Conquer Club

USA Map Pack [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: USA Map Pack [Quenched]

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:33 am

a.sub wrote::lol: u have to appreciate the irony in that you can make a gorgeous map with such detail and miss a big thing like the background, actually that everyone missed that lol, oh well, either way i wouldnta cared, its a great map either way
My thoughts exactly. lol
Major WidowMakers

Postby Gilligan on Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:37 am

For one I don't use the large map. 8-[
Captain Gilligan

Postby TaCktiX on Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:52 pm

Plymouth is missing its U in New England (it's "Plymoth" on the XML).
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby fumandomuerte on Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:41 pm

On the USA southeast map Columbus is not connected at least with Atlanta & Dalton

EDIT 1: I mean, when reinforcing.

EDIT 2: So weird, it works now.

Game 4246718
Captain fumandomuerte

Postby sailorseal on Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:46 pm

Playing Rockies, love the map, very fun game.
You rock!
Cook sailorseal

Postby tarman2010 on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:02 pm

On the Great Lakes Map, there is a territory marked as "Staunton" on the map. However, in the XML it is "Stauton".
Corporal tarman2010

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:39 pm

Sorry. Two more fixes
TaCktiX wrote:Plymouth is missing its U in New England (it's "Plymoth" on the XML).

XML needs the "u" added
tarman2010 wrote:On the Great Lakes Map, there is a territory marked as "Staunton" on the map. However, in the XML it is "Stauton".

XML needs the "n" added

Sent this to Lack
Major WidowMakers

Postby blakebowling on Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:38 pm

WidowMakers wrote:Sorry. Two more fixes
TaCktiX wrote:Plymouth is missing its U in New England (it's "Plymoth" on the XML).

XML needs the "u" added
tarman2010 wrote:On the Great Lakes Map, there is a territory marked as "Staunton" on the map. However, in the XML it is "Stauton".

XML needs the "n" added

Sent this to Lack

Who checked this xml :lol:
Private blakebowling

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:59 pm

blakebowling wrote:Who checked this xml :lol:
TO be fair, there are 6 maps and there have only been 3 XML issues.
Major WidowMakers

Postby SurgeonGeneral on Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:42 am

On USA Rockies, it is geographically incorrect. For example, ND, SD, NE and KS are all plains states, none have a very mountainous region to them except for SD which has the Black hills which is in no part related to the Rockies. Also some of the main states are left out, including the highest peak of the Rocky Mountains which bears its home in Alaska. The states that are not on this map but have clearly more of the mountains contained within are NM, TX, and AL. Washington also contains a small amount of the Rocky Mountains. That's just my input so far, haven't really explored the others much. I just noticed those obvious mistakes at first glance.

Highest Rank Achieved: 1596 Image Sergeant 1st Class
Cook SurgeonGeneral

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:19 am

SurgeonGeneral wrote:On USA Rockies, it is geographically incorrect. For example, ND, SD, NE and KS are all plains states, none have a very mountainous region to them except for SD which has the Black hills which is in no part related to the Rockies. Also some of the main states are left out, including the highest peak of the Rocky Mountains which bears its home in Alaska. The states that are not on this map but have clearly more of the mountains contained within are NM, TX, and AL. Washington also contains a small amount of the Rocky Mountains. That's just my input so far, haven't really explored the others much. I just noticed those obvious mistakes at first glance.

It is not a mistake!!! The names are based on the USA map bonus regions. I took the states from there (USA map) and turned them into 6 maps. I am not going to explain this again. :D :D
Major WidowMakers

Postby djawshua on Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:57 am

Hey Widow,
Love the new map ideas! Thats a big project and cudos for you to taking it on. My one criticism is the accuracy of cities on the New England map. We Vermonters don't usually get our own map, heck most people think we are part of NEw York as it is. When you finalise this map could you please make some small adjustments to accurately represent the VT towns and their locations. The location you have for Rutland is really Bennington, and Rutland is really where you have marked Montpelier, finaly Burlington is on the VT and NY border, right on Lake Champlain. Small peanuts really in the scope of work you're doing, but I love seeing VT in there and would be thrilled if it was acurately portrayed to people who have never been here. Thanks for considering these thoughts, best of luck to you with these maps!
Lieutenant djawshua

Postby sailorseal on Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:24 pm

I am sure this has been suggested but can you add a text explaining that the symbols indicate which state is which, it took me a while to figure out...
Cook sailorseal

Postby The Neon Peon on Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:42 pm

sailorseal wrote:I am sure this has been suggested but can you add a text explaining that the symbols indicate which state is which, it took me a while to figure out...

Sorry, but I am opposed to maps having common sense put on them. You might as well start saying: "The minimap represents the larger map and not some other location"
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:59 pm

sailorseal wrote:I am sure this has been suggested but can you add a text explaining that the symbols indicate which state is which, it took me a while to figure out...
Sorry but no. That would just ruin the look and feel of the map. I need to agree with Neon here

The Neon Peon wrote:Sorry, but I am opposed to maps having common sense put on them. You might as well start saying: "The minimap represents the larger map and not some other location"

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby Gouletawitz on Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:23 pm

Question: Why is the symbol on the state of ew Hampshire a fish? I live in New England and am pretty sure New Hampshire is landlocked. =) Just wondering.
Cadet Gouletawitz

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:14 pm

djawshua wrote:The location you have for Rutland is really Bennington, and Rutland is really where you have marked Montpelier, finaly Burlington is on the VT and NY border, right on Lake Champlain.

What if we change:
Rutland to Bennington
and
Burlington to Newport
Major WidowMakers

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:17 pm

Gouletawitz wrote:Question: Why is the symbol on the state of ew Hampshire a fish? I live in New England and am pretty sure New Hampshire is landlocked. =) Just wondering.

Brook Trout are the State fish of New Hampshire
Major WidowMakers

Postby thedestro on Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:03 pm

WidowMakers wrote:
Gouletawitz wrote:Question: Why is the symbol on the state of ew Hampshire a fish? I live in New England and am pretty sure New Hampshire is landlocked. =) Just wondering.

The Apple Blossom is the State Flower of Michigan. What's your point?
Sergeant 1st Class thedestro

Postby the.killing.44 on Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:39 pm

His point is that the fish are something that represents the state. And c'mon dude, New Hampshire landlocked? The name "Plymouth" ring a bell? Read up on your history ;)

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:41 pm

thedestro wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:

My point is these maps were up for a LONG time. I asked anyone who wanted to give input to do so. No one said anything about the fish. If they had, I would have done my best to fix it. It is not like I used a penguin or a walrus or a coconut icon. It is the state fish. Many other states used state animals or plants.

But now that the maps are done I will not just change anything for anyone that comes in and complains. If I do that, these maps would never get out of BETA. And if you were not a member of this site before the maps went live or were done, I can't help you there either. I would just recommend that you keep an eye out in the foundry to help me and others along in future maps so they are as good as they can be.

The things we will be changing for BEAT are HUGE city issues (two are listed above) and GP issues. Some cities might not be in the prefect spot but that was already discussed and explained that this cannot always be perfect. The space and sizes or some states required "adjusting" the position of cities.

1) ICONS will not be edited.
2) CITIES Locations (and thus possibly city renaming) may take place depending on the scope and changes requested.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby a.sub on Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:09 pm

thedestro wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:

sarcasm doenst help ur point, it just make people hate u more, ESPECIALLY if you sarcastic to the person you are asking something of
Cadet a.sub

Postby keiths31 on Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:22 pm

Just want to say the maps look great...look forward to hosting a tournament on them soon. And if oyu are bored...you could take a crack at doing the same thing with the Canada map 8-)
Corporal 1st Class keiths31

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:35 pm

keiths31 wrote:And if oyu are bored...you could take a crack at doing the same thing with the Canada map 8-)
HAHA. If I am bored? I have more things to do now than ever. But that is not a bad idea. However, I think map packs will be on the back of my to-do list for a while.

I am glad you like the maps.
WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby Bruceswar on Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:56 pm

WidowMakers wrote:
keiths31 wrote:And if oyu are bored...you could take a crack at doing the same thing with the Canada map 8-)
HAHA. If I am bored? I have more things to do now than ever. But that is not a bad idea. However, I think map packs will be on the back of my to-do list for a while.

I am glad you like the maps.
WM

Personally before any more map packs come out PLEASE Draknor Level 2 :D
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas