Conquer 4 [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Conquer 4. Page 1 + 4

Postby gimil on Sun May 18, 2008 10:07 am

Some changes . . .

What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: Conquer 4. Page 1 + 5

Postby cairnswk on Mon May 19, 2008 11:59 am

Gimil....luv the last version, which is what i was alluring to in my first comments on design space.
The "buttons" now look more like holes, to my eyes anyway.
Sorry, i can't move it for you. ;)
Private cairnswk

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby Kaplowitz on Mon May 19, 2008 3:03 pm

Explanation:
Two lines of four spaces in a row may only intersect in one place.

Is that good?

And the holes look better btw
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Postby oaktown on Mon May 19, 2008 6:54 pm

This seems pretty "advanced" to me.

Can you do something with the colors of the circles in the legend examples? I have to look closely to tell them apart - the circles demonstrating what it takes to give a bonus should really pop out.

Any thought of making a 4x4 square a victory condition? Unless it's an advanced escalating game, anybody who holds a block of 16 should win anyway.
Captain oaktown

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (12)
General Contribution (5)

Postby bryguy on Tue May 20, 2008 6:59 am

oaktown wrote:Can you do something with the colors of the circles in the legend examples? I have to look closely to tell them apart - the circles demonstrating what it takes to give a bonus should really pop out

I have the same problem, maybe make the circles there all red, and the others bright red
Corporal bryguy

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby yeti_c on Tue May 20, 2008 8:27 am

oaktown wrote:Any thought of making a 4x4 square a victory condition? Unless it's an advanced escalating game, anybody who holds a block of 16 should win anyway.

Personally I really dislike this idea... for a number of reasons.

a) I don't think a +20 bonus is all seeing all powerful on this board (also proved by your "unless" comment)
b) I think this is completely against the ethos of the idea.
c) It would look like shit in the XML
d) It would look like shit in BOB's Objective summary

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby gimil on Fri May 23, 2008 11:46 am

Some reorganisation for rule 2 explaination using animation :D

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: Conquer 4. Page 1 + 5 - Animated!

Postby TaCktiX on Fri May 23, 2008 3:37 pm

The checkmark is a little too oblique, especially next to the bold crossed-out circle. Really good explanation of the rules now. There's plenty of room for creativity bonus-wise, and that's a good thing.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (6)

Postby bryguy on Fri May 23, 2008 3:41 pm

actually it still really confuses me.... but i like the animation!!
Corporal bryguy

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby yeti_c on Fri May 23, 2008 3:44 pm

I think at least 1 more example of a good bonus (i.e. the N) would be good...

As that shows - it is 1 shared space between 2 different lines...

If you use the N - then oscillate the animation so the pulse at different times -to imply that they are different.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby gimil on Fri May 23, 2008 3:46 pm

yeti_c wrote:I think at least 1 more example of a good bonus (i.e. the N) would be good...

As that shows - it is 1 shared space between 2 different lines...

If you use the N - then oscillate the animation so the pulse at different times -to imply that they are different.

C.

I didnt even think about the "N" ill put it in.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby seamusk on Sat May 24, 2008 12:05 am

The animation is cool. It took me a long time to interpret though because I thought it was one example. I thought since they both were next to the same no set symbol that the example was saying that the diagonal on right and straight line on left were incompatible because they shared two spaces. Only they obviously don't. lol. I would remove one and keep one. Probably the diagonal. Or remove the checkmark one and have the top left one be one check four and the top right another that conflicts (uses two of the same). Then have the bottom one be the combination with the flashing illegals with the no set sign.
Captain seamusk

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (9) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (19) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby oaktown on Sat May 24, 2008 9:47 am

Carry on.
Captain oaktown

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (12)
General Contribution (5)

Re: Conquer 4. Page 1 + 5 [I]

Postby gimil on Sun May 25, 2008 11:17 am

Reworked rules 2 a little more.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby cicero on Mon May 26, 2008 3:21 am

Gimil

My thoughts, illustrated below, are that:
  • effectively stating the rules twice is redundant, hence my removing them from below the "CONQUER * 4" title.
  • removing one of the "=4" examples reduces clutter
  • the mixing of a "tick" with a "no entry sign" - when explaining rule 2 - is slightly confused. Perhaps the "=" and struck through opposite are better ?
  • "indicate" is more appropriate than "represent" in the flashing spaces text
Though I've not done it in the image I think it would be useful to remove the top line of spaces in the first example under rule 2 - for consistency with the last example and also to reduce the height of the image. The same 5 or 6 pixels could be lost underneath the map title.
[Excuse my rough graphic work, done by pixel manipulation rather than something more sophisticated ... and breaking your flashing spaces in the process. Some of the fonts/font sizes are certainly wrong too.]
FREE M-E-Mbership and simple rules. Conquer Club - it's not complicated.

random me statistic @ 13 December 2008 - 1336 posts : 232nd most public posts (not counting Tower of Babble) of all time.
Sergeant cicero

Location: with the infected neutrals ... handing out maps to help them find their way to CC
Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) General Contribution (3)

Postby gimil on Mon May 26, 2008 10:05 am

Thanks cicero, yeti is on holiday atm. Well see what he says about this once he gets back.

Any other issues from anyone?

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby t-o-m on Mon May 26, 2008 10:21 am

gimil wrote:Thanks cicero, yeti is on holiday atm. Well see what he says about this once he gets back.

why would anyone go on holiday when you've got CC!
oh that yeti, he's crazy!

gimil wrote:Any other issues from anyone?

i think its good, i like the flashing/glowing bit on the legend, although im slightly confused by it - but anyone can understand how it works anyway.
the "#4 #6" and the other "#4" next to the glowing thing on the legend isnt very bright, but is still readable -but if it was a bit lighter i think it would be better.
overally, wll done =D>
Colonel t-o-m

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby gimil on Mon May 26, 2008 10:25 am

t-o-m wrote:i think its good, i like the flashing/glowing bit on the legend, although im slightly confused by it - but anyone can understand how it works anyway.
the "#4 #6" and the other "#4" next to the glowing thing on the legend isnt very bright, but is still readable -but if it was a bit lighter i think it would be better.
overally, wll done =D>

Your looking at hte wrong image . . .

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby t-o-m on Mon May 26, 2008 10:28 am

gimil wrote:
t-o-m wrote:i think its good, i like the flashing/glowing bit on the legend, although im slightly confused by it - but anyone can understand how it works anyway.
overally, wll done =D>

Your looking at hte wrong image . . .

how embarrassing! :oops:

ok now looking at the right image i see nothing wrong with it!
Colonel t-o-m

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby cairnswk on Sat May 31, 2008 10:53 am

gimil....in the rule 2 example, have you got the correct number of rows and columns showing because one example looks short and doesn't quite represent the correct conquerage if you kwim.
Private cairnswk

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby yeti_c on Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:44 am

cicero wrote:Gimil

My thoughts, illustrated below, are that:
  • effectively stating the rules twice is redundant, hence my removing them from below the "CONQUER * 4" title.
  • removing one of the "=4" examples reduces clutter
  • the mixing of a "tick" with a "no entry sign" - when explaining rule 2 - is slightly confused. Perhaps the "=" and struck through opposite are better ?
  • "indicate" is more appropriate than "represent" in the flashing spaces text
Though I've not done it in the image I think it would be useful to remove the top line of spaces in the first example under rule 2 - for consistency with the last example and also to reduce the height of the image. The same 5 or 6 pixels could be lost underneath the map title.
[Excuse my rough graphic work, done by pixel manipulation rather than something more sophisticated ... and breaking your flashing spaces in the process. Some of the fonts/font sizes are certainly wrong too.]

I think I agree with everything Cicero has said...

Essentially - the Rule #2 examples MUST say how many they actually equal... I like the "Not Equal" bit too.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby oaktown on Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:59 pm

so, how does everybody see a game going down on this map? since there's no place to hide, I'm not sure what a winning strategy will look like... try to carve out a corner? grab the easiest four?

I know that the game is called Conquer Four, but does a set of four have to be called a Conquer Four? What if instead the first line of text said "Conquer Four in a row to create a set: +2" - this way throughout the rest of the legend you can just refer to a Conquer 4 as a set, which is far less clumsy.

Regardless, consider rearranging the legend like this:
1. First line of text as is (or as above).
2. First three examples of connect 4s, as is.
3. "Two (sets/Conquer 4s) may share one space.
4. Second of examples, with pulsating shared circles.
5. Additional rows of examples, current rows 3-6.
6. "Two sets may NOT share more than one space."
7. The three bottom examples with "≠" etc.
Lose the line about pulsating circles - it will be self-explanatory if it's shown right.
Captain oaktown

General Contribution (5)

Postby yeti_c on Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:52 pm

oaktown wrote:so, how does everybody see a game going down on this map? since there's no place to hide, I'm not sure what a winning strategy will look like... try to carve out a corner? grab the easiest four?

I know that the game is called Conquer Four, but does a set of four have to be called a Conquer Four? What if instead the first line of text said "Conquer Four in a row to create a set: +2" - this way throughout the rest of the legend you can just refer to a Conquer 4 as a set, which is far less clumsy.

Regardless, consider rearranging the legend like this:
1. First line of text as is (or as above).
2. First three examples of connect 4s, as is.
3. "Two (sets/Conquer 4s) may share one space.
4. Second of examples, with pulsating shared circles.
5. Additional rows of examples, current rows 3-6.
6. "Two sets may NOT share more than one space."
7. The three bottom examples with "≠" etc.
Lose the line about pulsating circles - it will be self-explanatory if it's shown right.

Hmmm - also good suggestions from Oak...

Especially about the last legend line.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby cicero on Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:51 am

oaktown wrote:Lose the line about pulsating circles - it will be self-explanatory if it's shown right.
yup
FREE M-E-Mbership and simple rules. Conquer Club - it's not complicated.

random me statistic @ 13 December 2008 - 1336 posts : 232nd most public posts (not counting Tower of Babble) of all time.
Sergeant cicero

Location: with the infected neutrals ... handing out maps to help them find their way to CC
Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) General Contribution (3)

Postby gimil on Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:42 am

Reorganised. I want to make sure I got the layout right before I redo the animation.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas