Conquer Club

USA Map Pack [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: USA 6 Region Map Pack

Postby ZeakCytho on Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:01 am

I agree with basically everything Ditocoaf said.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby yeti_c on Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:38 am

My votes:

A:1
B:1
C:1
D:1 (This must stay at 1 - as this also "CB proogs" your maps.)

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:53 am

yeti_c wrote:My votes:

C.
What???
Major WidowMakers

Postby yeti_c on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:01 am

WidowMakers wrote:
yeti_c wrote:My votes:

C.
What???

Scuse the typo - that was meant to be "CB Proofs" - i.e. Colourblind Proofs!

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:50 pm

I agree with some of the earlier sentiments about the cities and roads...regarding them as a "closer look of the USA map." I like 'em.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby fireedud on Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:53 pm

For all the freeways, highways, etc. It might help if you put the sign on the road like in the legend. (E.G. put the sign and the number 80 on route 80).
me have no sig
Cook fireedud

Postby dittoeevee8888 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:44 pm

WidowMakers wrote:So things to do:

A) Agree on bonuses:
    Option 1) State / Interstate / Captial (current)
    Option 2) State / Capital
    Option 3) State Only

B) Agree on Territory Layout:
    Option 1) Cities and roads (current)
    Option 2) Regions and borders

C) Agree on Colors (territory):
    Option 1) Keep same color scheme as USA map based on region (current)
    Option 2) Switch up colors to help distinguish bonuses, regardless of region and current USA map colors

D) Agree on Territory Icons and Icon Colors:
    Option 1) Use symbols/icons that represent a resource / industry / wildlife / plant /state ?? and use those to help differentiate the state from others (current)
    Option 2) See (C). Switch up colors and have no icons.

After all of these get worked out I will update the map accordingly and we can than start to talk bonus values and border or road connection tweaks. I can then also finish teh last 2.5 maps (SE, GL and NE) and we can keep moving along.

So please post you comments
Thanks
WM

My votes:
A) 2
B) 1
C) 1 (though probably could change the rockies to make a little more purpley so that it's not too blue)
D) 1
Sergeant 1st Class dittoeevee8888

Postby Keredrex on Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:54 pm

Awesoome DO IT.... Have you done North And South East Yet?
Sergeant 1st Class Keredrex

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 pm

Keredrex wrote:Awesoome DO IT.... Have you done North And South East Yet?
I have the basic layout done but I don't want to finish them until we get gameplay sorted out. I think I will setup a poll and see where that goes.

WM

EDIT: The gameplay BONUS poll is up and going for 7 days. Please vote so we can get a good idea of the direction we should be heading. Also please feel free to post why you voted a particular way.
Major WidowMakers

Re: USA 6 Region Map Pack - BONUS POLL OPEN

Postby Optimus Prime on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:45 am

I voted to have the State Bonuses and Capital Bonuses, but no highway bonuses. I think the two options is plenty without really complicating the gameplay too much on these maps which will be small.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby BrianHoef on Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:42 pm

I really like this; I'd play these maps now.

D:1

Regarding the Rockies map being "too blue," it just made me think cold and wintry, which is appropriate. I wouldn't call it a problem.
Maps in development:

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=50372
Fall of Rome: 476 A.D. - Experiment in straight-up conquest. No continent bonuses, no bonuses tied to specific regions.
Private 1st Class BrianHoef

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:29 pm

Vote People Vote!!!!!
Major WidowMakers

Postby Lone.prophet on Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:05 am

to start with, nice idea, ofcourse graphics needs to be better but not worried about that,

and i miss the vote for state+interstate and no capital bonus. cause thats what i would like to see :)
Captain Lone.prophet

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:27 am

Lone.prophet wrote:to start with, nice idea, ofcourse graphics needs to be better but not worried about that,

and i miss the vote for state+interstate and no capital bonus. cause thats what i would like to see :)
That is because I don't want that one. :D If there are two bonuses it will be the capital not the interstate. That is why that option does not exist.

The maps are more informative with capitals. Not that that is a primary goal or anything but I have learned quite a bit about geography from CC. I don't see any reason these maps should be different. I know that people outside USA might not care. But I think that these can only help people int eh USA who don't have a clue about all of the capitals (myself included)

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby mibi on Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:03 am

The capital of Louisiana is Baton Rouge.
Captain mibi

Postby Ditocoaf on Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:53 am

Yes to state capitals: 9+8=17
No to state capitals: 3

Yes to interstate: 9
No to interstate: 3+8= 11

So far the poll says yes to state capitals, no to interstate bonuses. I voted for option number three, but w/e. As long as there's not the overlapping interstate bonuses... ;)

>----------✪ Try to take down the champion in the continuous IPW/GIL tournament! ✪----------<

Note to self: THINK LESS LIVE MORE
Private 1st Class Ditocoaf

Postby Ditocoaf on Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:54 am

Another reason to not have the interstate bonus: They'll be so hard to hold, all stretched out like that, that you'll really only be able to hold them if you're a indestructible force already.

>----------✪ Try to take down the champion in the continuous IPW/GIL tournament! ✪----------<

Note to self: THINK LESS LIVE MORE
Private 1st Class Ditocoaf

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:04 am

mibi wrote:The capital of Louisiana is Baton Rouge.

Thanks. I have no idea how I did that.
Major WidowMakers

Postby Natewolfman on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:24 am

Love this idea, and thank you 100% from those of us who work in the tourny area prodominantly.

I voted option 2,

REASON: interstate bonus makes the maps slightly more complex, not alot, but enough that i feel takes away from the original USA map which is your basic continent bonus only type map...

MAJOR PROBLEM : [rant] lol, ok this is a personal thing but... in Nebraska... I live in Omaha... and yet maps like the rockies here, and dust bowl ALWAYS seem to forget this city... even though its a million person city, AND 1/3 of our states entire population is in this city :evil: lol, always annoys me that people thing "nebraska? you must be a farmer" lol, then when our big city gets missed... *lame* [/rant]

that aside i 100% LOVE the idea! cant wait for it to come out :D :D
Sergeant 1st Class Natewolfman

Postby barterer2002 on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:31 am

Great idea here WM. To comment on an earlier concern that this would preclude making state specific maps-I have to disagree. As a TO I would love to have a tourney where we progress from cities (NYC, Chicago, San Fran, Puget and more more more) to states to regions to USA (and maybe beyond to N Am and 2.1). From my point of view, the more maps the better.

I can go either way on the interstate bonus, I voted in favor but it wouldn't really matter to me either way but I do like the caps bonus.

If you really wanted to make S E divisible by 8 you could take out 4 of the less major cities (Decatur AL, West Palm Beach FL, Grenada MS, Wilmington NC would be my choices) on the other hand I like the varied aspect of the number of terts (24-40 (or will Great Lakes get up to 48 or 56?)

As a concept I like the idea and the only reason I can think of that I wouldn't use it in a tournament is that there are too many others running similar tourneys.
Sergeant barterer2002

Postby Natewolfman on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:48 am

barterer2002 wrote:As a concept I like the idea and the only reason I can think of that I wouldn't use it in a tournament is that there are too many others running similar tourneys.

heh, i could see this being used on the scale of WWII tournaments... always seem one pops up every month or so :lol:

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:48 am

Natewolfman wrote:Love this idea, and thank you 100% from those of us who work in the tourny area prodominantly.

I voted option 2,

REASON: interstate bonus makes the maps slightly more complex, not alot, but enough that i feel takes away from the original USA map which is your basic continent bonus only type map...

MAJOR PROBLEM : [rant] lol, ok this is a personal thing but... in Nebraska... I live in Omaha... and yet maps like the rockies here, and dust bowl ALWAYS seem to forget this city... even though its a million person city, AND 1/3 of our states entire population is in this city :evil: lol, always annoys me that people thing "nebraska? you must be a farmer" lol, then when our big city gets missed... *lame* [/rant]

that aside i 100% LOVE the idea! cant wait for it to come out :D :D
Thanks. I hope it turns out to be a good tourney apck of maps.

As far as Omaha goes, I missed that too. When you posted the issue I said to myself "Did i not put Omaha? I thought I did." And I didn't. I think it was due to the fact that it is close to the capital. I can take out Wayne and add Omaha .

Thanks for keeping me on my toes. This is the type of suggestion i want.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:51 am

barterer2002 wrote:If you really wanted to make S E divisible by 8 you could take out 4 of the less major cities (Decatur AL, West Palm Beach FL, Grenada MS, Wilmington NC would be my choices) on the other hand I like the varied aspect of the number of terts (24-40 (or will Great Lakes get up to 48 or 56?)
The GL is 48 and New Eng is 32.

I could take SE down to 32. That will definitely be a gameplay decision an I am not opposed to it.

Lets just wait till the bonuses are figured out and then we can tackle each map as far as terts go. Thanks for the comments

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby Natewolfman on Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:05 am

WidowMakers wrote:As far as Omaha goes, I missed that too. When you posted the issue I said to myself "Did i not put Omaha? I thought I did." And I didn't. I think it was due to the fact that it is close to the capital. I can take out Wayne and add Omaha .

Thanks for keeping me on my toes. This is the type of suggestion i want.

WM

lol, sweet 8-)

Postby Marfski on Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:32 pm

GREAT idea! Love all the maps! I can really see them working in tournaments and I definitely like having more simple maps because I don't do any tournaments with the more complicated maps. Probably the only drawback I see is that OP might have trouble keeping us all from stampeding each other in our haste to post our tourney first. No really OP......I know I pm'd you first requesting privileges.....
Sergeant Marfski

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas