Conquer 4 [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Conquer 4. Page 1 + 2

Postby gimil on Thu May 15, 2008 5:19 pm

Image

Any better with the bevel?
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: Conquer 4. Page 1 + 3

Postby ZeakCytho on Thu May 15, 2008 5:20 pm

Better, but I think it could still be a bit stronger.
User avatar
Captain ZeakCytho
 
Posts: 1251
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:36 pm
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Re: Conquer 4. Page 1 + 3

Postby gimil on Thu May 15, 2008 6:45 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:Better, but I think it could still be a bit stronger.


its such a thin font if I do much more it wont work.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: Conquer 4. Page 1 + 3

Postby Ethitts on Thu May 15, 2008 7:16 pm

This looks like a pretty interesting/fun map to play. Keep it up, I look forward to giving it a go
User avatar
Major Ethitts
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:53 am
Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Conquer 4. Page 1 + 3

Postby ZeakCytho on Thu May 15, 2008 7:23 pm

gimil wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:Better, but I think it could still be a bit stronger.


its such a thin font if I do much more it wont work.


The title font is thin? It looks thick to me; or, at least, it's thick at the size used in the title.

I feel like the title should either be raised out above the "board" or etched into it, like words on a real plastic or metal game board would be, rather than just written on, as one could do on a board with a paper surface.

But, if you say that it looks bad with more bevel, then I'll defer to your judgment.

Did you try embossing it yet? Maybe a sunken/etched look will work better than a raised one.
User avatar
Captain ZeakCytho
 
Posts: 1251
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:36 pm
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Re: Conquer 4. Page 1 + 3

Postby gimil on Thu May 15, 2008 7:49 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:
gimil wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:Better, but I think it could still be a bit stronger.


its such a thin font if I do much more it wont work.


The title font is thin? It looks thick to me; or, at least, it's thick at the size used in the title.

I feel like the title should either be raised out above the "board" or etched into it, like words on a real plastic or metal game board would be, rather than just written on, as one could do on a board with a paper surface.

But, if you say that it looks bad with more bevel, then I'll defer to your judgment.

Did you try embossing it yet? Maybe a sunken/etched look will work better than a raised one.


The etched look is what im going for. I have it beveled down at the moment. I can try a little more on the title I was meaning that I cant do much more with the terr names etc
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: Conquer 4. Page 1 + 2

Postby yeti_c on Fri May 16, 2008 8:23 am

This needs to be on the map somewhere...

yeti_c wrote:I think we need to have "Each Line +2" or similar somewhere...

C.


Else the entire map doesn't make sense.

C.
Image
Highest score : 2297
User avatar
Lieutenant yeti_c
 
Posts: 9670
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 am
Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Re: Conquer 4. Page 1 + 2

Postby cairnswk on Fri May 16, 2008 1:19 pm

gimil wrote:4. Seems like alot of leg work for little gain. I keep it on the back burner if I need the space later on. Sorry cairns but its to much work for the sake of a little eye space :)

Mmmm...that's exactly what design work is all about gimil...a lot of work for sometimes little gain, but the end overall effect is worth it.
Happy that you'll keep it on the backburner but i think that the bonus column needs to run the entire right side of the board and the title can be constricted to 3/4s of the board. Only my opinion. ;) Your map however, you do what you want.
User avatar
Private cairnswk
 
Posts: 11496
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Re: Conquer 4. Page 1 + 2

Postby gimil on Fri May 16, 2008 1:37 pm

cairnswk wrote:
gimil wrote:4. Seems like alot of leg work for little gain. I keep it on the back burner if I need the space later on. Sorry cairns but its to much work for the sake of a little eye space :)

Mmmm...that's exactly what design work is all about gimil...a lot of work for sometimes little gain, but the end overall effect is worth it.
Happy that you'll keep it on the backburner but i think that the bonus column needs to run the entire right side of the board and the title can be constricted to 3/4s of the board. Only my opinion. ;) Your map however, you do what you want.


Im happy to shift about the title area for more space for the legends thou, rather than the buttons :)
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: Conquer 4. Page 1 + 2

Postby zimmah on Fri May 16, 2008 1:51 pm

gimil wrote:Image

Any better with the bevel?



sorry to say but, the white in black is pretty much hurting my eyes.

nice map though
Image
owenshooter wrote:i disagree with you and i'm right!

Een van de Veroveraars der Lage Landen
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class zimmah
 
Posts: 1634
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:43 pm
Location: VDLL
Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) Map Contribution (4)

Re: Conquer 4. Page 1 + 2

Postby yeti_c on Fri May 16, 2008 2:16 pm

gimil wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
gimil wrote:4. Seems like alot of leg work for little gain. I keep it on the back burner if I need the space later on. Sorry cairns but its to much work for the sake of a little eye space :)

Mmmm...that's exactly what design work is all about gimil...a lot of work for sometimes little gain, but the end overall effect is worth it.
Happy that you'll keep it on the backburner but i think that the bonus column needs to run the entire right side of the board and the title can be constricted to 3/4s of the board. Only my opinion. ;) Your map however, you do what you want.


Im happy to shift about the title area for more space for the legends thou, rather than the buttons :)


Am I being really dim - but can either of you two explain what the hell you mean by "buttons"?!

C.
Image
Highest score : 2297
User avatar
Lieutenant yeti_c
 
Posts: 9670
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 am
Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Re: Conquer 4. Page 1 + 2

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri May 16, 2008 2:23 pm

yeti_c wrote:Am I being really dim - but can either of you two explain what the hell you mean by "buttons"?!

C.


I think they mean the army circles. And I agree that the white is in stark contrast. What if you put a CC star, with very low opacity, in each circle? The center of the star could hold the number, and the rest of it would act as a buffer from the main color to the white. If not a star, then some other design could work.
User avatar
Captain ZeakCytho
 
Posts: 1251
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:36 pm
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Re: Conquer 4. Page 1 + 2

Postby gimil on Fri May 16, 2008 3:29 pm

yeti_c wrote:
gimil wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
gimil wrote:4. Seems like alot of leg work for little gain. I keep it on the back burner if I need the space later on. Sorry cairns but its to much work for the sake of a little eye space :)

Mmmm...that's exactly what design work is all about gimil...a lot of work for sometimes little gain, but the end overall effect is worth it.
Happy that you'll keep it on the backburner but i think that the bonus column needs to run the entire right side of the board and the title can be constricted to 3/4s of the board. Only my opinion. ;) Your map however, you do what you want.


Im happy to shift about the title area for more space for the legends thou, rather than the buttons :)


Am I being really dim - but can either of you two explain what the hell you mean by "buttons"?!

C.


its not a button sorry its suppose to be a hole. The image is a trasnaprent background PNG, so the holes are transparent not white. I could maybe use so drop shadow to break up the color a little?
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: Conquer 4. Page 1 + 3

Postby gimil on Fri May 16, 2008 3:45 pm

Image

Here some changes with the legends added in that bonus line for yeti and a little drop shadow to the background.

Note: this is a quick update nothing properly aligned in the legends.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: Conquer 4. Page 1 + 3

Postby Kaplowitz on Fri May 16, 2008 3:47 pm

i think they look more like buttons now
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz
 
Posts: 3088
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: Doin' it for da lulz.
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Re: Conquer 4. Page 1 + 3

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri May 16, 2008 3:56 pm

I like the drop shadow, but I think it's too strong.

See my earlier comment on adding an image to each button/hole/whatever, also.
User avatar
Captain ZeakCytho
 
Posts: 1251
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:36 pm
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Re: Conquer 4. Page 1 + 3

Postby yeti_c on Fri May 16, 2008 4:00 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:i think they look more like buttons now


Disagree with that - they quite obviously go into the screen - look at the shadow man!

C.
Image
Highest score : 2297
User avatar
Lieutenant yeti_c
 
Posts: 9670
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 am
Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Re: Conquer 4. Page 1 + 3

Postby gimil on Fri May 16, 2008 4:15 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:I like the drop shadow, but I think it's too strong.

See my earlier comment on adding an image to each button/hole/whatever, also.


I dont think adding a shape to the the circles is such a great idea. Keeping this image as simple as possible. The simplier the better I think in this case :)
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: Conquer 4. Page 1 + 4

Postby gimil on Fri May 16, 2008 4:22 pm

Image

Edited the drop shadow
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: Conquer 4. Page 1 + 4

Postby cicero on Fri May 16, 2008 4:45 pm

Excuse me jumping late (and admitting I've not read much yet) ...

Having called the map "Conquer*4" ... surely the key should read "each Conquer 4 gains +2" or "each line of 4" ... rather than confusing the issue with "connect 4" ?

"line of 4" = 9 chars, "connect 4" = 9 chars - so no space problem.

Space wise the right edge of the board looks a little cramped where it meets the legend ...

Love & 2cents

Cicero
FREE M-E-Mbership and simple rules. Conquer Club - it's not complicated.

random me statistic @ 13 December 2008 - 1336 posts : 232nd most public posts (not counting Tower of Babble) of all time.
User avatar
Sergeant cicero
 
Posts: 1358
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:51 pm
Location: with the infected neutrals ... handing out maps to help them find their way to CC
Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) General Contribution (3)

Re: Conquer 4. Page 1 + 4

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri May 16, 2008 4:51 pm

[quote="cicero"]Space wise the right edge of the board looks a little cramped where it meets the legend .../quote]

I agree. If you move some of the holes closer together, like Cairns suggested, you could add a vertical divider - a thin red line, like your horizontal dividers between the title and names, or between the sections of the bonus area.

I guess the holes look okay now. The drop shadow is better. There's still a lot of contrast between the white parts of the hole and the board, but barring the addition of an image to the circle, I don't think you can really get around that...Unless, you could just make the background color behind the holes a very very light gray, just slightly off white.

Is there a way to get rid of the drop shadow that's at the bottom of the board while maintaining it for each hole? I don't think it looks especially good at the bottom.
User avatar
Captain ZeakCytho
 
Posts: 1251
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:36 pm
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Re: Conquer 4. Page 1 + 4

Postby cicero on Fri May 16, 2008 5:04 pm

Further to my thought that the map is little cramped near the key I find myself thinking ...

"Combo making" is the art/skill of playing this map ... explicitly spelling out so many of the combos in the key might detract from the fun or , it could be argued, be somewhat redundant.

It seems there are only 2 rules which needs to be explicity stated:
(a) line of 4 = +2
(b) two bonuses may only share one space

... and if anything it's (b) that needs careful explanation - not extra space spent on (a).
FREE M-E-Mbership and simple rules. Conquer Club - it's not complicated.

random me statistic @ 13 December 2008 - 1336 posts : 232nd most public posts (not counting Tower of Babble) of all time.
User avatar
Sergeant cicero
 
Posts: 1358
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:51 pm
Location: with the infected neutrals ... handing out maps to help them find their way to CC
Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) General Contribution (3)

Re: Conquer 4. Page 1 + 4

Postby gimil on Fri May 16, 2008 5:14 pm

Image

Added some more space and shuffled things around a little.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: Conquer 4. Page 1 + 4

Postby Kaplowitz on Fri May 16, 2008 5:27 pm

The title looks like it was stretched up, while the names look like they were stretched sideways. Its not bad, it just looks strange next to each other.
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz
 
Posts: 3088
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: Doin' it for da lulz.
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Re: Conquer 4. Page 1 + 4

Postby gimil on Fri May 16, 2008 5:36 pm

cicero wrote:Further to my thought that the map is little cramped near the key I find myself thinking ...

"Combo making" is the art/skill of playing this map ... explicitly spelling out so many of the combos in the key might detract from the fun or , it could be argued, be somewhat redundant.

It seems there are only 2 rules which needs to be explicity stated:
(a) line of 4 = +2
(b) two bonuses may only share one space

... and if anything it's (b) that needs careful explanation - not extra space spent on (a).


Ill get onto this for the next update :)
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Login