France 1789

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: FRANCE 18th century [I,Gp] v17 12sep2008

Postby MrBenn on Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:02 pm

I like the rivers as they currently are - bridges in the middle of a territory get too confusing - the solution here is an excellent one.

Is it just me, or does the map seem to be too wide? I'm sure you could cut off 50-100 pixels from the left-hand-side of the map without impacting on the playable area at all?? You'd probably need to move the compass/minimap/ship, but I don't think that's a big issue??
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby pamoa on Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:36 am

TaCktiX wrote:The subtle continent names are a good attempt, but due to the myriad of terrain features are really difficult to read and end up muddling the map (though that's not intended). Instead of big wide semi-transparent names, what about smaller but more distinctive continent names?

I'll try something else
The Neon Peon wrote:I really do not like having a blue river convert to a gray river, then back again to blue. could you simply make the entire river blue, but make it really thin, but still use bridges? Possibly have it thicken slightly where you have a bridge.

yeti_c wrote:I have to say I'm going to disagree with this - there has been a lot of discussion on this - and what we have now is the best of it... and I think the effect is really good.

MrBenn wrote:I like the rivers as they currently are - bridges in the middle of a territory get too confusing - the solution here is an excellent one.

This river stuff could last for ages and I know I will read comments about it even when it will be online, if it never goes.
But as it seems that at least some people are satisfied with it and as I think it is perfectly understandable for an average intelligent person, it will remain as it is.

MrBenn wrote:Is it just me, or does the map seem to be too wide? I'm sure you could cut off 50-100 pixels from the left-hand-side of the map without impacting on the playable area at all?? You'd probably need to move the compass/minimap/ship, but I don't think that's a big issue??

The map is 600x800 which is less than the 800x840 authorised. I don't see any benefits in having a narrower, crowded map.
de gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces et donjonnée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Lieutenant pamoa

Medals: 58
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (8)
Map Contribution (3)

Postby gimil on Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:21 am

MrBenn wrote:Is it just me, or does the map seem to be too wide? I'm sure you could cut off 50-100 pixels from the left-hand-side of the map without impacting on the playable area at all?? You'd probably need to move the compass/minimap/ship, but I don't think that's a big issue??

Benn I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. I think the map is nicly presented without any space being left unutilised. He probably could reduce the size but I don't think their is a real need for it.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: FRANCE 18th century [I,Gp] v15

Postby RjBeals on Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:09 am

Click image to enlarge.

pamoa - I don't think I've really commented on this map yet, but it's outstanding. You have nice control over photoshop ;). I don't have time right now to read back through the posts, but I'll comment on what I see right now.

* color choices are great. Your mountain range is great. It fits into the map perfectly.
* Your fonts are nice also. The whole map style you've nailed down.
* I think when I look at this map, I don't like the glow in the water. Maybe there's just too much white in general. If I remember correctly, the glow was a big discussion point a while ago. So much so, that you took a break from development. I don't want that to happen - but I personally would prefer less glow, less white, and more solid color.
* your map is not too wide.

I guess that's it really. It's one of the best maps in development right now. Well Done!
Private RjBeals

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
General Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Re: FRANCE 18th century [I,Gp] v15

Postby pamoa on Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:49 am

RjBeals wrote:I think when I look at this map, I don't like the glow in the water. Maybe there's just too much white in general. If I remember correctly, the glow was a big discussion point a while ago. So much so, that you took a break from development. I don't want that to happen - but I personally would prefer less glow, less white, and more solid color.

Thanks for commenting. This map started as white based Ireland-like map. At the start see was even less strong. So what you see is, I think, a good compromise.
For info you can watch this precedent versions v13 / v09 / v02 / v01
de gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces et donjonnée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Lieutenant pamoa

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (8)
Map Contribution (3)

Re: FRANCE 18th century [I,Gp] v18 1oct2008

Postby pamoa on Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:16 am

v18 new features: regions font
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant pamoa

Map Contribution (3)

Postby Ogrecrusher on Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:01 am

This map is already miles better than the existing France map, what's holding it up?
Colonel Ogrecrusher

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2)

Postby MrBenn on Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:36 pm

I stand corrected on the spacing thing :oops:

I can't see anything else to change... apart from perhaps making the blue of the sea very slightly paler...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby pamoa on Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:22 pm

v19 new features: sea color, small map
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant pamoa

Map Contribution (3)

Re: FRANCE 18th century [I,Gp] v19 13oct2008

Postby Ruben Cassar on Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:27 am

As someone already mentioned the regions' names are barely legible.

Maybe adding a dark outline (stroke) to the text could help...but it could also be a bad idea as it might create even more confusion. Either way I suggest you try to do something about the regions' names legibility.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Postby jako on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:47 pm

does the white-ness take some getting used to? been awhile since i saw this again and its hurting my eyes a little. better put on some shades. 8-)

Time to retire this much loved sig of mine with a new clan.
Lieutenant jako

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)

Postby TaCktiX on Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:27 pm

The ship on both versions seems to be pixellated even though I know it's not. I think it's caused by the very subtle blue dots in the white background. If you erased those that coincide with the ship, it should look a bit clearer.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (6)

Postby pamoa on Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:51 am

As someone already mentioned the regions' names are barely legible.
Maybe adding a dark outline (stroke) to the text could help...but it could also be a bad idea as it might create even more confusion. Either way I suggest you try to do something about the regions' names legibility.

I'll work on it.

TaCktiX wrote:The ship on both versions seems to be pixellated even though I know it's not. I think it's caused by the very subtle blue dots in the white background. If you erased those that coincide with the ship, it should look a bit clearer.

The actual version was an answer to this request. So either you think it is a vital point on this map, else I'll stick to this. As I don't want to ping-pong between you two!
    oaktown wrote:page 9
    ...Visually I'm not a fan of the boat - it looks a bit too grey-scaled and not line-art enough to fit the 18th century theme of the map. Maybe drive it to line a bit more, or at least do something about the perfectly flat bottom...
Lieutenant pamoa

Map Contribution (3)

Postby MrBenn on Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:03 pm

This map has been moved into temporary retirement, as there has been no updates for nearly a month...

If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the CAs will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system after an update has been posted ;-)

Mr B
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Postby pamoa on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:32 am

I will post an updated as soon as Holy Roman Empire did move to FF
Lieutenant pamoa

Map Contribution (3)

Postby yeti_c on Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:26 am

I hope this one doesn't die - Keep the faith Pamoa.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby pamoa on Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:28 am

As I said as soon as HRE goes forward I'll come back on this one
Lieutenant pamoa

Map Contribution (3)

Re: FRANCE 18th century [D,Gp] v20 20nov2008

Postby pamoa on Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:46 pm

As polls are buging on this thread I'll ask it directly here
where should be positioned the regions names ?

a. On the map ( see large map )
    b. Around the minimap ( see small map )

BACK ON TRACKS

v20 new features: region names

Click image to enlarge.

Lieutenant pamoa

Map Contribution (3)

Re: FRANCE 18th century [D,Gp] v20 20nov2008 - VOTE NOW p13 -

Postby yeti_c on Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:43 am

Prefer Main map.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby gimil on Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:12 am

I prefer the minimap myself. Although if you did go with the minimap I would like to see the continent names in the colour that represents the region with a black stroke.

What do you think?
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:29 pm

gimil wrote:I prefer the minimap myself. Although if you did go with the minimap I would like to see the continent names in the colour that represents the region with a black stroke.

What do you think?

I agree with gimil on this one.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Re: FRANCE 18th century [D,Gp] v20 20nov2008

Postby pamoa on Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:31 pm

where should be positioned the regions names ?

a. On the map ( see large map ) 1 vote
    b. Around the minimap ( see small map ) 2 votes

I'll wait 1 day or 2 to see if their is some more opinion
Lieutenant pamoa

Map Contribution (3)

Postby Ogrecrusher on Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:41 am

Both look fine. But go with the minimap.
Colonel Ogrecrusher

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2)

Postby oaktown on Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:37 pm

I think it looks good on the main... the black text floating around the mini-map ruins how clean that part of the map looks to me.
Captain oaktown

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (12)
General Contribution (5)

Postby edbeard on Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:11 pm

oaktown wrote:I think it looks good on the main... the black text floating around the mini-map ruins how clean that part of the map looks to me.

agree
Major edbeard

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas