France 1789

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: FRANCE 18TH century v06 may10 - VOTE NOW

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri May 16, 2008 3:45 am

Ruben Cassar wrote:
pamoa wrote:Thanks guys for helping I'll work on it in a few day. I just wait the poll end so to choose which way to go and then work on "size problem" maybe starting with small map!


The sea was much better in the first version but no one knows that because there is only a link to the image and basically no one cares to click on it or even realises it's there. You should have made the first image visible as well since it is an option on the poll. Not doing that makes this poll stilted.
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Colonel Ruben Cassar
 
Posts: 2160
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:04 am
Location: Civitas Invicta, Melita, Evropa
Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Re: FRANCE 18th century v06 may10 - VOTE NOW

Postby pamoa on Sat May 17, 2008 8:47 am

Here are the poll results:
v06=1
v06 with minimap=6
v05=2
v05 with legend=2
other=1

My conclusions are there is a clear preference for blue sea (i'll do like v01 for ruben eyes only) and minimap is better.
Thanks for voting, new version next days.
de gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces et donjonnée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class pamoa
 
Posts: 1207
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:18 am
Location: Confederatio Helvetica
Medals: 57
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (8)
Map Contribution (3)

Re: FRANCE 18th century v06 may10 - VOTE NOW

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sat May 17, 2008 10:01 am

pamoa wrote:My conclusions are there is a clear preference for blue sea (i'll do like v01 for ruben eyes only) and minimap is better.


Wow. I feel honoured. However I think you have to ask gimil to close the poll for you.
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Colonel Ruben Cassar
 
Posts: 2160
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:04 am
Location: Civitas Invicta, Melita, Evropa
Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Re: FRANCE 18th century v07 may19

Postby gimil on Mon May 19, 2008 8:38 pm

Image

Good luck in the real world.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: FRANCE 18th century v07 may19

Postby pamoa on Tue May 20, 2008 5:20 am

gimil wrote:Good luck in the real world.

Thanks i'll try to survive :D
de gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces et donjonnée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class pamoa
 
Posts: 1207
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:18 am
Location: Confederatio Helvetica
Medals: 57
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (8)
Map Contribution (3)

Re: FRANCE 18th century [I] v07 may19

Postby oaktown on Tue May 20, 2008 7:30 pm

welcome - again, lovely graphics.

Quick concern: not everybody will know that Paris=Ile de France, even with the symbol... you know somebody will be confused when their opponent gets a +1 for holding Ile de France, when the legend says you get a +1 for holding Paris.
User avatar
Captain oaktown
 
Posts: 4552
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:24 pm
Location: majorcommand
Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (12)
General Contribution (5)

Re: FRANCE 18th century [I] v07 may19

Postby Kaplowitz on Tue May 20, 2008 7:34 pm

Maybe make Paris its own little territory?
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz
 
Posts: 3088
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: Doin' it for da lulz.
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Re: FRANCE 18th century [I] v07 may19

Postby Ruben Cassar on Tue May 20, 2008 7:36 pm

oaktown wrote:welcome - again, lovely graphics.

Quick concern: not everybody will know that Paris=Ile de France, even with the symbol... you know somebody will be confused when their opponent gets a +1 for holding Ile de France, when the legend says you get a +1 for holding Paris.


Isn't the fleur-de-lys symbol enough to understand that? It looks pretty straightforward to me compared to some of the more complicated maps which I cannot understand even after looking for 5 minutes at the legend! :D
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Colonel Ruben Cassar
 
Posts: 2160
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:04 am
Location: Civitas Invicta, Melita, Evropa
Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Re: FRANCE 18th century [I] v07 may19

Postby InkL0sed on Tue May 20, 2008 7:38 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:
oaktown wrote:welcome - again, lovely graphics.

Quick concern: not everybody will know that Paris=Ile de France, even with the symbol... you know somebody will be confused when their opponent gets a +1 for holding Ile de France, when the legend says you get a +1 for holding Paris.


Isn't the fleur-de-lys symbol enough to understand that? It looks pretty straightforward to me compared to some of the more complicated maps which I cannot understand even after looking for 5 minutes at the legend! :D


Unfortunately... no, many Americans won't equate the two at all.
User avatar
Lieutenant InkL0sed
 
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:06 pm
Location: underwater
Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Re: FRANCE 18th century [I] v07 may19

Postby pamoa on Wed May 21, 2008 2:47 am

oaktown
not everybody will know that Paris=Ile de France, even with the symbol... you know somebody will be confused when their opponent gets a +1 for holding Ile de France, when the legend says you get a +1 for holding Paris.
Kaplowitz
Maybe make Paris its own little territory?
Ruben Cassar
Isn't the fleur-de-lys symbol enough to understand that? It looks pretty straightforward to me compared to some of the more complicated maps which I cannot understand even after looking for 5 minutes at the legend!
InkL0sed
Unfortunately... no, many Americans won't equate the two at all.

:idea: What if I change the name Isle-de-France with Paris. I loose some flavour but gain some straightforwardness!
de gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces et donjonnée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class pamoa
 
Posts: 1207
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:18 am
Location: Confederatio Helvetica
Medals: 57
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (8)
Map Contribution (3)

Re: FRANCE 18th century [I] v07 may19

Postby Ruben Cassar on Wed May 21, 2008 5:49 am

pamoa wrote:oaktown
not everybody will know that Paris=Ile de France, even with the symbol... you know somebody will be confused when their opponent gets a +1 for holding Ile de France, when the legend says you get a +1 for holding Paris.
Kaplowitz
Maybe make Paris its own little territory?
Ruben Cassar
Isn't the fleur-de-lys symbol enough to understand that? It looks pretty straightforward to me compared to some of the more complicated maps which I cannot understand even after looking for 5 minutes at the legend!
InkL0sed
Unfortunately... no, many Americans won't equate the two at all.

:idea: What if I change the name Isle-de-France with Paris. I loose some flavour but gain some straightforwardness!


Alternatively you can say in the legend that Paris is the capital of Ile de France. This way you don't lose the "flavour".
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Colonel Ruben Cassar
 
Posts: 2160
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:04 am
Location: Civitas Invicta, Melita, Evropa
Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Re: FRANCE 18th century [I] v07 may19

Postby bryguy on Wed May 21, 2008 7:28 am

congratz on main foundry =D>

edit: now to comment


1) The river annoys me right now as is, could u change it?
2) You can hardly tell the venaissin belings where it does, cause it doesnt even touch its territ
3) Same for Foix
4) And maybe Nice
5) And could u make Roussillon and Corse (or is it Gorse?) touch there territs?
Corporal bryguy
 
Posts: 4648
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:50 am
Location: Lost in a Jigsaw
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: FRANCE 18th century [I] v07 may19

Postby nagerous on Wed May 21, 2008 7:35 am

It would be nice to throw in more gimmicks, cairns style. At the moment the map doesn't seem that appealing to play, just because it is so similar to the current France map. If it's going to be set in the 1789. maybe add a few more tricks within the map, to make it more exciting and playable, as otherwise people will just stick to playing the classic France map.
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant nagerous
 
Posts: 8039
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:39 am
Medals: 66
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (9) Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (14)

Re: FRANCE 18th century [I] v07 may19

Postby Ruben Cassar on Wed May 21, 2008 7:40 am

nagerous wrote:It would be nice to throw in more gimmicks, cairns style. At the moment the map doesn't seem that appealing to play, just because it is so similar to the current France map. If it's going to be set in the 1789. maybe add a few more tricks within the map, to make it more exciting and playable, as otherwise people will just stick to playing the classic France map.


I totally disagree with this. The gameplay is interesting enough as it is. No need to make every map super complicated, we already have a bunch of those waiting to get quenched. Besides there is already the capital bonus, something that is not available in the other France map.

Apart from that the structure of the regions and territories makes the strategy on this one totally different from the other France map.
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Colonel Ruben Cassar
 
Posts: 2160
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:04 am
Location: Civitas Invicta, Melita, Evropa
Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Re: FRANCE 18th century [I] v07 may19

Postby nagerous on Wed May 21, 2008 7:47 am

Ruben Cassar wrote:
nagerous wrote:It would be nice to throw in more gimmicks, cairns style. At the moment the map doesn't seem that appealing to play, just because it is so similar to the current France map. If it's going to be set in the 1789. maybe add a few more tricks within the map, to make it more exciting and playable, as otherwise people will just stick to playing the classic France map.


I totally disagree with this. The gameplay is interesting enough as it is. No need to make every map super complicated, we already have a bunch of those waiting to get quenched. Besides there is already the capital bonus, something that is not available in the other France map.

Apart from that the structure of the regions and territories makes the strategy on this one totally different from the other France map.


Fair call, I'm not against the map. I actually think it looks really good graphically etc. I'm just suggesting that there is the potential to hit a roadblock via the fact that the map has marked similarities to the other French map. I wasn't suggesting super complicated, I just thought a few more tricks could be sneaked in and it would make the map a more exciting prospect to play. :)
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant nagerous
 
Posts: 8039
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:39 am
Medals: 66
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (9) Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (14)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Login