Conquer Club

France 1789

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: FRANCE 18th century [I] v14

Postby pamoa on Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:54 am

oaktown wrote:I know I am only one opinion, but I love the white versions. I actually preferred version 12 to the current version (14), and as a color-blind user myself I appreciate the use of texture along the borders in addition to the color...

...Visually I'm not a fan of the boat - it looks a bit too grey-scaled and not line-art enough to fit the 18th century theme of the map. Maybe drive it to line a bit more, or at least do something about the perfectly flat bottom...

At least someone did understand what I tried to do, thanks oaktown.

I'll work on the ship, the flat bottom is the keel of that type of ship.
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

FRANCE 18th century [I,Gp] v15

Postby pamoa on Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:33 pm

v15 ship, background
Click image to enlarge.
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Re: FRANCE 18th century [I,Gp] v15

Postby ZeakCytho on Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:36 pm

I preferred the unplayable land and ocean without the hatching. I'd still prefer a different color, though - something more cream or beige than what you have now.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby sam_levi_11 on Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:43 am

how do the borders add up?

light blue has:
8 terits
3 borders
bonus of 4

dark blue has:
6 terits
3 borders
bonus of 2

how is dark blue worth half light blue
Sergeant 1st Class sam_levi_11

Postby pamoa on Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:04 am

North is not +2 but +2 +1 (paris) = +3

Bounus structure is based on oaktown spreadsheet with a correction lower all regions by 1 except for Central due to it's position which very hard to hold.
You can find it in the map making tools thread.
The spreadsheet use the following factors to determine the bonus structure: Number of Territories, Number of Defending Territories, Number of Attacking Territories, Number of Neighbor Regions and Size of Smallest Neighbor.

So the bonus structure is:
3 north
2 west
6 centre
1 east
4 south west
4 south east
Cadet pamoa

Postby whitestazn88 on Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:40 pm

this is my first look at the map.

it seems very similar to the france map we already have, except less territs? i mean, i understand that it is a representation of how the borders within the country were set back then, but it doesn't offer much difference in gameplay IMO...

but maybe i'm posting this too late, youve already got 2 stamps. so keep it up. i'll definitely give it a try if it gets quenched, and maybe you'll prove me wrong
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby oaktown on Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:10 pm

sam_levi_11 wrote:how is dark blue worth half light blue

note that when you hold the "dark blue" you also get a +1 for holding paris. I think this is perfect.

Normally the east region would be a +2, but since you're going low across the board I say leave it as is.

If you're counting votes, I still love the white. Beautiful map pammy (I may call you pammy, yes?).
Captain oaktown

Postby pamoa on Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:30 am

oaktown wrote:... pammy (I may call you pammy, yes?).

actually my name is patrick and my nick name is a contraction of my name and family name. It is also a play on words in french "pas moi" ( not me). If you want to make it shorter just use pat.
Cadet pamoa

Postby gimil on Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:30 am

pamoa wrote:
oaktown wrote:... pammy (I may call you pammy, yes?).

actually my name is patrick and my nick name is a contraction of my name and family name. It is also a play on words in french "pas moi" ( not me). If you want to make it shorter just use pat.

"pat" can we drop the foot pic? Makes me unfomfortable.

p.s. im not really sure how the rivers work, some have bridges, some have outlines and some have no outlines.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby pamoa on Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:22 pm

gimil wrote:I'm not really sure how the rivers work, some have bridges, some have outlines and some have no outlines.

What is unclear for you, river runs till ocean, the ones between to territories are unpassable except where bridge cross them.
I admit a bit complicated but geography is complicated!
Cadet pamoa

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:19 pm

pamoa wrote:
gimil wrote:I'm not really sure how the rivers work, some have bridges, some have outlines and some have no outlines.

What is unclear for you, river runs till ocean, the ones between to territories are unpassable except where bridge cross them.

I suggested this a few months ago and I'm going to bring it up again.

For the sake of making the map easier to play I suggest you remove the parts of the rivers which do not act as impassable borders. I think they just create confusion and look odd when compared to the parts of the rivers that actually act as an impassable border.

Sometimes you have to sacrifice geographic accuracy for gameplay.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby pamoa on Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:03 am

The only way I can solve it for you is to remove impassable rivers make it mere decoration
Cadet pamoa

Postby Friskies on Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:32 pm

The only river that is more disturbing by its presence in the Seine river. The other rivers are sometimes unpassable, not the Seine river. But what is France without its Seine river?
Is it possible to make the frontiers between 2 territories bolder? This way, the Loire river crossing Anjou (foe example) won't be taken for a frontier.
Lieutenant Friskies

Postby pamoa on Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:08 am

Friskies wrote:Is it possible to make the frontiers between 2 territories bolder? This way, the Loire river crossing Anjou (foe example) won't be taken for a frontier.

You mean making the border lines thicker all over the map ?
Cadet pamoa

Postby Friskies on Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:56 pm

Yes, that's what I mean. Is it allowed ? Just a few points larger would help.
Lieutenant Friskies

Postby pamoa on Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:51 am

Friskies wrote:Yes, that's what I mean. Is it allowed ? Just a few points larger would help.

I'm really sorry but it make the graphics ugly and unelegant. If you don't mind, and nothing personnal, I'll leave it as it is. But if you have orther suggestion about how to improve the problem it seem there is with borders, please tell me.
Cadet pamoa

Postby yeti_c on Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:14 am

gimil wrote:p.s. im not really sure how the rivers work, some have bridges, some have outlines and some have no outlines.

The rivers are pretty obvious - they're outlined where they are borders - and bridges thus create the connections...

They are background where they run through a single territory...

I guess what you could do to make it a little easier for Gimiy to understand - is change the opacity of the "background" rivers a bit - to fade them more into the - background?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby pamoa on Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:02 am

ZeakCytho wrote:I preferred the unplayable land and ocean without the hatching. I'd still prefer a different color, though - something more cream or beige than what you have now.

I also think bg paper effeczt is a bit strong but I'm not a cream fan as I think it's not white enough.

gimil wrote:... I'm not really sure how the rivers work, some have bridges, some have outlines and some have no outlines.

yeti_c wrote: The rivers are pretty obvious - they're outlined where they are borders - and bridges thus create the connections...
They are background where they run through a single territory...

Thanks ... I'll try with rivers lighter
Cadet pamoa

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:37 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:
pamoa wrote:

For the sake of making the map easier to play I suggest you remove the parts of the rivers which do not act as impassable borders. I think they just create confusion and look odd when compared to the parts of the rivers that actually act as an impassable border.

What about my suggestion?
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby gimil on Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:51 pm

Rubens got a point you know.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby yeti_c on Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:04 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:
pamoa wrote:

What about my suggestion?

Personally I disagree with it - it would be nice to be able to get the rivers in.

It would look stupid if there are bits of river popping up all over the place.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:54 pm

yeti_c wrote:
Personally I disagree with it - it would be nice to be able to get the rivers in.

C.

But what's the use of having half a river with a black border and half of it without border? You don't see that in any of the other mps. Besides from looking weird, rivers that cross through territories but do not act as impassables are also confusing when you are playing the map...
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:55 pm

I think full rivers with bridges for crossable areas is the best.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby yeti_c on Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:09 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:
yeti_c wrote:

C.

But what's the use of having half a river with a black border and half of it without border? You don't see that in any of the other mps. Besides from looking weird, rivers that cross through territories but do not act as impassables are also confusing when you are playing the map...

Not if we they can be faded more into the background. - Your solution just wouldn't work though - as there would be a couple of random pieces of river - and then nothing - it would look bizarre.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:34 am

yeti_c wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:
yeti_c wrote:

C.

Not if we they can be faded more into the background. - Your solution just wouldn't work though - as there would be a couple of random pieces of river - and then nothing - it would look bizarre.

C.

Maybe it would...but it looks even more bizarre as it is with half a river using a border and the other faded out. Once again no other map on CC uses this bizarre formula. And pamoa still hasn't answered my post after months.

Also the parts of the rivers which are passable will create confusion once people start playing on the map.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas