Conquer Club

France 1789

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: FRANCE 18th century [I] v07 may19

Postby oaktown on Tue May 20, 2008 7:30 pm

welcome - again, lovely graphics.

Quick concern: not everybody will know that Paris=Ile de France, even with the symbol... you know somebody will be confused when their opponent gets a +1 for holding Ile de France, when the legend says you get a +1 for holding Paris.
Captain oaktown

Postby Kaplowitz on Tue May 20, 2008 7:34 pm

Maybe make Paris its own little territory?
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby Ruben Cassar on Tue May 20, 2008 7:36 pm

oaktown wrote:welcome - again, lovely graphics.

Quick concern: not everybody will know that Paris=Ile de France, even with the symbol... you know somebody will be confused when their opponent gets a +1 for holding Ile de France, when the legend says you get a +1 for holding Paris.

Isn't the fleur-de-lys symbol enough to understand that? It looks pretty straightforward to me compared to some of the more complicated maps which I cannot understand even after looking for 5 minutes at the legend! :D
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby InkL0sed on Tue May 20, 2008 7:38 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:
oaktown wrote:welcome - again, lovely graphics.

Isn't the fleur-de-lys symbol enough to understand that? It looks pretty straightforward to me compared to some of the more complicated maps which I cannot understand even after looking for 5 minutes at the legend! :D

Unfortunately... no, many Americans won't equate the two at all.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby pamoa on Wed May 21, 2008 2:47 am

oaktown
not everybody will know that Paris=Ile de France, even with the symbol... you know somebody will be confused when their opponent gets a +1 for holding Ile de France, when the legend says you get a +1 for holding Paris.
Kaplowitz
Ruben Cassar
Isn't the fleur-de-lys symbol enough to understand that? It looks pretty straightforward to me compared to some of the more complicated maps which I cannot understand even after looking for 5 minutes at the legend!
InkL0sed

:idea: What if I change the name Isle-de-France with Paris. I loose some flavour but gain some straightforwardness!
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby Ruben Cassar on Wed May 21, 2008 5:49 am

pamoa wrote:oaktown
not everybody will know that Paris=Ile de France, even with the symbol... you know somebody will be confused when their opponent gets a +1 for holding Ile de France, when the legend says you get a +1 for holding Paris.
Kaplowitz
Ruben Cassar
Isn't the fleur-de-lys symbol enough to understand that? It looks pretty straightforward to me compared to some of the more complicated maps which I cannot understand even after looking for 5 minutes at the legend!
InkL0sed

:idea: What if I change the name Isle-de-France with Paris. I loose some flavour but gain some straightforwardness!

Alternatively you can say in the legend that Paris is the capital of Ile de France. This way you don't lose the "flavour".
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby bryguy on Wed May 21, 2008 7:28 am

congratz on main foundry =D>

edit: now to comment

1) The river annoys me right now as is, could u change it?
2) You can hardly tell the venaissin belings where it does, cause it doesnt even touch its territ
3) Same for Foix
4) And maybe Nice
5) And could u make Roussillon and Corse (or is it Gorse?) touch there territs?
Corporal bryguy

Postby nagerous on Wed May 21, 2008 7:35 am

It would be nice to throw in more gimmicks, cairns style. At the moment the map doesn't seem that appealing to play, just because it is so similar to the current France map. If it's going to be set in the 1789. maybe add a few more tricks within the map, to make it more exciting and playable, as otherwise people will just stick to playing the classic France map.
Captain nagerous

Postby Ruben Cassar on Wed May 21, 2008 7:40 am

nagerous wrote:It would be nice to throw in more gimmicks, cairns style. At the moment the map doesn't seem that appealing to play, just because it is so similar to the current France map. If it's going to be set in the 1789. maybe add a few more tricks within the map, to make it more exciting and playable, as otherwise people will just stick to playing the classic France map.

I totally disagree with this. The gameplay is interesting enough as it is. No need to make every map super complicated, we already have a bunch of those waiting to get quenched. Besides there is already the capital bonus, something that is not available in the other France map.

Apart from that the structure of the regions and territories makes the strategy on this one totally different from the other France map.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby nagerous on Wed May 21, 2008 7:47 am

Ruben Cassar wrote:
nagerous wrote:It would be nice to throw in more gimmicks, cairns style. At the moment the map doesn't seem that appealing to play, just because it is so similar to the current France map. If it's going to be set in the 1789. maybe add a few more tricks within the map, to make it more exciting and playable, as otherwise people will just stick to playing the classic France map.

I totally disagree with this. The gameplay is interesting enough as it is. No need to make every map super complicated, we already have a bunch of those waiting to get quenched. Besides there is already the capital bonus, something that is not available in the other France map.

Apart from that the structure of the regions and territories makes the strategy on this one totally different from the other France map.

Fair call, I'm not against the map. I actually think it looks really good graphically etc. I'm just suggesting that there is the potential to hit a roadblock via the fact that the map has marked similarities to the other French map. I wasn't suggesting super complicated, I just thought a few more tricks could be sneaked in and it would make the map a more exciting prospect to play. :)
Captain nagerous

Postby pamoa on Wed May 21, 2008 7:57 am

nagerous wrote:... I actually think it looks really good graphically etc. I'm just suggesting that there is the potential to hit a roadblock via the fact that the map has marked similarities to the other French map. I wasn't suggesting super complicated, I just thought a few more tricks could be sneaked in and it would make the map a more exciting prospect to play. :)

What kind of tricks ?
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby pamoa on Wed May 21, 2008 8:07 am

bryguy wrote:1) The river annoys me right now as is, could u change it?
2) You can hardly tell the venaissin belings where it does, cause it doesnt even touch its territ
3) Same for Foix
4) And maybe Nice
5) And could u make Roussillon and Corse (or is it Gorse?) touch there territs?

What does bother you with rivers? Consider that I wanted the map to geographically correct so rivers are sometimes impassable borders and sometimes crossable by a bridge or being at the center of a territory. Then they should flow until sea and for me they are part of the graphical definition of the map as i removed any other background.

About the names touching the borders I'm really not sure about that, it will "blur" the borders. It's a pretty common way to put names on a map, putting then on the side of the object designated as I can not put them inside. And drawing a line or an arrow are absolutely contradictory with kind or graphic theme I'm trying to devellop.
But I'll keep in mind your remark and if they are other like this i'll try to find a solution.
Cadet pamoa

Postby nagerous on Wed May 21, 2008 8:09 am

pamoa wrote:
nagerous wrote:... I actually think it looks really good graphically etc. I'm just suggesting that there is the potential to hit a roadblock via the fact that the map has marked similarities to the other French map. I wasn't suggesting super complicated, I just thought a few more tricks could be sneaked in and it would make the map a more exciting prospect to play. :)

What kind of tricks ?

Well its up to you how it will affect gameplay but stuff like one way attacks, links from area to area via a shipping line, bonuses for holding castles that kinda malarky.
Captain nagerous

Postby pamoa on Wed May 21, 2008 11:00 am

nagerous wrote:
pamoa wrote:

What kind of tricks ?

Well its up to you how it will affect gameplay but stuff like one way attacks, links from area to area via a shipping line, bonuses for holding castles that kinda malarky.

I'll think about it
Cadet pamoa

Postby ZeakCytho on Wed May 21, 2008 8:06 pm

Please don't put any tricks/gimicks into this map. It's great as it is now.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu May 22, 2008 3:32 am

ZeakCytho wrote:Please don't put any tricks/gimicks into this map. It's great as it is now.

I agree. Just the capital starting as neutral is enough for this one.

Besides just looking at the latest bunch of 5 or 6 new maps to get quenched I realised that not even one of them has classic gameplay so we need some new maps to cater for this area as well.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby pamoa on Thu May 22, 2008 3:58 am

I actually think it looks really good graphically etc. I'm just suggesting that there is the potential to hit a roadblock via the fact that the map has marked similarities to the other French map. I wasn't suggesting super complicated, I just thought a few more tricks could be sneaked in and it would make the map a more exciting prospect to play. :) stuff like one way attacks, links from area to area via a shipping line, bonuses for holding castles that kinda malarky.
Ruben Cassar wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:Please don't put any tricks/gimicks into this map. It's great as it is now.

I agree. Just the capital starting as neutral is enough for this one. Besides just looking at the latest bunch of 5 or 6 new maps to get quenched I realised that not even one of them has classic gameplay so we need some new maps to cater for this area as well.

2 to 1 in the game tricks or not issue, I'll wait to see how it goes!
Cadet pamoa

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu May 22, 2008 12:48 pm

pamoa wrote:2 to 1 in the game tricks or not issue, I'll wait to see how it goes!

I don't think it should boil down to that. These things are something a map maker decides and defines at the start when he is planning a map without making major changes in this department as the map develops.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

VACATION UNTIL JUNE 15

Postby pamoa on Fri May 23, 2008 12:14 pm

As map editor I will be on vacation until june 15 8-)
Cadet pamoa

Re: FRANCE 18th century v07 [I] may22 p5

Postby TaCktiX on Thu May 29, 2008 6:39 pm

Keep with the classic gameplay. A mere difference in impassables and a capital bonus are enough to gameplay-wise distinguish this map from the present France. As Ruben has said, we need to deliver some classic maps to the masses after our last glut of complex maps.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby gimil on Fri May 30, 2008 10:42 am

TaCktiX wrote:Keep with the classic gameplay. A mere difference in impassables and a capital bonus are enough to gameplay-wise distinguish this map from the present France. As Ruben has said, we need to deliver some classic maps to the masses after our last glut of complex maps.

No we dont, if people want classic maps they should come in and make them ;)

If we are here to produce to please the masses then we should be paid to do so :)
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby TaCktiX on Fri May 30, 2008 2:42 pm

Well considering that pamoa started this map as a classic gameplay one, I think the choice has already been made. Some people are trying to change that choice for petty reasons.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri May 30, 2008 4:46 pm

TaCktiX wrote:Well considering that pamoa started this map as a classic gameplay one, I think the choice has already been made. Some people are trying to change that choice for petty reasons.

Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby pamoa on Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:08 am

Hi, I'm back on work.
I think that the more trick issue is closed as nobody argued anymore in that direction.
So I'll stick to the actual version of gameplay.
As soon as possible I'll release a new update but their is a lot of work waiting me here in office so it may take me a week.
I decided to change the paris bonus label as following:
Paris (*) Isle-de-France +1
Any other comments!
Cadet pamoa

Re: FRANCE 18th century v07 [I] june16 p5

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:06 am

As I told you in earlier posts the colour scheme needs to change. It's too hard to differentiate between a region and another with only that thin border of colouring.

Check my previous posts regarding this issue. You should try to fill the region with colour perhaps?
Colonel Ruben Cassar

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas