Forbidden City [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Forbidden City V3 - Poll -> Dragons or Lanterns?

Postby ZeakCytho on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:10 am

I voted for lanterns because the dragons are not clear enough, however, I feel you could do something to make the lanterns less bland-looking. I didn't even realize they were lanterns until the poll :oops:.

I agree that the font is a bit hard to read, but if you've been through 50 fonts already, searching any longer might not be worth it.
Captain ZeakCytho

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby TaCktiX on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:33 am

I'm going to say dragons, as they're still China-appropriate, and they declutter what I view as very cluttered map. Also, putting some text effects on the font could help with the general readability (also a major concern of everyone).
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (6)

Postby InkL0sed on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:43 am

I can't resist the dragons -- they're so awesome, especially compared to those boring lanterns.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:34 pm

Thanks guys for those comments.

Current Version.3
Private cairnswk

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:54 am

I'm extending this poll another 7 days, as i don't beleive there has been enough votes/feedback on it yet.
Private cairnswk

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby yeti_c on Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:32 am

I voted for Lanterns - as I'm not 100% sure that you've enough room for the Dragons...

However - Dragons could look a lot better than Lanterns!

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:42 pm

yeti_c wrote:I voted for Lanterns - as I'm not 100% sure that you've enough room for the Dragons...

C.

i agree with you that dragons could look a lot better than lanterns. both of these images are pretty raw on the map, and i noticed one commentor before saying that the dragon looked horrible. That won't be the final version of the dragons, so ye of little faith have faith in the ability of the mapmaker :)
Private cairnswk

Postby whitestazn88 on Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:49 pm

cairnswk wrote:
yeti_c wrote:I voted for Lanterns - as I'm not 100% sure that you've enough room for the Dragons...

C.

i agree with you that dragons could look a lot better than lanterns. both of these images are pretty raw on the map, and i noticed one commentor before saying that the dragon looked horrible. That won't be the final version of the dragons, so ye of little faith have faith in the ability of the mapmaker :)

are you talking about me?

ps. whens the next update?
Sergeant 1st Class whitestazn88

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (1)

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:08 pm

whitestazn88 wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

C.

are you talking about me?

ps. whens the next update?

i don't recall who it was made by, but who made it is of little importance in the overall context.

next update will probably be sometime next week, i'm waiting to see what gets up in the dragons vs lanterns poll -> finishes 30 june. :)
Private cairnswk

Re: Forbidden City V1c [Building Map]

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:56 am

Kaplowitz wrote:I liked the city BG from the first version.
Thanks Kap for that input.
Private cairnswk

Postby Kaplowitz on Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:19 pm

cairnswk wrote:

Are you implying that i should respond to how it looks now?...
I like it, but its a little hard to recognize.
More when i get time...
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:21 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

Are you implying that i should respond to how it looks now?...
I like it, but its a little hard to recognize.
More when i get time...

Not at all...simply to bump. ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:07 pm

last days on the vote!
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:32 pm

cairnswk wrote:last days on the vote!

Bump
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:09 pm

Lanterns it is, I'm disappointed that on 18 people bothered to vote when over 60 voted in the initial poll for this map.
Private cairnswk

Re: Forbidden City V2(P2) - Comments?

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:10 pm

Current Version 2.
Private cairnswk

Re: Forbidden City V2(P5)

Postby gimil on Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:22 pm

Would you prefer Dragons or Lanterns on the outside of this map? (Vote Changeable)

Poll ended at Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:28 am

Dragons
38%

Lanterns
61%

Other
No votes

Total votes : 18

What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: Forbidden City V4(P5) - New Font, legend bits

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:21 pm

Version 4.
The result of the poll is those 18 who voted - a majority want to go with the lanterns.
So, here are some immediate changes....

1. New font - Arial for legibility
2. Small movements in the legend
3. Color change to the Foreigners lanterns
4. 65% glow applied around the text names.
5. Eunuchs colour on terts increased in intensity to match what is in he legend
6. Tower names left off map previously - now applied.
7. Flags moved inside the 8 Nation Alliance houses

To do:
1. Bonuses
2. Apply same style to all Emperor's images

Private cairnswk

Re: Forbidden City V4(P5) - New font/colors adjustments

Postby gimil on Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:24 pm

[adv. idea]
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: Forbidden City V5(P5) - Bonuses Added

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:38 pm

Version 5.

Bonuses added. Please discuss.

Private cairnswk

Re: Forbidden City V5(P5) - Bonuses added - please discuss!

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:13 am

Any thoughts on this?
Private cairnswk

Postby TaCktiX on Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:49 pm

A few grammar corrections:
- You typoed E. Pao, putting E. Poa instead
- On the left when referring to the emperor attack routes, you say mendian instead of median

Also, I'm not sure on the attack routes on the outer bonuses. Is it only the immediate adjacent territory, or every single one that it connects to? The solid un-ending lines confuse me.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (6)

Postby ZeakCytho on Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:51 pm

TaCktiX wrote:- On the left when referring to the emperor attack routes, you say mendian instead of median

I thought it said meridian?
Captain ZeakCytho

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby Sir. Ricco on Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:56 pm

Gates and the Tower bonuses I think are fine. Each one can be attacked so I think you did a good job on those.

I think the gradens (If there are only two, I have a hard time telling) should be knocked down to 1 or 2.

All the other bonuses look good to me. I like the way its going. Keep up the Good Work.

I just have a problem.
The colors in the Legends and hard to match up with the colors on the Map.
And Priests 1 is the wrong color but I am sure you saw that.
Captain Sir. Ricco

Medals: 53
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (31)

Postby Qwert on Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:27 pm

by cairnswk on Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:21 pm

Version 4.
The result of the poll is those 18 who voted - a majority want to go with the lanterns.
So, here are some immediate changes....

1. New font - Arial for legibility
2. Small movements in the legend
3. Color change to the Foreigners lanterns
4. 65% glow applied around the text names.
5. Eunuchs colour on terts increased in intensity to match what is in he legend
6. Tower names left off map previously - now applied.
7. Flags moved inside the 8 Nation Alliance houses

well i will try to give some opinion.
1.Font OK,but i notice that its to light text,can you put to be more darken,like K Tang Army.
2.No idea
3.Hmm,again text need to be darken.
4.Dont know what i supouse to say.

Abouth Bonuses,well mine policy is to not mess in maker decision for bonuses,after all you will better know what is best for map.I belive that you have some formula for creating bonuses value,so aim ok with that. ;)
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Medals: 77
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (6)
Training Achievement (2) Map Contribution (8) Tournament Contribution (22) General Contribution (4)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas