Indian Empire [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Indian Empire (D) page 9

Postby oaktown on Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:25 pm

captainwalrus wrote:And perhaps you could make it more book-like by making the names and borders along the crease bent a little. It would take some time but it might really enhance the effect, It is worth toying with.

I did this on the original Brazil revamp entry that I'd used this background for... I intend to do it here, but it's a considerable bit of work to get this effect right for all map elements, and I don't want to have to do it twice.
Captain oaktown

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (12)
General Contribution (5)

Postby a.sub on Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:50 pm

oaktown wrote:
captainwalrus wrote:And perhaps you could make it more book-like by making the names and borders along the crease bent a little. It would take some time but it might really enhance the effect, It is worth toying with.

I did this on the original Brazil revamp entry that I'd used this background for... I intend to do it here, but it's a considerable bit of work to get this effect right for all map elements, and I don't want to have to do it twice.

good call
so what do you need to get it to the next level?
just a "I like the game play" from the general public?
Cadet a.sub

Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (6)

Postby the.killing.44 on Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:29 pm

Just a small thing, but on Calcutta the - - - - - path runs into the territory a bit. And speaking of those, they seem very rough and pixely …
Anyway I don't see anything really wrong here … nice job oak.

Major the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes
Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (4)

Re: Indian Empire (D) page 8

Postby iancanton on Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:57 pm

oaktown wrote:Bombay Calcutta route bonus upped to +5... +6 was suggested, but I had trouble pulling the trigger and going that high. It'll be bitch to hold on its own chances are it will be coupled with another bonus such as Central Provinces, and when I think of that bonus being coupled +6 seems really generous.

this is a very open map, so bonuses do tend to be on the high side compared with other maps. some mountains, perhaps next to delhi or garhwal, might act as some protection for the bengal presidency, if u consider that they won't shield the northern territories too much. the gameplay is, however, perfectly good without them.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 52
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (7) General Contribution (13)

Postby Joodoo on Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:29 am

I'm still confused about the rail lines, does holding the rail line means holding all territories that the line passes? if yes, can territories within the same rail line attack each other (ex.can Delhi attack Behar)?
TheSaxlad wrote:The Dice suck a lot of the time.

And if they dont suck then they blow.

:D
Lieutenant Joodoo

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)

Postby oaktown on Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:49 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Thanks for the stamp, ian... your suggestion about adding mountains between Northern and Bengal is good - Himalayas should be better represented on the map anyhow - but i think the move may have just downgraded northern to a +2. ??

Went back to dotted sea-attack routes. I'll play with them more.

Revised the rail bonus explanation a bit. I hope it is now more clear.
Captain oaktown

Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (12)
General Contribution (5)

Postby iancanton on Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:16 pm

oaktown wrote:Thanks for the stamp, ian... your suggestion about adding mountains between Northern and Bengal is good - Himalayas should be better represented on the map anyhow - but i think the move may have just downgraded northern to a +2. ??

actually, i think northern frontier is a +2 just now, more than a +3. when stamping, i thought it had 3 borders, but 2 of them are punjab! consider removing the mountains between multan and sindh to create an extra border, so that we don't have two bonuses whose only neighbour is bengal presidency. this ought to keep the northern frontier at +3 while not compromising bombay presidency excessively - perhaps push the latter up to +4 if u do this because it's difficult to fort within bombay presidency unless u either hold the whole bonus region or have rajpootana.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 52
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (7) General Contribution (13)

Re: Indian Empire (D, GP) page 10

Postby a.sub on Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:32 pm

i think the rail bonus is even more confusing now lol
Hold all the states a rail passes on to get the bonus
Rail:.........Bonus
A to B.........7
C to D.........-12
E to F.........3285790
Z to π.........3.14159

you get the point :lol:
Cadet a.sub

Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (6)

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:42 pm

just wondering, is that scale correct, if it isn't i think it would be cool if it was, but no big deal
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby mibi on Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:54 pm

This map is hot. Though I can not a huge fan of the ornamental title treatment. Looks incongruous.
Captain mibi

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Postby yeti_c on Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:55 pm

"scale of miles" sounds a bit funny?!

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby Blitzaholic on Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:29 pm

yeti_c wrote:"scale of miles" sounds a bit funny?!

C.

:lol:

It is unique :D
General Blitzaholic

Medals: 129
Conqueror Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (31) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (12) Map Contribution (1)
Tournament Contribution (32) General Contribution (1)

Postby oaktown on Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:30 am

gameplay stuff:
  • Removed mountains between sindh and multan... opens up northern frontiers as an expansion from Bombay Pres, or vice-versa.
  • Better legend description on railroads, I hope?

graphics stuff: nothing major. Outer glow on titles to make them easier to read. Added two mountains in bhutan. Removed both the fancy crap around the title and the "scale of miles" and gave everything some breathing room - less might be more.

Still to go - grunging everything up and creating a sense of the pages being off just a bit.
Captain oaktown

General Contribution (5)

Postby edbeard on Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:50 am

why not just "connect the cities with rail lines" ?

the word "between" makes yours somewhat awkward
Major edbeard

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Postby oaktown on Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:47 am

edbeard wrote:why not just "connect the cities with rail lines" ?

that's exactly how it started, but somebody didn't like it! :lol:

Balsiefen wrote:I assume connecting cities via rail means holding every territory the railway goes through. That may need to be better worded as at the moment as I can see confusion with people who think they only need to hold the cities.
Captain oaktown

General Contribution (5)

Postby sailorseal on Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:34 pm

It says the image has been moved or deleted
Cook sailorseal

Medals: 27
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (7) General Contribution (3)

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:38 pm

Click image to enlarge.

there's the most recent image, plus bumpin' onto latest page
i really can't find anything here, although i liked the "scale," even though i understand why you took it off. Maybe just "size scale?"
and I agree with ed on the between. "Bonuses for holding railroads connecting cities" would be better, IMO.

Major the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes
Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (4)

Postby cairnswk on Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:19 pm

oaktown, an observation if I may...the middle of the book gives the impression of some curvature to the page, but this doesn't follow through on the actual map. The map in the middle of the page in some places needs slightly more curve on the borders and rail lines and text names to flow into the "crease" rather than appear as a transparent overlay sitting on top of the pages. Particularly with the edges being so thick, the crease would be rather deep.
Private cairnswk

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby edbeard on Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:00 pm

if you don't want "Connect the cities with rail lines" then how about...

Hold each territory with the city and the rail territories *

a. in between
b. which connect them
c. other

I like option b. myself

I think this is an important case because if we have no text, many people would know what to do (but some wouldn't). Whereas if we have poorly worded text, many of these people (either those who would or wouldn't figure it out without text) will become confused because of the wording.
Major edbeard

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Postby a.sub on Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:57 pm

Hold two train stations and the states that connect them to receive the bonus
Cadet a.sub

Postby oaktown on Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:55 pm

Click image to enlarge.

edbeard wrote:if you don't want "Connect the cities with rail lines" ...

Actually, I think that sounds fine; in fact, this is how I had it weeks ago, but somebody complained. And we aren't supposed to be using the word "territories" any more. :roll: Anyway, I hope the new language - and the addition of city dots on the rail example below the text - help matters.

The only other change I've made here is putting the rail lines behind the territory ( :-$) titles.

As there have been no other gameplay concerns for weeks (months?) I'm going to begin the work of making the image look like it bends in at the crease.
Captain oaktown

General Contribution (5)

Re: Indian Empire (D, GP) page 11

Postby Teflon Kris on Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:10 pm

I agree - bending at the crease is pretty much the only thing this map could have to improve it. I imagine it being a painstaking affair - the N of Nepal will be tricky.

Fantastic idea and style.
Major Teflon Kris

Medals: 176
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (4)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30)
General Achievement (15) Clan Achievement (21) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (32) General Contribution (8)

Postby oaktown on Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:38 am

DJ Teflon wrote:I agree - bending at the crease is pretty much the only thing this map could have to improve it. I imagine it being a painstaking affair - the N of Nepal will be tricky.

Actually I just thought I'd group all of the layers on the surface of the page, duplicate them and split them left and right, then distort the inner edges a smidge. It'll just take five minutes, but as I make future changes it'll require a redo, so it would be best if this is the last thing I have to do.
Captain oaktown

General Contribution (5)

Postby oaktown on Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:33 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Here's a quick example of what the map will look like with some warping at the center crease. What I've done is grouped all of the layers that represent images printed on the page, duplicated the layers and split them left/right, warped the inner 1/8th inch or so, and brought them back together. Like I said, five minutes.

I think I may have overdone it just a bit for the first go, but I wanted to give an example. Something will have to be done to make Raipuer more readable, but everything else seems to work pretty well. I think the center of the page actually needs more grunge/shadow to sell the effect.
Captain oaktown

General Contribution (5)

Postby a.sub on Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:09 pm

i think you should give the whoel thing a slight curve, so the tips ae bent up and the crease is bent down to make it look less like an error
Cadet a.sub

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas