USA Map Pack [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: USA 6 Region Map Pack - BONUS POLL OPEN

Postby BrianHoef on Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:42 pm

I really like this; I'd play these maps now.

A:1
B:1
C:1
D:1

Regarding the Rockies map being "too blue," it just made me think cold and wintry, which is appropriate. I wouldn't call it a problem.
Maps in development:

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=50372
Fall of Rome: 476 A.D. - Experiment in straight-up conquest. No continent bonuses, no bonuses tied to specific regions.
Private 1st Class BrianHoef

Medals: 1
Standard Achievement (1)

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:29 pm

Vote People Vote!!!!!
Colonel WidowMakers

Medals: 72
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (11) Map Contribution (21) General Contribution (14)

Postby Lone.prophet on Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:05 am

to start with, nice idea, ofcourse graphics needs to be better but not worried about that,

and i miss the vote for state+interstate and no capital bonus. cause thats what i would like to see :)
Captain Lone.prophet

Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Map Contribution (1)

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:27 am

Lone.prophet wrote:to start with, nice idea, ofcourse graphics needs to be better but not worried about that,

and i miss the vote for state+interstate and no capital bonus. cause thats what i would like to see :)
That is because I don't want that one. :D If there are two bonuses it will be the capital not the interstate. That is why that option does not exist.

The maps are more informative with capitals. Not that that is a primary goal or anything but I have learned quite a bit about geography from CC. I don't see any reason these maps should be different. I know that people outside USA might not care. But I think that these can only help people int eh USA who don't have a clue about all of the capitals (myself included)

WM
Colonel WidowMakers

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (11) Map Contribution (21) General Contribution (14)

Postby mibi on Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:03 am

The capital of Louisiana is Baton Rouge.
Captain mibi

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Postby Ditocoaf on Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:53 am

Yes to state capitals: 9+8=17
No to state capitals: 3

Yes to interstate: 9
No to interstate: 3+8= 11

So far the poll says yes to state capitals, no to interstate bonuses. I voted for option number three, but w/e. As long as there's not the overlapping interstate bonuses... ;)

>----------✪ Try to take down the champion in the continuous IPW/GIL tournament! ✪----------<

Note to self: THINK LESS LIVE MORE
Private 1st Class Ditocoaf

Medals: 2
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby Ditocoaf on Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:54 am

Another reason to not have the interstate bonus: They'll be so hard to hold, all stretched out like that, that you'll really only be able to hold them if you're a indestructible force already.

>----------✪ Try to take down the champion in the continuous IPW/GIL tournament! ✪----------<

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:04 am

mibi wrote:The capital of Louisiana is Baton Rouge.

Thanks. I have no idea how I did that.
Colonel WidowMakers

Postby Natewolfman on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:24 am

Love this idea, and thank you 100% from those of us who work in the tourny area prodominantly.

I voted option 2,

REASON: interstate bonus makes the maps slightly more complex, not alot, but enough that i feel takes away from the original USA map which is your basic continent bonus only type map...

MAJOR PROBLEM : [rant] lol, ok this is a personal thing but... in Nebraska... I live in Omaha... and yet maps like the rockies here, and dust bowl ALWAYS seem to forget this city... even though its a million person city, AND 1/3 of our states entire population is in this city :evil: lol, always annoys me that people thing "nebraska? you must be a farmer" lol, then when our big city gets missed... *lame* [/rant]

that aside i 100% LOVE the idea! cant wait for it to come out :D :D
Sergeant 1st Class Natewolfman

Medals: 75
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (11) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (30) General Contribution (1)

Postby barterer2002 on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:31 am

Great idea here WM. To comment on an earlier concern that this would preclude making state specific maps-I have to disagree. As a TO I would love to have a tourney where we progress from cities (NYC, Chicago, San Fran, Puget and more more more) to states to regions to USA (and maybe beyond to N Am and 2.1). From my point of view, the more maps the better.

I can go either way on the interstate bonus, I voted in favor but it wouldn't really matter to me either way but I do like the caps bonus.

If you really wanted to make S E divisible by 8 you could take out 4 of the less major cities (Decatur AL, West Palm Beach FL, Grenada MS, Wilmington NC would be my choices) on the other hand I like the varied aspect of the number of terts (24-40 (or will Great Lakes get up to 48 or 56?)

As a concept I like the idea and the only reason I can think of that I wouldn't use it in a tournament is that there are too many others running similar tourneys.
Lieutenant barterer2002

Medals: 105
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (19) General Achievement (10) Clan Achievement (7) Tournament Contribution (33) General Contribution (2)

Postby Natewolfman on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:48 am

barterer2002 wrote:As a concept I like the idea and the only reason I can think of that I wouldn't use it in a tournament is that there are too many others running similar tourneys.

heh, i could see this being used on the scale of WWII tournaments... always seem one pops up every month or so :lol:

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (11) General Achievement (2)

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:48 am

Natewolfman wrote:Love this idea, and thank you 100% from those of us who work in the tourny area prodominantly.

I voted option 2,

REASON: interstate bonus makes the maps slightly more complex, not alot, but enough that i feel takes away from the original USA map which is your basic continent bonus only type map...

MAJOR PROBLEM : [rant] lol, ok this is a personal thing but... in Nebraska... I live in Omaha... and yet maps like the rockies here, and dust bowl ALWAYS seem to forget this city... even though its a million person city, AND 1/3 of our states entire population is in this city :evil: lol, always annoys me that people thing "nebraska? you must be a farmer" lol, then when our big city gets missed... *lame* [/rant]

that aside i 100% LOVE the idea! cant wait for it to come out :D :D
Thanks. I hope it turns out to be a good tourney apck of maps.

As far as Omaha goes, I missed that too. When you posted the issue I said to myself "Did i not put Omaha? I thought I did." And I didn't. I think it was due to the fact that it is close to the capital. I can take out Wayne and add Omaha .

Thanks for keeping me on my toes. This is the type of suggestion i want.

WM
Colonel WidowMakers

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:51 am

barterer2002 wrote:If you really wanted to make S E divisible by 8 you could take out 4 of the less major cities (Decatur AL, West Palm Beach FL, Grenada MS, Wilmington NC would be my choices) on the other hand I like the varied aspect of the number of terts (24-40 (or will Great Lakes get up to 48 or 56?)
The GL is 48 and New Eng is 32.

I could take SE down to 32. That will definitely be a gameplay decision an I am not opposed to it.

Lets just wait till the bonuses are figured out and then we can tackle each map as far as terts go. Thanks for the comments

WM
Colonel WidowMakers

Postby Natewolfman on Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:05 am

WidowMakers wrote:As far as Omaha goes, I missed that too. When you posted the issue I said to myself "Did i not put Omaha? I thought I did." And I didn't. I think it was due to the fact that it is close to the capital. I can take out Wayne and add Omaha .

Thanks for keeping me on my toes. This is the type of suggestion i want.

WM

lol, sweet 8-)

Postby Marfski on Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:32 pm

GREAT idea! Love all the maps! I can really see them working in tournaments and I definitely like having more simple maps because I don't do any tournaments with the more complicated maps. Probably the only drawback I see is that OP might have trouble keeping us all from stampeding each other in our haste to post our tourney first. No really OP......I know I pm'd you first requesting privileges.....
Sergeant Marfski

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1)
Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby Serbia on Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:58 pm

This is a GREAT idea! Hope this gets pushed through quickly!

I personally voted for only the State bonuses. I like simple maps with simple bonuses, for the most part. Second option for me would be State plus Capital bonus.

Also WM, if you need some guys to help test play the maps... ;)
Captain Serbia

Medals: 80
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (9) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (6)

Postby Ditocoaf on Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:51 pm

Ditocoaf wrote:Yes to state capitals: 11+14=25
No to state capitals: 5

Yes to interstate: 11
No to interstate: 5+14= 19

So far the poll says yes to state capitals, no to interstate bonuses. I voted for option number three, but w/e. As long as there's not the overlapping interstate bonuses... ;)

updated

Postby hulmey on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:39 pm

Are these map intended for 1 vs 1 Tournaments coz they seem rather small?
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:32 am

hulmey wrote:Are these map intended for 1 vs 1 Tournaments coz they seem rather small?
They are all bigger than Doodle Earth. And with an 8 player game all players start with at least 3 terst. So no.

WM
Colonel WidowMakers

Postby dittoeevee8888 on Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:25 am

I voted for #1 because I think it looks sort of plain without it, but I could be open to any other option...
Sergeant 1st Class dittoeevee8888

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (15)

Postby Keredrex on Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:55 pm

I Voted ALL... But add some variables. For Instance you don't get the Capital Bonus If you already control the STATE. That way it doesnt become to Clutered With BONUSES.

CORRECTION .. Just realized the capital bonus is for multiple caps. My vote still stands for th 1st choice - All oF Them

But did u consider making Each capital a +1 Auto deploy or something...And no bonus for multiple capitals ths would fit my suggestion above
Lieutenant Keredrex

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:31 pm

Keredrex wrote:I Voted ALL... But add some variables. For Instance you don't get the Capital Bonus If you already control the STATE. That way it doesnt become to Clutered With BONUSES.

CORRECTION .. Just realized the capital bonus is for multiple caps. My vote still stands for th 1st choice - All oF Them

But did u consider making Each capital a +1 Auto deploy or something...And no bonus for multiple capitals this would fit my suggestion above
The problem with that is that no territories start neutral. On the Great lakes region 13 territories would start with an auto deploy of +1. A person could possible start with all of them and really clean up.

WM
Colonel WidowMakers

Postby hulmey on Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:03 am

WidowMakers wrote:
hulmey wrote:Are these map intended for 1 vs 1 Tournaments coz they seem rather small?
They are all bigger than Doodle Earth. And with an 8 player game all players start with at least 3 terst. So no.

WM

I really like the idea you are creating but i have some concerns about the size of the maps your offering. A good dubs match would need at least 44 countries and you dont seem to have that many!!

Even trips and quad tournaments would play badly on this map! Am i missing something here?
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:25 am

hulmey wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:

WM

I really like the idea you are creating but i have some concerns about the size of the maps your offering. A good dubs match would need at least 44 countries and you dont seem to have that many!!

Even trips and quad tournaments would play badly on this map! Am i missing something here?
I really don't see your point. Maybe I am missing something. Here are the territory counts as of now.

Territories
West (24)
Rockies (40)
S.West (32)
S.East (36)
Great Lakes (48)
New England (32)

Starting terts

-8 Player - All of them are divisible by 8 with no remained (except SE)
West (3)
Rockies (5)
S.West (4)
S.East (4) remainer 4
Great Lakes (6)
New England (4)

-6 player - All are divisible by 6 (with Rockies have 4 neutrals and SW and NE having 2)
West (4)
Rockies (6) remained 4
S.West (5) remained 2
S.East (6) remained 4
Great Lakes (8)
New England (5) remained 2

Does this make sense?

WM
Colonel WidowMakers

Postby yeti_c on Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:15 am

hulmey wrote:I really like the idea you are creating but i have some concerns about the size of the maps your offering. A good dubs match would need at least 44 countries and you dont seem to have that many!!

44 - is possibly one of the worst numbers of starting territories for a 4 player doubles. (Only beaten by 48)

This lets the people who go first get themselves upto 12 territories. - thus ensuring early bonuses.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Medals: 46
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas