Conquer Club

Indian Empire [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Indian Empire (was British India) page 6

Postby a.sub on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:49 pm

*checks for gimil* 8-[ 8-[

Honk for a quench!
HONK

*double checks for gimil* 8-[ 8-[

jk, i dont see anythign wrong but im prolly not the best person to take advice from :lol:
Cadet a.sub

Postby iancanton on Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:14 pm

farther india is the only safe place, so +4 (maybe even +3) makes it too attractive. perhaps we need +2 to avoid a rush for the corner in most games.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby oaktown on Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:14 am

Click image to enlarge.

No major changes, but...

iancanton wrote:farther india is the only safe place, so +4 (maybe even +3) makes it too attractive. perhaps we need +2 to avoid a rush for the corner in most games.

+2 seems a bit weak for a seven territory region with nowhere to go - once you hold that region, you're up against an eleven territory region that bottlenecks in Behar, a bottleneck which can work for you or against you. But I agree that +4 was a bit steep, and I've dropped it to 3.

Overall, this is a map with no obvious easy start, and I personally like it that way. Maps with one good start annoy me unless I happen to be the player who gets that start. The rail connections look about as good as any of the edge borders.
Captain oaktown

Postby oaktown on Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:16 am

oaktown wrote:
Click image to enlarge.

No major changes, but...

iancanton wrote:farther india is the only safe place, so +4 (maybe even +3) makes it too attractive. perhaps we need +2 to avoid a rush for the corner in most games.

+2 seems a bit weak for a seven territory region with nowhere to go - once you hold that region, you're up against an eleven territory region that bottlenecks in Behar, a bottleneck which can work for you or against you. But I agree that +4 was a bit steep, and I've dropped it to 3.

Overall, this is a map with no obvious easy start, and I personally like it that way. Maps with one good start annoy me unless I happen to be the player who gets that start. The rail connections look about as good as any of the edge borders.

captainwalrus wrote:What is left to be done on this? It doesn't have that many posts but I'm having trouble finding problems. I'd say this could be on the final forge very soon.

No, not many posts, but the visuals came largely from my Brazil revamp effort, so I had a head start.
Captain oaktown

Re: Indian Empire (was British India) page 7

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:29 am

The only thing that concerns me is the +3 for farther India. It will be hard to get at first - so a high bonus is desirable. But right now, if you expand to Behar, you can hold that +3 from just one territory. This would be a big problem in no cards games, I believe. But at the same time, decreasing the bonus will make life hard for anyone who drops there.

What if you made an attack route from Calcutta to Arracan? Arracan is already a border, so it doesn't make the continent any harder to capture/defend initially, but it makes the player hold two borders to defend the continent after expansion to Behar. This is more justified for the +3, I think.

From a purely colorblind perspective, I can't tell the difference between the Northern Territories and Bombay Presidency. Since they're labeled, this is not a huge issue, and I assume Sindh is part of Bombay because of where the impassables fall, but if it's not too much trouble, could you tweak the color of one of them to be a bit more distinct?

Also, you label Afghanistan at the far west of the map, but have no comparable label at the far east. I'm not sure what the region was called at the time - French Indochina? To the north of that, China? But it seems that there should be label(s) there.

Really, this map is looking good.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:33 am

I agree with ZeakCytho as above 100%...very good indeed.

oaktown wrote:
The Neon Peon wrote:Just wondering... could you make a series of maps in this style? like the Japan and Brazil maps. Just old maps of the world in that book of yours.

I certainly could - and between my Brazil revamp entry, a short-lived attempt at Japan, and this, you could say I already have made a series! But in the end, it would be a bit boring both for me and for the site. I think it's a nice look, but I'm not sure it's that nice.

And you'd be in danger of doing the same thing that you are encouraging other mapmakers not to do and that is present that same old same old. Sorry. But gotta get that one off my chest. I'm sure you'll agree. ;)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby HungrySomali on Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:49 am

I cant find any obvious gameplay errors and the map looks wonderful. I really like the feel. I cant wait to play.
Corporal HungrySomali

Postby oaktown on Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:29 am

cairnswk wrote:
oaktown wrote:... But in the end, it would be a bit boring both for me and for the site. I think it's a nice look, but I'm not sure it's that nice.

And you'd be in danger of doing the same thing that you are encouraging other mapmakers not to do and that is present that same old same old. Sorry. But gotta get that one off my chest. I'm sure you'll agree. ;)

No apologies necessary... you're just supporting how I already feel. Believe me, nobody is a bigger critic of my work than I am.

Anyway, thanks to ZeakCytho et. al. for the recent feedback... always nice to have some direction. :)
Captain oaktown

Postby Ogrecrusher on Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:12 pm

Farther India continent colour doesn't match the colour of the highlight in the legend.
Colonel Ogrecrusher

Postby lostatlimbo on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:28 am

This is a very nice looking map! Look forward to playing it.
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Postby a.sub on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:41 am

which stamps does it have?
Cadet a.sub

Postby the.killing.44 on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:49 am

a.sub wrote:which stamps does it have?

Just draft by my looking ā€¦ gimil and ian get in here!

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby sailorseal on Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:14 am

When army numbers are added because of the way you have placed the names I feel that they will be oddly positioned. Can you change that? Also what stamps has this map received?
Cook sailorseal

Postby Premier2k on Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:27 am

Nice map Oaktown, love the fact that it's on a journal/book.

Premier2k
Cadet Premier2k

Re: Indian Empire (D) page 7

Postby oaktown on Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:24 am

Click image to enlarge.

This map hasn't gotten any love in weeks, so here's an update.

ā€¢ As per concerns about color blind friendliness, I've swapped the colors around and made some more pronounced. It is now easier for me to distinguish the colors, though i can't speak for everybody else.

ā€¢ Added a sea attack route from Calcutta to Aracan. This is a better route than those previously suggested since it does not create any new border territories, but it solves the problem of Farther India being progressively easier to hold as that player expands.

ā€¢ Stuck some army counts on there - while this map is being made sans-army circles, I/we will have to consider how the army counts are going to fall, because the map is pretty busy already.

ā€¢ Moved my sig, added "China" to the east.
Captain oaktown

Re: Indian Empire (D) page 8

Postby a.sub on Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:45 am

first off, i must say, well done! i like the new look
as for it looking too busy its cuz u have waaaaay too much on the may, you have
  • aesthetic things ie mountains
  • terr. names
  • Border colors
  • Bonus names
  • RailRoad

i recommend you remove the bonus names from the actually playing area, people ae smart enough to match up colors. And if you wanna argue that a person maybe color blind, well the bonus names are so low in opacity as is that it wont make a difference. as for the aesthetic things, although necessary, it might help to reduce the opacity on those, they are so in-your-face that it distract from the map. another thing the names on unimportant things like "Bay of Bengal" are too distracting from the main picture. Dont remove them because they really do add to the feel. But make them less in-you-face ish. lastly i find some of the terr. names are poorly placed, like "ceylon" etc.

oh and on a side note, instead of using the taj mahal, it would be better to use an indian temple, most of india is Hindu and the Taj Mahal is a grave. just my two cents, indian people have this "guilty by association thing" for example, you shouldnt step over a person because thats what they do to dead people, so similarly putting a grave on the map may not be the best idea. Im not saying its a bad idea and you should conform NOW!!! just throwing out my limited knowledge.

example of a good temple to use (from wikipedia)
Click image to enlarge.
Cadet a.sub

Postby oaktown on Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:05 am

a.sub wrote:oh and on a side note, instead of using the taj mahal, it would be better to use an indian temple, most of india is Hindu and the Taj Mahal is a grave. just my two cents, indian people have this "guilty by association thing" for example, you shouldnt step over a person because thats what they do to dead people, so similarly putting a grave on the map may not be the best idea. Im not saying its a bad idea and you should conform NOW!!! just throwing out my limited knowledge

Ah, but this is intended to represent India from a British point of view. I don't think the British were overly concerned about the history of the Taj as much as they were concerned with the aesthetics of the place.
Captain oaktown

Postby a.sub on Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:12 am

oaktown wrote:
a.sub wrote:oh and on a side note, instead of using the taj mahal, it would be better to use an indian temple, most of india is Hindu and the Taj Mahal is a grave. just my two cents, indian people have this "guilty by association thing" for example, you shouldnt step over a person because thats what they do to dead people, so similarly putting a grave on the map may not be the best idea. Im not saying its a bad idea and you should conform NOW!!! just throwing out my limited knowledge

Ah, but this is intended to represent India from a British point of view. I don't think the British were overly concerned about the history of the Taj as much as they were concerned with the aesthetics of the place.

thats is an excellent train of thought! i didnt think of that, touche my friend
Cadet a.sub

Re: Indian Empire (D) page 7

Postby owenshooter on Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:14 am

oaktown wrote:This map hasn't gotten any love in weeks, so here's an update.

what are you talking about? i have just seen it and am ready to ask it to have my children!! very sweet... very kick ass... very "oaktown"... wow... the black jesus is in love...-0
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Joodoo on Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:23 am

Are the cities a separate territory?
TheSaxlad wrote:The Dice suck a lot of the time.

And if they dont suck then they blow.

:D
Lieutenant Joodoo

Postby yeti_c on Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:15 pm

Shouldn't "Farther India" actually be "Further India"?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby owenshooter on Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:23 pm

yeti_c wrote:Shouldn't "Farther India" actually be "Further India"?

C.

didn't realize that shiny new special medal was for spelling... *snicker*...-0
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby The Neon Peon on Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:27 pm

The map looks great.

I have no complaints. Might move yourself to Final Forge.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby a.sub on Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:38 pm

The Neon Peon wrote:The map looks great.

can mods move themselves?
Cadet a.sub

Postby The Neon Peon on Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:47 pm

a.sub wrote:
The Neon Peon wrote:The map looks great.

can mods move themselves?

I am pretty sure that oak is the one who stamps everyone into the Final Forge.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas