Luxembourg [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Luxembourg - New Update on pages 1 and 6 [I]

Postby Ruben Cassar on Wed May 07, 2008 3:26 am

oaktown wrote:Two in the Main, Ruben? You've been busy lately!

As this is my first real look at this, I'm going to throw a lot at you - apologies if some of my comments have been covered.

I have two issues with the beveling between the regions, which I see has already been questioned. The first is that some of the territory borders that collide with the region borders bleed over into the beveling while others do not. The second issue is that I think a bevel or shadow looks best when you're trying to give the impression that something is three dimensional, which is not what you are trying to do here. If the borders were river valleys the bevel would make perfect sense, otherwise not. Plus, to me they look like impassables.

Color scheme: makes me think that this is Luxembourg in an ice age, when really Lux' has a marine climate with warm summers and relatively mild winters. If you incorporated some red in the region colors, it would nicely mirror the colors of the flag.

Bonuses: correct me if I'm wrong, but on a small map I think you need to be extra careful with the bonuses. In a two or three player game (which you'll have a lot of on a small, quick map), whoever goes first will most likely be just one territory away from capturing a +3 bonus, which will mean the game is all but over after round two if the bonus holds. Doodle is wildly popular, and I think is a good example of solid bonus assignment on a smallmap. The only three territory region is a +2, while the +3 regions are four- and five territory regions with three borders each.

The presence of three easy to capture, +3 bonuses also makes the Luxembourg city bonus moot. Why waste armies hitting a neutral for a +1 when I can hit one enemy territory and obtain a +3 region? I'd drop all of the three territory regions down to a +2, max.

And why is everybody beveling around the outside of their maps these days? This, India, etc. Makes it look like the entire country has sunk, which would be fine if this was a Holland map. ;)


I have a third one in the map ideas, maybe I'll manage to quench one out of three someday. :)

The colour scheme and the bevelling are two aspects of this map which I really do not want to change. Changing those would mean changing the direction I wanted to give to this map from the start. I really would like to keep that format for this map. I am sure that some will like it while others won't, but as the map maker I would like to stick with those if I can make this one decision. I know that for some of you the blue colour scheme is associated with cold but I just find it pleasing on the eye, not necessarily associated with coldness.

About the bonuses...you are probably right on this issue now that I look closer at it. Perhaps I should drop all the 3 territory regions to +2. If I do that however, shouldn't I drop the 4 territory region to +3 as well?

Thanks for your comments.
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Colonel Ruben Cassar
 
Posts: 2160
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:04 am
Location: Civitas Invicta, Melita, Evropa
Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Re: Luxembourg - Vote in Poll - New Update on pages 1 and 6

Postby fireedud on Wed May 07, 2008 7:34 pm

fireedud wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:
fireedud wrote:In the legend you have written Luxembourg city and its surroundings, is surroundings what it will be called in the XML? If not, you may want to rename it.


Thanks but I am not an XML expert so I don't really know what you mean, but I will talk to Yeti about that when the time comes and if there's a problem we'll fix it.

I will worry about the XML later, probably the last thing after graphics and gameplay...let's get the idea approved first!


I mean in the game log, what will the continent be called? Will it be called Luxembourg city's surroundings?

Also the way you have it written in the minimap, it sounds like you have to own Luxembourg City in conjunction with its surroundings to get the +4.
me have no sig
Cook fireedud
 
Posts: 1704
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:06 pm
Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Re: Luxembourg - Vote in Poll - New Update on pages 1 and 6

Postby Ruben Cassar on Wed May 07, 2008 7:47 pm

fireedud wrote:I mean in the game log, what will the continent be called? Will it be called Luxembourg city's surroundings?


I don't know yet. If it's such a problem I can always resort to calling that region Lëtzebuerg as it is referred to in Luxembourgish.

Actually the state is called Luxembourg (Grand Duchy of), the region is called Luxembourg and the city is called Luxembourg as well. Quite confusing...
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Colonel Ruben Cassar
 
Posts: 2160
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:04 am
Location: Civitas Invicta, Melita, Evropa
Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Re: Luxembourg - Vote in Poll - New Update on pages 1 and 6

Postby fireedud on Sat May 10, 2008 9:22 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:
fireedud wrote:I mean in the game log, what will the continent be called? Will it be called Luxembourg city's surroundings?


I don't know yet. If it's such a problem I can always resort to calling that region Lëtzebuerg as it is referred to in Luxembourgish.

Actually the state is called Luxembourg (Grand Duchy of), the region is called Luxembourg and the city is called Luxembourg as well. Quite confusing...



Yes it is.
me have no sig
Cook fireedud
 
Posts: 1704
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:06 pm
Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Re: Luxembourg - Map on pages 1 and 8 - Updated: 12.05.08 [I]

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon May 12, 2008 9:43 am

Version 1.10 - New bonuses, region renamed to Lëtzebuerg, new title and minor graphical refinements
Click image to enlarge.
image


oaktown maybe you can let me know if you think the bonuses are right this time?
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Colonel Ruben Cassar
 
Posts: 2160
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:04 am
Location: Civitas Invicta, Melita, Evropa
Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Re: Luxembourg - Map on pages 1 and 8 - Updated: 12.05.08 [I]

Postby RjBeals on Mon May 12, 2008 9:56 am

Looks good to me Ruben. Have you considered adding anything to the non-playable map areas, instead of solid colors? No need, just thought I would add. I really like this map a lot. It will be a great speed game map!
Image
User avatar
Private RjBeals
 
Posts: 2500
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:17 pm
Location: South Carolina, USA
Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
General Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Re: Luxembourg - Map on pages 1 and 8 - Updated: 12.05.08 [I]

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon May 12, 2008 2:16 pm

RjBeals wrote:Looks good to me Ruben. Have you considered adding anything to the non-playable map areas, instead of solid colors? No need, just thought I would add. I really like this map a lot. It will be a great speed game map!


Yes, I considered it but I preferred to keep the focus on the playable area which is Luxembourg. The bordering states don't really matter so I did not want to detract from the attention on Luxembourg.

Thanks RJ. I am glad you like the map. Hope it will be fun to play on from a gameplay perspective as well.
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Colonel Ruben Cassar
 
Posts: 2160
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:04 am
Location: Civitas Invicta, Melita, Evropa
Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Re: Luxembourg - Map on pages 1 and 8 - Updated: 12.05.08 [I]

Postby RjBeals on Mon May 12, 2008 2:37 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:Thanks RJ. I am glad you like the map. Hope it will be fun to play on from a gameplay perspective as well.


Honestly, I think gameplay looks great. Simple, Straightforward and Fun. In fact - I think this is ready for a sticky. The more I look, the more I would suggest keeping the solid colors on the background areas. The colors are soft enough and tie in perfectly with the tone of the map. Any kind of pattern would be too much. Your bonus amounts look good. Your territories are split out nicely. Gameplay looks really fun to me. I don't think there's much more I can comment on. Great work Ruben.
Image
User avatar
Private RjBeals
 
Posts: 2500
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:17 pm
Location: South Carolina, USA
Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
General Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Re: Luxembourg - Map on pages 1 and 8 - Updated: 12.05.08 [I]

Postby ZeakCytho on Mon May 12, 2008 2:45 pm

Is it just me or is the bevel on Terres Rouges higher than on the other continents?

I think something more could be done with the flags in Belgium, Germany, and France. Even faded as they are they look like they were just thrown in. Maybe if you make them larger, fade them more, and put the country name inside them they'd look better? Or that could end up looking like total crap, in which case, I didn't suggest it :-$.

Hmm...you could set the flag to the background of each country, like the Great Lakes map, but I think that would make them look too busy/be too distracting...

I really don't know what else to suggest for the flags. Everything I can think of will look awful, but the current flags don't look very good either. Blah. Maybe you'll think of something :).
User avatar
Captain ZeakCytho
 
Posts: 1251
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:36 pm
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Re: Luxembourg - Map on pages 1 and 8 - Updated: 12.05.08 [I]

Postby Kaplowitz on Mon May 12, 2008 2:53 pm

I dont like the color of Terres Rouges, i think its too dark, making it hard to see the borders and texture (which is an awesome texture).

Looks great! :P ;)
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz
 
Posts: 3088
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: Doin' it for da lulz.
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Re: Luxembourg - Map on pages 1 and 8 - Updated: 12.05.08 [I]

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon May 12, 2008 5:28 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:Is it just me or is the bevel on Terres Rouges higher than on the other continents?


No it's not. It's the same as the others.
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Colonel Ruben Cassar
 
Posts: 2160
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:04 am
Location: Civitas Invicta, Melita, Evropa
Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Re: Luxembourg - Map on pages 1 and 8 - Updated: 12.05.08 [I]

Postby gimil on Mon May 12, 2008 8:03 pm

From a gameplay point of view Letzebuerg could probably be pushed to a 4 its slightly bigger than the rest of te continents and its sits in the middle of the map making it horrible to defend.

For graphics im on the fence just now. Theres something putting me off while there is something that still pulls me in. Im not sure what so Ill leave commenting until I have something more constructive to say.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: Luxembourg - Map on pages 1 and 8 - Updated: 12.05.08 [I]

Postby Ruben Cassar on Tue May 13, 2008 4:17 am

gimil wrote:From a gameplay point of view Letzebuerg could probably be pushed to a 4 its slightly bigger than the rest of te continents and its sits in the middle of the map making it horrible to defend.

For graphics im on the fence just now. Theres something putting me off while there is something that still pulls me in. Im not sure what so Ill leave commenting until I have something more constructive to say.


The bonus for Lëtzebuerg was +4 before, but oaktown suggested that it should be reduced to +3 since this is a small map. Hence the change.
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Colonel Ruben Cassar
 
Posts: 2160
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:04 am
Location: Civitas Invicta, Melita, Evropa
Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Re: Luxembourg - Map on pages 1 and 8 - Updated: 12.05.08 [I]

Postby gimil on Tue May 13, 2008 4:30 am

Ruben Cassar wrote:
gimil wrote:From a gameplay point of view Letzebuerg could probably be pushed to a 4 its slightly bigger than the rest of te continents and its sits in the middle of the map making it horrible to defend.

For graphics im on the fence just now. Theres something putting me off while there is something that still pulls me in. Im not sure what so Ill leave commenting until I have something more constructive to say.


The bonus for Lëtzebuerg was +4 before, but oaktown suggested that it should be reduced to +3 since this is a small map. Hence the change.


hm I may have to disagree with him here, but hes teh expert ;)
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: Luxembourg - Map on pages 1 and 8 - Updated: 12.05.08 [I]

Postby Ruben Cassar on Tue May 13, 2008 4:40 am

gimil wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:
gimil wrote:From a gameplay point of view Letzebuerg could probably be pushed to a 4 its slightly bigger than the rest of te continents and its sits in the middle of the map making it horrible to defend.

For graphics im on the fence just now. Theres something putting me off while there is something that still pulls me in. Im not sure what so Ill leave commenting until I have something more constructive to say.


The bonus for Lëtzebuerg was +4 before, but oaktown suggested that it should be reduced to +3 since this is a small map. Hence the change.


hm I may have to disagree with him here, but hes teh expert ;)


My initial reaction was to disagree as well but since we took down the other bonuses from +3 to +2 and they have 3 borders I think it makes sense to have Lëtzebuerg with a +3 bonus instead of +4. Don't forget the neutral Luxembourg City is close by and could be an easy target to expand the bonus as well.
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Colonel Ruben Cassar
 
Posts: 2160
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:04 am
Location: Civitas Invicta, Melita, Evropa
Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Login