. A color overlay could work too, but it might not be necessary.

t-o-m wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:I think the ocean could use more work too. It's very flat right now. I'd make it darker and, if possible, create a sense of depth to it.

darker yes,
do you think that a pattern would do it? with a lil bit more depth in it? would that help or make it look stupid?

If the pattern is at a very low opacity, it could be good. If it's too strong, then it might just look stupid ;)
It's hard to say without actually seeing it, though.
Captain ZeakCytho

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby t-o-m on Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:42 pm

thanks Zeak - i would quote you but i just did loads of that lol so ill just say things randomly ;) :
the trees - yea i see ur point - 1st time ive done them so i did lolly pop trees lol
compass ocpacity lowered - yea ok ill try that
pattern - i will try that aswel - low ocpacity ;)
thanks Zeak
--
i might update it now - but ive just got in and its 10.40pm so i probably wil do it later on, like in a couple a hours - check back then :)
thanks again :)
Colonel t-o-m

Postby t-o-m on Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:57 pm

ok here we go, the sea isnt very dark - i tried but ive got a thing about lightness lol
Version 4.5:
Click image to enlarge.
Colonel t-o-m

Re: Madagascar -UPDATE- Version4.5 Pages 1&3 IMMPASSABLES ADDED

Postby rocky mountain on Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:24 pm

as for bonuses, i think:
    Antananarivo-2
    Toamasina-2
    Fianarantsoa-3
    Toliara-4
    Antsiranana-1
    Mahajanga-3

of course i'm no expert cartographer, so...
best: place 2349; points 1617; GP 216; GW 102(47%); Lieutenant
Sergeant 1st Class rocky mountain

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (2)

Re: Madagascar -UPDATE- Version4.5 Pages 1&3 IMMPASSABLES ADDED

Postby hadati on Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:50 am

use the exel tool in map making tools for bonuses
Cadet hadati

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas